Vanilluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

#584 Baibanira --
Baibanira is one of the coolest Pokémon introduced in Gen V. Despite having an awful typing, the little Ice Cream Pokémon has some chances to survive in the new metagame thanks to good base stats and decent ability.

Type Chart:

Immunities: None
0.25x None
0.50x

1.00x

2.00x

Base Stats: Hp 71 - Atk 95 - Def 85 - SAtk 110 - SDef 95 - Spe 79

Ability: Ice Body (HP is restored when it’s hailing) / Breakable Armour (When hit with physical attacks its Attack is lowered, but its Speed is increased)

Movepool:

- Move Tutor: None (probably).

- Egg Moves: Water Pulse - Natural Gift - Imprison - Body Purge (Other / Steel / 15 Power / --- Accuracy / Effect: Sharply raises speed ) - Iron Defense - Magnet Rise - Ice Shard - Powder Snow.

- Level-Up Moves: Lv1: Weather Ball, Lv1: Icicle Spear, Lv1: Harden, Lv1: Astonish, Lv1: Uproar, Lv4: Harden, Lv7: Astonish, Lv10: Uproar, Lv13: Icy Wind, Lv16: Mist, Lv19: Avalanche, Lv22: Taunt, Lv26: Mirror Shot, Lv31: Acid Armor, Lv36: Ice Beam, Lv42: Hail, Lv50: Mirror Coat, Lv59: Blizzard, Lv67: Sheer Cold

- Learnable TMs: TM06 - Toxic, TM07 - Hail, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM64 - Explosion, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM79 - Ice Breath, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM91 - Flash Cannon.

Sweeping Cream

Baibanira @ Life Orb
Ability: Breakable Armour / Ice Body
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SDef) / Rash (+SAtk, -SDef)
EVs 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Hidden Power (Ground)
- Taunt / Body Purge
- Explosion

This is probably the most effective set Baibanira can run. If you manage to switch Baibanira into a weak physical attack it can grab a speed boost with its ability and start to sweep. Ice Beam is the obvious special STAB but if you are planning to use this set with Hail support then Blizzard is the preferred option. HP Ground was chosen in the second slot because its the best way Baibanira has to hit Fire and Steel types. Taunt is there to prevent status aliments and forces the opponent to attack, preferably with physical moves but Body Purge it's a better option if you pair it with Hail since you can abuse the recovery given by Ice Body. Even if once Breakable Armour activates the attack stat is lowered by one stage, a Life Orbed Explosion coming off a nice 150 attack should be able to hit hard most Pokémon, especially in the lower tiers.

Other Options:
A stall set with Ice Body and Snover/Abomasnow support may work but it is outclassed by Walrein. Baibanira can make good use of Choice Items, especially Choice Scarf, which turns it into a decent revenge killer.

Commentary:
Baibanira is probably one of the worst Pokémon introduced in B/W. Its Special Attack is nothing impressive and good 71/85/95 defenses are hindered by a bad defensive typing and weaknesses to every entry hazard in the game. Regardless it is perfectly viable in the lower tiers.

Conclusion:
What's your opinion about Baibanira? Share your ideas with the rest of the community by leaving a comment and don't forget to like this thread.

Man, I love this Pokemon.

Unfortunately, I can't find much use for it. Explosion is neat, though. But only one resistance to four weaknesses, which are fairly common...

Eh, I can see it working with Abomasnow in Doubles with Protect, Sub, Blizzard and Taunt. Kinda hoping for Helping Hand.

Wait, does his shiny form come in strawberry?

I'd say Hail stall would be his best bet..

Baibanira
@ Leftovers
- Protect
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Hail

Bring it in on something it can resist (err... Ice), set Hail up and try to hang on until stuff dies with Protect and Subs.
Abilitywise, Breakable Armour could let it get a Speed boost switching into a weak Physical attack, meaning you have more chance of setting up Hail/Substitutes ahead of opponent. Ice Body would obviously let it heal faster and be able to set up Substitutes more regularly.
Blizzard is for getting off the odd attack. With 110 SpA and the Hail accuracy boost, it isn't too shabby.

Egg moves:

バニプッチ (Banipuchii) :
Water Pulse
Natural Gift
Imprison
[M475]Body Purge
Iron Defense
Magnet Rise
Ice Shard
Powder Snow
Body Purge - Other / Steel / 15 Power / --- Accuracy / Effect: Sharply raises speed
Move tutor: probably none. BW's move tutors are really underwhelming.

Given Baibanira's subpar speed, Body Purge might be useful for something.

@Howabe: I don't know where did you look up, I wrote what I found in the Serebii strategy dex.
Anyway, as I already said a Hail Abuser set is outclassed by Walrein, which has better typing and defenses. Not to mention that if you choose Breakable Armour it wastes 12% of HP every time it uses the Sub+Protect combo, which is the same amount your opponent would take from Hail in two turns, and this happens only if the opponent doesn't carry Leftovers... How can that work?

@Immaterial: Thanks.

Only one resistance and 4 common weaknesses will make it hard to get in and easy to force out. Weakness to Stealth Rock means it can't switch around much and weakness to Mach Punch/Bullet Punch will make sure it won't be sweeping anytime soon.

Not really impressed...

