SS UU UU Rain Team

I came back to pokemon showdown after a few year break and i am realy enyoing it. First i played quite a bit of OU, after an while i tried building an UU team this is the first UU team i made for SS. It did really well, after making it I quickly hit top 50. I didnt expect to do so wel with my first UU team. I think the team has a few cool sets so I wanted to share it. I havent played much gen 8 UU yet so any insights would be appreciated.

The team:

politoed-f.png

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump / scald
- Encore
- Toxic
- Ice Beam / scald

Politoed is the only drizzle pokemon in the tier so an autoinclude on an rain team. The main problem with politoad is that it is slow and does not do much so it loses tempo. I gave my politoad max sp atk and hydro pump so it does more damage then most people expect and can even break some walls in rain. Encore is used to give my sweepers an save switch in. Toxic helps the rest of the team break some walls like slowking. Ice beam is good coverage but is quite weak. Scald can also be used for the better acuracy and the burn chance but it is not as strong as hydro pump and dropping ice beam would mean you mis some coverage. I dont use weather ball on pollitoad becauce i want to hit hipowdon as hard as politoad can.

amoonguss.png

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Spore

In rain you have to switch politoad out but often you dont want to risk your sweepers. Amoonguss is the sponge that tanks the hits on this team. It apreciates rain weakening fire attacks. Amoongusses typing let it tank powerfull grass/electric attacks aimed at politoed and eject button let you switch in an sweeper for free while regenerator heals the hit. After the eject button is used amoonguss can stil create free pivots with spore. it can also do good damage with sludge bomb/foul play when facing the right pokemon.

seismitoad.png

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Seismitoad is the first sweeper I choose. It is really fast in the rain and has nice coverage. Seismitoad is also the stealth rock setter for the team. Seismitoad can also switch in to electric attacks aimed at politoed but you have to be carefull not to take any neutral/super effective attack.

crawdaunt.png

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Crawdaunt is an really strong walbreaker in rain. Swords dance, adaptability, life orb and rain boosted crabhammer wil KO most mons in the tier. Aqua Jet can do massive damage to faster pokemons. Crawdaunts dark type lets it switch in to psychic attacks aimed at amoongus and knock off wil do masive damage against those psychic types.

thundurus-therian.png

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

Thunderus-Therian hits really hard with thunder and weather ball in rain. Psychic is an important coverage move that is 100% acurate even outside rain. Nasty plot lets thundurus break walls

cobalion.png

Cobalion @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Stone Edge
For the last pokemon i tried power gem Celesteela but then i had too many special attackers. After that i tried swords dance scizor who worked but i wanted an bit more speed and power and didnt really needed another strong priorety move. Then i tried swords dance cobalion and it did really good. Swords dance is used to break walls and sweep, close combat is an really strong stab move and stone edge important coverage. Substitute lets cobalion set up against amoongus and protects it against thunderwave. Cobalion is bulky enough that scizor and zarude cant ohko substitute. Salec berry is an gimmick that gives +1 speed when at 25%HP or less. Sometimes it is really good and will win games against scarf users, you can manipulate your health with substitute. Air baloon or leftovers are good alternative items.

The team plays as hyper offensive. I almost always lead with politoed and try to create free switches with encore, eject button amoongus or an immunity. Al the sweepers have at least one immunity

weaknesses:
Fast strong water attacks can use the rain against me starmie and keldeo can cause problems but you can wear them down and use seismitoad to finish them
Hippowdon ends the rain and makes weather ball rock type so it can wall seismitoad.
Conceldur is bulky enough to take an hit and does masive damage to the sweepers. Even to amoongus with facade, mach punch can OHKO crawdaunt my strongest wallbreaker

Any insight or sugestion is apreciated

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Heyyy thetom43!!! Nice team. I did a rate of another rate team a few weeks ago if you want to check that out for additional information and inspiration! This is a very cool team, it's pretty standard, and I like it. Seismitoad has gotten some usage in OU and it kinda owns in some games so I'm all for it! I'm going to break down my rate into major changes (like changing Pokemon) and minor changes (like changing sets) and give you my version of the team at the end.

Major changes:

:crawdaunt:
So I have to say, I don't like Crawdaunt here. Sure it's strong, but it hardly benefits from rain at all. It gets stronger Water-type attacks but it's still very very slow. So my suggestion, is change it to any other sweeper that benefits from rain. My suggestions are either Blastoise or Kingdra. Blastoise may be a little unconventional and unproven, but honestly so is rain. I didn't want to edit your team too much so this is what I will give you. Kingdra offers additional speed control while Blastoise is unexpected, cool, and hits like a truck if played well!
Blastoise @ Life Orb
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Water Spout
- Hyper Beam
- Ice Beam

or

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane

Minor changes:

:politoed:
Politoed is essential on rain because it's the only thing that has Drizzle, you're correct. But, at the same time, you might be forgetting that Politoed is the only thing that sets rain. What I mean is, Politoeds health is pivotal because since it is the sole rain setter, you need it alive as long as possible. So, here is the Politoed set I have that is bulky and not offensive. The best part of this set is Rest, which gets Politoed back up to full health and allows it to set rain a few more times.
Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Toxic
- Perish Song

:thundurus-therian:
If you struggle a lot with Chansey, I would suggest trying Focus Blast > Weather Ball. I haven't tested Weather Ball extensively, and while it may hit 100% of the time, Focus Blast is the only way you're breaking through Chansey.
+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 226-267 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 94.7% chance to 3HKO

vs

+2 252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 362-426 (51.4 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:cobalion:
This Cobalion set is cool, but ultimately on rain you want to dedicate the team composition to ensuring rain does what it needs to do. This Coba set acts as a late game sweeper but forfeits any of Cobalions early or mid-game utility. So I opted to swap Cobalion to Rocky Helmet with Iron Head instead of Substitute.

:politoed::amoonguss::seismitoad::thundurus-therian::cobalion::blastoise:/:kingdra:

Here is the paste. This team is cool and I think it's solid! Rain is a little fishy but what can you do. I think that Kingdra might be slightly better because it helps you out more vs Zygarde but Blastoise is cooler. Let me know what you think!

thanks for your sugestions they helped. I changed the team quite an bit and think it is much better now

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Toxic
- Rain Dance
I did make Politoed bulky, i still kept encore so i can punish setup moves and get free switchins. Rain dance is to secure rain against Hippowdon and Torkoal. I dont get why perish song is recomended i dont like it, maybe i am using it wrong. Rest can keep politoad healthy but it is really pasive maybe i should swap Encore for rest.

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Rain Dance
- Foul Play
- Spore
I gave Amoonguss rain dance for an last ditch effort to support the team if politoad fainted

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
Focus Blast is better then Weather Ball

Kingdra @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flip Turn
I do really like Kingdra it really helps against fast water types with an 4 times water resist and huricane is really good coverage against grass types and Conceldur

Kabutops @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Flip Turn
- Stone Edge
- Liquidation
I didnt like Kingdra and seismitoad on the same team chansey and slowking are too specially bulky. After testing a lot of pokemon i like Kabutops the most but stil use other pokemons in this slot sometimes like Azumaril, Crawdawnt, Keldeo or Seismitoad.

Cobalion @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
With safety goggles Cobalion can stil 1v1 amoongus without wasting an move on substitute so it can use stealth rock instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)