Gen 3 UUBL Bad Stall

Hello Friends,

I am the host of the ADV League discord server, a place where we host seasonal ADV OU team tours, and also Gen 3 OM side tours.

Right now all round good guy JabbaTheGriffin is hosting a UUBL open. I'm going to submit a team here for analysis every week until I'm out.
Week 1 brought 3 teams. 1 was ripped from UD, the 2nd was sun HO. This team i brought into the opening match of my set and I have been quite happy with.

Let's take a look: https://pokepast.es/05fe09ae8bfbb1fe

:omastar:
I knew I wanted to bring some kind of slower spikes team this week. Although in OU I'm mainly known for "Waking up and choosing violence" (Triangles, 2022), I also play a lot with slower, pivot heavy Forretress stuff, particularly stuff which relies on unconventional synergies. Unfortunately in this tier, there exists no mon which can both spike and spin. I chose Omastar because of its high base defence, access to 2 strong stab moves which threaten common spinners, its use of the ability shell armour, and access to the move thief. This mon can reliably set up spikes without inviting in spinners. It is status weak and takes a chunk from EQ, but I found other ways around it in the builder.

:ludicolo:
I have been wanting to try this set in OU for a long time. Rain dish heals you in rain, while also boosting the power of surf. Combine this with subseed and you have a near unkillable tank with special resistances to wear down your opponents.

:registeel:
This is another set in OU which I have played with, and thought UUBL would be the best place for. This set can struggle from being passive and getting caught asleep. Again, I found ways later on in the builder to combat this issue. Registeel has great bulk, and is an ideal switch to mixed attackers, and generally a good scouting tool.

:dragonite:
At this point, it became clear that I needed something that wasnt grounded, something that could phase, something that could outspeed marrowak AND something that could heal the rest of my team. This is where Dnite comes in. This set is bulky enough to tnk special and physical hits, all while disrupting the flow of my opponents strategies. Combined with spikes it makes for a neat way to finish opposing mons.

:umbreon:
It was also clear that while i had tools to combat come set up, i was also weak to calm mind users. I also wanted a wish passer and a toxic user. Enter psych up Umbreon. I have faith in the rest of my team to ware down ghosts, so I dropped pursuit. The ability to use psych up and pass CM boosts to Dnite, have it phase the opponent and then go on a tear with Dragon Claw is not something I've gotten to do yet, but I am excited for it maybe happening.

:donphan:
I was missing 2 things: A spinner, an electric resist, and a non EQ weak rock resist. Donphan is all 3.

Here is the replay of it getting use: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen3ou-1763864503
Here I got an OK MU. Physical set up with no spikes. I got the thief off on his Ludi early, which benefitted me in the long run. The combination of Dnit + Registeel as a defensive combo shut down any chances for his lastmon Tauros.

Roast me.

Hey. Since you're asking to get roasted, I'm going to take the bait as an excuse to talk about UUBL, something I get the chance to do once to twice a year. I'm very aware that it's not intended to be an optimized team but I'll give serious sounding feedbacks nonetheless in case you or someone else reading would want to make a solid competitive team.

You could use a better answer to Fighting-types in general. The lack of HP Flying on Dnite makes it quite unreliable against Medicham and Blaziken, and it's not the best check to them already since it takes a ton from CB / BU / SD boosted Rock Slide or HP Ice from mixed Blaziken. Donphan can alleviate the issue but cannot afford to switch on a Fire Blast and boosted Brick Break from Medichem will take their toll quickly. BU Medicham and even Machamp especially can possibly 6-0 by themselves on paper. Hariyama is less immediately threatening but Knock Off pretty much ruins that Dragonite and Donphan hates it as well, especially if Spikes are factor and you need Donphan to clear them up. Consider using Weezing, possibly with HP Ice if you're afraid of Sub variants of Marowak and Rhydon (it also makes for a better DD Dnite check than your own current Dnite).

Surely you are aware already, but you're being very optimistic with that Umbreon + Dnite gameplan against CMers (and those sets in general). Raikou is the biggest one in the tier and it almost always run HP Ice and Substitute, so your Dnite has to be healthy to even get the chance to phaze even if it got CM boosts beforehand. Entei is also susceptible of using those moves and unlike Raikou, it isn't kept in check by Registeel (though if it has HP Ice then it can be checked by Omastar and possibly other members in your team so you can afford it). There are scenarios where Alakazam can sweep as well but you have some options (Umbreon having only Toxic to damage it and getting synchronized it back doesn't help though). In case you'd favor making this a better team over giving up your fun, use Chansey (doesn't work against some Entei variants or Slowbro though) or Regice with Psych Up (loses to Entei but handle the rest nicely).

Not super common or particularly great, but SD Scizor (Morning Sun is a reliable recovery here) can clear this team depending on its moves, Dnite won't phaze it forever.

Ursaring is very likely to take a few members down each game, but it's a threat to stall in general and not very common. Same for Zangoose to a lesser extent, check for Endflail variant since at +4 Registeel and Omastar can die to 1 HP Flail, I didn't mention that about the Reversal users Medicham and Blaziken earlier but of course it applies to them as well when Dnite is in range.

There's certainly more but you might have not read to this point, but in case you did and cared then hopefully it'll help you.

The team is interesting for Bl stall but with dnite as your only phaser and the overall passivity of all your other mons including a badly timed thief I see substitutes causing potential issues especially with many of the good subflail mons residing in Bl who might not mind- or even prefer spike chip to lower them into range as well as scizors reversal and immunity to toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)