Data Usage-Based Tier Update for January 2018 (Feb @ #263) (Mar @ #696)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did I hear some days ago? No Mamoswine hype going on at all?

There goes UU's best Ice type, now we'll have to resort to Kyurem (which is pretty difficult to use) or Alolaslash+Aurorus (which only fit on very specific archetypes).

Ayy Blastoise finally dropped. At least something good happened too.

Also Ambi didn't drop because its usage last time was so big you can still see it in thus month's stats. And because it is on its way to becoming noobtrap. Ffs I still see some people use it.

Also Arcanine rose above 3.41 usage again, why didnt they ignore quick cutoffs for once and dropped the damn thing, who knows how long it'll take until it may drop again.

Lycanroc-D may be legit good in RU, although it will face competition from Dactyl and have problems with Megalix.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
What did I hear some days ago? No Mamoswine hype going on at all?

There goes UU's best Ice type, now we'll have to resort to Kyurem (which is pretty difficult to use) or Alolaslash+Aurorus (which only fit on very specific archetypes).

Ayy Blastoise finally dropped. At least something good happened too.

Also Ambi didn't drop because its usage last time was so big you can still see it in thus month's stats. And because it is on its way to becoming noobtrap. Ffs I still see some people use it.
Tbf, Mamoswine barely managed to get the cut-off this time unlike Ambi, so the likelihood of it dropping in the future is much higher.
But now comes the real question: Why can't OU take Gliscor? It's not because it's an annoying piece of shit in UU that should go away (although that is part of it), but because Gliscor is actually a really solid Defogger for balance (currently A- on the viability rankings, I even nominated it to go down a few weeks ago and my nom got slammed, so it isn't just hype).

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Blastoise moved from RU to NU :love:
Btw happy for Alt(even If Zu lost a great mon) tornadus and viro,they are actually great at the moment tbh
And finally lycan dropped

Quick Drops/Rises need to be removed. Kinda sad how this has to happen just because one youtuber (right now). While taking away Ambipom was no big problem, Mamoswine is another thing. As we are heading towards the end of the generation, taking away mons will become a bigger problem each month because there is less time left to drop the things back to their former tier. Just imagine if someone decides to take away a core mon of a tier just one month before the end of the generation and you never have the chance to get it back

Quick Drops/Rises need to be removed. Kinda sad how this has to happen just because one youtuber (right now). While taking away Ambipom was no big problem, Mamoswine is another thing. As we are heading towards the end of the generation, taking away mons will become a bigger problem each month because there is less time left to drop the things back to their former tier. Just imagine if someone decides to take away a core mon of a tier just one month before the end of the generation and you never have the chance to get it back
If we take away quickdrops and quickrises those mons are forced to stay AT LEAST 3 months in the tier. It would also give those tubers more time to rack up usage for their Mons. Removing only quickrises is a solution but will prob hurt more than it heals in the long run. Not worth it and will counteract what you're trying to reach.

If we take away quickdrops and quickrises those mons are forced to stay AT LEAST 3 months in the tier. It would also give those tubers more time to rack up usage for their Mons. Removing only quickrises is a solution but will prob hurt more than it heals in the long run. Not worth it and will counteract what you're trying to reach.
While that problem about the 3 months staying is true, the amount of mons that drop in the process of a quick drop is super small. Over the past months or years, most quick drops mons had their abilities banned in their new tiers or are completely unviable and are only high because they were new released mons. Even dying playstyles that only lasted 1 month like Webs Smeargle, Bird Spam Dragonite and Manaphy or Veil Ninetales-A needed all the 3 months to drop back just because the quickdrop cutoff is a low in the first two months. These days, pokemon dropping via quick drop is really rare, most of them just feature completely outclassed mons or mons with banned abilities.
Considering that even garbage things like Ambipom can stay 1-2 months in the tier because the UU label in the teambuilder becomes a noob trap for those people, seeing TTT-Mons drop in quickrises/drops will be a rarity.

Still get your point tho

Also let's not pretend like mamoswine isn't actually good in OU. It had decent usage in OU before Aim did his series, and even started to get more usage in spl due to its wallbreaking abilities. I'm not saying that mamo wouldnt have risen if it wasnt for Aim, but its not like its a complete surprise or undeserving for mamo either. Ambipom obviously has way less reason to be in UU than mamo does in OU.

