Resource VGC 2019 Viability Rankings [Moon Series Update]

This is probably a stupid comment but is there any reason Rotom-H isn't on the same tier as Rotom-W? Sure it has 2 weaknesses compared to 1 for Rotom-W but it has a more resists and a more powerful/accurate STAB move in Overheat relative to Rotom-W. Both have very marginal utility against a restricted pokemon (Rotom-W against Kyogre and Rotom-H against Xerneas). I feel like D ranking for both makes a lot of sense (have not seen one on cart or ladder).

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This is probably a stupid comment but is there any reason Rotom-H isn't on the same tier as Rotom-W? Sure it has 2 weaknesses compared to 1 for Rotom-W but it has a more resists and a more powerful/accurate STAB move in Overheat relative to Rotom-W. Both have very marginal utility against a restricted pokemon (Rotom-W against Kyogre and Rotom-H against Xerneas). I feel like D ranking for both makes a lot of sense (have not seen one on cart or ladder).
rotom-w can hit kyogre and groudon for SE damage, among other threats like incineroar who is everywhere. Rotom-h still takes a ton from xerneas regardless of its resist, can't do much back to it except maybe hit it with a z-move or twave, and also doesn't like rain

rotom-w can hit kyogre and groudon for SE damage, among other threats like incineroar who is everywhere. Rotom-h still takes a ton from xerneas regardless of its resist, can't do much back to it except maybe hit it with a z-move or twave, and also doesn't like rain
Makes sense. Maybe Rotom-W for D rank and Rotom-H for D- in that case (can hit Venusaur, Kartana, Amoonguss for SE damage)?

I can’t believe you used my Cradily set and battle replay to harpoon this thread! Yes my opponent was very dumb, but the theory is still solid and it is a great Kyogre switch in, which is all I was trying to show from the limited battles I had time to do that day. I’m not arguing for Cradily to be ranked or anything. It’s a “creative” set in a whole other unrelated thread.

Also, I agree with Groudon and Volcarona being ranked higher. Though being x4 weak to rock attacks makes Volcarona a very risky choice from experience (Ho-Oh struggles with this too) as most battles have either Groudon or Kyogre and Volcarona is weak to both.
Volcarona is great against groudon teams, because it outspeeds everything but Venusaur and KOs everything but Incineroar with Z-overheat. It's a little frustrating at times because it's a groudon answer that can't switch into groudon (it's Ohko'd by PBlades) but it can switch in on venusaur and Xerneas as well making it really strong against Xerndon. Against Yveldon it's a little worse defensively since it can't come in on Yveltal, but you can lead Volcarona + Xerneas and you threaten everything on their team off the bat but incin (Stak dies to Z-fire) and threaten rage powder + geomancy as well.

I feel like there is some validity in arguing that Volcarona be placed in B+ or even A-. I wont recycle arguments posted above but it's most definitely picking up in popularity lately, not just in IRL tours but also on ladder and in NPA (essentially VGC PL) games. It has it's faults, yes, but so do other pokemon currently as high as A-, and I would argue Volcarona's aren't significantly worse than those.

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi Everyone! Thank you for all of the recent input. In the coming weeks will be putting a halt on the current moon series VR to refocus our efforts on the Ultra series VR and our new methods of organizing and presenting information. You've all spoken and given your advice and it has been EXTREMELY valuable and has enabled us to become a better resource. I don't want to continue to do things inefficiently and after this update, pending any extreme changes, we will no longer update the moon series VR beyond this coming update below, based on current usage, CP, and our poll results, as well as all discussion before this. With it already being less than a month before Ultra series, and only 1 major VGC tournament remaining (Greensboro) for Moon Series, I decided this would be a great time to start the new transition. Thank you all again for your support and I look forward to working with you all, and our new VR council, over in the new Ultra Series Viability Rankings! This post will be updated within the next 24 hours with the new rankings!

