Tournament UPL XI - Post Tour Team / Set Dump

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
1691575377972.png

Art by Blazenix

Use this thread to share the teams that you built for UPL XI, whether they were for yourself or a teammate! The teams don't have to be winning ones and you don't even need to have loaded them, anything you built for the purposes of this tour is a proper fit for this. Anything you forgot to add to your commencement shout-out post? Add it here, too!​

Lasen

smiling through it all
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
(made the thread early because my team is out)

Week 1 vs Edgar: W
:bw/terrakion::bw/arceus-dark::bw/groudon::bw/latios::bw/forretress::bw/giratina-origin:

Me and edgar are Forretress' strongest soldiers. Edgar is Latias' biggest fan. Initially toyed with the idea of good-ol' Excadrill Sand which made an appearance in a future week. Stealth Rock Darkceus is a good catch-all vs. Magic Sun which felt like a good bring into me while also beating opposing Rocks Arceus like Ghostceus. Terrakion is literally just a mon that zf and me like cause it's cool, lol. Lum RP Groudon is busted what can I say! having it as both a super soft Kyogre check and a potential wincon is cool and Roar Latios is because I end up losing to Steelceus a bunch and I dun like it.

Week 2 vs watashi: W
:bw/darkrai::bw/groudon::bw/arceus-ghost::bw/genesect::bw/deoxys-speed::bw/latios:

I looked at watashi's scout when it was provided and thought to myself "Darkrai answer is Darkrai" so I tried going for a typical build with SubNP Darkrai. I am 99.9% sure I cannot claim any part of this team, lol, it's been built like 3000 times. Only thing I will say is that Custap Berry Groudon is super fucking cool and it came up in my game! People should experiment with the item slot a lot more on Groudon; I understand Leftovers' passive recovery on a Pokemon that switches in 20 times a game seems appealing but trust me, you'll see the light of items of Rocky Helmet and Ground Gem...
I expertly flinched or something in this game but it does not matter because it made Fc mad.

week 3 vs Kebabe: L
:bw/darkrai::bw/groudon::bw/arceus-ghost::bw/ho-oh::bw/latias::bw/forretress:

no team to show you here because it's a Jackie team. Ho-Oh was Life Orb, Darkrai was HP Fire Scarf. Idea was to catch Genesect and kill it. Faced Lugia stall w/ Stealth Rock Fightceus and my Kyogre check got crit by Water Spout. Miserable game. Miserable prep.

Week 4 vs Thorx: L
:bw/tyranitar::bw/ferrothorn::bw/giratina::bw/arceus-water::bw/landorus::bw/excadrill:
another week where I just load a team and call it a day. This is a really funny team to showcase because I faced Ho-Oh sun with it twice in the same week and I got crit by Ho-Oh both games on Giratina. Monai was kind of right that some games Tyranitar is just a sack fodder which you cannot possibly sack off because then Excadrill is dead weight... and Ho-Oh sun is 100% one of them. Fun fact! Ferrothorn has a SHOT to live Brave Bird from full! Not mine, though! zf is to blame for Landorus' name.

Week 5 vs MZ: W
:bw/ho-oh::bw/latios::bw/groudon::bw/arceus::bw/genesect::bw/cloyster:

"if you don't play a lot of BW Ubers, I will load Ho-Oh into you." - Magic Sun Tzu, 180AD probably.
Jackie's 6. Don't remember what Latios' EVs do. Edgar told me no one respects Brick Break E-Killer 50 years ago and so I put that to the test this game. He was right. Toxic Spikes go weeeeeeeeeeee! Groudon OHKOs offensive Kyogre iirc and lives 2 Scalds in sun? something like that; I stopped posting in my teamcord around this time because I wasn't getting feedback, anyways.

Week 6 vs Dovah: L
:bw/forretress::bw/kyogre::bw/kabutops::bw/latios::bw/genesect::bw/arceus-ghost:

again no paste. Carl Murray's team I lifted off of his teamdump from a year or two ago, has Thunder Wave Latios which is big broken. The Dovahneer I am forcing you to play on Saturday every time from now on, twice now I've loaded horse teams w/o caring and you've told me you're sick and TWICE I've been nice and rescheduled with you. No more...

