Other Features VGC Event Tips for an effective experience (NOT Battling tips!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. After reading the Artical Approval Guidelines, I'm pretty sure I have an original idea for the next issue of "The Smog".

Basically when attending a VGC event there a certain things you can do to enhance your experience when going. Just battling is not really fun unless you make Top Cut, so socializing is a must when going. In my article I plan to hit these key points:

Pre-Event: While some people are fortunate enough to have parents/family/friends to drive them, some people aren't as lucky. If your one of those people, consider teaming up with some other users to make a pilgrimage to an event. After all, they say getting there is half the fun! So I'll be covering the importance of carpooling/traveling together.
Event: At the event there are numerous things to do. At VGC'11 there was a display of Pokedex 3D. VGC'12 & VGC'13 were basically the same. Most notably was the addition of more Kiosk's, & Swiss rounds. So, this is just a category, with the folowing three topics being the sub-category for this.

TPCi Staff: When your at an event you may find yourself talking to some staff. It is very fun to talk to them, and discuss strategy's, even pick their brain about a few things coming up in the Pokemon franchise. For example at spring regional in VGC'12, I over heard another person almost interrogating a staff member about Keldeo, Meloetta, & Genesect. Keldeo, and Meloetta were confirmed in Japan, while Genesect wasn't. So the person must've planned this, because they showed up with printouts from pokemon.co.jp detailing Keldeo & Meloetta. Quite an entertaining site. I'm going to cover talking to TPCi staff, how helpful they can be, and how they can sometimes hint upcoming news from The Pokemon Company.

Kiosks: The set up stores found at events, usually selling a majority of TCG merchandise amongst other things such as collectable pins. I've been to three events, and I've realized that if you wait till' the events almost over (Just a tad before there packing up their merch.) you can bargain with them for cheaper prices. So I'm gonna cover the stores, what they sell, and bargaining.

Smogonites: What is an event without Smogonites attending? The answer is, it's not one. Chatting, and pre-event battling is what makes the event truly worthwile. A common thing people like to do is stay until the tournament's over, and challenge the top four, almost like the elite four challenge. It's a totally different experience to meet someone in real life than online. Basically I'll be covering the advantages of socializing and what it adds to your experience if you decide to chat.

So this is what my article is, and hope you approve it. :)

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I went to nats last year. It was plenty of fun.

I'm not sure if you've ever been to one of those larger, multi-day events but, for me, a lot of the fun took place outside of the event. We played glo-golf and went to TGI Fridays as a giant group among other things.

I'm supporting this idea but you'll have to wait for Birkal or jumpluff to make a final decision.

Yeah I've never been to nats. :( But I can elaborate, because I've read a few stories about what people do at nats & worlds. I can't give a first person account, but I can try to explain it.

This sounds pretty interesting, and if Toast is cool with it, so am I~ I've read a lot of VGC warstories in the past on the forums and thought they all sounded amazing. If you have any favourites, you could even consider linking them in the article as examples. Approved! Please go here and apply for The Smog Access, mentioning jumpluff approved you. Post here once you've done so and someone will approve you and give you some more instructions on what to do in the Article Workshop! :)

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, was caught up with other things~

You want the Article Workshop forum under The Smog main forum. Go and read the What Are We Doing? sticky thread and post that you'll be working on this article, then get started as soon as you're ready. Remember:

1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me on the forums and I'll show you how to use it).

Thanks for applying, and looking forward to your article! ^^ If you need any further help, come on #thesmog and ask for advice, or PM one of the Smog Staff with questions~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)