Project USUM Team Building Competition (v2)! (Round 7: Vivillon)

Is Eternally a cute user?

• Yes

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 99 37.9%
  • Hai :3

Votes: 105 40.2%

• Total voters

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Congratulations to -Davon for winning Round 28!
Round 29:

Since people seem to love this Pokemon as shown by the previous round, this round is going to be Hitmonlee! I've heard a bit more talk of this Pokemon as of late, between abejas' team and some discussion on Discord, so I thought it would be interesting to do a round on a Pokemon that has clearly fallen from grace. It will be very interesting to see what types of teams people can come up with! Sorry for the two week delay, I was in a very busy spot in life so I couldn't be arsed to update it.
Deadline is (3 / 29 / 19)
Have fun everyone :toast:!​

https://pokepast.es/41f3766f5cc47e4dPursuit Trapper like Sneasel make a great teammate for Hitmonlee because it can set up and potentially get rid of the Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon that give Hitmonlee problems. A special wallbreaker like Vikavolt can overwhelm physically defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro, Garbodor, and Vileplume for Hitmonlee. A pokemon like Choice Scarf Gallade also help Hitmonlee take hits and can lure Slowbro and cripple it with Switcheroo or Trick. A Will-o-Wisp user or a Toxic Spikes setter such as a defensive Weezing helps put bulky Pokemon that resist Close Combat like Slowbro, Palossand, and Dhelmise on a timer and get some ATK down to make the Pokémon a bit less of a threat. A fire-type such as Electrium Z Magmortar also makes a good teammate because it lures Slowbro in and deal with Comfey nicely. This team is usually supposed to be a balanced team if I am correct. If you have some changes I should make to the team, speak up pls. Fun team, https://pokepast.es/052f0e3f3dee3c4f

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
https://pokepast.es/41f3766f5cc47e4d
If you have some changes I should make to the team, speak up pls

You should use Steelix over either Magmortar or Vikavolt (if over Magmortar, then make Vikavolt Z instead of Specs) as a start. From there, you still have a few more defensive vulnerabilities than ideal, but this thread is mainly here to vote on teams as opposed to rate them, so I just mainly wanted to point out the lack of Stealth Rock instead of going deep into detail on anything specific.

As for this round as a whole, it should not really be a surprise that there are no other, actually viable Hitmonlee teams posted considering it's a pretty horrible Pokemon right now. I'll throw a quick build I just tried to make with a dual Fighting core, but I do not think I would use this team seriously if you want my honest opinion.

hitmonlee sux

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
As for this round as a whole, it should not really be a surprise that there are no other, actually viable Hitmonlee teams posted considering it's a pretty horrible Pokemon right now. I'll throw a quick build I just tried to make with a dual Fighting core, but I do not think I would use this team seriously if you want my honest opinion.
lol

Simple team, turn turn into hitmonlee with rhydon as a rocker and weezing as a tspiker. Decidueye provides a form of hazard control while also not losing momentum. Just try to spam u-turn and try to get lee in. Also as a classic build of mine try to not lose to water types.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Round 1: Pangoro

Obvious choice here!
Deadline is (4 / 12 / 19)
Have fun :toast:!​

Last edited:
Reactions: GW
Pretty obvious concept at work here. The tier already lacked many solid Fighting switch-ins to begin with, and with the loss of Diancie and Slowbro, we were left with even less. Enter Fighting spam, a strategy that has gone from good to great in the new meta. Pangoro and Passimian are both very threatening 'mons that apply offensive pressure pretty easily and scare most of the tear thanks to their good coverage. The fact that they serve two very different roles despite this is what makes this team click. One is the clean-up man, the other punishes switches pretty ruthlessly. I added Comfey on top of these two because both of the fighters can pressure the Steel and Poison-types that make its life hard. Despite the fact that the meta doesn't really favor this Fairy as much anymore, I thought it was a good offensive partner to the core. Its priority is always appreciated, after all. I needed Fire resists, hazard support, and hazard removal, so Rhydon and Blastoise were no-brainers. Rhydon can also help against Flying-types that, while rare, can pretty much neutralize Pangoro and Passimian. Rocks are, as we know, vital to success. The sixth man here is Vileplume, which checks a lot of annoying 'mons like Heliolisk, opposing Comfey, and opposing Fighting-types for that matter. It has to bear a pretty big defensive burden for this team thanks to its typing, so be careful about switching it in. Overall this is a fun team to use, relying on defense as the best offense. Wearing cores down has never been easier!

