Resource USM Creative & Underrated Sets v2

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Approved by the OU Mod Team. Adapted from the previous thread by bludz, banner mostly by dk

Rules:
  • Quality replays are needed for all sets - if you don't have replays, your post will be deleted.
  • Don't critique someone just to advertise your own set.
  • Don't post standard sets or sets that are otherwise outclassed by standard sets.
  • Provide a good explanation for your set.
  • Make sure your set accomplishes something relevant - here's a good example.

Last edited:

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Here's a Zygarde set I've been messing around with, after seeing robopoke's Metronome Araquanid set in the previous version of the thread:

Zygarde @ Metronome
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute / Coil
- Pain Split / Outrage / ExtremeSpeed

The main idea here is that Zygarde only needs one move to rock the metagame's world - Thousand Arrows. Metronome increases the power of a consecutive attack by 20% up to 100%. This makes one DD pretty deadly on Zygarde, as if the opponent goes for a sack you're also boosting by attack power by stealth with Metronome leading to unexpected (for your opponent) KOs. Crucially, this also makes you effective against Unaware mons, as Unaware mons only ignore your attack boosts and not your item boosts.

Against Quagsire and Clef (calcs after 6 attacks, but you get the idea):

(6 consecutive attacks) 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 216-255 (54.8 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(6 consecutive attacks) 252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 237-279 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm not too sure on Pain Split yet, Zygarde is a chunky mon and so it needs to be used with caution to gain HP - but it certainly can help vs stall with other fatmons. Outrage naturally also works well with Metronome, sub protects against status. EV spread is to outspeed non-Scarf Koko at +1, and to take HP Ices better.

Equivalent boosts for those interested...

At 1 DD with one consecutive attack: (1.5 x 1.2) - 1 = +80% damage
At 1 DD with two consecutive attacks: (1.5 x 1.4) - 1 = +110% damage (power of over 2 DDs)
At 1 DD with three consecutive attacks: (1.5 x 1.6) - 1 = +140% damage
At 1 DD with three consecutive attacks: (1.5 x 1.8) - 1 = +170% damage
At 1 DD with three consecutive attacks: (1.5 x 1.8) - 1 = +200% damage (like using 4 DDs)

Certainly might have some appeal over a Band set as you can bluff Band to an extent (and with the power becoming comparable after a few attacks).

Only one replay so far with a team I threw together just to test the set, low ladder but it's a standard rain team, shows Zygarde getting out of hand for a 6-0: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703454664

EDIT: I'll add more replays as I ladder higher, I'm only just getting back into playing so the team is literally cobbled together: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703531133

Last edited:
Anti-Mawile / Sub Gyara / Swampert Suicide Tank

1518633342299.png

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: YES
EVs: 236 HP / 176 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature

Vs: 0 Atk
- Counter
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Defog / Whirlwind

I made this Skarmory set several months back during the Nagandel meta, when I was looking to counter Paycard 's Mawile/Naga high ladder team at the time. Barring Hax, this Skarmory cannot be KO'd by any Mawile set if played correctly. Additionally , this set and spread also counters Sub Mega Gyara, another popular stall breaker set.

96 EVS are to ensure that you outpace max speed adamant mawile, while realistically most mawile will never run max speed, Skarmory's role as an anti-mawile tank is too necessary to afford losing to weird speed spreads.

236HP / 176 Def spread is very specific to avoid getting 2hko'd by consecutive fire, or thunder punches. You CANT adjust the HP/Def ratio without the chance of getting 2hko'd barring Hax.

This Skarmory functions as a Mawile suicide tank by luring in hits, and thus, tricking the opponent into thinking that racking up massive rocky helmet recoil is in his or her best interest. How you play this set is very specific to whether they have fire punch or not (this can be read mostly from team preview) -- yet even without this knowledge, you can play around it through its other tech.

To explain how to use this set, I'll guide through several scenarios of playing against mawile with Skarmory.

Mawile non Knock Off Tpunch
====================

Turn 2: Skarmory Switches In, Mawile takes 16% recoil damage

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 236 HP / 176+ Def Skarmory: 184-218 (55.7 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now the opponent thinks that they've trapped skarmory into an unwinnable position

Turn 3: Skarmory outspeeds and roosts (thus eliminating its electric weakness that turn), mawile attacks again now having racked up 32% recoil damage total.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 236 HP / 176+ Def Skarmory: 92-109 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Factoring in averages, Skarmory should be at about 60% health after turn 3, while Mawile has suicided much of its own. At these damage ranges, not even switching Skarmory into Stealth Rock hampers this strategy at all.

At this point, the opponent will either SD up, switch out, or foolishly attack again into a spiked wall. My recommendation is to roost up to full health (and regain Sturdy). If they boost up with SD, you can outboost with Iron Defense (this tech also helps with other sub phys sweepers) and KO it back either through residual damage, or with Counter.

Mawile Fire Punch
============

Fire punch has the exact same BP as t-punch, so the only difference is that after tanking 1 hit, you will instead Iron Defense up, thus surviving the second hit, and therefore safe to roost up.

Knock off Mawile
===========

Knock off mawile is more annoying to play around, but with Iron Defense/Roost outspeeds and KO'ing back with Counter it isn't too much a problem. This is where you can consider Whirlwind over Defog to deal with annoying PP Stalling issues with mawile or gyarados too, but this comes at the cost of role compression.

Shoutout to Mindnight for the last minute help :3

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704103882

(only have a quick test replay since I hid this set for months now, tho I did misclick on counter turn 10 instead of iron defensing)

EDIT:
I have a replay now of using it in a practical, real battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-707591984

The key for Stall to dealing with Mawile is to have a defensive counter threat that outspeeds (firium clef, firium zapdos, life orb flamethrower clef). The opponent usually won't think straight if their mawile is outsped by shit like clefable or skarmory LOL. You don't need to run anything close to max speed on defensive answers to mawile either.

