Gen 7 [USUM OU] Yī èr fankurabu!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater

:sv/volcarona: :sv/Diancie Mega: :sv/Tapu Lele: :sv/Gliscor: :sv/Toxapex: :sv/Ferrothorn:

Hello there, I'm a person who hasn't really got into Gen 7 until now, so for the people who don't know me, the name is 1LDK, I'm basically a MID tier player who started in Gen 8 and picked up in gen 9, I have a friend by the name of AndViet who has been up there for me for a lot and has made my experience much more enjoyable, so, while talking one day he says that he wants to get into Gen 7 OU, but he can't because he is constricted with time, because lots of stuff, but I do have that much free time to get into, so that's when I decided to create a team for him (so yeah, this is a gift), it also serves me at my first actual experience with the tier, so with the inspiration coming, let's see my first ever gen 7 OU team!

:Psychium Z::sv/Volcarona::Psychium Z:
Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Hidden Power: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

One of Andviet´s favorite mons is Volcarona, and it's a cool mon, so he was instantly the first and main Pokémon to build for, after looking at some possible sets, I decided to run the Psychinium Z set, since Heavy Duty Boots haven't been invented yet, instead of overall security, lets up all our eggs in one basket, one with 135 SpA, Quiver Dance and an insta nuke button, you really are not going to see Volc a lot, because its mostly appears to close the curtains, give him an entry, and start spamming moves until you win, pretty easy overall

:Diancite::sv/Diancie-Mega::Diancite:
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature

- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Stealth Rocker, Hazard Remover, Wall Breaker and wuaifu of the team, talk about insane role compression, if this was a design contest, Mega Diancie would probably be one of the best designs of all time, luckily for us, she does bring valuable niches to the meta, since Volc is the star of the team, you need to do everything to help him, in this team we have not 1 but 2 hazard removers, Diancie being the offensive one, your overall game plan for her is to Mega Evolve as soon as possible to beat the enemy in front of you and make all hazards and status effects bounce off, after all, you have a good matchup against most rockers AND defoggers, there are a handful of exceptions, Ferrothorn, Lando T, Chansey, Rotom Wash and Tapu Fini for example, the thing is, except for Chansey and Ferro, nothing can switch into you safely. Then, it comes wall breaking duty, Diancie is BY FAR the mon that is going to do most of the work on this team, the EVes allow for overall power, -Def nature doesn't matter a lot thanks to her signature move, Diamond Storm, that has a 50% chance of raising defense by 2, something that WILL come in handy from time to time, Diancie is capable of moping the floor with Heatran, Volc, Both Charizards, Blacephalon, Mega Sableye, and there's a ton of mons who cannot switch in safely against her, examples being Greninja, Mega Loppuny, Gyarados, Lando T, etc.

:Choice Scarf::sv/Tapu Lele::Choice Scarf:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Coming up next is Tapu Lele, with Volc as a sweeper, and Diancie as a wall breaker, I needed a cleaner, Tapu Lele provides speed control, priority protection which is a lifesaver, and Psychic terrain which powers Volc´s Z move to the moon, the overall spread is for the best coverage possible, you need to keep a good eye on when she should come, this is especially important when talking about Kartana, the single biggest motherfucker of this whole ass town. This is also a good time to address something you have seen, the 3 offensive mons on this team are special attackers, so this is a high risk high reward strategy that tries to spam and tear walls by sheer force and overwhelm mons, there are 2 blobs who can tank this with no problem.

:Toxic Orb::sv/Gliscor::Toxic Orb:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost

- Knock Off

And here is my counter to them, Lando T, but is an actual well designed mon and has recovery, Gliscor is famous for being able to fit better on stall than lando AND being able to break stall easier than Lando, so Gliscor fitted right in, he functions as the second defogger and a more defensive one, Poison Heal + Roost allows it to absorb status, and stick for a long ass time Knock Off to soft non-mega and non Z move mons, the spread is for overall bulk and out speed the rare max speed jolly offensive Heatran, who will try to lure Diancie to use Z Move Solar Beam and turn her into dust, back to Chansey tho, your game plan is to knock chansey´s eviolite, that's number one priority, if you do and your poisoned, you have now 2 options, break her with gliscor or break her with Mega Diancie who also appreciates it

:Black Sludge: :sv/Toxapex: :Black Sludge:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature

- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

After some investigation and consideration, I realized that, while being a boon for offense, Mega Diance was pretty usable on balance, therefore, I could back myself up with good walls that bring me some security, the ferropex core is something that started here and became strong, pex is simple to explain, it lands toxics, it hazes, it recovers and regens, it fishes constantly for burns, eve´s are for maximum shit holding on the special side, this is specially important against Z celebrate mons like Jirachi or Victini, which are a real issue to this team but ill talk about them later, the thing is, pray for living and or a well-timed haze, and everything should be fine

:Leftovers: :sv/Ferrothorn: :Leftovers:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe

- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

While Protect on ferro is not commonly seen nowadays for reasons such as Urshifu in gen 8 or not even being on the game in gen 9, in this gen it really hits its peak, being able to stun lock choice attackers, shit on Mega Loppuny and Hawlucha are VITAL to this team, grabbing extra Leech Seed and Leftovers recovery is well appreciated too, speaking of, if the opponent has been badly poisoned, and you get a leech seed off, it becomes ridiculously easy to stall enemies into nothing with proper pivoting spam and protect spam, Gyro Ball is a more reliable attack for everything except for rain teams (that have Mega Swampert) and Kommo-o, but Leech Seed and you are ready. Spikes are always a good thing to have on the side, you're not clicking them every game, but I do have seen myself clicking them enough to have them as a move slot, if you're not feeling the same way, Knock Off, Power Whip or Thunder Wave are all viable options to run, the first option is the most neutral move in the game, the second one is the rain team killer, lastly, thunder wave, while unorthodox at first, it still cripples fast attackers while giving you and your teammates a possible chance to breather, the Ivs are for overall defense while having just a bit of SpD, something that really goes a long way.

