OU USUM OU Victim of the Week! Week 13: Rain Sweeper Mega Swampert

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Congratulations to Solar Flare Sherbet and Clementine for winning this week with Drampa and Dragalge respectively! I'll add your sets to the Hall of Fame shortly.

Week 3: Icium-Z Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
With a sky-high Attack stat and access to STAB Z-Freeze Shock, Kyurem-B is a powerful force, able to blow through anything that doesn't resist Subzero Slammer and heavily damage anything that does. Access to Fusion Bolt (which can be boosted by Electric Terrain) allows Kyurem to hit Water-types that resist Subzero Slammer for massive damage. Ice Beam is a good option for Kyurem's STAB Ice-type attack when it's already burned its Z-Move, and Earth Power rounds out the set, allowing a better answer to Pokemon such as Heatran and Rotom-W (which Kyurem-B can hit thanks to Teravolt).

Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You will have 5 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending at 8pm on Wednesday 27th December, GMT+0.

Last edited:
Scizor-mega
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Scizor mega is a counter to z move kyurem. The steel type, scizor can easily take a z move and the bug type allows it to not take to much damage on earth power. The amazing bulk helps it to tank ANYTHING and it can heal itself with roost, destroy kuyrem with bullet punch, set up against kuyrem with sword dance or knock off a pokemon that arrived. (I ll add calc later)

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Nominating Mega Tyranitar as a Check

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch

While not able to switch directly into Kyurem-B and really not a fan of eating a Z-Freeze Shock, Tyranitar-M is otherwise a good enough check to Kyurem. With Sand Stream boosting its Special Defense and a titanic 150 Defense on the physical side, you're able to sponge pretty much any hit and OHKO back with Stone Edge. Fusion Bolt is Kyurem-B's most powerful move against you and does sub-30%, meaning Tyranitar is a pretty solid check in my book.

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 280-331 (74.8 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 94-111 (25.1 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Tyranitar-Mega Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 426-504 (108.9 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 148 Def / 20 SpD
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Roar
- Toxic
- Recover

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Avalugg: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 64.2% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Avalugg: 135-159 (34.2 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Avalugg: 72-85 (18.2 - 21.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Walling every move and can't be frozen because its an ice type, Avalugg is a counter to this Kyurem B set.

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Hi everyone! As a result of it having been Christmas over the submission deadline, I have decided to extend this for another two days to allow for any extra submissions. Go nuts!

You have until Friday 29th December at 10pm, GMT+0.

Best of luck!

Scizor-mega
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Scizor mega is a counter to z move kyurem. The steel type, scizor can easily take a z move and the bug type allows it to not take to much damage on earth power. The amazing bulk helps it to tank ANYTHING and it can heal itself with roost, destroy kuyrem with bullet punch, set up against kuyrem with sword dance or knock off a pokemon that arrived. (I ll add calc later)
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 135-159 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Are you ready for worse scizor?

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Impish Nature
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Knock Off/
- Iron Head

This is escavalier:

Unlike scizor mega it can carry leftovers, does not waste your mega slot and guaranteed 2 hit koes kyurem B

Virgin Scizor Mega:
0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 186-218 (47.5 - 55.7%) -- 75.8% chance to 2HKO

Chad Escavalier:
0 Atk Escavalier Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 224-266 (57.2 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It also has the added benefit of having a higher survival chance against Kyurem Blacks electric terrain boosted Fusion bolts than the submited scizor mega set.

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Escavalier in Electric Terrain: 140-165 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Here are some other notable escavalier calcs:

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Escavalier: 139-164 (40.4 - 47.6%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Escavalier: 54-65 (15.6 - 18.8%) -- possible 7HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Escavalier: 73-87 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lets move on to the move choices:

Unfortunately silver chariot has not been blessed with roost so we have to turn towards rest as our recovery move.
Sleep talk is needed to give us a 2/3 chance of doing anything while asleep and iron head is our stab of choice.

The last move slot is pretty flexible and can be used to either run counter to KO medicham mega from full or something more reliable in knock of or toxic.

In summary: Escavalier is a unreliable check for kyurem black outside of electric terrain that relies on its item and rest talk RNG. So if u like to gamble, go for it

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Wow I'm unbelievably late to this. Apologies, everyone.

Voting time!
- I'm taking Mega Scizor as a check here, as MangoSteak pointed out, it's possible for it to be 2HKO'd in certain (potentially quite common) circumstances.

Congratulations to Zaza for autowinning this week's counter by default with Avalugg!

Checks
:scizor-mega: Mega Scizor by Uber45
:tyranitar-mega: Mega Tyranitar by clematis
:escavalier: Escavalier by MangoSteak​

You have four days to vote, ending on Thursday 4th January at 3pm, GMT+0. You may vote for one check this week. I will add the winning set to the Hall of Fame along with Avalugg at the end of the voting phase.

Best of luck!

(As a side note, I will be happy to accept any suggestions from you all for sets you'd like to see featured in this thread! Just drop me a DM on here with your suggestion and why you think it should be featured! :D )

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alright, voting is now closed. Apologies for the delay.

Congratulations to Uber45 with Mega Scizor! I'll add you to the Hall of Fame shortly along with Zaza's Avalugg.

