UU Nominations (Round 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's the time you've all been waiting for! The time has come to choose new BL Suspects based on Smogon's criteria for banning Pokemon from a metagame. As a reminder, these criteria are:
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is BL if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.

Defensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is BL if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is BL if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
  1. You can nominate as many suspects as possible, provided you give good reasoning. Please Bold the Pokemon you nominate as Suspects.
  2. While we will not be imposing a limitation on the number of Suspects you choose to nominate, we ask you to keep it to a reasonable number of nominations in your post.
  3. Use your own reasoning and not something like "I believe that Rotom is BL because JabbaTheGriffin says so".
  4. You can't nominate against a Pokemon, that is, you can't say "I don't want Honchkrow to be a Suspect".
  5. Do not reply to other people's posts in this topic.
  6. Depending on the quality of your arguments, your vote might not be counted. However, votes will be evaluated on a less technical, more common-sense basis than in previous Suspect nominations.
  7. Only make one post. Edit all your Suspect nominations into that post.
  8. Any posts that aren't nominating suspects will be deleted.
  9. If you have any questions, please PM JabbaTheGriffin or reachzero.
  10. Votes will not be counted until after this thread is closed.
  11. While any and all users are open to nominations we ask for the sake of the integrity of the process that these votes be based on adequate experience and testing. Unlike previous tests, we will be utilizing Suspect Experience data (SEXP), so please do not attempt to nominate a Pokemon that you have not used or played against.
  12. Don't be afraid to nominate Pokemon that have already been nominated.
  13. It is an acceptable vote to bold vote "no Suspects". If you believe strongly that there are no Suspects in the current UU metagame, you may vote for no Pokemon to be Suspects.
  14. Edit: Due to time considerations (mostly that we want to give potential voters five full days to write essays) we will be closing this thread at the end of tomorrow, Feb. 26th. If you haven't written your nominations yet and are planning on doing so, now is the time!
PLEASE NOTE THAT RAIKOU AND FROSLASS ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY SUSPECTS

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I nominate Raikou under the OC.

note: i have already written a detailed voter paragraph on Raikou, so I'm not going in-depth here.

Raikou has 115 SpAtk/Speed stats, a perfect build for a sweeper. It also has Calm Mind to boost that SAtk. Now, individually, it doesn't seem broken. But combine the two, and add to that the ease with which Raikou can set up, and you have an absolute monster on your hands.

I'm referring to this:

Raikou @ Leftovers
252Spe , 232 SpA, 24 Spdef, Timid
-Sub
-CM
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Ground

there are also other good sets such as CroKou, but I'll deal with that in my voters paragraph.

One of the resons Raikou is so deadly is that its so fast.Only Swellow, Sceptile, Electrode, Alakazam and scarfers outspeed him, and out of those, Electrode is only used as a lead.
It should also be noted that none of these pokemon bar Electrode and Sceptile can even switch in safely. So, the only option left is to use Scarfers to revenge kill. And depending whether Raikou is behind a sub or not, it might be for vain.
Also, revenging isn't a very valid argument. The very fact that you need to revenge it means that it has served its purpose.

Now, as of the last metagame, we all know that Raikou can set up very easily on bulky Waters, -2 Leaf Storms, Milotic Surfs, etc, and then just kill you from behind the sub. This metagame, with the introduction of Cresselia and Porygon-Z, Raikou has an EASIER time setting up.

There are more opportunities in this metagame for Raikou to set up - Cresselia is setup fodder, Absol is setup fodder if you can predict the Sucker Punch, and even Porygon-Z can be set up on of it's not locked into tri attack.
Even in terms of revenging, Raikou fears Scarf-Z less than a lot of the tier, due to the fact that Calm Mind eases the blow.
And once it gets a couple of Calm Minds its an easy sweep.

So yeah. Die Raikou.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also nominate Cresselia under the OC and DC.

Cresselia is insanely bulky, with 120 / 120 / 130 defenses and an immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and neutral to SR. This is hugely important, seeing how common Spike Stacking is and how easy it is to SpikeStack. It may seem to have a bad typing (lol pure Psychic) but it works just fine for it in UU(can't say the same about that in OU).

Cresselia also has a great support movepool and an offensive movepool that manages to suffice. This includes Thunder Wave, Reflect, Light Screen, Lunar Dance, Calm Mind, Psychic, Signal Beam, Ice Beam, Charge beam, Rest, Sleep Talk, Substitute, and Rain Dance.

Now, we've never had a DC nominee before. So the question arises, just how much of the metagame should be considered for a DC nominee? We don't have any points of reference.

Now in the whole tier of about 55 pokemon, Cress is only really beaten by Absol, Spiritomb, Calm Mind Mismagius, and CM Raikou. This actually means that the rest of the metagame is either outstalled or outdamaged by Cresselia.

Now, Cresselia has a couple of viable movesets, all of which are good. Probably the best aspect of Cresselia is that you can tailor its sets to beat pretty much everything. Now, it may not be able to check the whole metagame with just one set, but between them, it comes damn close.
Another thing is, most counters for each type of set aren't really that different. So its not like one set opens you up to a whole new bunch of threats, only about one or two.

Now, a couple of the sets to be considered are the SubCM set, CM + Moonlight set, and Great wall Junior set(defensive Thunder Wave support). These may not be all of the sets, but they're the most important.
The bad part of these sets is that they rely on 2 move coverage. Cress uses Psychic, Signal Beam, or Hidden Power Ground most commonly.

Now, even amongst the "counters", only Spiritomb really beats it handily. Absol has to be wary of switching into a Thunder Wave or a Signal Beam. Mismagius can't switch into Thunder Wave.

On the rest of the metagame, Cresselia can just sit there taking hits forever, or set up in their faces. The SubCM set is quite deadly, due to great defenses and 101 subs, and has so many chances to set up - Venusaur locked into Leaf Storm/ Earthquake, Dugtrio locked onto Earthquake, any Donphan, most bulky waters, Hitmontop ... the list goes on and on.

It's incredibly hard to break Cresselia. Even Porygon-Z has a hard time. Rotom can't really break Cress cause of Thunder Wave. It gets worse if there's Screen support. I'm not going to give damage calcs, but suffice to say that Cress is very adept at taking hits.

Somewhat like Crobat, one characteristic helps Cress fulfill the other. The fact that it's so hard to break (DC) lets it set up and sweep(OC).

That'll be it.

Defensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is BL if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.
I would like to nominate Cressalia, who I will refer to as Cress, under the defensive characteristic. Cress walls a majority, if not all, of the metagame. Cress can be considered 'the total package' in terms of defensive prowess. Its move-pool, albeit shallow, is just right. With access to Moon Light, Calm Mind, T-Wave, Screens, PsychoShift, Trick, Trick Room, and it's signature move Lunar Dance Cress has several tools to completely undercut any threat to its teammates as well as itself. The only other moves it beckons for is Taunt and/ or Encore. Cress's movepool is backed by it's ability, Levitate, and it's Base Stat Spread. Levitate, is what I would argue to be the key factor to Cress's success. It's ability to switch-in and switch-out without having to worry about Spike (or EQ) damage is what separates it from any other wall in UU. Speaking of other walls in UU, none have a blistering base speed of base 85. As many UU players know most wall-breakers, sweepers, and most importantly our beloved Venusaur and Milotic sit at base 80 speed or in the case of Milotic base 81 speed. This of course means that Cress can be ev'd to outrun said threats and essentially take control of the situation. Access to MoonLight means Cress will be hanging around until late late end game.

I'm more of a list guy than essay.

Cress (+'s)
Levitate- Immunity to Spikes and EQ
101 Subs- Unbreakable by S-Toss, and weak attacking walls in general
MovePool- MoonLight and T-Wave is, more or less, all Cress needs to wall
85 Speed- Has the option to outspeed walls and sweepers alike, while not losing it's...
120/120/130 Defenses- Bulkier than Uxie and access to a Recovery Move

Cress (-'s)
MovePool- 4 moveslot syndrome
Attack- 75 in both attacks, has Calm Mind though
MoonLight- affected by weather
Vunerable to well timed status... what Pokemon isn't?

I would like to nominate Raikou and Froslass for suspect status (surprise!!!).

Raikou - Offensive:

Well I've said this n amount of times, so in summary:

Raikou sets up on almost half (lapprox 44%) of the top 50 Pokemon. When Raikou gets a turn or two of set up, only a small handful of Pokemon can really stop it. Of these Pokemon, ONE has a reliable recovery move (Chansey). As we all know, Chansey is a pussy and is easily removable via any mixed attacker, Pursuiter, Dugtrio, and is also not remotely viable on any team minus stall.

Choice Scarfers are offenses only chance at revenge killing raikou since it's so fast (minus Swellow). Raikou is bulky enough to survive "any" special attack from a Scarfer, so there are only a handful of Pokemon who can actually revenge kill Raikou. Very few of these Pokemon are viable otherwise.

