VGC18 Team Rate and suggestions

A few days ago I tried to come on here with 3 poorly thought out teams that were trying to make M-Chomp work. I gave up on that and started working on a more realistic and effective team. Any help would be appreciated, here is my team that is hopefully explained properly.

All of these spreads are from Smogon, any custom spreads that might help would be appreciated.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

This is a pretty basic set. I usually use this as either an offensive lead, or an early/mid-game support that can help weaken most of the enemy team. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move that will hit most pokemon pretty hard. Max attack to get as much damage out as I can, and 252 so he can outspeed most pokemon with scarf. The 4 in SpD is to survive/take less damage from STAB special attacks. Rock slide is used for flying types or other supereffectives (especially Y-Zard, pelipper, volcorona) or if I don't want to hit allies. U-turn is used to escape bad situations or leave a mark on Cresselia, maybe even both. Superpower is used on common normal, steel and ice types (M-Kanga, Snorlax, Lapras, kartana).

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 228 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Return
- Protect
- Fake Out

My mega of choice. I went for a very bulky set so I can take attacks and Lando's EQ, then dish out a large amount of damage. Since most teams I have encountered don't seem to have many reliable fighting moves, Kanga can tank pretty well.The 20 in speed lets it outspeed a neutral natured Hydreigon and other base 70 speed pokemon. Low kick is used for normal, steel and ice types (Same as before). I chose Return over Double-Edge because I wanted a bulkier damage dealer. Protect to survive a little longer, escape an EQ from Lando-T or to let Cresselia slow down opponents. Fake out is a given.

Tapu Fini @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 108 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

Standard Fini. I am going for a bulky Fini that can setup with calm mind if needed. Berry for longer survivability and to be swtiched back in.When at +1 SpA, Muddy water can deal good damage, even in the sun. It is also used good STAB and spread damage that can take care of pokemon it hits super-effectively(Enemy Lando-T, Y-Zard, Arcanine). Moonblast is a strong STAB move for when I need to focus down a pokemon or I want hit super-effectively, or something resists Muddy water (Kommo-o, Scrafty, Whimsicott). Protect to survive longer, escape an EQ, or let Cresselia Icy wind.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Standard Heatran. I used Shuca berry to surprise my opponent and survive a ground move. Usually Cresselia would have gotten off an icy wind or 2 by then, which lets Heatran get one last attack off. Heat wave is strong STAB and spread damage, focused on grass, ice and steel types (Ferrothorn, Kartana, Celesteela, Whimsicott) or to weaken other pokemon and hope for a burn. Earth power to hit super-effectively (Koko, enemy heatran). Flash cannon is another STAB move that can be used to focus down on enemies or maybe for accuracy, also used to hit super-effectively(Lele, Whimsicott, T-tar). Protect to survive and so Cresselia can use icy winds.

Cresselia @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Psychic
- Moonlight

Pure support. Icy winds everything and lets my slow pokemon get off their attacks. Berry and moonlight so it is hard to kill, it won't die unless I let it. Since it can't do much damage on its own, helping hand gives whatever pokemon it is supporting a nice damage buff, sometimes neccesary for the KO. Psychic is almost exclusively for red hp pokemon and end-game standoffs, but it can do decent damage to Naganadel if a frail set is being used.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Standard Aegislash but I went for physical stats instead of special. While now vulnerable to burn and intimidate, it does much more damage thanks to stance change. Ghostium Z for the nuke. Minimum speed to make sure it only goes into blade stance at the last minute. Shadow claw and Iron head are STAB and can hit super-effectively. Never-Ending Nightmare can severly hurt Cresselia if not OHKO. Wide guard is more of a support move to help the team, and makes it a good partner with Lando-T. Wide guard makes it immune to a freindly EQ, protects the team from Muddy water, hyper voice and Icy wind. King's Shield is to punish physical attackers and to go back into shield form.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would also appreciate if you could point out weaknesses and ways to fix it. I might need a way to take care of water types, namely Gastrodon and sometimes milotic, but I have not encountered too many and they didn't cause too many problems. Same for trick room.

Replays:
Tapu fini, Aegislash, and M-Kanga
Lando-T, Tapu Fini, Aegislash, and M-Kanga
Lando-T, Tapu Fini, M-Kanga, and Heatran

Last edited:
There’s some rather strange Pokémon choices here. Hippowdon, Magnezone and reuniclus come to mind. It’s hard to help this team out without some more text, and things like reasoning why you chose this specific Pokémon. Have a look over the viability rankings on the vgc forum.
Some things to start off, Tyranitar is regarded as the best sand setter in this meta, due to it’s great stats and secondary typing in dark. The most important thing, however, is to flesh out your descriptions.

Your descriptions are still far too brief. You haven't justified why you chose to include any of the mons on any of your teams. Particularly when looking at building a team around something unorthodox like Mega Garchomp you really should try to at least provide a reason why you chose to build around it, particularly a mon like Mega Garchomp which actually has some downside to putting on the team, being that it doesn't synergise well with either of the best intimidators in Lando-T or Mega Mence, making it hard to fit Intimidate on the team shown by the fact that none of your 3 versions have Intimidate, as well as taking your Mega slot and losing speed upon Mega evolving and being outclassed as a sand sweeper by Excadrill. Other than that you don't even say how the mons synergise with each other (you say vague things like beating ice types, but don't actually specify which Pokemon in particular and why those Pokemon give your team trouble otherwise, or why something else couldn't do the same job particularly in the case of something like Hippowdon which is arguably outclassed entirely by Ttar and Gigalith as sand setters). You also haven't explained your decisions making the sets. Your moveset and spreads are different for Megachomp for each team are different yet you don't say why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)