I should add that this Skarmory set is stiill a 3hko from Rain Swampert, tho gets easily annoyed and killed by waterfall flinches...

I have many other surprising gimmicks, but since i'm going into tour play I can't give away all my goodies ;w;

Attachments

Last edited:
Mawile Fire Punch
============

Fire punch has the exact same BP as t-punch, so the only difference is that after tanking 1 hit, you will instead Iron Defense up, thus surviving the second hit, and therefore safe to roost up.
Really really cool set idea ngl, iv been trying all sorts of different unmons for a reliable way to beat m.mawile for stall, tho i am still very inexperienced with the play style

Just to note M.Mawile doesnt get Fire Punch, its strongest Fire type attack is Fire Fang. Idk if your calcing changes much, but I guess the set only gets better

Here’s a magearna set i’ve Been using for awhile that was originally inspired by the weakness policy gear on a team Finchinator posted in the bazaar, found here: Finchinator’s Naganadel Veil. When I used the magearna set, I could be walled by AV bulu and magearna which I noticed could be solved by the +3 attack accumulated from the weakness policy and shift gear. That lead me to create this set.

Mixed Weakness Policy Magearna

5EF77FAF-24AD-4369-A1D6-B5A09E4B0418.png

Magearna @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt / Focus Blast / Aura Sphere

EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon

This version is ev’d to take an earthquake from jolly 252 Landorus-t (and defensive lando) to then ohko it with a +2 fleur.

As mentioned above, this set is mainly designed to bait and kill or AV bulu and magearna with boosted iron heads.You can also break through chansey with a bit of flinch hax or if your attack is boosted high enough. When you are trying to lure in one of these mons, you should make sure that they will be your opponent’s first answer to magearna, because once you show that you have iron head, your opponent is going to be more careful with their special walls. After dispensing one of these mons, the sp.atk gained can help you to sweep, namely against magearna-lando HO, in which your opponent’s only other defensive mon is removed by a boosted Fleur Cannon. When you are trying to use this magearna to sweep with weakness policy, try to aim for targets with weak super effective moves that you can still break through, like steela (if you run tbolt), defensive grounds like hippowdon(bar lando), or pretty much anything that runs HP fire. As for ev spreads, I haven’t found any that are particularly effective, but if you decide to use the set with a different spread let me know.

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 99-117 (28.2 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 165-195 (47 - 55.5%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 147-174 (20.9 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

+2 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 196-232 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 372-438 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 213-252 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (so you can take a hit, activate weakness policy, shift gear, and ohko it back)

Some Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703289892

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703853161

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703863332

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703869241

Last edited:
Here’s a magearna set i’ve Been using for awhile that was originally inspired by the weakness policy gear on a team Finchinator posted in the bazaar, found here: Finchinator’s Naganadel Veil. When I used the magearna set, I could be walled by AV bulu and magearna which I noticed could be solved by the +3 attack accumulated from the weakness policy and shift gear. That lead me to create this set.

Mixed Weakness Policy Magearna

View attachment 101840

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon

EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon

This version is ev’d to take an earthquake from jolly 252 Landorus-t (and defensive lando) to then ohko it with a +2 fleur.

As mentioned above, this set is mainly designed to bait and kill or AV bulu and magearna with boosted iron heads.You can also break through chansey with a bit of flinch hax or if your attack is boosted high enough. When you are trying to lure in one of these mons, you should make sure that they will be your opponent’s first answer to magearna, because once you show that you have iron head, your opponent is going to be more careful with their special walls. After dispensing one of these mons, the sp.atk gained can help you to sweep, namely against magearna-lando HO, in which your opponent’s only other defensive mon is removed by a boosted Fleur Cannon. When you are trying to use this magearna to sweep with weakness policy, try to aim for targets with weak super effective moves that you can still break through, like steela (if you run tbolt), defensive grounds like hippowdon(bar lando), or pretty much anything that runs HP fire. As for ev spreads, I haven’t found any that are particularly effective, but if you decide to use the set with a different spread let me know.

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 390-458 (221.5 - 260.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 99-117 (28.2 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 165-195 (47 - 55.5%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 147-174 (20.9 - 24.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

+2 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 196-232 (27.8 - 33%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+3 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 372-438 (95.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 213-252 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (so you can take a hit, activate weakness policy, shift gear, and ohko it back)

Some Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703289892

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703853161

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703863332

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703869241
Small nitpick, but the calc you made with iron head against Bulu is wrong; you calc'd vs a level 50 bulu instead of 100. Here's the actual calc.

+1 0- Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 198-234 (57.7 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Stallbreaker Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Facade
- Hone Claws

I was trying to think of a way to completely bust open stall featuring Mega-Sableye/Chansey/Skarmory/Unaware Clef/Unaware Quag/Toxapex - this set is what I came up with. While mixed attacker Subzero Slammer sets can beat out stall, they require some prediction - which this set doesn't. The idea is that if Kyurem isn't burned you have the extremely potent combo of Subzero Slammer/Fusion Bolt at whatever level of attack you manage to boost to, and if it is burned it unlocks a 140 base power move to throw around (and +2 Atk Fusion Bolt still hits Skarmory/Toxapex suitably hard to 2HKO, plus even when burned Subzero Slammer hits like a truck) - bearing in mind Terravolt ignores Unaware and Sturdy. Once you've KOed 2 or 3 stallmons, most offence teams should be able to score a win.

+2 Atk should be easy enough to boost to, as most stall players Protect then WoW with Sableye - giving you 2 turns for Hone Claws. This set is ideally paired with a Stealth Rocker that can set on Sableye or forces it out (Skill Swap Azelf, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mold Breaker Excadrill) as it misses out on important 2HKOes and OHKOes without rocks (e.g. a guaranteed OHKO on Clefable with +2 Atk 140 BP Facade after rocks so long as you're Adamant, so you don't have to take a Moonblast - which Kyurem can handle but doesn't enjoy). Fusion Bolt while burned only 2HKOes Sableye after rocks at +3 Atk, but that's okay because the standard Protect/WoW/Knock Off/Recover set does next to no damage thereby making Sableye pure setup fodder.