Week 7 vs Monai: L
:bw/dialga::bw/scolipede::bw/giratina-origin::bw/tornadus-therian::bw/arceus-steel::bw/kyogre:

Monai is my friend and zf is a meanie who didn't let me load Taunt Tornadus-T vs. Kebabe so I got my torn-t usage in this week. This team fucking SUCKS! i also had a super good MU but I threw for the sake of comedy (read: I legit didn't think or care and auto-piloted x20).

Least fun I've ever had in a teamtour if I am being honest. I had a ton of things to worry about irl concerning my work, my university, irl health issues, money and to top if all off I felt that I didn't belong on the team I was on. I stopped caring after caring too much and it kind of helped but it didn't fix any of the issues. I had some really heated moments in call with my friends after some really embarrassing losses both in my own hands and my teammates' but it's week since my team got eliminated so I don't feel like airing out my grievances.
I want to publicly say this, though: if you don't buy support for a slot and expect that slot to do well, make sure the slot fits in with the rest of the team! I was lucky enough to not butt heads with anyone substantially but my GOD I've been on some dog-shit teams as far as the culture goes.

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i dont usually do these kind of posts because i dont rly care about posting my teams but why not this time it could help develop sv at least

sv:

Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy / Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Mystical Fire
- Memento / Psyshock / Thunderbolt

this mon is broken. end of story. you can use specs, lo, modest, timid, cm taunt, w/e the fuck you want and it'll still do good. USE IT

Rayquaza @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Air Lock
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- Overheat / Extreme Speed

there are a lot of things you can go for with gool ol' ray, the only thing i know for sure is that it's been underexplored as hell when i feel like its one of the best tera users you could possibly dream of. tera flying, fire, normal, it can do a lot of tomfoolery very well. genuinely one of the most scary mon to see on team preview

Miraidon @ Leftovers
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Agility
- Parabolic Charge
- Dazzling Gleam

genuinely dont get why people suddenly stopped using this ? clodsire and treads becoming almost non-existent means this mf got even stronger so... yeah

Arceus-Fire @ Flame Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast

let him cook?
(aurora im sorry for losing with the goat...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ss:

I DONT FUCKING CARE ABOUT THIS TIER HAHAHAHAHAHA JUST USE YEN + CALY/OGRE/MARSH/FERRO/ZYG (MAKE A ROTATION EVERY TWO GAMES) AND YOULL BE GOOD

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Expert Belt
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Stone Edge
- Heat Wave
- Morning Sun

this crackhead set is fun tho. i cant speed creep for shit but its supposed to outspeed ho oh, if it doesnt im not sorry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sm:

Blaziken-Mega @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge

I CRY ON THE CHICKEN hahahaha i love him so much

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Shadow Ball

courtesy of my GOAT Master Chief who recommended me this set. it beats defensive ceus. and it worked out perfectly zehahahahaha

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rest
- Precipice Blades
- Overheat
- Rock Tomb / Toxic

ever got tired of getting outplayed and pogre killing your pdon with 3 ice beam in 10 turns ? i have. thats why i created this abomination. use it with magearna, trust me your mons get poisoned so often in usm they wont even see you used it to wake up pdon too. if you're a crackhead you can also use sleep talk and no heal bell support but i think its bad

sv:

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Tera Type: Bug
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Psychic

Sneasler @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Dire Claw
- Close Combat

Dialga @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder

Arceus-Fighting @ Fist Plate
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Body Press
- Stored Power
- Recover

Eternatus @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

-----

ss:

nothing bc i dont care about this

-----

sm:

Zygarde @ Normalium Z
Ability: Power Construct
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Camouflage
- Substitute

Arceus-Bug @ Insect Plate
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Recover
- Taunt
- Psycho Cut

once again thanks March Fires and Master Chief for drafting me it was a ride <3 + fuck Reje (ily)

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
This was the only team I made this time around:

:dp/giratina-origin: :dp/darkrai: :dp/forretress: :dp/blissey: :dp/groudon: :dp/ho-oh:
Version used vs The Kyle: https://pokepast.es/eea358b787525750
Better version made after the game: https://pokepast.es/75d1c9c68f74da78