This metagame: the ONLY emperical thing that has happened to Raikou in this test is that it has more Pokemon to set up on with Gallade gone and the ability to set up on P-z and Cresselia. Unfortunately I believe Cresselia has overshadowed it which is not a reason for it being UU.

Froslass - Support:

Deja Vu. I've said this already (my paragraphs are posted in the thread....) but here is a quick summary of why Froslass is at least a suspect:

Froslass sets up Spikes too easily. It can set up Spikes on a huge amount of Pokemon via outspeeding, or flat out not being 2HKOed by them.

Froslass cannot be spun against as it is setting them up. This is another thing that puts it over other spikers. Additionally, with some bulky EVs, Froslass can actually be built to set up Spikes and live to block Rapid Spin. It also beats 2/3 common Spinners. It Ice Beams Donphan and survives EQ and assurance. It Taunts Hitmontops Foresight. And it actually sets up Spikes on Blastoise even though it eventually loses. It also brings Blastoise to approximately 40% via Pain Split before it dies.

Easy Spikes are broken because they allow Pokemon like Moltres go from 12-15 switch-ins to approximately 2. This fulfills the "common battle conditions" aspect of the characteristic.

This metagame: Froslass, like Raikou, has only been aided. Scarf Porygon-Z and every variant of Cresselia is laughed at by Froslass because it gives Froslass free Spikes. I don't think Froslass has been overshadowed as much, however.

Nominating Porygon-Z as a suspect under the Offensive Characteristic. The most auspiciously broken set is:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download/Adaptibility
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Tri Attack
-Hidden Power [Fighting]

With this set, Porygon-Z reaches a blazing 457 Speed, with 368 SpA. One of the most important factors in getting repeated KO's is the Speed stat. 457 Speed is faster than:

- +Speed Electrode (and, by extension, aboslutely anything without a speed boost of some sort)
- Scarfed Neutral Base 100's, such as Typhlosion
- Scarfed +Speed Base 80's, such as Venusaur, as well as Altaria after one Dragon Dance
- Neutral Base 55's and +Speed Base 50's with +2 Speed, given by Rain Dish, Chlorophyll, Rock Polish, or other factors. This includes Rock Polish Torterra, Rock Polish Rhyperior, Gorebyss and Neutral Omastar in the rain, and Tangrowth and Neutral Exeggutor in the sun. None of the specifically neutral pokémon are ever run as +Speed, however.

This is an impressive list, but it is only part of the equation. The second contributing factor is the impressive coverage granted by BoltBeam, Tri Attack, and HP Fighting. BoltBeam is only resisted by Lanturn and Shedinja in UU. Tri Attack and HP Fighting both hit neutrally on Lanturn, leaving only Shedinja with the capability to completely ignore this set. While it is important to remember that Porygon-Z is Scarfed, and can thus only launch one type of attack at a time, this set works all too well as a revenge killer. Some calcs, assuming a revenge kill with Download:

+1 Thunderbolt vs. Standard Rain Dance Sweeper Gorebyss: 156.2% - 183.8%
+1 Thunderbolt vs. Standard Stalltres: 95.6% - 112.8%
+1 Ice Beam vs. Rock Polish Torterra: 221.1% - 261%
+1 Ice Beam vs. Rock Polish Rhyperior: 139.1% - 163.9%
+1 Ice Beam vs. Sunny Day Sweeper Exeggutor: 136.6% - 161.3%

Thus we see Porygon-Z's ability to stop many threats in their tracks, which could otherwise power their way through teams. Porygon-Z needs no setup to do this, unlike RP Torterra and Rhyperior, and, in a different sense, Gorebyss and Exeggutor.

Speaking of setup, Porygon-Z can run a set that counters many of the pokémon a Scarf set has trouble with:

Porygonz @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Tri Attack
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

+2 Hidden Power [Fighting] vs. Standard Registeel: 49.5% - 58.8%
+2 Dark Pulse vs. SubPlot Mismagius: 132.1% - 155.7%
+2 Tri Attack vs. ResTalk Milotic: 48.7% - 57.4%
+2 Dark Pulse vs. Lead Uxie: 81.4% - 96%
+2 Hidden Power [Fighting] vs. Curse Umbreon: 55.3% - 65.5%
+2 Hidden Power [Fighting] vs. Utility Chansey: 34.3% - 40.6%
+3 Hidden Power [Fighting] vs. Utility Chansey: 42.7% - 50.5%
(Fix0red a couple calcs. TY Diesel.)
(Fix0red again, as NP set doesn't have Tbolt. What's gotten into me?)

All of the above are also outsped by this set, excepting SubPlot Mismagius. +3 HP Fighting gives the situation that Porygon-Z is switched in on something that is physically defensive and has used Nasty Plot once. Notice that this has a very good chance of 2HKO'ing the best special wall in the tier with stealth rock and a turn of setup. The Lum Berry makes Porygon-Z immune to a retaliatory Thunder Wave for the single turn that Chansey has to live.

No pokémon operates in a vacuum. It is likely that many targets are already somewhat worn around the edges when Porygon-Z gets its say, be it through Spikes, Stealth Rock, or prior battle damage. Porygon-Z boasts a base speed of 90, which outspeeds most of the UU tier, and has phenomenal special attack, as well as access to Nasty Plot, which provides an incredible boost to its attack, and two great abilities. Adaptibility gives Tri Attack (which also has a 20% chance of basically screwing the opponent over) an even greater boost, turning many 2HKO's into OHKO's. Alternatively, P-Z can use Download, which, if switched onto the correct pokémon, provides a boost with no setup. The Scarf set wreaks havoc as a hit-and-run revenge killer. Simply pull out Porygon, and your opponent instantly risks losing their already set-up sweeper, or must switch out, stopping the sweep in its tracks either way. When a threat comes up or your prediction is bad, simply swap it out with something that can take the hit - probably a ghost, as P-Z is only weak to fighting.

The final contributing factor to Porygon-Z's dominance is that it can run both Nasty Plot and Scarf sets, and pose a danger either way. Something that may prove a hard counter to the Scarf set might be setup fodder for the NP set. Similarly, what may seem to be a NP set that has not yet set up may prove to be scarfed, heavily damaging your switch-in and forcing a second switch or even getting the kill before the supposed counter can rack up enough damage.

Simply put, Porygon-Z is quick, devastatingly powerful, and unpredictable to the degree that you may well lose a supposed counter or even the match in the process of discovering which set it is running. A pokémon with such stunning offensive abilities has no place in the UU tier.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I would also like to nominate Damp Rock as broken under the Support Characteristic. You're all familiar with it, so I'll move on to the bit where anything with a Damp Rock and Rain Dance screws everything else over. Now, I'm not saying that Rain Dance teams are the One True Strategy or anything like that, but you could probably tell a six-year-old with his level 80 Infernape and level 16 whatever-he-thought-looked-funny-enough-to-catch in DPP to make a Rain Dance team and ladder with it a bit, and he'd end up with voting rights.

Going out into unofficial but still common-sense territory, a good metagame should reward cleverness and ingenuity in teambuilding. The presence of Damp Rock, however, gives a disproportionate reward for building the sort of cookie-cutter team they'd stamp out for five cents a unit in China. This is incongruous and damaging to other types of play. For one thing, a Rain Dance team is unaffected by the ebb and flow of the metagame. Honchkrow gets Brave Bird, Stall teams scramble to reconfigure. Honch and Gallade go up and Cress comes down, Stallers breathe a sigh of relief. Nothing in the foreseeable future will drop into UU territory and shake up a solid Rain Dance team. You could play for another year with zero or very few alterations and be met with similar success. I'm not saying that timeless teams are a Bad Thing. But it is bad when a timeless team was tossed together in ten minutes, tweaked a couple times, and then left to rest on its laurels.
Damp Rock allows Rain Dance teams to stand indifferent of the fluctuations of a healthy, evolving metagame.

The playstyle allowed by 8 turns of rain requires little strategy to end the battle victorious. There are good teams and bad teams, and good teams should win most of the time against bad teams. A bad team in the hands of a skilled player, however, should stand a decent chance against a good team. This is not the case with Rain Dance teams in the current metagame. For a while, I played with a Hyper Offense team. It was quite fun, with battles lasting a dozen or so action-packed turns. The thing was, though, it had zero chance against Rain teams. Zero. Even when I knew what was about to happen, I couldn't stop it. I had a fast Taunt lead - but too bad, Electrode uses Rain Dance no matter what. After that, the remainder of the team becomes a Hyper Offense team on steroids, and my team was of the non-Barry Bonds variety. My Scarfed sweepers were slower than anything in the rain; my Banded ones were less powerful. I'm not bringing a knife to a sword fight here. I'm bringing a sword to a sword fight. But my opponent gets to call down meteors, which are on fire. And covered in angry lions, which are also on fire.