While Facade may seem a little worthless otherwise, pseudo Bolt/Beam is already great so additional coverage isn't that vital and Will-o-Wisp/fishing for Scald burns/Toxic Spikes are always pretty common outside of stall (plus, 70 BP off the back of base 170 fully invested Adamant attack is not that bad). Subzero Slammer never fails to hit things for huge damage, making Kyurem extremely hard to switch into even for resists, and it can also take hard neutral attacks due to its natural bulk (e.g. things like Mega-Swampert's Earthquake, who Subzero Slammer OHKOes). 252 Spe doesn't outspeed anything extra while Adamant, while 248 outspeeds 252+ Jolly Mega Gyrados by a single point, hence the 8 HP EVs.

Here's a huge wall of calcs against stall (and one against Mega-Swampert right at the bottom) while burned and not burned, most at the discussed +2 Atk mark:
Subzero Slammer (= +2 Atk burned Subzero Slammer)

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 360-424 (118.8 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 249-294 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 580-684 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 385-454 (97.7 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 351-414 (89 - 105%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 Atk Fusion Bolt or +3 Atk 70 BP Facade for Quag (who you can use as setup fodder if you're not burned)

+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 240-283 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 332-392 (99.6 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 387-456 (55 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 257-303 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 205-242 (52 - 61.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 406-478 (133.5 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Burned +2 Atk Fusion Bolt or 140 BP Facade (+2 Atk Subzero Slammer or +3 Atk Fusion Bolt needed for Sab, but again it's setup fodder)

+3 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 150-176 (49.5 - 58%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 542-638 (77 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 359-423 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 328-386 (83.2 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 203-239 (66.7 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs (play cautious if burned around Skarmory in case of a Counter set)

0 Atk Sableye-Mega Knock Off vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 61-73 (15.5 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 8 HP Kyurem-Black: 100-100 (25.4 - 25.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 216-254 (54.9 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 94-112 (23.9 - 28.4%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 29-34 (7.3 - 8.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Mega-Swampert Calcs, to demonstrate Kyurem taking a heavy neutral STAB hit and OHKOing back:

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 199-235 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 403-475 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And here's a replay, it's against stall but not Mega-Sableye stall: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705426762

If I get a higher ladder replay (or one against Mega Sableye), I'll post it up, but I think the calcs speak for themselves.

EDIT: Here's a stall match against the exact team described, unsurprisingly it breaks it (though I should probably be a little more careful about PP in future matches): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706912579

Last edited:
Stallbreaker Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Fusion Bolt
- Facade
- Hone Claws

I was trying to think of a way to completely bust open stall featuring Mega-Sableye/Chansey/Skarmory/Unaware Clef/Unaware Quag/Toxapex - this set is what I came up with. While mixed attacker Subzero Slammer sets can beat out stall, they require some prediction - which this set doesn't. The idea is that if Kyurem isn't burned you have the extremely potent combo of Subzero Slammer/Fusion Bolt at whatever level of attack you manage to boost to, and if it is burned it unlocks a 140 base power move to throw around (and +2 Atk Fusion Bolt still hits Skarmory/Toxapex suitably hard to 2HKO, plus even when burned Subzero Slammer hits like a truck) - bearing in mind Terravolt ignores Unaware and Sturdy. Once you've KOed 2 or 3 stallmons, most offence teams should be able to score a win.

+2 Atk should be easy enough to boost to, as most stall players Protect then WoW with Sableye - giving you 2 turns for Hone Claws. This set is ideally paired with a Stealth Rocker that can set on Sableye or forces it out (Skill Swap Azelf, Clefable, Mega Diancie, Mold Breaker Excadrill) as it misses out on important 2HKOes and OHKOes without rocks (e.g. a guaranteed OHKO on Clefable with +2 Atk 140 BP Facade after rocks so long as you're Adamant, so you don't have to take a Moonblast - which Kyurem can handle but doesn't enjoy). Fusion Bolt while burned only 2HKOes Sableye after rocks at +3 Atk, but that's okay because the standard Protect/WoW/Knock Off/Recover set does next to no damage thereby making Sableye pure setup fodder.

While Facade may seem a little worthless otherwise, pseudo Bolt/Beam is already great so additional coverage isn't that vital and Will-o-Wisp/fishing for Scald burns/Toxic Spikes are always pretty common outside of stall (plus, 70 BP off the back of base 170 fully invested Adamant attack is not that bad). Subzero Slammer never fails to hit things for huge damage, making Kyurem extremely hard to switch into even for resists, and it can also take hard neutral attacks due to its natural bulk (e.g. things like Mega-Swampert's Earthquake, who Subzero Slammer OHKOes). 252 Spe doesn't outspeed anything extra while Adamant, while 248 outspeeds 252+ Jolly Mega Gyrados by a single point, hence the 8 HP EVs.

