Strategy & Metagame UU Spotlight: Mega Aerodactyl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
* Please note: As this is my first article, I have requested Goddess Briyella to work with me on this one, which she has agreed to.

Mega Aerodactyl
Type:
Flying / Rock
Abilities: Tough Claws
Base Stats: 80 HP / 135 Atk / 85 Def / 70 SpA / 95 SpD / 150 Spe

Mega Aerodactyl's Beginning
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/023/e/b/mega_aerodactyl_by_nganlamsong-d6yllu8.png
  • Where it was last generation.
  • What was its primary focus pre-mega?
  • Notable pre gen 6 sets and strategy.

Rise to Power
  • What changed for it in gen 6?
  • The main differences between pre and post mega evolution.
  • Where does this leave the tier?

Playing With Mega Aerodactyl
  • Analysis type section where I will discuss 2 primary sets, going into details regarding the moves, battle strategy, and potential of Mega Aerodactyl as a whole.
  • Team Options.
  • Other Options.
  • Checks and Counters.
  • Creative Teambuilding Options.

Playing Against Mega Aerodactyl
  • Go into detail regarding checks and counters.
  • Go into detail regarding playing around Mega Aerodactyl's speed, movepool, and powerful Attack.
  • Specific battle strategy and case scenarios.

Conclusion
  • Fluff summary of the entire article with some suave and pizazz concluding thoughts on the Underused Metagame being heavily influenced by this prehistoric powerhouse.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega Aerodactyl's Beginning
  • Where it was last generation.
  • What was its primary focus pre-mega?
  • Notable pre gen 6 sets and strategy.
Last Generation, Aerodactyl was largely unnoticed in UU, and dwelled in RU as the fast offensive Flying-type of the tier, since Crobat pretty much encompassed its role in UU due to better defensive typing, stronger Flying-type STAB in Brave Bird, and access to U-turn. However, Aerodactyl back then did have a lead set in UU (regular Aero still has one today though it's super rare), as well as some offensive sets with Choice Band and Life Orb/Stealth Rock, as it still had a decent niche in the tier, being able to get past stuff like Raikou and Rhyperior with the appropriate moves, which Crobat kinda can't. If you want the sets specifically: http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/aerodactyl

Rise to Power
  • What changed for it in gen 6?
  • The main differences between pre and post mega evolution.
  • Where does this leave the tier?
Everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked Aerodactyl gained access to Mega Evolution, which gave it the ability Tough Claws, and base stat changes of +30 Atk, +20 Def, +10 SpA, +20 SpD, and +20 Spe. Most notable is the boost to Speed, making it pretty much THE fastest Pokemon in the unboosted UU metagame. After Mega Evolution it's able to take advantage of coverage moves that would be otherwise less useful in general, such as Aerial Ace, Aqua Tail, Crunch, Pursuit, and even Fire Fang. This gives them a respectable damage output which complements the stronger moves in its arsenal, such as Stone Edge and Earthquake. The best thing about Aerodactyl is it's able to use its Speed and offensive presence to check offensive teams fairly nicely; most Pokemon that have come and gone through the shifting UU environment, such as Gallade, Salamence, Lopunny, Serperior, Terrakion, Staraptor, Tornadus-T, Volcarona, Beedrill, Sceptile, and many others. It can even be argued Aerodactyl constantly gets better as more offensive Pokemon for it to check are introduced to the tier. Jirachi leaving UU was also a huge boon for it as Aerodactyl lost one of its premier offensive checks, making it much easier to fit into teams. While the tier has plenty of answers to Mega Aerodactyl, such as Forretress, Mega Aggron, Suicune, Swampert, etc., it fits in very nicely due to its offensive nature.

I wrote too much and it's super late lol. I'll add in the rest later, but I think this is good to go off of for now. Sorry if I just wrote like 50% of your article for you lol

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I didn't see any objections or anything. So this is approved.

Edit: Gave you access to the workshop.

Obligatory reading:
1) Get your stuff done on time. If there's ever a situation that comes up, talk with The Smog Staff, and we'll make accommodations. The key here is communication; we need to hear from you if something is up that will prevent you from meeting the deadline. Try to get your stuff done in two weeks if possible, in order to give the GP/HTML/art team time to get everything done.

2) Don't leak any of our stuff until the release happens. This includes art and any other information. If you ever want feedback on your work or have questions, you can join us in #thesmog on IRC (if you don't have IRC, you can PM me or another staffer on the forums and I'll give you a link).

If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask The Smog Staff. When you post your thread in the Article Workshop, you need to set labels for it. You'll need to set the issue's number too. For the tags that say WIP, Grammar, etc, those are the stages your article are in. Since you'll ideally be working on the article after posting your thread, mark it as WIP. When you finish, move it to Grammar and get it checked twice by other people. Afterward is the HTML stage and someone will put it into HTML code. Your article will eventually get art done for it and it'll be complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)