Without the Rock, the Rain team gets a whole 3 turns to sweep. Making a defensive concession or two, I might be able to stall out and do something to the Dancers. With 6 turns of sweeping, though, that's an impossible dream. If I got lucky, I'd end up with a couple pokes left, and no matter what kind of comeback I made, I was already in an untenable position. Now, there's some validity to the statement that maybe I should've prepared for every playstyle out there or whatever. But to do so would entail changing the entire team into something unrecognizable. I'd get advice to maybe put in Toxicroak or add some priority moves. But Toxicroak didn't work with my team, and I already had three freaking priority users. This isn't to tell some sob story or cry about how rain screwed me over. The point I want to make here is that Damp Rock allows Rain Dance teams unprecedented dominance over some matchups.

You'll notice that I specified the presence of the Damp Rock in the equation. There is an aboslutely significant difference between a team with rocks and one without. It's time to toss out a couple numbers.

SD Kabutops is probably the best sweeper in the UU metagame, being able to OHKO such walls as Milotic and Hariyama after a swords dance, and it always gets to go first. Even against priority, because Kabutops gets Aqua Jet. With a Damp Rock, here's how the turns go:

1. Dance
2. Switch/U-Turn
3. Swords Dance

4. Sweep
5. Sweep
6. Sweep
7. Sweep
8. Sweep
9. Switch
10. Dance
11. Switch/U-turn
12. Swords Dance?

As you can see, three turns of setup yields five turns of sweep. The turns that are italicized represent turns where your opponent more or less gets free shots at your team. If you count switching back to a Dancer, you're sweeping 5 turns out of 9. If you let Kabutops die instead, it's 5 turns out of 8. That's 55.5% and 62.5% of the time, respectively. Subsequent sweepers like Gorebyss that don't set up will net you 6 out of 8 or 9, for 66.7%-75%. Without the rock, you get:

1. Dance
2. Switch/U-Turn
3. Swords Dance

4. Sweep
5. Sweep
6. Switch back to Dancer
7. Repeat

You'll notice that this drastically reduces the effectiveness of Rain's premiere sweeper. The mighty Kabutops, which with the Damp Rock, gets five turns of +2 ATK sweeping, now gets only two. That's less than half. And he dearly needs that Rain. Pretty much anything with a good fighting attack or Earthquake (Which is only the whole freaking metagame) will do serious damage if they survive or go first. After a switch, dance, and Life Orb recoil, Kabutops is good as dead. Only two turns out of six are dedicated to sweeping under the rain, which is a paltry 33%. The difference between 55% and 33% might seem a bit smaller than it is: without the Rock, you only get about 60% of the sweeping turns. Of course, if you don't use Swords Dance every switch (and you won't), that's still 75% vs 50%, where a non-Rocker gets 66.7% of the sweeping turns that a rocker gets in a given time frame.

This might not seem too bad, and it isn't, until you remember that once the rain's gone, you get to trash the other team for a bit. With 50% of the turns being dedicated to rain sweeping and 50% to rain setting, you get an equal-opportunity slugfest against a team with limited resistances and predictable setup routines. One of the crucial points in rock vs. non-rock is that damage incurred during the initial period of rain. With the rock, you get five or six turns of Hell. Even dedicated walls often only sponge two or three turns. You're almost guaranteed to lose at least a third of your team, though half is probably more accurate unless you're running stall. This pretty much takes away your ability to utilize team synergy, as you've got a giant, gaping hole in it. Without the rock, though, you might lose one wall the first time around, plus a support if you're really unlucky, then have the opportunity to agility up or whatever and mount your counteroffensive. After that, you've probably got even odds or so (if you can figure out how to KO a single poke in 3 turns), and the battle proceeds from there, with their setups being a bit worn around the edges and vulnerable for the next time they have to set up.

This is the absolute core of the issue. Nothing can take an unlimited amount of hits, and Dancers are no exceptions. There is a fairly limited spectrum of bulky Dancers (Lanturn, Raikou, and Uxie, mostly), and it's not hard to take them down, due to the fact that they must repeatedly switch in and take whatever hits you throw at them, and then proceed to use a non-offensive move. After that, it's another switch, where you can pursuit or predict the switch (or just use Thunderbolt) to heavily damage, cripple, or kill their chosen sweeper.

The TL;DR of it all (As I'm horribly longwinded) is that without the rock, you:
1. Cannot destroy their hopes with the initial sweep, and
2. Aren't even sweeping half the time, which means that
3. You may well lose your Dancers after a couple setups, then proceed to lose horribly.

I'll now move on to reiterating a post from the megathread because I'm lazy and I want some shiny calcs.

A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep. Thus, to be eligible for support, the technique or whatever used must be:

1. Easy to use/hard to stop (It can be "consistently set up")
2. Powerful ("Substantially easier... to sweep")

So, this begs the question: How do you prevent a Rain Dance? The simple answer is that you can't. One of the commonly-used leads is Electrode. Hands up, who's faster than Electrode? Oh, that's right. NOTHING. You can nail it with Fake Out, but nothing can OHKO it without a crit. And then after that, it's got free reign to Dance while you kill it in return. There's some goofing around you can do with Technitop or a Scarfed Persian with Hypnosis, but if you want to use a non-retarded lead, it's 8 turns of Hell for you.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm nominating Electrode for BL or anything, but I just want to give an example of how freaking easy it is to set up rain. And that's just one potential lead. Ambipom makes a workable lead than can even force switches for an anticipated Fake Out while it dances unscathed. TechniTop does some fiddly stuff and can stop Ambipom if you're stupid enough to let it take a Mach Punch to the face.

Now, that's just analysis on two potential leads. Unless you want to use TechniTop for your lead (and honestly, I'd rather be able to deal with Froslass and Uxie), rain's up. Focusing on the ease of setting up at the moment over the power of Rain Dance, we'll just assume your team hasn't been swept off of the initial Dance. How do you prevent it now? That's another problem. Even if the opposing Rain Dance team sucks without its weather, it only needs one turn to put it back up again. You have to have a 100% success rate in blocking it. Maybe they switch in a Lanturn on your Hp Grass Raikou. Or maybe they catch you Sleep Talking. Or maybe you just can't OHKO their next Dancer. The point here is that it's nigh impossible to prevent a determined foe from using Rain Dance. Therefore, the use of Rain Dance immediately makes any user fit the first part of the Support characteristic in the context of its team.

The second part of the Support characteristic is that the setup makes it significantly easier for another pokémon to sweep. Showing this is too easy. Here are some random calcs from a standard Rain Dance Sweeper Gorebyss:

Surf vs. Utility Chansey: 33.4% - 39.3%
Surf vs. Standard Registeel: 48.9% - 57.7%
Hydro Pump vs. Standard Registeel: 62.1% - 73.4%
Surf vs. CM Cresselia: 45.3% - 53.4%
Hydro Pump vs. CM Cresselia: 56.8% - 66.9%
Surf vs. Defensive Venusaur: 33.8% - 39.6%
Ice Beam vs. Defensive Venusaur: 58.8% - 69.2%

Now, that's how Gorebyss (which is admittedly the most powerful sweeper on a Rain Dance team) fares against UU's premiere walls. Here are some more mundane defenders, again vs. a standard Rain Dance Sweeper Gorebyss:

Surf vs. ResTalk Spiritomb: 76% - 89.8%
Hydro Pump vs. ResTalk Spiritomb: 96.1% - 113.5%
Surf vs. Standard Leafeon: 79.3% - 93.4%
Ice Beam vs. Standard Leafeon: 141.7% - 166.8%
Surf vs. SubCM Raikou: 93.5% - 110.2%

Okay, okay, enough Gorebyss. How about Special Ludicolo?

Surf vs. SubCM Raikou: 79.5% - 94.1%
Surf vs. NP Mismagius: 94.3% - 111.5%
Surf vs. SD Sceptile: 52.1% - 61.7%
Surf vs. WishStall Clefable: 52% - 61.7%

Note that Ludicolo in the rain outspeeds Sceptile.

Kabutops time!

Waterfall vs. Utility Chansey: 86.3% - 101.7%
+2 Waterfall vs. CM Cresselia: 98.2% - 115.8%
+2 Stone Edge vs. ResTalk Milotic: 105.1% - 123.6%
+2 Stone Edge vs. SubPunch Poliwrath: 58.1% - 68.5%
+2 Stone Edge vs. Any Toxicroak: 98.4% - 115.9%
+2 Waterfall vs. Physical Tank Hariyama: 125.8% - 148.3%
+2 Aqua Jet vs. TechniTop: 87.2% - 103%

Technitop fails to OHKO back, NP Toxicroak does 67.4% - 80.3% back with Vacuum Wave, and Hariyama does about 40-50% in return. I keep trying to find something that might seem like it could stand up against Kabutops, but I think Poliwrath might be the best at taking its hits.

Oh, wait! I found something!

+2 Waterfall vs. +6 ResTalk Cradily in the Sand: 23.4% - 27.9%

Too bad you'll never hit +6 vs. a Ran Dance team. Also, Gorebyss walks in and lols at it with Ice Beam. A valiant effort, though.