Here's a huge wall of calcs against stall (and one against Mega-Swampert right at the bottom) while burned and not burned, most at the discussed +2 Atk mark:
Subzero Slammer (= +2 Atk burned Subzero Slammer)

252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 360-424 (118.8 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 249-294 (74.7 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 580-684 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 385-454 (97.7 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 351-414 (89 - 105%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 152-179 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 Atk Fusion Bolt or +3 Atk 70 BP Facade for Quag (who you can use as setup fodder if you're not burned)

+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 240-283 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 332-392 (99.6 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 387-456 (55 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 257-303 (65.2 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+3 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 205-242 (52 - 61.4%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 406-478 (133.5 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Burned +2 Atk Fusion Bolt or 140 BP Facade (+2 Atk Subzero Slammer or +3 Atk Fusion Bolt needed for Sab, but again it's setup fodder)

+3 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 150-176 (49.5 - 58%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 166-196 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 542-638 (77 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 359-423 (91.1 - 107.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 328-386 (83.2 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Teravolt burned Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 203-239 (66.7 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs (play cautious if burned around Skarmory in case of a Counter set)

0 Atk Sableye-Mega Knock Off vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 61-73 (15.5 - 18.5%) -- possible 6HKO
Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 8 HP Kyurem-Black: 100-100 (25.4 - 25.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 216-254 (54.9 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 94-112 (23.9 - 28.4%) -- 97.4% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 8 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 29-34 (7.3 - 8.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Mega-Swampert Calcs, to demonstrate Kyurem taking a heavy neutral STAB hit and OHKOing back:

252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-Black: 199-235 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Swampert-Mega: 403-475 (118.1 - 139.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And here's a replay, it's against stall but not Mega-Sableye stall: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705426762

If I get a higher ladder replay (or one against Mega Sableye), I'll post it up, but I think the calcs speak for themselves.
just use sub hone claws iron head and fusion bolt for stall imo

HCJB

Banned deucer.
just use sub hone claws iron head and fusion bolt for stall imo
That doesn't get past Quag though, and the coverage is a little niche. Maybe with the flinch chance you get there but it's awkward:

+6 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-220 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Having Subzero Slammer makes you a potent wallbreaker even in non-stall match-ups, and Facade also makes you a psuedo-status absorber - punishing your opponent for using Toxic Spikes Toxapex (which seems to be everywhere) and being able to switch into Scalds happily. I suppose the main drawback of my set is it doesn't handle Ferro very well who is reasonably common on stall (you need to hit it with your Subzero Slammer pretty much, and Gyro Ball is rough to face so you can't readily boost against it) - but Ferro is extremely easy to check/counter in a second mon with fire coverage, and you're still almost guaranteed 1 KO with Subzero Slammer as Ferrothorn is only really a check so a good stall player wouldn't just switch it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't get past Quag though, and the coverage is a little niche. Maybe with the flinch chance you get there but it's awkward:

+6 252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 187-220 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Having Subzero Slammer makes you a potent wallbreaker even in non-stall match-ups, and Facade also makes you a psuedo-status absorber - punishing your opponent for using Toxic Spikes Toxapex (which seems to be everywhere) and being able to switch into Scalds happily. I suppose the main drawback of my set is it doesn't handle Ferro very well who is reasonably common on stall (you need to hit it with your Subzero Slammer pretty much, and Gyro Ball is rough to face so you can't readily boost against it) - but Ferro is extremely easy to check/counter in a second mon with fire coverage, and you're still almost guaranteed 1 KO with Subzero Slammer as Ferrothorn is only really a check so a good stall player wouldn't just switch it in.
hm why not yea, facade is a niche ig

HCJB

Banned deucer.
If the sets weren't slightly niche, they wouldn't be creative and underrated ;-P

I know my previous post was a little long to explain the ins and outs of the play against stall, but it's as simple as (A) it does a good job at combatting stall, (B) Subzero Slammer wallbreaks like a boss outside of stall matches and (C) it takes advantage of things like the ever common Toxapex Toxic Spikes too - and gives you a switch into mons with Scald. Bolt/Beam coverage is good, Terravolt makes Kyurem's attack boosts always relevant and Facade punishes opponents for normal status counter-play (140 BP Facade when poisoned/burned is pretty much at the level of a decent 95ish BP STAB attack).

The downsides are all of Kyurem-B's regular downsides (a slightly iffy speed tier, particularly when running Adamant like this set does, and a typing that makes it difficult to trivially spam Subzero Slammer in a pretty steel/fairy heavy meta) - but as the set has decent bulk and is good at tackling stall as well as hitting so hard in the first place, it's definitely a worthy breaker for a HO team.

Kyurem-B set looks really fun. You could use Substitute just over Facade, that way you can avoid Sableye-M’s burn altogether, as well as pesky Toxics from Chansey. I doubt Sable’s Knock Off or Quagsire/Pex’s Scald will break and you can even give enough HP to survive Seismic Toss. +1 Subzero Slammer will still kill Clefable. I guess against Quagsire you’ll have to use Freeze Shock, but maybe some HP evs will prevent even EQ from breaking the sub

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Kyurem-B set looks really fun. You could use Substitute just over Facade, that way you can avoid Sableye-M’s burn altogether, as well as pesky Toxics from Chansey. I doubt Sable’s Knock Off or Quagsire/Pex’s Scald will break and you can even give enough HP to survive Seismic Toss. +1 Subzero Slammer will still kill Clefable. I guess against Quagsire you’ll have to use Freeze Shock, but maybe some HP evs will prevent even EQ from breaking the sub
Yeah, that would definitely work too, however it makes you a bit limited in terms of what you can do outside of stall matches once you've used Subzero Slammer.

I think a really nice partner to the set is Tapu Koko, it's what I'm using currently. Basically makes Fusion Bolt a STAB in Electric Terrain, and if you're poisoned (from Toxic Spikes or something obvious, like having to switch a special attacker out of Chansey) then Facade also has more or less the power of a base 95 STAB (95 x 1.5 = 142.5). Definitely pretty scary to be switching into.

EDIT: So, I have another set...

Extra Fiery Zard-X

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

The idea here is to exchange Dragon Claw for Fire Punch, with Flare Blitz still being needed to break walls and Earthquake being needed for Heatran. The main issue with Dragon Claw is that it doesn't hit fairies, and it doesn't hit steels hard. What this means is you have to fall back on Flare Blitz pretty quickly for these mons (even for things like Magearna, with the AV variant rarely OHKOed by Earthquake after rocks), with recoil rapidly taking a toll. This quite causes you to faint, which isn't what you want if you're looking to sweep.