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Comfey @ Life Orb
Ability: Triage
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Growth

Pangoro @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Gunk Shot

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Druddigon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Glare
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Future Sight
- Grass Knot

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle
- Sucker Punch

Pangoro is actually pretty difficult to build with, I always find myself wanting to use something else instead of Pangoro. While it may be difficult to switch into, it brings almost nothing defensively to the team. With this in mind I made a list of things I want to support Pangoro with:
  • flying resist, specifically something for Braviary and Vivillon
  • Mega Glalie check
  • fighting resist
  • Comfey check
  • some way to beat Vaporeon
  • Vileplume switch in
  • Volt Switch absorber
  • U-Turn support, a volt-turn core could be effective with Pangoro
Golbat is a good defensive partner with Pangoro. It checks Vileplume, Sub BU variants of Braviary, and all the fairies in the tier. I chose Druddigon as my rocker because it can punish U-turn with its Rocky Helmet on top of getting rocks up vs Xatu. AV Slowking is a solid Mega Glalie check while also checking Delphox, normally I use Incineroar as my Delphox check but it doesn't synergize too well with Pangoro. Scarf Togedemaru gives the team a Comfey, Vivillon, and Braviary check. I like the idea of U-turning as Steelix switches in to check Togedemaru and then go Pangoro to punch holes. Decidueye was added because I wanted something that could setup in my last slot and utilize a Z move since I haven't used it yet. I went with Sucker Punch instead of Low Sweep because Druddigon can wear down Incineroar anyways.

Last edited:
Enter Fighting spam, a strategy that has gone from good to great in the new meta. Pangoro is a very threatening 'mon that apply offensive pressure pretty easily and scare most of the tier thanks to its' good coverage. I added Golbat and Rotom because they could Volt Switch/U-Turn to just lure specially defensive Pokémon or Steel/Rock types that could pressure Golbat and Ghost types that threaten Rotom that Pangoro can OHKO with Knock Off w/ Choice Band which could do 146.25 and also OHKO with Hammer Arm. Well, it is a move with loss of speed, but I think it is worth it. Golbat's Defog is really useful for hazard removal for its' own sake and other Pokemons. I thought they were was good offensive partners to Pangoro. Its' VoltTurn is always appreciated, after all. I needed Fire resists, hazard support, so Rhydon and Vaporeon were the Pokemon to call. Rhydon can also help against Flying-types that, while rare, can pretty much threaten Pangoro. Rocks are good for success, as some of us know. I picked Vaporeon because it is very good at defense and Grass only does 20-30% if it is not boosted or crit and it has access to Heal Bell in case Pangoro is Burnt or Para'd, or even Toxic'd. The sixth man here is Vileplume, which checks a lot of annoying 'mons like Heliolisk, opposing Comfey, and opposing Fighting-types for that matter. It has to bear a pretty big defensive burden for this team thanks to its typing, so be careful about switching it in. So, that is my team and the teammates' roles in it. If someone got some suggestions, I would be happy to hear it but I wouldn't change most of the team.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/f6af0c0c16fb2466

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hey guys, cool announcement here, I'm basically rebooting this whole thing (and the reason is NOT that I have been so lazy as to not update the hall of fame). The meta is really new and with the lack of Slowbro I think it's necessary to really call it from Pangoro on out the "version two" of the team building competition, since all the past teams for the most part cannot be used in this new meta. This really means nothing from a contribution stand point, just wanted to drop that update!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Round 2: Delphox

Delphox is one of the Pokemon that has been on the rise with the recent tier shifts. With a Calm Mind, Choice Scarf, and WishPhox sets being all viable, there are a lot of different building avenues you can take with Delphox.
Deadline for submissions is (4 / 19 / 19)
Have fun :toast:!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)