The addition of Rain Dance turns potential counters into more meat for the grinder. Kabutops in particular is unstoppable. Of course, these calcs take into account a Swords Dance, which allows a free shot at Kabutops if you predict it, and Life Orb recoil will wear him down, but note that you could use a Muscle Band or whatever with similar results. Even priority users can be annihilated with Kabutops' own priority. This clearly demonstrates the awesome power of Rain Dance on offense.

But wait! There's more! In every one of those calcs listed, the attacker went first, maybe barring Hariyama vs. Kabutops' Waterfall. There are priority moves out there, but they're most effective on Kabutops, who is weak to fighting. Quick Attack and the like will do very little to anything. Extremespeed's not bad, except its users either suck are or called Arcanine and get ganked by water moves.

Therefore, the usage of Rain Dance fulfills the second portion of the Support characteristic for the assisted pokemon. In effect, it's a free +1 Atk/SpATK and +2 Speed for your entire team. That's better than a Scarf AND Specs at the same time. Six turns to sweep, six pokémon on the other team. Coincidence? I think not. Damp Rock fulfills the Support Characteristic and does not belong in the UU tier.

I would like to nominate Moltres under the Offensive Characteristic.

With just one layer of spikes (which not only Froslass can do, but pretty much any spiker) and rocks, the only pokemon that can switch safely into Moltres in the top 50 pokemon are Chansey and Altaria. Of these two, Altaria can’t do much of anything to Moltres. That leaves Chansey, who is only really viable in stall, and is easy to get rid of via pursuit, pretty much any physical attack, etc.

The biggest problem with Moltres is its Stealth Rock weakness. Yes, it is definitely an issue, but it isn’t too hard to spin away rocks. You can’t just throw Moltres on a team and expect it do well; you need the proper support, and once you can get rid of rocks via a spinner (Donphan, Hitmontop, Blastoise, etc.), Moltres will be near impossible to stop.

Having rocks spun away isn’t a necessity, however, but more of an insurance. Moltres can still roost away any damage, and since most things will be getting KOed by Moltres, most pokemon won’t get a chance to touch Moltres anyway.

With base 90 speed, Moltres outspeeds the vast majority of the tier, and most of the things that can outspeed Moltres can't take a hit from it

People also forget to realize that Moltres has 90/90/85 defenses. That means that even if something is able to switch in without being KOed in the process, Moltres usually has the natural bulk to take a hit and retaliate with another attack, and NOTHING can take 3 hits from Moltres.

Of course, I will go more in depth in my voters paragraph, but overall, those are the reasons why I feel Moltres deserves suspect status.

I am nominating Damp Rock under the support charateristic.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is BL if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
Similarly, I would understand that an item is broken if it can consistently set up a situation which makes it ridiculously easy for pokemon to sweep.

The problem with Damp rock supported Rain is that it allows a full 7 turns of pure sweeping, enough to substantially break an entire team down, if not sweep said team altogether. In my experience against proficient players using Rain, (i.e Teifu, Flareblitz), Any playstyle on from balance to hyper offense is insignificant, and it is quite the achievement to put up even a feeble stand vs Rain. The fact that Rain enables otherwise mediocre pokemon to become broken under the offensive Charecteristic is testament enough to its power. 2x STAB attack plus speeds that cannot be bettered set this above and beyond hyper offense. Add in the fact that it can be set up for prolonged periods of time make it impossibly hard for certain teams to do anything.

Realistically, the only thing these teams can do is incur massive damage until the first round of rain ends, before attempting to taunt the Rain Dancer. The problem is that a proficient player will never allow your glass cannon taunter to prevent set up. Even if you could prevent it, your team would be at <50% before your first meaningful attack due to damp rock prolonging its influence.

Even stall teams are incredibly hard pressed to come out on top. Flareblitz can back me up on this. But lets take a look at what Rain produces:

Specs Gorrebys reaches speed of 420+ and SpAtt approaching 800 (when using a STAB attack). This surpasses even Deoxys-A w/ specs.... Chansey, the premier special wall of UU cannot switch in due to being 2hko after entry hazards. I disagree witht he notion that Rain teams should not have hazards. The best teams spike with quilfish in the lead, which make this style even more difficult (if thats possible).

The combination of SD kabutops/ SD ludicolo / SD quilfish all wear down each others counters to the point where sheer force overcomes any resistance. 8 turns of rain is more than enough for this to be easily achieved. Sure, Stall team can survive, but they lack any realistic chance to prevent a second rain period which spells out gg in capitals. GG.

This psychological approach to handling rain, purely "surviving", may cut it against new players hoping to make a name for themselves with Rain, but against better players, its simply asking for trouble. Putting a raikou as the final member will spell game, with all these pokes severely weakened to the point where Thunder/HP water/Extrasensory can clean up everything in sight. And that is essentially what you will have, only walls. That is why balance teams fail so spectacularly vs rain, with a lead, and 2/3 sweepers, thats only leaves you with a single physical and special wall to survive 7 turns of rain. It just doesnt happen. Offensive teams are outsped, outstabbed to death, which is where this differs from Hyper offense.

View this post to see the vast difference between damp rock supported rain and not.

Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause
Smurf. sent out Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Golden Sun sent out u fat (lvl 100 Uxie).
Golden Sun: srry
Golden Sun: I was away
Smurf.: np
skeeterkid has entered the room.
u fat used Rain Dance.
Rain began to fall!
Uxie used U-turn.
It's super effective!
u fat lost 18% of its health.
goofball has entered the room.
Smurf. switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
The rain continues to fall.
---
u fat used Yawn.
Rhyperior became drowsy!
Rhyperior used Substitute.
Rhyperior lost 25% of its health.
Rhyperior made a substitute!
Rhyperior's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rhyperior restored 6% of its health.
---
goofball: FIRE BLAST!
u fat used U-turn.
The substitute took damage for Rhyperior!
Golden Sun: shit
Golden Sun: what to do
Golden Sun: what to do
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Gorebyss ?).
Rhyperior used Megahorn.
u fat lost 66% of its health.
Rhyperior's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rhyperior restored 6% of its health.
Rhyperior fell asleep!
---
Smurf. switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
u fat used Surf.
A critical hit!
Uxie lost 134% of its health.
Smurf.'s Uxie fainted.
u fat lost 10% of its health.
---
Golden Sun: -.-
Smurf. switched in Porygonz (lvl 100 Porygonz).
Porygonz's Download raised its stats!
Porygonz's special attack was raised.
Smurf. switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
u fat used Surf.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 369% of its health.
Smurf.'s Rhyperior fainted.
---
Smurf. switched in Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
Absol used Sucker Punch.
u fat lost 56% of its health.
Golden Sun's u fat fainted.
---
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Qwilfish ?).
Smurf. switched in Venusaur (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
u fat used Waterfall.
It's not very effective...
Venusaur lost 51% of its health.
---
u fat used Waterfall.
Venusaur lost 43% of its health.
Venusaur used Power Whip.
u fat lost 143% of its health.
Venusaur lost 10% of its health.
Smurf.'s Venusaur fainted.
The rain stopped.
---
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Uxie).
Porygonz's special attack was raised.
Porygonz used Trick.
Porygonz obtained Damp Rock!
u fat obtained Choice Scarf!
u fat used Rain Dance.
Rain began to fall!
---
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Registeel).
Porygonz used Dark Pulse.
u fat lost 14% of its health.
---
whistle has entered the room.
zz2 has entered the room.
Smurf. switched in Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
u fat used Explosion.
Absol lost 167% of its health.
Smurf.'s Absol fainted.
---
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).
Porygonz's attack was raised.
Smurf.: gg
Golden Sun: gg
u fat used Waterfall.
Porygonz lost 71% of its health.
Porygonz flinched!
---
Golden Sun: u gonna sue this log?
u fat used Waterfall.
Porygonz lost 75% of its health.
Smurf.'s Porygonz fainted.
The rain stopped.
---
Smurf.: yeh
Golden Sun: kewl
Smurf. switched in Alakazam (lvl 100 Alakazam ?).
Alakazam used Signal Beam.
It's super effective!
u fat lost 83% of its health.
Alakazam lost 10% of its health.
---
u fat used Rain Dance.
Rain began to fall!
Alakazam used Substitute.
Alakazam lost 25% of its health.
Alakazam made a substitute!
---
Golden Sun switched in u fat (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
Alakazam used Signal Beam.
u fat lost 61% of its health.
---
u fat used Waterfall.
The substitute took damage for Alakazam!
Alakazam's substitute faded!
Alakazam used Psychic.
u fat lost 115% of its health.
---
u fat used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Alakazam lost 60% of its health.
Smurf.'s Alakazam fainted.
Golden Sun wins!
Golden Sun: gg
Smurf.: gg
goofball has left the room.
Smurf.: lol ironic
Golden Sun has left the room.
skeeterkid has left the room.
zz2 has left the room.