Adding to what's been sais, Mamoswine was in OU for quite some time in gen 7 already. It saw usage before too and has gotten better recently.
Although the ttt videos definitely made the difference since Mamoswine is not that great, there are worse Pokemon in OU by usage for sure.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Clefairy moved from NFE to PU

Antar just so you know Doubles formats have actual tiering properties on PS now, would it be possible to provide usage stats/updates for those?

Also, can you please note when Pokémon become NFE -> PU or another tier? Like if this weren’t a quickrise month, Type: Null would become NU, and Clefairy still would be PU.

Antar just so you know Doubles formats have actual tiering properties on PS now, would it be possible to provide usage stats/updates for those?

Also, can you please note when Pokémon become NFE -> PU or another tier? Like if this weren’t a quickrise month, Type: Null would become NU, and Clefairy still would be PU.
Definetly agree on this one.

Also, yay for Tornadus, been using it and it's really good.
Also really happy about the Lyncarock drop, it was not worthy of being UU at all. NU at best.

I don't really understand all the hate directed towards joey. Could things like TTT be a problem, yes they COULD. Have they been a problem? No they haven't. Joey is the only poketuber who has been doing something of this nature. It's been 2 months and if anybody else wanted to fuck up smogon tiers, they probably would have already. TTT is meant to highlight a mon that has a decent niche in a tier that it isn't in. The goal of TTT is not to fuck up smogon tiers,

Also let's not pretend like mamoswine isn't actually good in OU. It had decent usage in OU before Aim did his series, and even started to get more usage in spl due to its wallbreaking abilities. I'm not saying that mamo wouldnt have risen if it wasnt for Aim, but its not like its a complete surprise or undeserving for mamo either. Ambipom obviously has way less reason to be in UU than mamo does in OU.
"Decent usage" = not even 1% according to you

Also, while Mamoswine can be good if used well, it is pretty hard to actually fit on teams due to the support it requires. Not a lot of teams can afford this support and thus Mamo doesn't get enough usage to be on 3.41% on teams.

Unless some power-hungry youtuber dictates his fanboys to only use teams that can afford said support and from then on it's easy.

Alright guys, I don't like Milotic being in RU, let's get it to the top of UU! Stuff like Feraligatr will run rampant, but views>tier stability so let's do this!
One day someone is going to do things like that. Aim took UU's only Ice-type (not counting lower tier stuff but that's lower tier for a reason) but things can get MUCH worse than this.

"Decent usage" = not even 1% according to you

Also, while Mamoswine can be good if used well, it is pretty hard to actually fit on teams due to the support it requires. Not a lot of teams can afford this support and thus Mamo doesn't get enough usage to be on 3.41% on teams.

Unless some power-hungry youtuber dictates his fanboys to only use teams that can afford said support and from then on it's easy.

Alright guys, I don't like Milotic being in RU, let's get it to the top of UU! Stuff like Feraligatr will run rampant, but views>tier stability so let's do this!
One day someone is going to do things like that. Aim took UU's only Ice-type (not counting lower tier stuff but that's lower tier for a reason) but things can get MUCH worse than this.
Please show me any showdown youtuber that has even close to the following joey has. You've been at this for weeks, you're really still crying over this lmfao

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Have to agree with this 100%, while there are "LCs" on tiers such as scyther,sneasel and gligar,why wouldn't NFEs be there too?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Please show me any showdown youtuber that has even close to the following joey has. You've been at this for weeks, you're really still crying over this lmfao
Adding on to this, if freaking pokeaim spammed and promoted an actually usable ou mon and it only barely surpassed the cut-off, what are the chances of corrupt moderator mcgee managing to manipulate the system

Just saying: if being viable in OU is enough reason to actually reside in the tier, explain how Gastrodon (who is ranked just as high as Mamo on the VR) is freaking PU.
And not just Mamo. B rank has quite a lot of mons from UU, BL and other tiers that aren't OU. Looking at Reuniclus, Alomomola, Suicune, Gliscor (this thing even is A- ffs) and Kingdra (although that can be debated with rain slowly dying).

And if Joey just wanted to highlight Mamo's niche, and not deliberately move it up, explain how the series is literally called "To The Top" and he calls out his fans to start using it to get it to top usage.

And again, Mamo's departure is pretty harmful to UU. If he took something like Quagsire (relatively irrelevant in lower tiers) or Gliscor (bound to move up anyway) it wouldn't be much of a deal.

Mamo just gets OU usage in the first 2-3 months of a generation and drops afterwards (that was the case in Gen 6 and 7). Mamo hasn't been OU since last year June. I don't know in which world you live, but in my world, 1,2% usage isn't a decent usage rate. Especially if the usage stagnates like it did with Mamo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)