It's a very simple bulky Ho-Oh set-up with Darkrai here to lock down some fringe but dangerous/unwinnable match ups. It is traditional down to the Giratina lead and while that is never ideal, it gets the job done and makes Leftovers on Forre possible with being irresponsible. Forre's moveset got jumbled a bit in the rush to get it ready for the game, but I do think Explosion is required here just to make sure Lucario doesn't run the show as soon as it shows Toxic. I didn't want to burn eon twins here and still wanted make sure Skarmory was never safe which is why Flamethrower ended up on Groudon. The Nineveh-style sun stall will destroy this but there isn't much else it is super afraid of.

Everything else I used was Terracotta's idea outside of the team above and the dual weather dual steel team which was a merging of Hack and Terra's ideas for the match-up.

susciety

Under the Alolan moon
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Host
OUPL Champion
Hey with UPL coming to an end for the Villains, I thought it would be cool to share the teams I brought even if I technically didn't build shit. Going to shoutout a couple users before going into the teams cause they 100% deserve it:
Mashing: From forcing me to signup, building most of my teams this entire tour, dealing with my bitching every single week and giving me permissions to share these teams. Me not completely sinking this tour was pretty much all your doing. Fuck everyone up this coming SCL asshole. :blobnom:

Ainzcrad: Ainzblissey...

Fc and mitana: You guys put in a lot of faith in me despite having basically minimal Ubers experience. Really appreciate y'all for giving me this opportunity and drafting such a broken ass team

Nineveh: I'll never understand some of your opinions in DPP (e.g Palkia broken????) but i'm grateful that you helped me with advice as well as giving me the team I used vs. Shrang

tier: Man you put in so much effort in all our SV slots as well as helping me with test games and the other slots even if you don't main em. Definitely one of the best teammates i've ever teamed and I hope you carry this attitude and work ethic towards every other tour you play

Rest of the Villains: Y'all were a great group of players to team with, felt like we would win every week seeing prep and in-game. Alas tiebreak was the only way we lose. Hope to team again sometime down the line

Week 1 Vs The Kyle (W): https://pokepast.es/deb47753194b49f3

I was coming off a really hard week and honestly had no motivation to play. Told my team early on in the week that since The Kyle had minimal experience in the tier that I was going to load Eclipse (Cress Sun Stall for those unaware). Mitana gave me the idea to use CM Mewtwo as the last over my usual preferred Scarf Dialga last. I had Aura Sphere > Flamethrower cause Darkrai scared me shitless but Flame is so much better just use that lol. Rest of the team is self-explanatory, get up hazards early and win. The game itself was more or less straightforward MU wise, not much to say other than I should have STossed T25 and not getting crit in any major turns.

Week 2 Vs Exiline (L): https://pokepast.es/28db2bced74a8c68

Only week I didn't have Mashing to proofread the team as well as being the only team I prepped alone. Wanted something good vs spikeless Latios offence and sun stall so I looked into teams using CB tar. Had a couple diff variants using a Swift Swimmer over Latios but decided that using a Swimmer with lead Ogre be counterintuitive. Game started off well but completely lost after Dialga started to BU against the Bronzong. Latias > Latios is prolly better after seeing both Hack and Highlord use the same structure later on in the tour.

Week 3 Vs Shrang (W):

Going to be one of the two teams I don't share cause I had nothing to do with it but prepwise I wanted to use Palkia seeing as it did not appear on my scout (cause I hate it) and that Shrang had a 100% loss rate vs it. Peeped Shrang UWTT game vs Seldanna and really liked the team she brought. Nineveh was nice enough to share the team for me to use it. Gamewise, Palkia carried with by critting the Dialga and pressuring his double steel balance. Got also lucky with Groudon not getting burned by Lava Plume so that my RP Don broke through his Don + Skarm + M2.