The "Oh god oh fuck" list

Maybe a Gen 7 Overlord will make a 10-page argument of why I'm wrong, but at least on my personal opinion, Gen 7 is the least mistake friendly when it comes to guessing the set and team building, therefore, there will be Pokémon that will outright win from the Team Preview, that is if you don't guess the set correctly, but who are those who will punish it the hardest, well, I have a list for mad match ups against this team, for all the experience I have recollected (there could be more or less, if you feel that something is missing here, please tell!)

:Charizard Mega X: Mega Zard X gets out speed and OHKO with Mega Diance, that is until he gets 1 Dragon Dance, where it becomes scary, 2 and the game is over, your best bet is to keep rocks up so that zard takes 50% and therefore, make it an all or nothing attempt at sweeping. If you're wondering what about :Charizard Mega Y: since he has no boosting move, both Diancie and Toxapex are able to handle him with no problem.

:Chansey: While hard countered by Gliscor, it doesn't mean she magically stops being annoying, with eviolite, it walls your offensive line hard, and if somehow Gliscors goes down before being able to touch chansey, then prepare to have a 100000000000000000000000000000 turn game, can you out power chansey and beat her by brute force? Yes, is it going to take so much that you're going to die from boredom? Yes.

:Lopunny Mega: She is one of the main reasons to run protect on Ferro, the plan is that you make her break her own legs with HJK misses, if this is unviable, then try to sack something to get Lele for free in, that will help, I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but you need to take her seriously.

:Victini: if he is packing one of these bad boys :Normalium Z: (a normalium z crystal) then you better have pex ready
+1 252 SpA Victini Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
This is your only chance to haze away its boost, if you lived and Haze or hazed at the same time he z moved, then congrats, you won the game, his wincon is useless now, if pex dies, then pack watch, rip bozo, search another game. In theory, :Jirachi: could also be a problem but Z celebrate Rachis are uncommon (i haven't seen a jirachi running Z celebrate at least)

:Hawlucha: + :Tapu Koko: (in conjunction, individually, are easier to handle) these. Mother. Fuckers, are insane, they only come in the end game a bad player might sack koko at the start and hawlucha doesn't have enough, but a good player will play 4 v 6 until the right time comes. Regardless of the overall skill, your plan is, put all your faith in protect ferro, that's really it really, totally balanced.

:Kartana: my hate for this mon has surpassed everything, if you miss guessed the set, then it's over from team preview, I'm not even joking, if he is scarfed then he will eat lele for the boost, if it is banded then ferro and diancie need to be kept away, anything can go wrong at all times, do not give him a single free turn, I fucking hate this mon with all my passion, fuck the ultra beasts I swear to god I'm gonna---

Conclussion, Pokepaste and replays baby

https://pokepast.es/3ed5e621dde10c0c

That's the team and RMT, any doubts just tell me, i want to give a quick thanks to the people who are active at the S&M smogon forums, for answering in a day when I was thinking I would have to wait for 2 weeks, and thanks to andviet again for making me better at the game, and I hope everyone (Andviet included) likes the team, my highest with this team was around the 1400 but that's because my lack of knowledge about the tier (keep miss guessing the kartana sets) and my low skill doesn't help but I believe that this team can be pushed further, have a good day everybody.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1770619425-cep1zs5unrrn8wg0y2a0lvjk47nwen1pw (Zard Y getting rekt, Pex holding his shit against a Z Victini)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1770792397 (example of a Mega Diancie 6-0)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1770801025-3yyx7exx46xx5pdsmujvb5juxg4mjuipw (Scolipede + Chansey + Azumarill give me my second lost)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1770819491-gms6gg97ly8onniv3n7sv5xvgzjmvstpw (getting my ass beat against Sand)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1771566642 (messy webs thanks to a bad Diancie play)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1771647714 (guess who missguesed the kartana set)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1771669356 (Playing hot potato with a Serperior, Pex GOAT)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1772845486 (Gliscor Missplay, stall breaking by sheer force)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-1772856189 (Surprise Z Solar Beam Heatran + Mega Gallade)

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hey 1LDK,

This is a very cool team and thank you for the kind shoutout. I haven't been able to get into Gen 7 OU as I wanted to just based on how busy I've been with other things. I'll definitely use this team and see how I do with it. I would say small suggestions I would do is probably take the 76 SpD EVs on Gliscor and put them towards defense because I think it needs a little more bulk on the physical side. I love that you added Volcarona on the team as it is probably one of my favorite Pokémon in each generation. I love the improvements you have made recently and in it really shows in your replays, congrats on the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)