Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition - Tapu Koko

Status
Not open for further replies.
congratulations to Mannat for winning with team j!
a: •••
b:
c:
d:
e: •
f: •
g: •
h: •
i:
j: ••••

:Round 49:
Mega Venusaur

Mega Venusar can take on several threatening physical attackers in the current metagame, such as Mega Mawile and Kartana and even double up as a Magearna check. It's a nice Pokémon, but it's not so easy to build around. Will you be able to make a fruitful team with it?​

msnt

\!/
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Volcarona @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I did this team something like 1 week ago, i wanted to use Venusaur-Mega because he seems like a threat to a lot of popular teams in my opinion due to thick fat + natural bulk + nice double typing, I decided make a Venusaur + Celesteela + Tapu fini core, allowing my team to prevent from a lot of threats from the current meta. Knowing that I had a tapu fini in my team, it was a good idea to pair it with volcarona who likes the defog support from tapu fini but also the misty terrain. Landorus Scarf is here to have a supplementary defog to help volcarona, he is also helping me to beat fast pokemon, I decided to put Garchomp as the last pokemon to have a really decent heatran switch-in because Venusaur without EQ and tapu fini without water stab are a bit weak to check heatran imo.

Katy

Banned deucer.
250px-Sugimori_485.png 250px-445Garchomp.png 4060-Tornadus-Therian.png 1200px-658Greninja.png Shiny_Mega_Venusaur_XY.png celesteela_shiny_dreal_world_by_sealnhj-db3sb34.png

Importable:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 244 HP / 184 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Team Description:
This team built 'round Mega Venusaur has Heatran as a bulky steel and fire type, Heatran is the fire immunity and can sponge hits from grass types pretty well.
It's also a steel resist and helps to check Mega Mawile, Magearna and Mega Scizor. Garchomp is Rockium Z to threaten the most common defoggers such an Tornadus-Therian and Tapu Fini.
Garchomp also supports the team as a Volt-Switch blocker and is in general a good mon currently in the metagame.
Tornadus-Therian is the defogger here, its role is to momentum gain with U-Turn, while being a good Knock Off User and ground Immunity.
It's the Rocky Helmet variant to chip down physical attackers pretty well and be an Annoyance to them.
Greninja is the scarfer / speed control, Gunk Shot is mainly for the Fairies in the tier such as Koko and Fini to catch them and severly damage them.
Ice Beam hits flying and ground types really well and helps against Gliscord and Landorus-Therian to threaten them either out of takin' them out.
Mega Venusaur is specially defensive to sponge hits from Koko and other electric types better such as Zapdos, it can also wall Serperior and other grass types such as Tangrowth.
Synthesis guarantees longevity alongside its STAB Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb is its secondary STAB meanwhile Hidden Power [Fire] can help against Steel types.
Speakin' of Steels, Celesteela is the last Member supporting the team as a Psychich and Fairy resist, it's role is mainly to help against Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele and can also check pokemon such as Mega-Pinsir and Kartana decently well.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/552b5479cba704f6

Solarus Rex (Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Do. Not. Litter. (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 128 SpD / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Scald

Fire in the Wall! (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I Eat Bricks (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Melted Moth (Volcarona) (M) @ Buginium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

Tetrodus (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade

This is a balance build that I made a few days ago. It centers around the core of Mega Venusaur + Tapu Fini, which is pretty cool; Tapu Fini covers Defogging, Heatran, and Ash-Greninja, while Mega Venusaur covers electric and grass-types such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu for Tapu Fini.

The spread I used for Mega Venusaur is a bit weird, but still does pretty good as an offensive tank. Yes. This is what I set up Mega Venusaur for (at least in my build): powerful, yet still bulky. HP Fire is ran to hit steel-types (not running earthquake since Mega Venusaur is intended to be a full-out special attacker, at least in my book), Giga Drain provides recovery outside of Synthesis, and Sludge Bomb is Mega Venusaur's main STAB move, it's actually pretty powerful and can force out anything not named Magearna, but even then, it hates HP Fire.