Naturally there's also the popular Dragon Dance/Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Roost, and the opportunities to Roost are similar to those where you are using Fire Punch (against things like Magic Guard Clefable, Kartana, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Scizor - who all deal <50% damage). However Roost does leave you open to status on these turns, or could allow your opponent to Defog on something like Scizor. Additionally, you don't have to be thinking about a need to Roost while you're trying to clean their team late game. Fire Punch can still be used like Dragon Claw to catch things on the switch, without taking any recoil, at only a touch less base power.

In terms of what you lose by dropping dragon coverage - I would say not very much at all. While it can be used to hit slower dragons such as Zygarde, Dragonite and Kyurem, some of the premier checks of Zard-X at the +1 are the Scarfed Lati twins and ScarfChomp. As you will need to prepare for both of these in a separate teammate, you then cover Zygarde, Dragonite and Kyurem by proxy. The other use of Dragon Claw is to hit water types, however Earthquake already allows you to breeze through Toxapex, a good rain team isn't going to let you get to +2 Speed anyway for Dragon Claw to be effective, and Tapu Fini is immune to Dragon Claw. Ash-Greninja is OHKOed after Rocks with +1 Flare Blitz too (and can be taken out with a +1 Earthquake with just a bit of chip damage). Arguably it's some use for Mantine, but there's really not that much more it helps with.

Here's a replay to show my point, not particularly high ladder but the opponent's team is decent enough and they're not making bad plays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706845232

After squeaking through Mega-Gyarados, you can see here that the opponent is expecting me to KO myself with recoil on Kartana (which normally you would have to do on a Dragon Claw three attack set), here I OHKO with Fire Punch and then take Lando-T out with Flare Blitz (the only move that would KO him at the +1).

EDIT: Here's a higher ladder replay (near 1700): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-708334187 You can see that the opponent is hoping to shred Zard with Rocky Helmet Tangrowth and the Flare Blitz Recoil, but Fire Punch allows for me secure a KO without huge damage and gain a subsequent KO after that. Again while you could beat Tang with Roost, Tang isn't really the kind of thing you want to be Roosting on in case of Toxic.

Overall I find the set easier to late game clean with than the Roost set, and it often takes less recoil than the Dragon Claw three attacks set - while not really losing much in terms of coverage. The main downside is that deep feeling of sadness you get when you encounter an Air Balloon Heatran.

Last edited:

Kartana @ Fightinium Z/Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 16 HP / 180 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword/Knock Off
- Substitute

This is a Kartana set that I've been using lately that I think is very underrated. Though I didn't make it, you have to fully read the analysis on the smogon dex to find it and I'd just like to spotlight it more here because I feel it can stand on it's own (credit to whoever wrote the Kartana analysis). Kartana threatens so many defensive Pokémon right now and a lot of people are running bulky offense, on these forced switches you can set up a Substitute, which allows you to set up and hit things you outspeed for very high chunks of damage, or you can hit them before they break the substitute and swap Kartana out, which is great for whittling down offensive threats; as well as getting a hit on bulky threats that counter Kartana, rather than act as Beast Boost fodder. All this while conserving your Kartana at the same time.

For example, you send your Kartana in on, lets say, Mamoswine. Its a clean OHKO, but you see that Celesteela in the back, packing its Elon Musk branded Flamethrower. Now obviously its gonna come in to tank a Leaf Blade, so you set up a sub. He stays in thinking you can do no harm and you can fire off a All Out Pummeling to bring that thing down to manageable range, it breaks your sub and you swap into something that can handle the weakened wall.

The EV's sacrifice a little out of attack, but with the number of safe Swords Dances you can get, the difference is negligible. The extra HP and SpDef stops your sub from being broken by Toxapex's Scald and Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball (as well as Knock Off if you opt for Fightinium Z) leaving these mons are pure set up fodder. Obviously this set wrecks stall, its awesome to sub up as people think they can out-play you with a Will-O-Wisp. For the Unaware, Quagsire RIP and Clefable isn't handling Leaf Blades all too well, especially with the nice Crit Hit ratio. Leftovers is pretty nice to help you set up many times throughout a game, but Fightinium is also good to get Beast Boost rolling and to break through many checks at +2. This set serves to wallbreak midgame and can also clean up if you can get rid of stuff that outspeeds, or even if they have one Scarfer left, if you can OHKO, then get a sub up and you win. It's also great for scouting unexpected Hidden Power Fire.

All mid 1500's (I got 1700 with other people'es teams but got bored and decided to start climbing with my own, RMT HERE)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-707348961
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706988457
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706995900
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706999704 (horrific misplay by me cause I was a little drunk but Kartana just won me the game)
(I'll get some better replays in a sec I just grabbed these of my RMT for now, both show Kartana beating Clefable with some nice crits, but as this is a HO team I decide to sack him off for momentum.)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703893846
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703895597

Last edited:

Kartana @ Fightinium Z/Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 16 HP / 180 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword/Knock Off
- Substitute

This is a Kartana set that I've been using lately that I think is very underrated. Though I didn't make it, you have to fully read the analysis on the smogon dex to find it and I'd just like to spotlight it more here because I feel it can stand on it's own (credit to whoever wrote the Kartana analysis). Kartana threatens so many defensive Pokémon right now and a lot of people are running bulky offense, on these forced switches you can set up a Substitute, which allows you to set up and hit things you outspeed for very high chunks of damage, or you can hit them before they break the substitute and swap Kartana out, which is great for whittling down offensive threats; as well as getting a hit on bulky threats that counter Kartana, rather than act as Beast Boost fodder. All this while conserving your Kartana at the same time.

For example, you send your Kartana in on, lets say, Mamoswine. Its a clean OHKO, but you see that Celesteela in the back, packing its Elon Musk branded Flamethrower. Now obviously its gonna come in to tank a Leaf Blade, so you set up a sub. He stays in thinking you can do no harm and you can fire off a All Out Pummeling to bring that thing down to manageable range, it breaks your sub and you swap into something that can handle the weakened wall.