Week 4 Vs London Beats (W): https://pokepast.es/5151b8b0908760bc

Probably the week where I experimented with different teams the most. Wanted something with offensive Dialga + Blissey but everything I made just lost to physical dragons. Mashing then came up with the genius idea to use a PhysDef TR Bronzong and 4atks Shuca Dialga. That + SubSD Don gave me a lot of ways to beat standard offence. I missplayed this game really badly after I clearly had a easy winpath with TR -> Boom -> sweep with Dialga but yea I choked badly and got bailed by TWave lol. Payback/Iron Head > Gyro on Zong is better as shown in this game

Week 5 vs Inspirited (W): https://pokepast.es/ede1c8b69b1d5ef3

Really wanted to win after I fucked up the endgame last week. Looked at Wreck's scout over and over and saw that he didn't use Rayquaza much at all so decided on using a team with Kingdra. Asked Mashing for what Kingdra team to use and she passed me this which she used in DPP Ubers cup. Originally it had scarf deo but it made no sense on this structure imo so I changed it to Colbur Taunt. No Giratina is risky with lead Deo-S but preferred to use CM Latios as it gave me another way to break Jirachi alongside LO Darkrai. Physdef ogre is here to give me a proper Don check. Gamewise went near perfectly, Colbur Deo into tar, Physdef Ogre for Don and a Latios into Scarf Rachi. The crit on the Giratina sped up the game so much to the point where him having a Ray didnt matter in the end. Really happy with how this game went.

Week 6 vs Hack (W): https://pokepast.es/62f3f42f9fcc2ada

This game was for one of us to go 5-1 so I was hungry to win. I noticed that most of Hack's team's Darkrai counterplay was more or less just a scarf mon and positioning himself well. Originally this team had SubNP Rai > NP Lum but I didn't have anything to deny TSpike well so I opted for the safer route. Rock Slide Deo-A is a shitmon but Ho-oh was the mon that scared me the most going into this game seeing as I used only of defensive SR mons this tour. No Giratina meant that I can opt for 4atks Lead Deo-A which i wanted to try. Memento Latios + Double Dance Don worked out very well in testgames and I thought it be cool into his offences. Had a decent start in-game with his Don being weakened aswell as his scarf lead Ogre being parad. Didn't expect his last three to be Bliss Skarm Tina which neutralized Scarf2 completely. Hoped his Ray was LO Mixed but turned out to be CB. Only way to win was with a crit on Don which i got so yea... robbed another W. Wouldn't recommend this Deo-A set if you are just using this team to win.

Week 7 vs FatFighter2 (ADV) (W):

Our team secured POffs and no one wanted to ADV so I decided to try something new. This was all Mitana's work so I won't share the team. But essentially I wanted something good into stall and I thought Heracross was cool. Thundlax gave a way to break skarm which otherwise 6-0s this team. Not gonna go into much more detail cause I don't know shit about this tier and the objective of this team was set up so Rayquaza could win. Won without too much trouble with ff2 loading shitmon Armaldo and a slow Lugia on a otherwise good looking team.

Felt really good going into POffs with a 6-1 despite me robbing 2 W's but yea...

Semi-Finals vs Highlord (L): https://pokepast.es/07f40b673a027029

Highlord...
The objective was to not lose to Bronzong (impossible), Rain offense (hard) and Eclipse (also hard). Ho-oh worked out for me last time I played him in UWC so Mashing came up with the idea to use Ho-oh IN THE BACK. The twist on this team was not using Giratina (which is risky especially since he uses Forre) and not using spin myself with a 4x SR weak mon. Ho-oh has enough speed for his CM Twave Ogre. Taunt Deo was mandatory on this since its the only way to deny SR on lead. Mail is a fish item but was smart for his tendency to use scarf lead Deo-S. HP Fire Latios for stupid ass broken Bronzong for Double Dance Don. Got played and outdone teamwise most of the game but was happy that I got it down to one STalk roll.