Week 4: Swords Dance Mega Mawile

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
Mega Mawile's access to Swords Dance along with a good base 105 Attack and ludicrous ability in Huge Power makes it an excellent wallbreaker. STAB Play Rough dents a huge amount of the metagame even unboosted, and at +2 will OHKO or 2HKO pretty much everything in OU. Sucker Punch can compensate somewhat for Mawile's weak speed tier, while Knock Off allows it to capitalise on the amount of switches it forces by removing the items of Pokemon that want to switch in vs it. An Adamant nature and maximum EV investment allow Mawile to hit as hard as possible, while 164 Speed EVs allow it to creep Sassy Mega Venusaur.

Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You will have 5 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending at 8pm on Wednesday 17th January, GMT+0.

Best of luck to all submissions!

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Nominating Venusaur-Mega as a check.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
Hidden Power: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

While not entirely enjoying switching into an attack, if you can get it in then Venusaur is a mildly shaky check to Mega Mawile; setting up Leech Seed against the Steel/Fairy type to recover its own health and able to stall out Sucker Punch PP with Synthesis spam. Hidden Power Fire does a decent enough chunk to Mawile and 3HKOs it, meanwhile Venusaur takes a maximum of ~40% from an unboosted Sucker Punch (though all of Mawile's moves do about the same, funnily enough). As long as you can win the Sucker Punch mindgames, this Venusaur set should consistently outspeed and (somewhat) answer Mawile.

:steelix-mega:
Steelix-mega is an excellent counter to Mawile-mega. I needed a pokemon that cannot lose its item by knock off so I choose a mega evolution. I needed a steel type for the stab fairy and a very very bulky mon, so I choose steelix-mega. Earthquake can deal lots of damage and heavy slam can 2HKO it. Rest is it's only heal move and sleeptalk help to pressure it even after rest. Weakness : Being unlucky.
20 Atk Steelix-Mega Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 132-156 (50 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
20 Atk Steelix-Mega Earthquake vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 218-260 (82.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Steelix-Mega: 56-67 (15.8 - 18.9%) -- possible 6HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Steelix-Mega: 223-263 (62.9 - 74.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alrighty, submissions are closed. Venusaur-M and Steelix-M will be added to the Hall of Fame owing to lack of other submissions.
Onwards!

Week 5: Choice Specs Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Choice Specs Tapu Lele is a terrifying wallbreaker in OU, able to blast through a significant chunk of the metagame with STAB Choice Specs-boosted Terrain-boosted Psychics and Moonblasts. Psyshock allows it to hit common special walls such as Chansey hard, and Hidden Power [Fire] improves Tapu Lele's matchup against Steel-types such as Ferrothorn or Mega Scizor. In addition, Tapu Lele's good (but not great) Base 95 Speed means that even without an item like Choice Scarf, it can still outspeed a significant chunk of the tier, including a lot of defensive Pokemon.

Can you find a check or a counter to this set? You will have 5 days to submit your answers, with submissions ending at 8pm on Monday 22nd December, GMT+0.

Boom:

:Cresselia:
Counter

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Moonlight
- Ice Beam
- Lunar Dance

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia: 139-165 (31.3 - 37.1%) -- 79% chance to 3HKO

Nothing short of a crit, sand or rain can allow tapu lele to beat cresselia.
If paired with Zard Y this is 1 beast of a defensive wall.
The last slot is for general utility and can be replaced with anything.
If the only focus of this mon was to beat Lele, might as well run calm mind.

Beam is for lando and to "check" Gliscor.

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Nominating Chansey as a check.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

While really not wanting to eat a Psyshock at all, Chansey is otherwise a very good check to a Tapu Lele locked into something else. Psychic does a maximum of 35% barring crits, meaning Chansey can click Soft-Boiled in front of it and threaten Tapu Lele out with Toxic, or cripple the opponent's switchin with the same.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 390-459 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 211-249 (30 - 35.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Once, Napoleon Bonaparte said: “Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.”
Every pokemon enjoyer, one day or another, will have to face the difficulty to decide on this singular and important matter:
wcas2ogd3iyb1.jpg

Today, myself, as a pokemon enjoyer, I made my choice:

Nominating as a Check:

Furry (Delphox) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 136 SpD / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Mystical Fire
- Low Kick
- Protect
- Wish​

With its convenient dual typing and usable bulk, Delphox act as a wish passer able to check some threats such as Kartana or, in this case, Tapu Lele (both Calm Mind and Choice Specs). The combination of Wish + Protect improves the staying power of Delphox, Mystical Fire will serve as both its main stab and a tool to cover certain Calm Mind users (such as Tapu Lele) and Low Kick (even with the -atk nature) is useful to punish for example Heatran or Tyranitar-Mega.

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 76+ Def Delphox in Psychic Terrain: 159-187 (45 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 136 SpD Delphox in Psychic Terrain: 144-170 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

clematis

formerly EdDaBoss
Alright, time for voting! Thanks everyone for submissions this week!

Congratulations to MangoSteak for autowinning this week's counter by default with Cresselia!

Checks:
:chansey: Chansey by clematis
:delphox: Delphox by Solar Flare Sherbet
You have four days to vote, ending on Friday 26th January at 10pm, GMT+0. You may vote for one check this week. I will add the winning set to the Hall of Fame along with Cresselia at the end of the voting phase.

Best of luck!

(by the way, if anyone has any suggestions for what to feature in this thread next, do go ahead and suggest them, either here or in the SM Discord :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)