Tapu Fini is the Defogger for the team; she helps with removing entry hazards, and to an extent, dismantling passive teams. Defog and Taunt are the two main non-attacking moves she runs on her set, with the former providing HUGE support to this team, while the latter stops stuff such as Toxapex from using their recovery moves, attempting to annoy the opponent via Toxic, and/or setting up. It doesn't need to run anything more than its STABs in terms of attacking, because it's not built to be offensive. She is the trash-picker for the team, or to put it more accurately, the Defogger.

Heatran is the main SR setter of the team; while slow, it's able to sponge hits from the psychic- and flying-type attacks that Mega Venusaur HATES, while Mega Venusaur covers for everything else, from Ash-Greninja to Tapu Fini. Lava Plume its Heatran's main STAB move, which is really nothing special, although the ability to burn those annoying physical attackers that most of my team hates is decent. Earth Power is there to hit stuff such as Magearna because Garchomp is too shaky of a check imo, while Mega Venusaur not running EQ means it doesn't do very well against Magearna, so this is here to check Magearna for the team.

Garchomp is the power of the team, it's not only the secondary SR setter, but it can pressure common defoggers thanks to its coverage and SD. Earthquake does super well against a lot of common mons, and Swords Dance allows it to set up and overwhelm physical tanks with ease. Stone Edge allows it to absolutely destroy those annoying defoggers, such as Tornadus-T, and provides vast amounts of neutral coverage against everything else. Not to mention that it does decently well blocking Volt Switch. Unfortunately, I had to run Rocky Helmet because both of Volcarona's sets require a Z-Crystal for their item, and you're only allowed one Z-move per game. Nonetheless, Rocky Helmet in tandem with Rough Skin can absolutely screw over mons that require contact moves to do damage, such as Mega Lopunny.

Volcarona pairs decently well with the Mega Venu + Tapu Fini core, seeing as it appreciates Defog support from the latter and the former's ability to smash some of Volcarona's checks and counters, such as Heatran. It supplies the team with a way to check Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Mawile, all of which can prove problematic for this team to deal with, largely because I'm not running any physical defense investment on the former, while the latter gets utterly destroyed by the former two, while it has to watch out for the latter carrying Thunder Punch.

Gliscor is a bit of an "oddity" on this team, but it still does extremely well as the secondary set up sweeper. SD is for setting up, while Facade gets boosted by Toxic Orb's poisoning, allowing Gliscor to do MASSIVE damage against anything that's not a rock- or steel-type, but none of them want to think about eating an EQ from Gliscor at +2 attack. Its role is the secondary set up sweeper that hits extremely hard and takes a lot of hits fairly well.

Here's the PokePaste!

Last edited:

Big Berta (Venusaur-Mega) (F) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Master Blaster (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

Body Pillow (Reuniclus) (M) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Recover

Lt. ELT Surge (Tapu Koko) @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Roost

Daredevil (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Boy Fort (Toxapex) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Venusaur isn't as flexible in its sets as last gen, and the standard Smogon set is pretty well-adapted to the current meta. I don't think Celesteela requires any explanation, except that double Leech Seed is super nice for chipping fat stuff and that it handles almost every threatening Flying / Psychic type, bar one: Mega-Medicham.
I could've opted for Mew here since it can compress the role of Medi-check + Rocker/Defogger, but the kind of balanced teams Venu finds itself on tend to struggle vs Stall, so I went with Reuniclus as the Calm Mind + Energy Ball + Z-move set works wonders against the archetype while pretty much neutering M-Medi. Reuniclus also gives a secondary Psychic resist, status absorber and just a general bulky sponge to take hits when needed.
For the Defog slot I initially used Zapdos, but this makes the entire team slower than Greninja, and the Dark resistance really takes pressure off Venusaur (and Pex). Fast Defog + a more resilient check to Tornadus than Celesteela + better pivoting capabilities made me choose Koko over Zapdos.
The team still needed a Rocker, and Gliscor is one of the best checks to Heatran (which the team is otherwise quite vulnerable to), so this wasn't a hard choice to make. Swords Dance or Knock Off are also possible, but Toxic catches stuff like Lando and Torn, and even Zard-X if it hasn't boosted yet.
For the last slot I've experimented with a lot of options (including Fini and even Perish Trap Azu...), but Toxapex filled it the best so far. It helps vs stuff like Greninja, Blacephalon and most importantly Volcarona.