Metagame thoughts:

1) Eclipse: Ultimate noob farming material, every team that can't beat this is a straight up MU fish, enough said. CM2 > Scarf Dialga > Latias as lasts.
2) Mewtwo: This mon is so good, has bulk for dragons like SD ray, speedtier for Latis and Darkrai and a good typing as a CM mon turning it into a very dangerous wincon. Provides so much utility and can run sets outside of CM like Stall2 (Which is meh), Scarf2 (which should be used more imo) and Screens2 (BP is good!)
3) Setup Don: Broken #1, there are a lot of different ways to use setup don from SpDef RP, Sub SD (amazing for zong rain) and Double Dance with various diff EV spreads. This mon can almost always find a way to win vs offence at worst you can force a trade with Bronzong with Double Dance or trade damage on M2 or Ogre with standard RP.
4) Bronzong: Broken #2, If there was anything I took from this tour, its that this mon is stupid. Doesn't matter if you run a team with skarm or rain. Trading effectively vs this thing is surprisingly difficult. SR sets are the most consistent as Zong will find ways to get them up vs dragons which all offence needs but also easier to chip down as it needs a turn to click it. SRless sets should be explored a bit more as it gives you a move slot to play around with like TR (which should be used on SR sets anyways), Hypnosis (good esp if ppl dont see it coming) and probably other god forsaken ways that i'm forgetting.

Despite us losing in Tiebreak, I had a lot of fun this entire tour using different teams as well as learning how DPP and the other ubers tiers work on the side. Unsure if I will play UPL again but hopefully i've proven that i'm not complete shit at this game.

I commend you if you actually read through my cringe writing. Rooting for the Bandits to take it all!

Last edited:

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Top Contributor
this was my first positive upl, which im proud of, even tho i believe i couldve done more. needless to say im very happy.

:toxapex: :mewtwo: :ting-lu: :arceus-ghost: :palkia: :landorus-therian: week2 vs cryingg (w) thanks to edgar for helping me build this
:toxapex: :mewtwo: :ting-lu: :Arceus-ghost: :palkia: :koraidon: v1
:toxapex: :mewtwo: :ting-lu: :arceus-ghost: :palkia-origin: :landorus-therian: v3

:miraidon: :calyrex-ice: :arceus-fairy: :giratina-origin: :ting-lu: :toxapex: week3 vs frito (L)

:zacian-crowned: :miraidon: :meowscarada: :arceus-ghost: :koraidon: :landorus-therian: week5 vs kythr (w) thanks to edgar for building this (its all his work so i wont share the team)

thanks to all the @mukkers for this opportunity to somewhat redeem myself, and special thanks to March Fires and Reje for believing in me once again. i know we had our differences this upl and im sorry. you guys know what im talking about. i liked teaming up with you again, and i sincerely hope i can do it again. i'll be a better version of me by then.

Last edited:

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
i cooked a bit during UPL.

w1 vs aberforth (L) - :koraidon: :arceus-fire: :miraidon: :clodsire: :giratina-origin: :kyogre:
w2 vs pichus (W) - :mewtwo: :clodsire: :arceus-fairy: :giratina-origin: :koraidon: :kyogre:
w3 vs kythr (L) - :arceus-ground: :eternatus: :groudon: :koraidon: :rayquaza: :grimmsnarl:
w4 vs nyx (W) - :enamorus: :koraidon: :arceus: :landorus-therian: :zacian-crowned: :miraidon:
w5 vs entrocefalo (W) - :arceus-ground: :chien-pao: :landorus-therian: :hatterene: :zacian-crowned: :koraidon:
w6 vs terracotta (L) - :kyogre: :koraidon: :giratina-origin: :clodsire: :arceus-fairy: :skeledirge:
semis vs inder (W) - :ting-lu: :koraidon: :toxapex: :flutter-mane: :arceus-ground: :miraidon:

This was fun, hope to do it again and take the crown next year.

Last edited:

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
Told myself i wasn't gonna log on forums anymore but erm stuff happened! Anyways here's the stuff i used, no explanation cause i don't care enough be grateful for the free teams tbh imo ngl

immagine_2023-08-27_004741367.png
1693090095494.png
1693090130752.png
1693090155918.png
1693090176296.png
^ i forgot the zacian resist in this one DO NOT USE IT!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
1693090222672.png

Shit idea possibly but i wasnt able to make it good, posting just so i could maybe inspire someone...
1693090260275.png

Don't click on this if you don't wanna lose braincells:
1693090318693.png

Congrats to the melmetales for winning!

