Project UU Brain Teasers

16th August Brain Teasers

Congratulations to Galactiknight for winning this session of brain teasers! Congrats to Slowpoke92i for reaching the lightning round! Hopefully I can be a new cohost :) The Questions and Answers will be below.

Question 1: In turn 1 of a standard Gen 7 UU game, a Level 100 Tentacruel leads against a Level 100 Scizor. On turn 2, the Scizor U-Turns on Black Sludge Tentacruel and Purloin comes out. On Turn 3, Purloin attempts to use Thunderwave but fails. How did this happen? Tentacruel did not know rest, protect, or substitute and Scizor only had attacking moves.

On Turn 2, the slower Tentacruel used Reflect Type on Purloin after Scizor left, giving it the dark type and thus making it immune to Prankster status moves.

Question 2: On Turn 1 of a Gen 7 UU game, a Level 100 Calm 252 HP 252 Sp Def Alomomola leads off. On Turn 3, Level 100 Timid 252 SpA Mega Houndoom with Sun OHKOS Alomomola with 100% health. Mega Houndoom did not know any boosting moves, and it did not crit with any move.

Turn 1 came out Trevanant. Trevanant used Forests Curse to give Alomomola a grass typing. Alomomola then attacks Trevanant gets hit by Eject Button forcing out Mega Houndoom. On Turn 2, Mega Houndoom sets up Sunny Day and proceeds to OHKO on Turn 3.

Venusaur is led and sets Grassy Terrain turn 1. And gets swapped out to eject button. On turn 2, Mega Houndoom comes out to Solor Beam and OHKO.

Question 3: In turn 3 of a Standard Gen 7 UU game, a Level 100 Max Attack Intimidate Krookadile is against a Focus Sash Level 100 Terrakion. At the end of the turn, Terrakion is fainted. How did this happen? Krookadile did not use any moves with side effects and multi hit moves and Terrakion was at full health (100%) as there was no hazards.

Krookadile is Rocky Helmet, removing the Sash after getting hit by a Close Combat.

Future sight was used by eject button Slowbro on Turn 1. Terrakion doesn't attack and it attacks on Turn 2, entering Krookadile. Krookadile hits it with Earthquake and Future Sight finishes it off.

Question 4: On turn 2 of a Standard Gen 7 UU Game, A Level 100 Adamant Max Attack normal attack stat (Adaptability) Crawdaunt uses crab hammer on an opposing level 100 Impish max def non stat boosted Hippowdon with only Fire Fang. How does hippo survive more than 2 Crab Hammers? Crawdaunt was not burned or flinched.

A faster Eject Palossand skill swapped Water compaction and was ejected out by Hippowdon's Fire Fang on Turn 1. Hippowdon had Passho Berry and took the first Crabhammer at 1/2 and gained defense.

Question 5: In Turn 1 of a standard Gen 7 UU game, a Glaceon without any HP and Defense Investments lead against an adamant Max Attack Technician scizor. How did Glaceon survive the bullet Punch at the end of Turn 1? Glaceon did not use protect or detect.

Glaceon used Baby Doll Eyes, and won the speed tie for priority.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
A quick notice to say that I will be moving my session of brain teasers this week to tomorrow Friday 20th September at 2pm GMT-4 instead, due to some stuff coming up irl! Will be back to Thursdays as usual afterwards.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
20th September Brain Teasers

Congratulations to Mygrein for winning this session of Brain teasers! Also wd to Cam, Red_Shaggy and Ov3r Ac3 for reaching the lightning round! Questions and answers will be below as usual.

Also to confirm that InfernoDolphin will now be joining us as a full time cohost now after his session this week :)

Question 1: On turn 1 of a standard UU game, a Choice Specs Hydreigon leads against the enemy pokemon who has a lower speed stat, and is holding a Mega Stone. The Hydreigon clicks Dark Pulse, which is guaranteed to do 105-115% damage. The enemy pokemon however survived, without swapping pokemon, and without using Endure, Protect/Detect, Light Screen, a Special Attack reducing move or Substitute. How did this happen?

Was a mega banette who used prankster magic room to remove the effects of choice specs.

Question 2: On turn 1 of a standard UU game, the enemy Gengar uses substitute, which is still intact at the beginning of turn 2. On turn 2, you swap into a FLash Fire Chandelure while Gengar uses focus blast. On turn 3, your Chandelure damages Gengar through it's substitute. How did this happen?

You lead a choice scarf Floatzel which uses Soak before the Gengar can use substitute, allowing Chandelure to use Round on turn 3 to bypass substitute and hit.

Question 3: In a standard UU game, an enemy Blissey has been skill swapped No Guard. You do not have any Ghost type pokemon remaining, and all your remaining pokemon only know Attacking moves. Blissey uses Giga Impact, and then uses Toxic on the next turn. How did this happen? Blissey was not flinched.

You used dig, dive or fly.

Question 4: On turn 1 of a standard UU game, you lead a level 100 Yanmega against a level 100 max attack max hp Brave nature Mega Steelix. At the end of the turn, Steelix still has full HP. On turn 2, Yanmega OHKOs steelix with a supereffective move that did not crit. How did this happen?

Yanmega was 252 Attack EVS adamant, holding weakness policy, used endure to avoid the OHKO from mega steelix's stone edge. Then, +2 252+ Atk Yanmega Reversal (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix-Mega: 318-376 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO.