As you can see, my team's offensive balance style was utterly dominated by Golden Sun's Rain team for the first period, causing a setback of such magnitude that i couldn't recover. Interestingly enough, once i tricked his auxillary Rain dancers, damp rock away, i was able to muster a comeback which of course ultimately fell short. But this is evidence that Rain is significantly more manageable with 5 turns rather than 8.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is with pleasure that I nominate Cresselia under the Offensive and Defensive characteristics, as well as Porygon-Z under the Offensive characteristic.

I've suspected from the very beginning that Cresselia would be able to wall a vast majority of the entire UU tier, but never before have I used a Pokemon with such strong defensive prowess that it is only is it almost completely invulnerable to 2HKOs, but it completely nullifies an entire style of play within its tier. Case in point, balanced/offensive teams have almost hope of stopping it.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/88 Sp. Att/168 Def
Bold nature (+Def, -Att)
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam/Signal Beam
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Even the most inexperienced of players know that this set running on 120/120/130 defenses is going to be extremely difficult to stop via any conventional means. Blaziken, a premiere UU force known for wallbreaking with its mixed sets does not manage to even 2HKO with a max Sp. Att Fire Blast, while Cress can easily come in on any move it uses, recover once or twice, then start setting up. NP Mismagius fails to counter it due to being 2HKOed by Psychic after a CM, Tank Venusaur becomes nothing more than setup fodder (noting Cresselia's 5 base speed advantage), even with Leech Seed in tow, and Raikou, easily the best and most threatening special sweeper in UU, could only CM alongside it and lose out in the end due to its lack of recovery.

Once people started catching on, there was eventually an influx of Drapion, Absol, Chansey, Spiritomb, and random Toxic users. And then there was Sub CM Cress.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Bold nature (+Def, -Att)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Signal Beam/HP Fighting
- Psychic/Shadow Ball

(Note: The exact stat distribute of this set is unknown, but I used the same EVs as the ones for CM Moonlight to surprising amounts of success.)

Though it may seem asinine to forgo recovery for a substitute, making this set function similarly to other sweepers like Mismagius, it remedies two of Cresselia's biggest issues on the standard CM set: status and Trick. Also noteworthy is that it effectively dissipates Chansey's hopes of countering Cresselia, as it takes two Seismic Tosses to break Cresselia's 111 HP subs, giving Cresselia ample time to continue setting up while it feebly continues to attack.

Within the past month, Cresselia has expressed its dominance by walling the entire metagame with ease and forces many of the top players to resort to stall just to beat her. Even stall teams have to answer to her partners-in-crime, Chansey, who assumes a clerical role with Heal Bell and status absorbing, and CB Dugtrio, who guarantees a kill on enemy Chansey and Drapion, as well as stopping Trick users cold in their tracks when well-predicted.

As another nail in the coffin to offensive playstyles in UU, Porygon-Z boasts 135 base Sp. Att, 90 base speed, two great abilities that enhance its sweeping prowess, and Nasty Plot to destroy anything that attempts to wall it. As fearsome as it may sound, the real star of the show isn't the Nasty Plot set, but rather the Choice Sets.

With its unimpressive defenses and lack of useful resistances, it's remarkably difficult to find a suitable time to Nasty Plot, much less expect a full-on sweep afterward. Specs and Scarf sets ignore this handicap entirely, allowing it to abuse its monstrous special attack and expansive movepool to the fullest extent. The most common switch-ins to these sets are Ghosts, Steels, and Milotic. However, good prediction can dispatch Ghosts with Dark Pulse or incapacitate walls with Trick. Even with just Tri Attack, your opponent has a 20% chance of losing out to it no matter what they do.

To shift things in its favor even further, Download is a truly broken ability for the Scarf set to wield. Even without specs, you'll most likely be getting that special attack boost anyway on the switch-in, as 49% of UU has their special defense on-par with, or weaker than their defense. The ratio becomes less even when you consider there are Pokemon that find more practicality in defense EVs, such as Blastoise, Uxie, and Mesprit. You'll essentially be facing both scarf and specs at the same time, making it that much harder to wall or revenge kill.

Specs, on the other hand, garners an amazing amount of OHKOs and 2HKOs with such amazing coverage that it's almost impossible to wall. Only a select few in UU can take a max Sp. Att Adaptability Tri Attack without getting OHKOed or 2HKOed, such as Registeel, Regirock, Ghosts, and Chansey. If Registeel or Regirock are frozen or burned, they die without doing anything. Aggron, who sports a 4x resist, takes damage in the 39.5% - 46.6% range, which is almost a 2HKO with SR damage and a definite 2HKO with one layer of Spikes. Other special walls like Milotic, Altaria, and Umbreon, are 2HKOed without a fight.

To put things in perspective, there's no such thing as a truly safe switch-in for Porygon-Z, as it usually outspeeds, cripples, or kills anything that attempts to stop it. If it's still alive late-game, you might as well forfeit.

Defensive Characteristic

The pokemon I am voting BL for it's defensive characterstic's is quite obviously Cresselia.

As soon as Cress cam down to UU I knew all hell was gonna break loose with it's monstrous 120/120/130 Defenses. Blaziken considered to be the best wallbreakers can not find away past this beast. A max SpAtt Fire Blast doesn't manage a 2 K.O whilst recovers the damage and finishes it off with pshycic. Cress has so many oppurtunities to swith in it's rediculous because it walls about 65% if the tier and can set up on basically anything that is only carrying SpAtt's and also has anough bulk to set up on some Physical sweepers. The set that I am talking about is here:

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Bold nature (+Def, -Att)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute/Moonlight
- Signal Beam/HP Fighting
- Psychic/Shadow Ball

With this set it can set up on well over 70% of the tier and can also find away around it's counters with some adjustments to the Spd ev's.

The one most important thing that makes Cress BL is it's ability levitate. With this ability it finds so many oppurtnunities to switch in and is also immune to spikes. With this immunity to spikes it can be a stall teams worst enemy because it won't be hit by toxic spikes and stall usually lacks a hard hitting poke. It has gotten so rediculous that pokes that Cress could once set up on are now carrying toxic just to find a way around her.

The one last thing that makes Cress broken is the fact if you don't know the set it has it could potetnially screw you over. Alot of people were using Absol as their CM Cress counter, Now if I were to swicth my Absol in and it was a psyhco shift Cress, my Absol is basically useless now because it will have a burn. So basically what I'm trying to say here in the last paragraph is that Cess can fit so many roles and niches that it can become damn near uncounterable and if you predict wrong it could cost you a poke or maybe the match.

*NOTE I will extend on this tomorrow it's really late

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Froslass, Damp Rock, Cresselia, and Porygon-Z for suspect. I'll make this brief because I have a more detailed paragraph for these guys.

Froslass under "Support"

Simply put, Froslass embodies this characteristic since it can set up Spikes with relative ease in common battle conditions; helping a fellow team member to sweep sufficiently easier. Froslass is normally seen in the lead slot with three common sets: Suicide, Bulky, TrickScarf. Each of these sets have their own merits. I'd like to mention its most broken set Suicide. In my opinion, this is a difficult set to face when your up against a slower team since you are guaranteed to lay down more than two layers courtesy from Focus Sash. You add Destiny Bond and Taunt to the mix, slower teams have a difficult time taking down Froslass due to the fear of losing their Pokemon from Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond and Taunt ultimately provides Froslass with an easier way to set up Spikes. Lastly, Froslass being part Ghost means that you can't spin away hazards easily.

Damp Rock under "Support"

Possibly one of the most talked-about suspect this period. Damp Rock ties to Rain Dance - a powerful and consistent style of play that requires very little effort in team building. Rain Dance also takes away the skill aspect of the game, which I believe is important. Damp Rock is the real culprit as it buys more sweepers turn to set up or dish damage while the opponent has very limited amount of time to do anything in return. With that said, Damp Rock fits the support characteristics because it adds three extra turns for Rain Dance.

Cresselia under "Defensive"

Cresselia is capable of walling a portion of the metagame with Calm Mind under its belt. For the most part, players resort to PP stalling, which only speaks volume of its ability to wall certain things. The only way to truly take down Cresselia is through Poison damage. However, some players pack Substitute or Rest to deal with this. Cresslia is no slouch offensively since it can surprisingly dish out fair amount of damage after a couple of Calm Mind's (which shouldn't be too hard.) Last but not least, I would like to point out its true aspect as a defensive Pokemon: Leviate. Levitate means that it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are strong weapons against defensive Pokemon in this tier since the are mostly grounded, which is why some potential defensive Pokemon suspects that were brought up in the past (Milotic, Registeel, Chansey) are manageable. You add the fact that it is super-effectively hit by some uncommon attacking types, Cresselia is just too tough to take down.