The EV's sacrifice a little out of attack, but with the number of safe Swords Dances you can get, the difference is negligible. The extra HP and SpDef stops your sub from being broken by Toxapex's Scald and Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball (as well as Knock Off if you opt for Fightinium Z) leaving these mons are pure set up fodder. Obviously this set wrecks stall, its awesome to sub up as people think they can out-play you with a Will-O-Wisp. For the Unaware, Quagsire RIP and Clefable isn't handling Leaf Blades all too well, especially with the nice Crit Hit ratio. Leftovers is pretty nice to help you set up many times throughout a game, but Fightinium is also good to get Beast Boost rolling and to break through many checks at +2. This set serves to wallbreak midgame and can also clean up if you can get rid of stuff that outspeeds, or even if they have one Scarfer left, if you can OHKO, then get a sub up and you win. It's also great for scouting unexpected Hidden Power Fire.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706988457
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-706995900

(I'll get some better replays in a sec I just grabbed these of my RMT for now, both show Kartana beating Clefable with some nice crits, but as this is a HO team I decide to sack him off for momentum.)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703893846
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-703895597
Pretty nice set, but I just wanted to point out that you only need 8 HP EVs for Kartana'a Sub to survive Toxapex's Scald and Ferrothorn's Knock (in fact, you only really need 4 HP EVs, but it enables Kartana to make 4 Subs if holding Fightinium Z, so you should use 8 HP EVs), as this leaves Kartana's Sub with 65 HP (261/4 = 65.25, which is rounded down to 65) while both moves deal at most 64 and 63 HP, respectively (it also makes Kartana hit slightly harder):

0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 8 HP / 60 SpD Kartana: 54-64 (20.6 - 24.5%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Possible damage amounts: (54, 54, 55, 56, 57, 57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 60, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64)

0 Atk Ferrothorn Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 53-63 (20.3 - 24.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Possible damage amounts: (53, 54, 54, 55, 56, 56, 57, 57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 61, 61, 62, 63)

8 HP / 188 Atk / 60 SpD / 252 Spe

However, if Ferrothorn were to use Gyro Ball, it would most probably have 0 Speed IVs and a hindering nature, thus enabling it to break Kartana's Sub:

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 60-72 (22.9 - 27.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

HCJB

Banned deucer.
So here's a set I'm currently experimenting with:

Grassy Seed CM Clefable

Clefable @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Flamethrower / Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

The bad thing about CM Clefable sets is they usually need you to take out a lot of checks for them to be successful - in no small part due to the weakness to physical steel attacks. People have tried to circumvent this with a sort of Double Dance set using both CM and Cosmic Power, but limiting yourself to only Stored Power as a single attack means you are hard walled by dark mons, which doesn't help combat the issue of having trouble finding setup opportunities.

By using Grassy Seed (my recommendation over Electric Seed for the passive recovery it also gives for a few turns, and for neutering strong Earthquakes), your physical bulk is suitably increased (while also powering up your Stored Power a little faster), expanding your opportunities to set up and allowing you to comfortably run two attacks - Flamethrower for steels or Moonblast for dark types would be my guess. Additionally, Magic Guard prevents any status, meaning Toxic stalling doesn't work on you. At +6 SpAtk, SpDef and +1 Def, Stored Power becomes 280 BP and is capable of 2HKOing Unaware Clefable and Quagsire, as well as Chansey.

If you want additional physical bulk, both Koko and Bulu can run screens support depending on your seed of choice, which makes even an 252+ Atk Mega Mawile Iron Head do under 50% (though not something that you'll enjoy due to the flinch chance). I suppose the main issue with the set is Haze or psuedo-Hazing, which destroys your boosts (requiring three Calm Minds to OHKO Pex), but this set has far less to worry about than other Clefable sets trying to do the same thing. Here's the calcs so you can get a feel for how it works:

Look at the boost to SpAtk to see the relevant number of CMs required

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 596-704 (229.2 - 270.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

64+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 126-150 (31.9 - 38%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega: 248-292 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

176 Atk Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+1 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Greninja: 244-288 (85.6 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery (against poison type)

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 198-234 (62 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+5 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (240 BP) vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 364-429 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (280 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Clefable: 209-246 (53 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 0 SpA Clefable Stored Power (280 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 272-320 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I think with the extra physical bulk this set is extremely viable, and certainly a solid basis for a bulky offence team. Once Pex, Mantine and other Hazers/puesdo-Hazers are out the way, this set can really start to shine.

Here's a replay, low ladder but you get the general drift: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-711333815

Last edited:
I can't wait to try it out, but if your opponent has haze Pex, it's almost like you're playing 5-6. Hawlucha, another Seed-dependent Pokemon, merely needs its checks weakened. This Clefable set needs them gone. I wouldn't dare use it without something like trapper Heatran.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
I can't wait to try it out, but if your opponent has haze Pex, it's almost like you're playing 5-6. Hawlucha, another Seed-dependent Pokemon, merely needs its checks weakened. This Clefable set needs them gone. I wouldn't dare use it without something like trapper Heatran.
That's true, but so do all Clefable CM sets - so I think if you were going to try and use it this would be the way. Magic Guard Reuniclus can OHKO Pex after Rocks at the +1 if you run 252+ SpAtk with Psyshock (and you can run enough speed to outpace), and also can use similar Grassy Seed shenanigans, but quite quickly you start to become weak to Ash-Greninja so I'm not so sure (Clefable needs +2 SpDef to handle Specs Hydro Pumps). One of the nice things about trying this with a psychic type is that it reduces the power of Knock Off to 65, so you become much better at handling non-STAB Knock Offs than you'd think.

I think I'm going to stew on the set a bit more and see if I can make a nice team around it, certainly can become very difficult for people to deal with very fast - and serves as a stall breaker against stall teams lacking Whirlwind.

