Ursaring

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader

:sv/ursaring:

1670534395077.png

Base Stats: 90 HP / 130 Atk / 75 Def / 75 SpA / 75 SpD / 55 Spe
Abilities: Guts, Quick Feet, Unnerve
Notable Moves: Facade, Swords Dance, Crunch, Close Combat, Earthquake, Seed Bomb, Ice Punch

Pros / Good Qualities:
  • Ursaring has some of the most deadly wallbreaking power in the tier by virtue of Guts-boosted STAB Facade; it is capable of breaking through physically defensive behemoths like Avalugg, Hippowdon, and Slowbro with utter ease.
  • Colorful coverage options allow Ursaring to hit the majority of the metagame, including moves like Crunch, Ice Punch, Close Combat, Earthquake, and Seed Bomb, though it will realistically only use a few of them.
  • The use of Flame Orb lets it avoid otherwise debilitating status from Pokemon like Quagsire and Sludge Bomb Gastrodon, marginally increasing the amount of times it can come in and claim.
  • Access to Swords Dance boosts its already monstruous Attack stat even further, allowing it to pretty much KO the entire metagame.
Cons / Shortcomings
  • It breaks the entire metagame, but it is incredibly slow to do so consistently. It sits at a Speed tier of 55, being outsped by every relevant offensive threat ever, meaning it will have to take a hit before it can throw off its own. This also means its heavily predication-reliant, as it isn't fast enough to make up for a wrong turn.
  • This issue is further compounded by its surprisingly lackluster bulk (??? its a literal bear LOL?), meaning it can't take hits too often. All of this combined with the burn given from Flame Orb means its longevity is going to be incredibly limited.
  • Pure Normal typing isn't exactly a weakness-laded typing, but it isn't one with many resistances either. Because it lacks the necessary bulk, it isn't going to be switching in on much, necessitating pivot support because of this.
Set:
JIGSAW (Ursaring) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Ursaring's devastating power doesn't have to be reiterated any more at this point; this set pushes such power to the fullest, taking advantage of its amazing coverage options to mow down enemy teams with ease. Facade is a must-have, as Guts + STAB make it one of the most nuclear (and satisfying!) moves to click in the tier, breaking through physically defensive behemoths like Slowbro and even significantly wearing down Pokemon resistant to it like Forretress. Close Combat allows Ursaring to safely dispatch Facade-resistant Pokemon like Naclstack and Bisharp and dent Tinkaton as well. Crunch lets Ursaring break through the likes of Bronzong, Slowbro, and Ghost-types like Brambhleghast and Palossand. Swords Dance lets Ursaring boost in the face of passive foes like Hippowdon and Quagsire. Though the latter does have Unaware, it is 2HKOed with ease by Facade. This move is entirely interchangeable, however; I personally just wasn't sure what else you'd use really. Maybe Seed Bomb? Earthquake? Really your choice.

Terastallizing Potential:
  • Ursaring is probably going to take advantage of Tera Normal, as this boosts Facade to ungodly levels of wallbreaking power. A simple no-brainer, IMO.
  • Tera Fairy (or any Fighting-resistant Tera type) probably has potential, as this lets it turn around bad matchups like Gallade and Hawlucha, swaying momentum in its favor.
Sample Team:

:ursaring: :iron-jugulis: :tinkaton: :brambleghast: :vaporeon: :hippowdon:

This team was built around Ursaring, trying to take advantage of the holes it breaks to clean up with something like Iron Jugulis or Vaporeon. Iron Jugulis appreciates how well Ursaring beats its answers in Scream Tail, Gastrodon, and the like. It also provides invaluable Speed control, giving me more leeway against offensive threats like Gallade. Tinkaton appreciates the way that teammates cover its defensive shortcomings, most notably Vaporeon helping against Ground- and Fire-types. Tinkaton checks Pokemon like Hatterene, Grafaiai, and Espathra, among others as well. Brambleghast checks Kilowattrel and provides Spikes + entry hazard control in one slot, compressing roles and freeing up the rest of the team to run other options. Vaporeon is one of two wincons here; it has Calm Mind to compensate for what would otherwise be an incredibly passive slot, taking advantage of Water-immune and resistant Pokemon being eliminated by Ursasing, such as Quagsire, Wo-Chien, Gastrodon, and Tsareena. However, it can also take advantage of Grass-types by Terastallizing into a Grass-type itself, using them as setup fodder and potentially winning games on its own. Wish provides Ursaring and Tinkaton with much needed longevity and provides defensive Pokemon like Hippowdon and Brambleghast with more switch in opportunities. Hippowdon gives me a much needed Electric immunity, Stealth Rock setter, and a way to stave off opposing setup sweepers like Haxorus and Salamence via Whirlwind. This is a balance team, similar to the Oricorio-Sensu one I posted, but it has more wallbreaking power.

Much more inconsistent as a wallbreaker, and its bulk is still absolutely abysmal.
I don't know, with eviolite it can get up to 90/136/136 bulk which is pretty good for an eviolite mon with such a high bst. The biggest issue is the lack of recovery, and guts trigger. Rest somewhat patches that up.

Ursaring @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Play Rough

I used this set in UU to decent success (until I realized eviolite on ursaring doesn't work on showdown yet). You'd want max special bulk, as your physical bulk will get buffed up anyway with bulk up. Furthermore, the sleep status condition actually triggers Guts and Quick Feet (sadly not Facade) so you turn into a hibernating powerhouse.

The glaring flaw in this set is that its a mono attacker, without stab unless you dedicate your tera. So a restalk+2 attacks set is definitely on the table, preferably with some offensive investment. I can't contest the inconsistent part however, as sleep talk will definitely screw you over at times.

Eviolite ursaring does work on the dl site, if you want to run actual tests with it. I used it in a draft match but since that's a different format I won't really get into the details of it.

Last edited:
Unless this changed at some point Sleep does not trigger Guts.
I'm surprised no one corrected this yet. Sleep does trigger Guts. Check in a damage calc, put your guts user to sleep and hover over them to see the increased attack stat, in the teambuilder see how guts/quick feet say "statused" and how facade specifies only burn/paralyze/poison.

The last time I saw a guts restalk set recommended was in gen 4/5 so I was a bit hazy on this interaction but I'm sure now that sleep triggers guts.

Ursaring is pretty awful, you are better off using Zangoose who has similar power but much faster and has Priority or Slaking who is much faster and bulkier. Yeah it's really powerful but it only lasts a turn or two due to its only decent bulk and horrible speed. It needs a ton of support to be worth it and even then it's mostly outclassed. It does have a niche in Trick Room Teams but that's about it.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Slaking who is much faster and bulkier.
-

Slaking is quite awful! Ursaring may be god awful but there is absolutely no world where it is considered in any capacity over other wallbreaking Normal-types. It is so, so easy to take advantage of the free turns that it provides, so I don't possibly get how you could construe that it has a niche over Ursaring.

-

Slaking is quite awful! Ursaring may be god awful but there is absolutely no world where it is considered in any capacity over other wallbreaking Normal-types. It is so, so easy to take advantage of the free turns that it provides, so I don't possibly get how you could construe that it has a niche over Ursaring.
Honesty outside of TR, I would prefer Slaking. It still hits harder than almost anything from the get go and it's speed allows it check more pokemon. Yeah the free turns can be a liability, but there many ways how you easily mitigate that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)