Porygon-Z for "Offensive"

Pz fits the offensive characteristics because it is able to sweep a portion of the metagame with little effort. People need to understand that Porygon-Z is surprisingly versatile, since it is capable of running multiple sets. The most popular sets are Nasty Plot, Bulky Plot, Choice Scarf, and Choice Specs. Nasty Plot is probably the most dangerous set since it can 2HKO-OHKO every Pokemon after a boost. For a frail Pokemon, Porygon-Z is surprisingly capable of setting up Nasty Plot thanks to its already-high Special Attack stat and excellent Speed. In contrast to other plotters, Porygon-Z's tied-and-true niche is setting up easily due to its titanic Special Attack stat combined with Adaptability, I think this is why Porygon-Z is a suspect. Last but not least, I will like to point out Choice Scarf as an underrated set. Most people are quick to judge Porygon-Z's effectiveness against offensive teams. The Choice Scarf set is a perfect example to why Porygon-Z is capable of matching up with them and why Porygon-Z is versatile.

I nominate Froslass and Raikou for suspect

Froslass for "Support"

Froslass is easily the best lead (and most broken) in UU, having 110 Speed and the ghost typing. This makes it immune to almost all priority as only bullet and sucker punch works against Froslass (with sucker punch needing slight prediction). This advantage combined with it's high speed and Destiny Bond allows it to take down at least one pokemon. Combined with it's ability to set up spikes (how a ghost without any hands can set up spikes is a mystery though) this allows Froslass to get at least one layer of spikes up and take down the opposing pokemon, or else continue to set up spikes. Access to a fast Taunt is also helpful, as it stops the opposition setting up SR or there own Spikes. The UU metagame is so effected by this pokemon, i've seen people create leads designed to stop Froslass the fear it so much, e.g. Rhyperior with Rock Blast. A great lead, but too great i think. And the other problem is that Froslass will be restricted to BL, as in OU it'll only be able to set up one layer of spikes as a lead, as Mettagross and Tyranitar both destroy it.

Raikou for "Offensive"

Raikou can set up on just over half of UU. As soon as it's behind a Sub, it's extremely hard to take down, with 115 Sp.A and Speed, this allows Raikou to outpace most pokemon to get the Sub up quickly, to block status, which is effectively the only sure way to take this thing down. The only thing that can counter it is Chansey and Registeel, neither of which should be alive if the player coordinates properly. And the fact that most scarfed pokemon are Special based, Raikou has even less to fear due to Calm Mind boosting his Sp.D to insane levels. Even with just one CM under his belt, a tri-attack from Porygon-Z only does 30%! For this reason, this is why I think Raikou should be BL.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No Suspects

Call me crazy, but I believe UU is currently fine as it is. Every Pokemon in the tier has hard counters as well as multiple checks. For example, Cresselia and PZ have Spiritomb, Raikou has a multitude of checks based on its Hidden Power, as well as hard counters in Chansey and Registeel, and Froslass has Rapid Spinners combined with Pursuit/Shadow Sneak Spiritomb (Shadow Sneak isn't completely necessary, but it can grab a KO before Froslass Spikes if it fears Pursuit.) Rain teams are different, because they are a team style and not a single Pokemon, but TrickScarf leads, Thunder Wave Cresselia and Registeel, and Tangrowth are all ways to check some of their common Pokemon. I am of the opinion that any team style can do well in this format, and that no single Pokemon leads to a massive advantage.

I haven't actively participated in this round of UU due to the pokemon I nominate as a suspect, Cresselia, under the Defensive Characteristic, but I am a proficient UU player and I know the affects it has on the metagame. In the last stage of UU, the metagame was not drastically impacted by any one pokemon, rather it had a huge amount of additions that caused a shift. This stage, however, had just two additions, and yet the metagame was turned over completely. Porygon-Z contributed little to this shift; its Speed is fairly average for UU, especially considering that many prefer the power of Modest to Timid. Cresselia is a different story though. My team, which was hugely successful in the last metagame, has an answer for every threat except Cresselia with its mammoth defenses. By taking advantage of a forced switch, Cresselia can set up a Substitute to immunize it of the best way of taking it down; toxic. After making a near-unbreakable sub, it can proceed to CM to increase its mammoth Special Defense.

It certainly walls over half the metagame, as over half the metagame fails to 2HKO it. Taking into account that it has access to an instant recovery move which benefits from Sun teams, it is really hard to take down. Levitate is another huge factor in this equation; it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, both of which keep walls such as Registeel, Milotic, and Chansey in check. Pokemon that were almost never seen in the last stage were popularized simply because you need to pack a Cresselia "Counter". Some examples are Absol and Drapion. Outside of their Dark typing and STAB attacks, they are outclassed by so many pokemon in the tier so that when there isn't an overpowered pokemon to counter, they were barely used. UU is a much more enjoyable tier when the metagame isn't centralized and defined by one pokemon.

/end rant.

I'll nominate Raikou for offensive.

Raikou can set up on the majority of UU, including Cloyster, Poliwrath, Weezing, Omastar, Milotic... you get the point. This is due to its tremendous 115 base Sp. Attack and Speed, as well as its base 90 HP and 100 Sp. Defense, allowing it to set up Substitute and/or Calm Minds on the majority of Sp. Attackers, and everything slower on it that Raikou threatens. Plus, the Substitute blocks status and the Calm Minds render it unbreakable on the special side. Most physical attackers cannot stay in on Raikou safely, and the only way I can think of that stops it is revenging it. Even so, a lot of revenge killers are specially-based (i.e., Sceptile, Porygon-Z, Alakazam, Blaziken to an extent) and the physical ones can be foiled by a Substitute. All this time, Raikou is recovering due to Leftovers, and ripping through teams. I genuinely liked UU more without Raikou (although I still like it :) ).

Through playing in this metagame I have found that I someone makes an effort to create a team that can check the biggest pokemon threats and playstyles then no one pokemon or one playstyle will prove to be overly dominating. For this reason I would prefer if there were No Suspects this round.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's with great joy that I nominate the following pokémon and item as suspects:

Damp Rock under Support Characteristic:

One of the hot topics of this stage, and with a reason. The amount of power brought to the table that 3 extra turns of rain provide (or twice the number of turns, as arguably one of them is spent when rain is set and one on the switch to a sweeper) is simply absurd. First, let's analyse rain's benefits:

Double Speed: This is huge, as once rain is on the field nothing bar Electrode (sometimes) and considerably fast scarved pokés have a shot at out speeding Rain abusers, meaning most pokés will either have to take a heavy hit or use priority to come out victorious.

Boost in water-type attacks: Yet another huge effect, as it give moves like Waterfall and Surf a BP of 120 and 142.5 respectively, and that isn't factoring STAB (not mentioning Hydro Pump's potential 180 BP, but due to its shaky accuracy it's also unreliable). That means you're being provided with an attack that is comparable to a no-drawback Flare Blitz with a flinch chance and with a slightly more powerful Leaf Storm with no drawbacks and perfect accuracy (of course, coverage is different, but considering Water-attacks' coverage is rather respectful, arguably even better than the two aformentioned ones, that's something to take note of).

Finally, a huge part of checking Rain Dance is based on spreading status with bulkier pokés, due to the fact Rain abusers have no counters, but checks at best; saccing them if the need arises and planning a sweep with faster pokés once rain wears off, but considering the absurd amount of turns that must pass until that happens, added to the fact a single Heal Bell user can just mess up all the progress made by the opponent; that shows how sacrificing half a team to beat 6-7 turns of pure hell might just turn out to be plain pointless. Had those been either 3-4 turns, the player could have been able to save some of its checks for the mid and late games, allowing him to have more opportunities of setting up a successful sweep. It's because of this group of facts that Damp Rock fits the bill perfectly.

Cresselia under Defensive Characteristic:

Bearing 120/120/130 defenses; Levitate, what makes it immune to all entry hazards but Stealth Rock, to which it isn't weak; a movepool that allows it to either beat or severely cripple most of its said counters (specially offensive ones, like Absol, Scyther, Drapion and the list goes on), so that they are as good as dead once Cresselia is gone; being a check to many, and I do mean many, pokés of the UU tier, being able to setup against most of them. Those are all key concepts for a defensive pokémon, that when put together represent perfectly what broken means. Not only that, but many pokés have to resort to PP stalling to actually beat it, which is Haze Milotic's case (and that's absolutely a pathetic way of countering something). Finally, one of the main ways of dealing with Cresselia that is through Toxic damage, is completely denied or avoidable by using Rest, Substitute and Psycho Shift, being all of them viable. All of that basically means: Almost no sure counters, ability to both wall and setup on a huge portion of the metagame, immunity to most hazards and more than one way of beating status means one thing; broken.

Damp Rock for "Support"

Unlike OU, there are far less pokemon with an ability to change the weather (only Hippoppotas and Snover and they aren't very common) so Rain Dance teams can be really devestating in UU. People are rather cautious when rain only last for 5 turns because they only have 4 turns to attack in, threats like Kabutops, Qwillfish and the rare SD Ludicolo are not as eagered to get a Sword Dance boost activated. Without that boost countering them would be much easier. Now with Damp Rock, these sweepers have 7 full turns to attack. So if they use 1 turn to set up Sword Dance or any other kind of boost they will still have 6 turns to attack under rain. Meaning they can literally sweep an entire team before the first rain set up has ended.
The fact that people will always have 2 or 3 pokemon to set up rain (most of them have Damp Rock as well) means that there will be rain up for 16-24 turns (if the set up can be done succesfully and every pokemon that could set it up will do it 1 time). Without Damp Rock this will only manage to get a maximum of 15 turns of rain (9 rainy turns less then with Damp Rock).