Overview:

Thanks to block and spite, Toxapex is now a PP stalling wall breaker.

The Plan:

1.Switch into anything that can't two-hit KO

2.Block

3. Use Spite

4. Rest when need be. Rest allows you to avoid using PP, so between that and Spite, you will always win the PP war.

Get ready for lengthy battles.

The Set:
Ursula (Toxapex) (F) @ Shed Shell/ Iceium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spite
- Rest
- Block
- Scald/Haze

The Moves:

I now prefer using Scald on this set to burn Mega Sableye, but if you want the ability to potentially/more comfortably PP stall two mons, use Haze (48 PP).

Set Details:

252 HP lets you stall out Chansey's Seismic Toss.

I prefer Shed Shell for escaping Magma Storm. Shed Shell also allows you to escape your own block when Magic Bounced back at you.

Haze is better for stalling out Set-Up Sweepers like Calm Mind Clefable. Z- Haze allows you to regain HP in a situation where you shouldn't rest.

Spite is a beautiful move that helps PP stall notable moves like Fusion Bolt, Hurricane, and Magma Storm. Use smart switching and you should end up on top.

Eventually, your opponent's mons will all struggle and kill themselves.

This set will defeat these mons after Block:

Phys Walls:

Celesteela, Clefable(Haze), Mew (without taunt), Quagsire., Skarmary, Suicune, Tangrowth, Toxapex, Mega Venusaur, Avalugg

Special Walls:
Chansey, Jirachi (Without Zenn headbutt), Mantine, Cresselia (trick room set)

Mixed Walls:

Alolamolla, Ferrothorn, Amoongus, Porygon2

Other Victims:
Mega-Scizor, Shuckle, Araquanid, Ribombee, Uxie, Scolipede, Ditto, Kingdra, Muk, Qwilphish, Hydragon

Choice Items Users:
Keldo, Azumaril

Team Options:
Stall. Use with a fellow regenerator mon

Proof:
Vs. Toxapex
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-702082617

Vs. Trick Room
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-693372498

Vs. Stall (Chansey)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-693368341

Vs. Ballance
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-693298187

Vs. Sticky Web (Ribombee)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691755982

Vs. Clefable (I lost this one because I fell asleep, but Toxapaex would've won)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-683789577
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684593852
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-702163491

Vs. Mew
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-683039997

Vs. Mega Venasuar
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684786815

Vs. Tangrowth
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684623966
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684290286

Vs. Celesteela
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684579489

Vs. Rain
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684608447

Vs. Kyurem B
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684560407

Vs. Araquanid
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-684304566

Coil Camoflage Zygarde

A2463091-CC7F-463C-BD98-6DEA8717A3F9.gif

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 80 Def / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Camouflage
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 160 HP / 156 Atk / 164 SpA / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Coil
- Camouflage
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extreme Speed

This set is pretty crazy. The idea is to take a supereffective hit and then to camo so that you’re opponent can’t 2hko you with it. The special attack boost from weakness policy enables you to run hp fire to hit steels instead of arrows. The evs allow zygarde to ohko mega scizor at +2 after rocks and do a solid amount to Ferro.

Camoflage is, in my opinion, a very underrated move for zygarde. Camoflage can do a variety of things for zygarde, including but not limited to:
  • Avoiding 4x damage from hp ice or other supereffective moves
  • Giving extreme speed STAB (camo with no terrain -> normal type)
  • On a switch in from tapu bulu (a very common switch-in to zygarde) you can become grass, wall them, and setup coils in their face while receiving recovery from the terrain
Camoflage is best paired with a defensive coil set imo because of how the lack of weaknesses bolsters zygarde’s already strong bulk and because STAB extreme speed already gives zygarde enough “speed” to sweep. The lack of substitute, however, defenitely makes it more difficult to setup against defensive teams. Thousand arrows is run over other coverage options to deal with steels. I find that most of the things that I end up needing arrows to hit are slower than zygarde anyway, so not much speed is needed. Keep in mind that thousand arrows is STAB before you camo. The evs do a few things:
  • You can outspeed magearna and camo in order to not die to a fleur or kill it with arrows if it’s low
  • The hp and special defense are from smogon’s double dance zygarde spread, which lets you take a moon blast from lele after rocks or two from fini, also after rocks (before camo)
  • The attack evs hit a jump point
  • The rest is dumped into defense to boost zygarde’s physical bulk
The reliance on extreme speed does make facing opposing tapu lele and ghosts (although they can’t hit you when you’re normal type) frustrating. However, sweeping through offensive teams and breaking through zygarde’s usual grass switchins is made a lot easier with STAB espeed.

I use it on veil because HO is a play style that I enjoy, but it is certainly usable on other types of teams

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713183392

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713186633

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713241318

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Coil Camoflage Zygarde

View attachment 104617

Zygarde @ Iapapa Berry / Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 80 Def / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Camouflage
- Extreme Speed
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 160 HP / 156 Atk / 164 SpA / 28 SpD
Brave Nature
- Coil
- Camouflage
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Extreme Speed

This set is pretty crazy. The idea is to take a supereffective hit and then to camo so that you’re opponent can’t 2hko you with it. The special attack boost from weakness policy enables you to run hp fire to hit steels instead of arrows. The evs allow zygarde to ohko mega scizor at +2 after rocks and do a solid amount to Ferro.