Thanks,

Netherious

Hi Everyone! Thank you for all of the recent input. In the coming weeks will be putting a halt on the current moon series VR to refocus our efforts on the Ultra series VR and our new methods of organizing and presenting information. You've all spoken and given your advice and it has been EXTREMELY valuable and has enabled us to become a better resource. I don't want to continue to do things inefficiently and after this update, pending any extreme changes, we will no longer update the moon series VR beyond this coming update below, based on current usage, CP, and our poll results, as well as all discussion before this. With it already being less than a month before Ultra series, and only 1 major VGC tournament remaining (Greensboro) for Moon Series, I decided this would be a great time to start the new transition. Thank you all again for your support and I look forward to working with you all, and our new VR council, over in the new Ultra Series Viability Rankings! This post will be updated within the next 24 hours with the new rankings!

Thanks,

Netherious
Well... There's also the Perth Regional Championship on this upcoming weekend! The 16th-17th. That's the biggest event of the year for me, so I still want viability advice this week as I'm frantically making team adjustments so I don't disgrace myself in my home town. Sorry if that's not major enough :P

I wish we had more discussion on the viability of potential Z move users. And also whether it's viable to run two Z move users on the same team or is the risk of wasting a move slot outweigh the benefits?

Netherious

some call me papa neth
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Well... There's also the Perth Regional Championship on this upcoming weekend! The 16th-17th. That's the biggest event of the year for me, so I still want viability advice this week as I'm frantically making team adjustments so I don't disgrace myself in my home town. Sorry if that's not major enough :P

I wish we had more discussion on the viability of potential Z move users. And also whether it's viable to run two Z move users on the same team or is the risk of wasting a move slot outweigh the benefits?
Totally understandable, and i think the coming update should serve as great help for this.

As for the second line, I think that's a fair topic, but its hard to justify an entire thread for it. This is definitely something we can look into. I personally do think its a case by case with HOW many z moves you run, it really depends on what you want to delete or check. I think z moves should be looked at as a way to better your matchups against certain poor matchups.

All of this aside, please see the below changes for the VR based on the poll, and current data:

Xerneas A+ --> S

Groudon A --> A+

Ho-Oh B+ --> B-

Solgaleo B+ --> B

Clefairy B --> B-

Rayquaza B- --> C+

C+ --> C-
Araquanid
Dialga
Drifblim
Gothitelle
Kommo-o
Ninetales
Pheromosa

C- --> D
Ditto
Giratina-O

Heliolisk UR --> C

Volcarona C- --> B Lets discuss this one a bit more. I'm thinking B/B+ also based on what everyone else has said.

This was a nomination received for Volcarona, and recent success still reflects this:

"
Volcarona - Results: twice in Oceania Internationals Top8, won Collinsville Regionals. Can support the team with Tailwind and Rage Powder, resists fairy, hits very hard with Z-Overheat, boosted by Groudon, faster than most restricted Pokemon, deals with omnipresent grass types. Reduced stats can be reset with Amoongus' Clear Smog or Crobat's Haze - both used anyway because of Xerneas. Grass Knot for Kyogre/Groudon (although in sun Overheat is enough).

Calcs:

252+ SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (195 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 192-226 (95.5 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Volcarona Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas in Sun: 192-226 (95.5 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Volcarona Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyogre: 116-138 (66.2 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Volcarona Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 170-200 (85.8 - 101%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Volcarona Overheat vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Groudon in Sun: 205-243 (103.5 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
"
I also went ahead and purged several extremely irrelevant pokemon from the VR. They don't add anything by being in the list and with them being gone, you won't even notice which ones are missing now ;)

Thank you all for your continued support and patience while we transition. It's been a lot of hard work and I'm excited to see where the new VR council takes us!

Last edited:
I do like Volcarona but I’m finding it hard to justify allocating the team Z move slot to it, and without the Z move it’s not really worth running.

And the set has become very predictable. You know an Inferno Overdrive is coming your way when Volcarona is on the field, and you can switch accordingly. Though the Volcarona user can predict the switch and set up Tailwind instead I guess. So yeah, I’m enjoying using it but it’s a tad unversatile offensively, especially for a Z move user.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)