Not only does Rain Dance activate the Swift Swim ability it also powers up water type moves like Surf and Hydro Pump, so they become even more dangerous. This combined with water pokemon (who gets STAB as well) with high SAtk means that even special walls like Registeel need to be careful about what they do as they will most likely cannot take to much of those powerful attacks.

Porygon-Z for "Offensive"

Porygon-z is one of the most threatening pokemon in UU. With moves as Nasty Plot and access to Recover it can even set up against Chansey (with no status moves like Toxic or T-wave) and can sweep from there on. Substitute version are protected from status meaning it will alway get at least one NP up.
With a choice scarf it is also immensly hard to counter with the appropriate support and it come time after time to rage through teams. Although good prediction somewhat soften it up, there arent to many pokemon that can take repeated hits comming from 368 SAtk. And the pokemon who can shrug of hits from it a couple of times (Chansey) can be easily Trick'ed which really minimize the odds of keeping Porygon-z at bay.
With Choice Specs Porygon-z is also very dangerous reaching an SAtk stat of 607, coupled with a 160 Base Power move called Tri Attack it is sure to dent most things in UU. Porygon-z's speed of 90 is rather fast in UU so he outspeeds the majority of UU, again making it hard to counter it, especially when he has a couple of Nasty Plots under his belt.

Also Porygon-z has 2 abilities which he greatly benefits from, Download and Adaptability. Download has a 2/3 chance to raise his 125 base SAtk by one stage (If Porygon-z is switched into an opponent with higher Defense than Special Defense, it gets a +1 Special Attack boost. If the opponent has more Special Defense, this Pokémon gets a +1 Attack boost. If the opponent has equal defenses, this Pokémon gets a +1 Special Attack boost). While with Adaptability Tri Attack reaches a Base Power of 160, what is just a lot for a move with 100% accuracy and 10 PP, not to mention the 10% chance it has to burn, freeze or paralyze a pokemon so it can really kick you when you're down.
Also the fact that Porygon-z is used alot on teams who make use of a lot entry hazzard and that he is used late-game when the team is somewhat weakened makes him just to powerfull to be used any longer.

I would like to nominate: Moltres, Damp Rock, Porygon-Z, and Cressila, Aggron.

Moltres: Offensive Characteristic
Moltres is clearly one of the most potent sweepers in UU. Even with its 2x SR weakness, it can easily sweep many things in the UU tier. It 2HKO's or OHKOs every water type, after SR and 1 layer of spikes (which, is extremely easy to get up). There is no safe switch-in without a sacrifice. Air Slash is equally dangerous as HP Grass, being able to 2HKO about the only viable Water-Type to resist it: Mantine, who is SR weak and rather bad. Roost also makes is even more of a threat, being able to Roost of SR damage on an obvious switch, which basically spells "gg" to whoever it is up against.

Damp Rock: Offensive Characteristic (or Support, I'm not sure since its an item)
Damp Rock allows Rain Dance teams to basically tear through the entire UU tier, with little to no opposition. Only a few teams designed with specifics to counter a Rain Dance team can hope to stop them and/or slow them down. When you have to design a team just to counter one type of team, then clearly, something is rather broken. The most potent sweepers under rain are: Gorebyss, Kabutops, and Ludicolo. Gorebyss more or less is unstoppable unless it gets paralyzed, or the rain stops. Specs Hydro Pump has the ability to 2HKO Milotic in rain, which is fucking ridiculous. LO Hydro Pump dominates everything else. HP Grass destroys every Water/Ground that dares to oppose it. Psychic laugs at Parasect/Toxicroak who come in to absorb water attacks. Ice Beam obliderates Venusaur and other Grass types. Kabutops is severly overpowered. If it switches in on something that cannot cripple it or KO it, it can set up a Swords Dance, and then use Aqua Jet/Waterfall and Stone Edge to decimate whatever comes in its way. Ludicolo functions much the same way it can set up a Swords Dance on most things, because of its many neutralities and some common resistances. Ice Punch will eliminate any Flying or Grass type that comes in, Waterfall can obliderate most everything, Seed Bomb is a powerful STAB that wrecks just about everything that is neutral to grass and just "loling" at every grass weak 'mon.

Porygon-Z: Offensive Characteristic
Porygon-Z has become one of the most potent and powerful sweepers in the UU tier. After a Download Sp.A. which is fairly easy to get, and one Nasty Plot boost (+3Sp.A. right now) it can be just about impossible to stop. P-Z is also one of the most Versatile sweepers, capable of running multiple sets with deadly effectiveness. It has a bulky set, which allows it to survive many hits while using Nasty Plot, and then sweeping. It can run a Lum Berry set, which is more or less, unstoppable. It can run a Choice Specs/Scarf set which allows it to overpower just about everything, 2HKOing Chansey iirc. It is outsped by only 16 pokemon in the whole tier. It also has access to a STAB special move in the form of Tri-Attack, which has a 10% chance to Freeze, Burn, or Paralyze. It can also run a Trick Set which can lol at special walls after tricking onto them a Scarf or Specs. Once it stats up, it is more or less over for your team. It has few reliable counters and Head Smash has a pretty good chance to miss, which will then lead to a KO from HP Fighting.

Cresselia : Defensive Characteristic
Cresselia is by and large one of the bulkiest and most reliable walls (special or physically) in the UU tier. It is Neutral to SR and ignores spikes, the latter of which neither Steelix (the best Physical wall) and Chansey (probably the best special wall) can boast. It has a respectable Base 80 Speed stat so it can outspeed a fair bit of the Tier and, after a Calm Mind or two, it is extremely bulky. It boasts a 120/120/130 defensive spread, which laughs at attackers on both end of the spectrum. It also has an easy time getting behind a sub, with its massive bulk, it most likely won't get out from behind it anytime soon. Its ability to stall out just about every offensive team and outstalls stall teams. It also has access to moves like Thunder Wave, Toxic and Screens which further its support role, and has a reliable self heal in Moonlight.

Aggron: Offensive Charcteristic:
Aggron is quite a deadly pokemon in the UU tier. Its Rock Head ability is a godsend to it. It also learns the move Head Smash and any move with a base 150 attack and no drawback spells out "abuse." It also can learn Double-Edge which also has its recoil damage negated. There are 3 sets that make Aggron dangerous: Scarf, Band, Rock Polish. Choice Scarf makes this once slow and strong bohemoth fast(er) and strong. It boasts an astounding 180 Base Defense so it has good resistance to most physical attacks. Base 110 Attack stat is also quite respectable and nothing to scoff at. This makes its already strong attack moves, even stronger. Also, this pokemon is resistant so Stealth Rock making its sweeping ability even greater. Choice Band set makes its hugely strong attacks even stronger, allowing it to OHKO and 2HKO just about everything it damn well pleases. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side you happen to be on) it is rather slow, but that can't save everyone. Rock Polish is clearly its most formidable set. It can get up a Rock Polish rather easily and has the option of running Lum Berry (tested and works) or Life Orb to increase its attacking power/ablility. After a rock polish, it outspeeds just about everything in the tier that isn't scarfed and is outsped only by Swellow, who Aggron laughs at. This set has a destinct advantage over the others because it can switch attacks, rather than switching out. Aqua Tail says hi to opposing rock types and ground types, Head Smash is a high powered STAB, Low Kick obliderates other Aggrons and Steelixes. Sucker Punch could also be thrown in there to kill a would be revenge killer like Dugtrio.

My nominations

I'm nominating: Aggron, Moltres and Porygon-Z.

Aggron: Offense Characteristic:
Aggron is one of the deadliest sweepers in the UU metagame. After one Rock Polish, it reaches 398 speed, outspeeding the likes of Dugtrio, Sceptile and Alakazam. It can then easily sweep through teams with Head Smash, Rock Head and a base attack of 110. It's colossal base defense of 180 almost nullifies it's 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground, since almost all the attacks of those types are Physical. Then, Head Smash can defeat most of the foe's pokemon, and add Low Kick and Aqua Tail to it and you have got great coverage. It's Choice Band variant is even more deadly, as with a Band and an Adamant nature, it has a phenomenal 525 attack. Even Intimidate Hitmontop takes 45% from a CB Head Smash.

Moltres: Offense Characteristic:
Even with it's 4x Stealth Rock weakness, Moltres is capable of thrashing teams with ease. It gets Roost, thanks to he can easily just Roost of the SR damage. Like Porygon-Z, LO Moltres has no counter except for Chansey, who can easily be countered with a physical attacker partnering Moltres. Fire Blast, Air Slash and Hidden Power Grass have just amazing coverage. Hidden Power Grass is able to literally 2HKO almost every bulky water in the UU metagame.