Things that trouble this team the most:
- Z-Ice Kyurem-B: this puts immense pressure on the team as it bypasses Thick Fat and is able to nuke past almost everthing. If you can catch the Z-Ice with Toxapex (or something else you don't need anymore), Reuniclus is able to outlast Kyurem, especially after a CM boost. Freezes suck tho...

- Zard-X: mostly the DDance set with Flare Blitz + EQ. Venusaur, Reuniclus, Gliscor and Toxapex are all able to survive a single hit at +1, but holes will be punched and sacrifices made. I tend to go Pex as soon as it enters the field and keep Hazing the boosts so the rest of my team takes less damage when handling it, unless I really think I need it later on. Rocks / Toxic Spikes are vital to prevent it getting too many free switches.

- SD Rockium Lando: Has the capability to nuke through anything on the team. This is the only reason why I would consider HP Ice on Koko, which I generally don't find worth the moveslot unless with Specs.

Last edited:

bigtalk

Banned deucer.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Magearna @ Normalium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Heal Bell

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Toxic
This is a full-fledged stall team that I built around Venusaur a month ago. I'll just describe the roles of each Pokemon and how they are intended to complement Venusaur.
  • Zapdos covers Venusaur's Flying-type weakness: it's a very solid switchin to stall/wallbreakers like Tornadus-T, Hawlucha, and Mega Pinsir. I opted for it over Celesteela because it's not overly crippled by Knock Off, and it can't get trapped by Magnezone which Pinsir is commonly paired with. It removes entry hazards for Venusaur with Defog, which is important considering how Spikes-prone it is.
  • Gliscor adds a secondary defogger that can take on Heatran & Tyranitar lacking Ice Beam (the 2nd actually walls Venu because we're not running a Grass-type move). It acts as a status absorber that is able to pivot into ie. Scald from Toxapex.
  • Heart Swap Magearna deals with Psychic- and Fairy-types that threaten Venusaur such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Reuniclus, and Mega Latias. Heal Bell lets it provide cleric support for the team.
  • Obligatory Chansey since this is a stall team. It provides Wish support to make up for Venu/Magearna's subpar recovery options, on top of setting Stealth Rock once the opponent's hazard setters have been removed.
  • Slowbro fits nicely in the last slot, as it gives us a bulky Water-type that can deal with Charizard X and a bulky Psychic-type that can switch into Mega Medicham.

Last edited:
team a by talah
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/steel-ball-run.3648993/

team b by msnt
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Volcarona @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
I did this team something like 1 week ago, i wanted to use Venusaur-Mega because he seems like a threat to a lot of popular teams in my opinion due to thick fat + natural bulk + nice double typing, I decided make a Venusaur + Celesteela + Tapu fini core, allowing my team to prevent from a lot of threats from the current meta. Knowing that I had a tapu fini in my team, it was a good idea to pair it with volcarona who likes the defog support from tapu fini but also the misty terrain. Landorus Scarf is here to have a supplementary defog to help volcarona, he is also helping me to beat fast pokemon, I decided to put Garchomp as the last pokemon to have a really decent heatran switch-in because Venusaur without EQ and tapu fini without water stab are a bit weak to check heatran imo.

team c by katy
View attachment 170832 View attachment 170831 View attachment 170834 View attachment 170833 View attachment 170836 View attachment 170835
Importable:
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
EVs: 244 HP / 184 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
Team Description:
This team built 'round Mega Venusaur has Heatran as a bulky steel and fire type, Heatran is the fire immunity and can sponge hits from grass types pretty well.
It's also a steel resist and helps to check Mega Mawile, Magearna and Mega Scizor. Garchomp is Rockium Z to threaten the most common defoggers such an Tornadus-Therian and Tapu Fini.
Garchomp also supports the team as a Volt-Switch blocker and is in general a good mon currently in the metagame.
Tornadus-Therian is the defogger here, its role is to momentum gain with U-Turn, while being a good Knock Off User and ground Immunity.
It's the Rocky Helmet variant to chip down physical attackers pretty well and be an Annoyance to them.
Greninja is the scarfer / speed control, Gunk Shot is mainly for the Fairies in the tier such as Koko and Fini to catch them and severly damage them.
Ice Beam hits flying and ground types really well and helps against Gliscord and Landorus-Therian to threaten them either out of takin' them out.
Mega Venusaur is specially defensive to sponge hits from Koko and other electric types better such as Zapdos, it can also wall Serperior and other grass types such as Tangrowth.
Synthesis guarantees longevity alongside its STAB Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb is its secondary STAB meanwhile Hidden Power [Fire] can help against Steel types.
Speakin' of Steels, Celesteela is the last Member supporting the team as a Psychich and Fairy resist, it's role is mainly to help against Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele and can also check pokemon such as Mega-Pinsir and Kartana decently well.
Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/552b5479cba704f6