Camoflage is, in my opinion, a very underrated move for zygarde. Camoflage can do a variety of things for zygarde, including but not limited to:
  • Avoiding 4x damage from hp ice or other supereffective moves
  • Giving extreme speed STAB (camo with no terrain -> normal type)
  • On a switch in from tapu bulu (a very common switch-in to zygarde) you can become grass, wall them, and setup coils in their face while receiving recovery from the terrain
Camoflage is best paired with a defensive coil set imo because of how the lack of weaknesses bolsters zygarde’s already strong bulk and because STAB extreme speed already gives zygarde enough “speed” to sweep. The lack of substitute, however, defenitely makes it more difficult to setup against defensive teams. Thousand arrows is run over other coverage options to deal with steels. I find that most of the things that I end up needing arrows to hit are slower than zygarde anyway, so not much speed is needed. Keep in mind that thousand arrows is STAB before you camo. The evs do a few things:
  • You can outspeed magearna and camo in order to not die to a fleur or kill it with arrows if it’s low
  • The hp and special defense are from smogon’s double dance zygarde spread, which lets you take a moon blast from lele after rocks or two from fini, also after rocks (before camo)
  • The attack evs hit a jump point
  • The rest is dumped into defense to boost zygarde’s physical bulk
The reliance on extreme speed does make facing opposing tapu lele and ghosts (although they can’t hit you when you’re normal type) frustrating. However, sweeping through offensive teams and breaking through zygarde’s usual grass switchins is made a lot easier with STAB espeed.

I use it on veil because HO is a play style that I enjoy, but it is certainly usable on other types of teams

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713183392

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713186633

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-713241318
We all know zygarde can use different spreads and sets and still be good, however i would like to say Substitute is extremely useful over Espeed here, because it allows u to avoid toxic from toxapex, random scalds, and more notably leech seed from ferrothorn, which is setup bait via Sub+Coil. Espeed, which is generally used as an anti scarf greninja or lategame cleaning move, is still a good idea, but the utility provided by substitute, which cannot be broken by Hpice landorus nor earthquake after some coils, is far greater in my opinion. Sub happens to be less useful vs offense and hyper offense, but not using Sub means that 99% balance teams will status you and knock your leftovers. An Ev spread maximizing its bulk is also nice: adamant gives zygarde more power, but being normal type doesnt let zygarde use this power instanty. Thats why you will find yourself attacking only after many boosts, which will be made easier with a Spdef set:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Camouflage
- Thousand Arrows

HCJB

Banned deucer.
We all know zygarde can use different spreads and sets and still be good, however i would like to say Substitute is extremely useful over Espeed here, because it allows u to avoid toxic from toxapex, random scalds, and more notably leech seed from ferrothorn, which is setup bait via Sub+Coil. Espeed, which is generally used as an anti scarf greninja or lategame cleaning move, is still a good idea, but the utility provided by substitute, which cannot be broken by Hpice landorus nor earthquake after some coils, is far greater in my opinion. Sub happens to be less useful vs offense and hyper offense, but not using Sub means that 99% balance teams will status you and knock your leftovers. An Ev spread maximizing its bulk is also nice: adamant gives zygarde more power, but being normal type doesnt let zygarde use this power instanty. Thats why you will find yourself attacking only after many boosts, which will be made easier with a Spdef set:

Zygarde @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Camouflage
- Thousand Arrows
I was going to suggest this, but then thought against it - mainly because even with Sub Camouflage you still have a hard time getting through Bulu with Extreme Speed helps with, and that seemed to be a big USP of the set. Even so, I think Camo Sub is still a good idea, it just again just adjust its checks a little a more and is a little more niche, but it is a cool alternate.

Work Up Kommo-o

6660D93E-CADD-40E7-95DC-9A2DEDB8C369.gif

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof / Overcoat
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 244 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Work Up
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

This is an interesting set I’ve been using for kommo-o. It uses the combination of work up and clangorous soulblaze to create a kind of a double dance set. So why would anyone want to use work up over swords dance, dragon dance, or even bulk up? Work up boosts special attack which is necessary to make clanging scales do any damage. Clanging scales hits what earthquake and drain punch cannot, namely landorus and hawlucha. Work up can also turn clangorous soulblaze into a devastatingly powerful z-move that will also give all of your stats a +1 boost. Remember that if your opponent throws a fairy at you when you z move you will not receive any stat boosts. On that note, if your opponent has a tapu koko or a magearna, you can lure it and hit it with a earthquake. Drain punch is incredibly useful for its coverage and recovery. Despite the lonely nature and the fact that clanging scales drops defense, kommo-o’s defenses are pretty strong, especially at +1 and given the resists that it has. Bulletproof is probably the nature your going to be using most of the time, but overcoat is good for veil HO to negate hail damage.

This set has brought me a good amount of success on the ladder and is one of the best z-move users for HO imo.

Last edited:
Work Up Kommo-o

View attachment 106163

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof / Overcoat
EVs: 96 Atk / 168 SpA / 236 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Work Up
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake

This is an interesting set I’ve been using for kommo-o. It uses the combination of work up and clangorous soulblaze to create a kind of a double dance set. So why would anyone want to use work up over swords dance, dragon dance, or even bulk up? Work up boosts special attack which is necessary to make clanging scales do any damage. Clanging scales hits what earthquake and drain punch cannot, namely landorus and hawlucha. Work up can also turn clangorous soulblaze into a devastatingly powerful z-move that will also give all of your stats a +1 boost. Remember that if your opponent throws a fairy at you when you z move you will not receive any stat boosts. On that note, if your opponent has a tapu koko or a magearna, you can lure it and hit it with a earthquake. Drain punch is incredibly useful for its coverage and recovery. Despite the lonely nature and the fact that clanging scales drops defense, kommo-o’s defenses are pretty strong, especially at +1 and given the resists that it has. Bulletproof is probably the nature your going to be using most of the time, but overcoat is good for veil HO to negate hail damage.

This set has brought me a good amount of success on the ladder and is one of the best z-move users for HO imo.

If you drop the special attack EVs 8 points and move those into speed, you'll outspeed ash gren after a boost. Unless those 8 EVs contribute to some OHKO on something I'm missing, you may as well. Lopunny is totally out of reach for non speed boosting nature kommo-o, however. Great set!
Edit: I meant 8 EVs, not 9

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)