95Atk isn't bad, why not use Ice Shard?
Also, Ice is one of the best attacking types in the game, why is Ice a bad type?
(Gotta love Ice Creams <3)

@Dark Froslass:
Ice Shard was not mentioned because without Attack investiment it can't hurt anything and a Physically based Baibanira wouldn't carry any other decent STAB move.
I know Ice is one of the best attacking types in the game but Ice is very poor defensively speaking, so it's not a very good thing to be an Ice Type Pokémon without a second typing (like Mamoswine, Froslass, ...).

i feel like even in hail, its going to have a hard to finding a place on peoples teams over its ice type brethen. Its slower than hard mamoswine, frosslass, and weavile, and much less bulky than wallreign. All of these pokemon also have better typing than it has.

is just me or this ice cream has one of the worst movepools ever cmon only learns ice atacks? then the normal return and flash canom i mean is one of the smalest movepolls i ever saw this gen

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Is that your only opinion about this Pokémon ? More constructive are appreciated, thanks.
He may not have elaborated but he is well within his rights to say that....everything about him is the epitome of a run of the mill mediocre Ice type (albeit with a cool ability and awesome character design), down to stats, SR weakness and movepool. I guess its relative bulk will get it to see a little use in lower tiers, especially with Hail stall but other then that I'll probably forget about its existence!

I think the name more accurately romanises as Bivanilla (bi + vanilla, describes its appearance pretty well).

It's a shame its movepool and typing are so poor. Its stats aren't really too horrible, and its design is pretty neat; it looks so chilled out :pimp:

Jokes aside, it's odd that its movepool includes so many Steel moves, like Metal Burst, Mirror Shot, and Flash Cannon. This guy really deserved Ice/Steel (though it would have left it with two 4x weaknesses).

@Stallion: That's true, it will probably be used only by people who really like it as a Pokémon and don't care about its power.

@Wichu: Thanks for the name input. I absolutely agree with you, if this was Ice/Steel it would have been much better competitively speaking.

Competitively, this will struggle. So many better Ice yypes with better second types. That doesn't stop it from being totally awesome. Who doesn't love Exploding Ice Cream

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alexa888 said:
Who doesn't love Exploding Ice Cream
Unfortunately, not a lot of serious parents like Ice Cream pranks, lol.

Anyways, on to the set, this actually has the potential to be dangerous offensively. May I suggest actually putting on a Choice Scarf set? It seems to be an Ice-type version of Heatran, except without an as-powerful Special Attack.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I think he best bet would be to boost his Speed and then try to sweep. He doesn't have amazing Defensive stats to take advantage of, but his 110 Sp.Atk is great.

breh

強いだね
Well.. sorry to bump an old thread but I noticed something - nobody made a Walrein set yet!

[SET]
name: Ice Body
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Protect
move 4: Taunt / HP Ground
item: Leftovers
ability: Ice Body
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe

12 EVs outspeed min speed base 80s (strange mixkens, Venusaurs, etc.); more speed can be run for min speed milotic.

Taunt is to avoid toxic, HP ground has perfect coverage.

Its so cute :PPP You could also include a ice body abuse set, as it has decent speed and might be able to taunt before your opponent can. I mean at least that's one thing wallrein can't do.

I love the design (the thought of a living bowl of ice cream going into battle is fucking hilarious, like something you'd expect to see while on an acid trip), but its movepool is shit. Decent stats, but no coverage beyond HP, Water Pulse, Flash Cannon/Mirror Shot, and the sadly nerfed Explosion. Easily one of the shittiest offensive movepools I've ever seen. Has a decent array of support moves, though.

Afro bull can go fuck itself this is going to be Gen 5's mascot fo sho..... Competitively dsnt really do much that Froslass and other ice types already do so yah probs NU might get to UU though..

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a set that can be used in conjunktion with Abomasnow:

Baibanira
Nature: Timid
EV: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Blizzard / Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power Ground
~ Body Purge
Ability: Ice Body
Item: Life Orb

Maybe not to good, but what are you going to do...

Well, didn't know Ice Creams could breed. I ain't licking Ice Creams anymore, gotta be careful you know.

Certainly, it's BST is somewhat high, but that doesn't mean it's going to be useful. Ice is still as mediocre as ever and, unless it gets something very special, it's not worth using it after all.
That seems Baibarina's case.

This thing could learn at least Spikes (better Glaile it would be)...

This thing looks like a Glaceon that can go mixed (excpet it lacks movepool) to me.

PS: why this thing doesn't learn Ice Ball?

moveset:
mirror coat
modest
252hp 252spatk 4spe
leftovers
moves
hp grass
ice beam
mirror coat
flash cannon

works on PO

modest nature
252 sp. atk, 120 speed, 136 hp
focus sash
ice beam/ice breath
hp electric/weather ball
body purge
mirror coat

this should work pretty well as a lower tier sweeper. The sash can be used for both setting up and mirror coating. The fact that it can have two roles in a team is great, as well as it is one of the few ice pokémon that actally can play htere roles. Regice comes to mind in speed set up sweeping. Can't think of a mirror coating ice type tho. Ice body can be used to heal in case the sash gets broken, while broken armor means that it can take hits from both sides, and benifit from it. Ice breath will crit (unless lucky chant, shell armor or battle armor), it can be used over ice beam if you have problem with pokémon that set up defensivly (and offensive calm minders). Weather ball can be used in a sun/rain team for a bit more power, but less coverage.

edit: The HP ev's are for a more powerful mirror coat. body purge will double its speed, so you can go with very low speed investment, but only if you run ice body, as breakable armor only will raise the speed by 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)