team d by steelixprismgx
Solarus Rex (Venusaur-Mega) (M) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Do. Not. Litter. (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 128 SpD / 104 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Scald

Fire in the Wall! (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I Eat Bricks (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Melted Moth (Volcarona) (M) @ Buginium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Roost

Tetrodus (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade
This is a balance build that I made a few days ago. It centers around the core of Mega Venusaur + Tapu Fini, which is pretty cool; Tapu Fini covers Defogging, Heatran, and Ash-Greninja, while Mega Venusaur covers electric and grass-types such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu for Tapu Fini.

The spread I used for Mega Venusaur is a bit weird, but still does pretty good as an offensive tank. Yes. This is what I set up Mega Venusaur for (at least in my build): powerful, yet still bulky. HP Fire is ran to hit steel-types (not running earthquake since Mega Venusaur is intended to be a full-out special attacker, at least in my book), Giga Drain provides recovery outside of Synthesis, and Sludge Bomb is Mega Venusaur's main STAB move, it's actually pretty powerful and can force out anything not named Magearna, but even then, it hates HP Fire.

Tapu Fini is the Defogger for the team; she helps with removing entry hazards, and to an extent, dismantling passive teams. Defog and Taunt are the two main non-attacking moves she runs on her set, with the former providing HUGE support to this team, while the latter stops stuff such as Toxapex from using their recovery moves, attempting to annoy the opponent via Toxic, and/or setting up. It doesn't need to run anything more than its STABs in terms of attacking, because it's not built to be offensive. She is the trash-picker for the team, or to put it more accurately, the Defogger.

Heatran is the main SR setter of the team; while slow, it's able to sponge hits from the psychic- and flying-type attacks that Mega Venusaur HATES, while Mega Venusaur covers for everything else, from Ash-Greninja to Tapu Fini. Lava Plume its Heatran's main STAB move, which is really nothing special, although the ability to burn those annoying physical attackers that most of my team hates is decent. Earth Power is there to hit stuff such as Magearna because Garchomp is too shaky of a check imo, while Mega Venusaur not running EQ means it doesn't do very well against Magearna, so this is here to check Magearna for the team.

Garchomp is the power of the team, it's not only the secondary SR setter, but it can pressure common defoggers thanks to its coverage and SD. Earthquake does super well against a lot of common mons, and Swords Dance allows it to set up and overwhelm physical tanks with ease. Stone Edge allows it to absolutely destroy those annoying defoggers, such as Tornadus-T, and provides vast amounts of neutral coverage against everything else. Not to mention that it does decently well blocking Volt Switch. Unfortunately, I had to run Rocky Helmet because both of Volcarona's sets require a Z-Crystal for their item, and you're only allowed one Z-move per game. Nonetheless, Rocky Helmet in tandem with Rough Skin can absolutely screw over mons that require contact moves to do damage, such as Mega Lopunny.

Volcarona pairs decently well with the Mega Venu + Tapu Fini core, seeing as it appreciates Defog support from the latter and the former's ability to smash some of Volcarona's checks and counters, such as Heatran. It supplies the team with a way to check Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Mawile, all of which can prove problematic for this team to deal with, largely because I'm not running any physical defense investment on the former, while the latter gets utterly destroyed by the former two, while it has to watch out for the latter carrying Thunder Punch.

Gliscor is a bit of an "oddity" on this team, but it still does extremely well as the secondary set up sweeper. SD is for setting up, while Facade gets boosted by Toxic Orb's poisoning, allowing Gliscor to do MASSIVE damage against anything that's not a rock- or steel-type, but none of them want to think about eating an EQ from Gliscor at +2 attack. Its role is the secondary set up sweeper that hits extremely hard and takes a lot of hits fairly well.