Porygon-Z: Offense Characteristic:
Porygon-Z, since it's arrival in UU, has been the deadliest sweeper in the metagame. It has two amazing abilities, Download, which can give it a +1 in a pinch, and Adaptability, which boosts Tri Attack's base power to 160. Add to that, it gets Nasty Plot, which makes it even deadlier. A +2 Tri Attack is capable of 2HKO'ing Chansey with Stealth Rock up. Doesn't that fact sum up Porygon-Z's power? My friends and I always call Porygon-Z Brokegon-Z for that reason. Add Hidden Power Fighting and Dark Pulse to it, it get's amazing coverage and on top of it it's really fast for a UU pokemon, considering only 16 pokemon outspeed it.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Warning: due to time considerations (mostly that we want to give potential voters five full days to write essays) we will be closing this thread at the end of tomorrow, Feb. 26th. If you haven't written your nominations yet and are planning on doing so, now is the time!

I nominate one Pokemon, Cresselia, under the Offensive and Defensive characteristic.

Cresselia, with its sky high defense stats, can wall most Pokemon in the underused meta-game without fear of retribution. Even those that pose a threat purely because of typing are easily thwarted. Absol fears Signal Beam. Umbreon and Spiritomb are set up bait for Calm Mind. Scyther, Pinsir, and Mismagius must beware of Thunder Wave.

Not only is Cresselia blessed with such great bulk, but two other significant moves that make it near impossible to break; Moonlight and Psycho Shift. With the lack of Sandstorm for all but the dedicated sand stall teams, Moonlight becomes a reliable recovery move. With Psycho Shift, the option to debilitate Cresselia is gone.

And because Cresselia is such a hard pokemon to break, it becomes an offensive threat with the introduction of calm mind. Take into account of its above average speed, Cresselia is an absolute juggernaut if given the already many oppurtunities provided in this tier.

While Cresselia certainly can be countered, it is dependent completely on the move set that is being run. And even then, players will be forced to use just a handful of Pokemon, centralizing the underused meta-game.

Difficult to kill and difficult to stop, this is one Pokemon that should be removed immediately.

Moltres - Offensive Characteristic:

From my own experience in the UU tier, Moltres has always proven to be one of the most difficult Pokemon to switch into. The standard attacks Moltres runs, Fire Blast, Air Slash, and Hidden Power Grass, form a great offensive attacking core that hits most, if not all, of UU for at least neutral damage. Most players use Water-types as their initial switch-in to Moltres. However, Hidden Power Grass, coming off of a base 125 Special Attack stat, comes dangerously close to 2HKOing even the bulkiest of Water-types. For example, 248/0 Bold Milotic takes an average of 40% from Timid 349 SpA Moltres' Hidden Power Grass, which 2HKOes with a combination of Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes, and both are extremely easy to set up in this metagame. Attacking aside, taking down Moltres can prove a difficulty as well. Moltres has access to Roost, which makes stalling out Life Orb recoil a highly impossible strategy against Moltres, and it makes Stealth Rock much less of an issue (more on that later).

Although any Pokemon can claim being able to use a specialized combination of attacking moves that offer nearly unresisted coverage, Moltres has other unique traits, which in conjunction with Moltres' attacking abilities, makes it a worthy candidate as a suspect. Moltres' typing, although leaving it with a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, grants it many resistances. Among the most common attacking types in UU are Grass, Ground, and Fighting, all of which Moltres can easily switch into. After Moltres has switched in, outspeeding it is also another difficult task. Moltres has a base 90 Speed, allowing it to outpace the mean base 80 Speed group of the UU tier; this is a problem because most of the Pokemon which outpace Moltres cannot switch into it directly.

Moltres does have some weaknesses, which should be pointed out. The first weakness, and arguably the most obvious, is to Stealth Rock. However, Spinning in UU is such a ridiculously easy task that Stealth Rock isn't even an issue a large portion of the time. Consider the most common Spinners of UU: Hitmontop, Donphan, and Blastoise. All three can get past the Ghost-types of UU fairly easy, and once the Ghost-type is eliminated, Spinning is extremely easy. Other issues include the Specially Defensive walls of UU, Chansey and Altaria. While Moltres cannot easily get past either, especially the former, both Chansey and Altaria are not common enough in the UU tier to serve as consistent counters in my opinion.

So, taking into account Moltres' given combination of attacks, along with its ability to switch into many of the attacks in UU and outpace a large portion of the metagame, warrants Moltres the status of suspect.

Porygon-Z - Offensive Characteristic:

In my opinion, Porygon-Z's Nasty Plot set is too difficult to deal with by the UU metagame's standards, and as such, warrants Porygon-Z the suspect label. Porygon-Z has one of the highest Special Attack stats in the UU metagame, and when boosted by Nasty Plot, simply allows Porygon-Z to wreak havoc. Consider that either of Porygon-Z's abilities also provide Porygon-Z with another +1 Special Attack boost to Tri Attack, if nothing else. Tri Attack, Dark Pulse, and Hidden Power Ground grant Porygon-Z with an unresisted attacking combination, allowing Porygon-Z to easily beat the Pokemon which resist Tri Attack, such as Spiritomb and Registeel. In order to demonstrate, +2 369 Special Attack Porygon-Z's Life Orbed Dark Pulse deals 58.6% - 69.1% to the standard RestSTalk Spiritomb, while under the same conditions, Hidden Power Ground deals 64.8% - 76.4% to the UU Tank Registeel. Tri Attack pretty much annihilates everything else, considering it benefits from the STAB boost.

Not only does Porygon-Z has incredible attacking potential, but it also has the Speed to do so. Porygon-Z sits at a max Speed stat of 306, and as with Moltres, outspeeds the oh-so critical Speed tier of base 80. Being able to outpace the group pretty much limits the Pokemon which can switch into Porygon-Z and outpace it to Mismagius, Froslass, and Raikou, although the former two have to be wary around Dark Pulse. However, only maximum Special Attack Raikou stands a chance of KOing Porygon-Z after a CM boost with Thunderbolt (and SR damage), and that's only if it's utilizing a Life Orb (which pretty much means it loses too).

It is important to recognize when Porygon-Z can acquire the Nasty Plot boost that allows it to sweep. From my own experience, Porygon-Z has a much easier time accomplishing the task against defensive teams that lack heavy hitters. (By nature, even though offensive teams can't switch into Porygon-Z, they don't give it much room to set up in return). Since defensive teams will usually lack Pokémon incapable of outpacing Porygon-Z (and if they do, they're "frail" Pokemon), Porygon-Z utterly destroys the teams. Against offensive teams, Porygon-Z doesn't need a Nasty Plot most of the time anyways due to either the Download or Adaptability boost, which is plenty enough to make switching into Tri Attack a difficult task for offensive teams.

When you consider that most Pokémon which fail to outpace Porygon-Z are easily OHKOed or 2HKOed, and those that outpace have extreme difficulty switching in, Porygon-Z easily merits the status of suspect.

Cresselia DC- with a bst of 600(most notable 120 hp/120 def/130 sp.def) and the ability 'levitate' cress can switch in and wall/stall a good 85% of the tier. with moves like, t wave/moonlight/dual screens/calm mind, it can easily switch in on just about anything and proceed to recover, t wave, dual screen or cm and become almost unstoppable, nothing unboosted can 1hko cress, barely 2hko with more bulk. Cress' bst and movepool are just too much for the UU tier to handle.
everything else has been said

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I nominate Damp rock under the Support Characteristic.
The extra turns provided by Damp rock allows Rain Dance teams to relentlessly sweep without fail. Rain Dance sweepers provide an immediate threat to all teams when they send out

A) A boosting sweeper(Luddicolo, Kabutops, Quilfish and others) which generally run enough bulk to survive most attacks in the metagame. Once a single swords dance is used, those 3 sweepers can outright sweep the entire metagame. The sheer power of a STAB, Life Orb and the Rain itself is simply overwhelming for the metagame. Generally, there sweepers are used mid-late game where their outright counters are essentially remove. Even then, said counters take a hefty amount of damage switching in and are basically forced to revenge KO.

B) A general sweeper (Choice Specs/Life Orb Gorebyss) can already demolish teams with no time wasted. It has the potentially to destroy entire teams with it's powerful Choice Specs/Life Orb Hydro Pumps that can potentially 2HKO the strongest of special walls. (even chancey, the strongest special wall in UU is 2HKO by Specs surf with Entry hazards)

Even if you manage to neutralize said threats, your team is severely crippled and left open to a complete sweep by pokemon who thrive on weakened opponents. (Moltres and Raikou easily clean up the rest of the opponents team)

Rain in it's current is simply to powerful to reliably beat, as even a single misplay can end up costing you the match. That in my opinion is a stressful metagame that is far to taxing on most of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)