Question 5: On turn 1 of a standard UU game, your level 100 Haxorus (not holding a z crystal) faces a 252 HP level 100 Scizor with an Adamant nature. Your haxorus uses earthquake and OHKOs the Scizor. How did this happen? Haxorus didn't crit.

Scizor was choice scarf and used a fast superpower. Haxorus was choice band and had rivalry as an ability, both same gender. 252 Atk Choice Band Rivalry buffed Haxorus Earthquake vs. -1 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 335-395 (97.3 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

23rd September Brain Teasers
Congratulations to Hogg for winning this session of brain teasers! Well done to LittleRunnerXC, who made the lightning round. Thanks to everyone who participated and I will see all of you again for the next session, the 30th of September at 8:00 PM GMT - 4. Questions and answers will be below as usual.

1. In a standard Gen 7 UU game, how does Scizor fail to get blocked by Pyukumuku? Scizor did not have any moves,items that could bring it out, like: Red Card, Eject Button, Shed Shell, Mimic and U-Turn. It was also not initially blocked, the move just failed.

Scizor got Trick Or Treated

2. In Turn 1 of a standard Gen 7 UU game, how does Stealth Rocks from Steelix not work on Alomomola? Note that rocks did not end up on the opposing side.

Alomomola used Magic Coat

3. How does Level 100 Jolly Max Attack Terrakion OHKO Max HP Max Def Level 100 Alomomola in turn 2 of a standard UU game? Terrakion was not lead in Turn 1.

An eject button Pokemon with screech uses screech to lower Alomomola's defenses by -2. Alomomola uses an attack on the Screech Pokemon, which gets swapped out into Terrakion. Banded Terrakion uses Close Combat, OHKOing the Alomomola.

4. How does Level 100 Jolly max attack Bisharp Kill Level 100 Impish Max Def Gligar with One Hit? Gligar had eviolite and Bisharp was not a Z move user, and it did not have any stat increasing moves and Gligar did not have any stats change.

In Turn 1, a Galvantula used Sticky Webs, and then switches out to Gligar. The loss of speed triggers +2 attack from defiant. And then a Defog is used and gives +2 again to Bisharp. Banded Bisharp with a Crit OHKOs Gligar with Knock Off.

5. How does Celebi gain +1 special attack when facing Alomomola? Celebi did not have Calm mind.

Celebi uses Nasty plot, then Alomomola uses Confide, bringing it down to +1 SpA

Last edited:
My apologies about this announcement but unfortunately I will not be able to host brain teasers tonight due to unprecedented events. The time will be moved to tommorow, 4 PM, GMT - 4.

Congratulations to warzoid for winning the October 1st Session if Brain Teasers!! Shoutout to Mygrein for making the lightning round!! Next week I will not be able to host because of testing and other things going on. I will see you all in October 14th!!!

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader
Due to unforseen circumstances irl, this week's session of Brain teasers will actually be on Saturday at 2pm GMT-4! Apologies if this means you can no longer make it.

Due to unexpected circumstances, my unstable Internet will get scruntinated and hopefully fixed by Monday night. We may still have teasers then but not 100% clear.

October 15th Brain Teasers
Congratulations to Sage for winning this week's session of brain teasers. Good work by bugzinator for making the lightning round with him! I will see you all in October 22nd at 8pm GMT -4!!

1. In a standard gen 7 UU game, how does Gardevoir gain +1 Attack in Turn 1? Both Pokémon had only attacking moves and no items.

Gardevoir went up against moxie Krookadile. Traced Moxie and killed with Moonblast.

2. In a standard Gen 7 UU game, how is Snorlax able to deal damage to Zeraora with Body Slam after it used plasma fits on Snorlax?

Eject button Pangoro used entrainment to give mold breaker to snorlax. Snorlax used body slam on Pangoro, in comes Zeraora. Mold breaker ignores volt absorb.

Question 3: How does Mandibuzz with 0 Speed investment outspeed jolly 252 Speed Scizor? Scizor's stats were not changed.

Scizor used Bullet Punch, triggering Weak Armor on Mandibuzz, giving it +2 speed.

4. In a standard Gen 7 UU game, how does Alomomola get toxiced by a Pokemon with only attacking moves?

The opposing Pokemon used Poison fang, or was synchronize Mew and Alomomola used Toxic.

5. In a standard Gen 7 UU game, how does a Level 100 Araquanid with 42 HP EVs get OHKOd by a hurricane from a Level 100 Timid 0 SpA Moltres without an item?

Araquanid used Magic Room the previous turn, making its Def stats not enough to live a hurricane.

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
C&C Leader
The next session of brain teasers will be Friday 26th October at 2pm GMT-4!

As these Friday sessions have had a lot of success in the past and my new schedule for this year of uni works better with it, Friday's will now be the norm for my sessions!

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder that brain teasers will begin in about one and a half hours. Hope to see you all there :)

Good afternoon to you all Eastern Timezoners! Unfortunately I cannot session today due a meeting I have to attend and a make up Calculus tutoring session :( But still come along! The questions were going to be really good! I have been having a lot going on so I was going to call the next week off, so I will session on November 7th. I seriously apologize for this, I will try to do an extra session hopefully that week :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)