VGC 2023 Metagame Discussion: Regulation C

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
series 1 bss.jpg

Welcome to the VGC 2023 Metagame Discussion thread proper. Now that we have full rules for the format, we can seriously begin discussing and theorying all the awesome concepts and strategies that await us. Taking some by surprise, Series 1 bans Paradox Pokemon and the Ruin Quartet in addition to Koraidon and Miraidon. That means that the following Pokemon are banned:
:sv/great tusk:
:sv/scream tail:
:sv/flutter mane:
:sv/brute bonnet:
:sv/slither wing:
:sv/sandy shocks:
:sv/roaring moon:
:sv/iron treads:
:sv/iron bundle:
:sv/iron hands:
:sv/iron jugulis:
:sv/iron moth:
:sv/iron thorns:
:sv/iron valiant:
:sv/wo-chien:
:sv/chien-pao:
:sv/ting-lu:
:sv/chi-yu:
:sv/koraidon:
:sv/miraidon:

However, gen 9 still brought lots of new toys for us to play with, so here's a list of notable new Pokemon (note that this is not comprehensive)
:sv/meowscarada:
:sv/skeledirge:
:sv/maushold:
:sv/garganacl:
:sv/annihilape:
:sv/armarouge:
:sv/ceruledge:
:sv/farigiraf:
:sv/grafaiai:
:sv/tauros-paldea-water:
:sv/tauros-paldea-fire:
:sv/tinkaton:
:sv/cyclizar:
:sv/flamigo:
:sv/cetitan:
:sv/kingambit:
:sv/dondozo:
:sv/tatsugiri:

Of course, there are also numerous returning viable Pokemon, such as Garchomp, Arcanine, Amoonguss, Tyranitar, Sylveon, and many more, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on those in this thread too!

If you're new to VGC, be sure to check out the other links in the forum like our Discord or guide on how to start playing VGC tournaments. You might also find resources like VGCPastes, VGC Guide, or the VGC damage calculator to be useful.

Immediately after I finally catch Chi-Yu with 0 Attack IV after 3 days, they announce that the first season doesn't allow it....

Guess I'll have to wait for the next season to start playing. Same with Paradox Pokémon.

I'm 100% sure they'll all be allowed later in the format tho. They were likely only excluded as they could be considered spoilers. Like how Gigantamax wasn't allowed initially when SwSh came out.

Damn after I ground Great Tusk up to learn Headlong Rush and gave it 5 Bottle Caps.

Any other ideas for a powerful wall breaker? On a team with Quiver Dance Volcarona and Tera Normal (once I get enough shards) Dragonite

There's an in person tournament at my college this weekend and every time i try to build a team in showdown for VGC i get CRUSHED lmao

i wanna build around a tera-fire vaporeon & shiny weavile i found in the wild. any suggestions?

There's an in person tournament at my college this weekend and every time i try to build a team in showdown for VGC i get CRUSHED lmao

i wanna build around a tera-fire vaporeon & shiny weavile i found in the wild. any suggestions?
Vaporeon has an interesting niche right now as a bulky water with Calm Mind, recovery like Rest/Wish, and fat Substitutes, you could look into something like that. Even without the rest, it can pass some big Wishes for your other team members.

Vaporeon has an interesting niche right now as a bulky water with Calm Mind, recovery like Rest/Wish, and fat Substitutes, you could look into something like that. Even without the rest, it can pass some big Wishes for your other team members.
that's my thought rn, i wanna set it up for support & then give it tera blast so it has a curveball STAB. vgc doubles are so fast that I feel like one "oh I'll just use my grass type" could be game-losing for them.

i was thinking about pairing it with a leafeon sweeper because it's immune to spore, but it lost knock off which is a HUUUUUGE nerf :/

Does anyone have suggestions for using Mismagus and venomoth?

I also wanted to know which are the best teammates you think I can put on a team with scizor, pelipper, gyarados and ceruledge.

Hey,
I have some trouble with Maushold+ Indeedee
How can i counter it. Without Flatter Mane i need a good new Pokemon.

Maybe a Pkm with Rocky Helmet top?

I think Scarf Gambit Annihilape + Farigiraf is very strong as a lead for SunRoom teams. It lets you get Trick Room alongside your Torkoal with helping hand support from Farigiraf. You end up getting an almost free Trick Room + 1 for 1 in a lot of matchups turn 1.

I think Lokix might be an ok anti meta scarfer (with defensive tera type + tinted lens)
What exact set would you use? I've been trying to find a way to make Lokix work, but the best results I've had for now just seem to be from a simple set like this:

Lokix @ Silver Powder / Clear Amulet / Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
Level: 50
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Leech Life
- Sucker Punch
- First Impression
- Detect

Hi !!! I want to play amoongus, gholdengo, grimmsnarl and wash rotom... what other 2 pokemon would you add to the team? I'm new and I'm so lost

There's a pretty large tournament going on right now with some top players: https://play.limitlesstcg.com/tournament/63888ea3a527ff22cbbdfec7/standings

@VGCpastes on twitter is going to compile up some usage numbers pretty soon too:
After playing some games, I can definitely say Gholdengo is popular and for good reason. Good typing and absurd power with Make it Rain, along with a good ability is what I think is drawing a lot of people to it. Definitely a mon to prepare for in the early meta.

What would be the best ability for Dondozo? I'm currently thinking Water Veil with a Clear Amulet, so it's immune to both burns and attack drops.

[QUseOTE="ChrystalFalchion, post: 9421958, member: 278934"]
What would be the best ability for Dondozo? I'm currently thinking Water Veil with a Clear Amulet, so it's immune to both burns and attack drops.
[/QUOTE]

I Use Water veil and it was crazy how many WoW i blocked.
As Item i saw Mirrror Herb to copy others Dondozo stats. If you play well you can have a +4 Dondozo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)