Here's the PokePaste!

team e by ohmboy tesla
Big Berta (Venusaur-Mega) (F) @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Master Blaster (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

Body Pillow (Reuniclus) (M) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Recover

Lt. ELT Surge (Tapu Koko) @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Roost

Daredevil (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Boy Fort (Toxapex) (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
Venusaur isn't as flexible in its sets as last gen, and the standard Smogon set is pretty well-adapted to the current meta. I don't think Celesteela requires any explanation, except that double Leech Seed is super nice for chipping fat stuff and that it handles almost every threatening Flying / Psychic type, bar one: Mega-Medicham.
I could've opted for Mew here since it can compress the role of Medi-check + Rocker/Defogger, but the kind of balanced teams Venu finds itself on tend to struggle vs Stall, so I went with Reuniclus as the Calm Mind + Energy Ball + Z-move set works wonders against the archetype while pretty much neutering M-Medi. Reuniclus also gives a secondary Psychic resist, status absorber and just a general bulky sponge to take hits when needed.
For the Defog slot I initially used Zapdos, but this makes the entire team slower than Greninja, and the Dark resistance really takes pressure off Venusaur (and Pex). Fast Defog + a more resilient check to Tornadus than Celesteela + better pivoting capabilities made me choose Koko over Zapdos.
The team still needed a Rocker, and Gliscor is one of the best checks to Heatran (which the team is otherwise quite vulnerable to), so this wasn't a hard choice to make. Swords Dance or Knock Off are also possible, but Toxic catches stuff like Lando and Torn, and even Zard-X if it hasn't boosted yet.
For the last slot I've experimented with a lot of options (including Fini and even Perish Trap Azu...), but Toxapex filled it the best so far. It helps vs stuff like Greninja, Blacephalon and most importantly Volcarona.

Things that trouble this team the most:
- Z-Ice Kyurem-B: this puts immense pressure on the team as it bypasses Thick Fat and is able to nuke past almost everthing. If you can catch the Z-Ice with Toxapex (or something else you don't need anymore), Reuniclus is able to outlast Kyurem, especially after a CM boost. Freezes suck tho...

- Zard-X: mostly the DDance set with Flare Blitz + EQ. Venusaur, Reuniclus, Gliscor and Toxapex are all able to survive a single hit at +1, but holes will be punched and sacrifices made. I tend to go Pex as soon as it enters the field and keep Hazing the boosts so the rest of my team takes less damage when handling it, unless I really think I need it later on. Rocks / Toxic Spikes are vital to prevent it getting too many free switches.

- SD Rockium Lando: Has the capability to nuke through anything on the team. This is the only reason why I would consider HP Ice on Koko, which I generally don't find worth the moveslot unless with Specs.

team f by bigtalk
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Magearna @ Normalium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Heart Swap
- Heal Bell

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
- Toxic
This is a full-fledged stall team that I built around Venusaur a month ago. I'll just describe the roles of each Pokemon and how they are intended to complement Venusaur.
  • Zapdos covers Venusaur's Flying-type weakness: it's a very solid switchin to stall/wallbreakers like Tornadus-T, Hawlucha, and Mega Pinsir. I opted for it over Celesteela because it's not overly crippled by Knock Off, and it can't get trapped by Magnezone which Pinsir is commonly paired with. It removes entry hazards for Venusaur with Defog, which is important considering how Spikes-prone it is.
  • Gliscor adds a secondary defogger that can take on Heatran & Tyranitar lacking Ice Beam (the 2nd actually walls Venu because we're not running a Grass-type move). It acts as a status absorber that is able to pivot into ie. Scald from Toxapex.
  • Heart Swap Magearna deals with Psychic- and Fairy-types that threaten Venusaur such as Tapu Lele, Hoopa-U, Reuniclus, and Mega Latias. Heal Bell lets it provide cleric support for the team.
  • Obligatory Chansey since this is a stall team. It provides Wish support to make up for Venu/Magearna's subpar recovery options, on top of setting Stealth Rock once the opponent's hazard setters have been removed.
  • Slowbro fits nicely in the last slot, as it gives us a bulky Water-type that can deal with Charizard X and a bulky Psychic-type that can switch into Mega Medicham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)