BW - Yeah.... BW is an absolute horror show in terms of what people seem to think are good teams at the moment. Kebabe's 6-1 run consisted of facing anything from teams that blatantly disregarded CM Arceus-Ghost to teams without a normal resist/immunity. Or tspikes+Darkrai. People seem to use Espeon sun nowadays though? But the teams are just sub-optimal versions of 2013 teams? I guess it should be appreciated that people try to make their own teams, though. My top 4 BW shitlist follows:

1. Forretress. When I look at the usage stats, about 20% of teams used had this mon. It is not understandable to me. Forretress is decent, it has a usable, yet limited, role as a lead tspiker. It works well with a bulky arc forme that can "hold-up play" to effectuate the effect of tspikes (not with Darkrai which obviously prevents you from setting key targets to sleep). I see people use it a bulky rapid spinner which is even more limited. It cannot really check anything so you end up with an overall weak team. Using Ferrothorn will often simply improve these teams. Forretress is also one of the easiest mons to tech against.

2. Ekiller rain. It is a debate as old as time. Does Ekiller suck in BW? Of course not, but it seems with the passing of time that nuances have been lost. It was always the case that Ekiller was the most threating mon in BW, but not necessarily the most viable. Especially if you are interested in beating good players. Maybe Ekiller is just easier to use conceptually speaking but to truly gain consistent advantages sun is in most cases your only bet. Sun will synergize to pressure its checks better (even invalidate a few such as Kabutops) and allow for you to have enough momentum vs hazard setters. It even allows Ekiller to run a fire move to overcome some hard counters if your team needs it. A rain team on the other hand, especially without specs Kyogre, will let your opponent have multiple spike layers. Your team can probably use a more useful Arceus! Steel has useful resistances and poses a threat unconcerned about tspikes, Grass sets up on Ferro, Fight provides a direct threat to Dialga/Ferro (aka the biggest annoyances for rain to kill) etc.

3. Deoxys-S. Traditionally this mon gets SR extremely reliably. This is a good niche. However, I cannot really fathom the hype around non-sash spikes Deo-S. These teams are weak (more on this below). There are a multitude of techs people use on this mon. Most seem situational and I would advise to use lead TTar instead if your goal is to anti lead.

4. Lead spiker+sdef Groudon sun. Sorry but these teams absolutely blow. I get it. Back in the day, a common structure was to use a lead spiker like Deo-A and an offensive Groudon (think deo-a/latias/don/darkrai/gene/ghostceus). These teams had a distinct problem in that every time Groudon wanted to SR, it invited in a dragon (latis most commonly, but also mixed ray) and then you were losing. I see that people have finally seen the usefulness of sdef Groudon so now this problem is recitifed. But... that wasn't the only problem of these teams. It is problematic that these teams lack immediate fire power. This compounds a weakness to Ferrocruel rain, which still to this day is the best defensive playstyle in the tier. These teams will find an opportunity to get a tspikes layer up and proceed to win. It is also problematic that these teams lack a true cleaner. Usually, Ekiller is omitted on the teams (if it is used then Darkrai is omitted to fit Giratina-O which means Arceus-Ghost 6-0es) and the team relies on special sweepers (Darkrai+Arceus-Ghost). This doesn't look like a bad plan on paper but when you realize Genesect exists, well... Get pi faced? Finally, if you ever face a sand Excadrill you might as well just forfeit.
good to see you back man... wanted to comment on a few things you said:

1) forre usage rising
definitely agree with you that defensive forre is bad, nothing to say about that. However i do think lead forre is quite good... mental herb tspikes is a great foil to many of the HOs running around at the moment (granted, many are poorly constructed). mental herb or payapa mcoat tenta is probably better as a pure tspiking lead, but on an offensively oriented or sun build, it's telegraphed from a mile away. forre is justifiably better as a tspiker on many sun structures (see: forre / SR darkceus / rp lum don / scarf terrak / mixed giraO / latios that i passed lasen) and the flexibility to choose tspikes or spikes depending on MU is nice as well. on the team above, it lets u use latios over latias given you can spike vs a scarfogre rain turn 1... that's nice. additionally, i've found the tech of voltswitch to be solid on forre builds packing breakers - free entry for a powerful threat like ho-oh, ray, or latios is quite nice and it turns forre into a serviceable pivot vs some key mons like ghostceus. does forre deserve its high usage? well, 20% seems excessive. but i regard this mon much more highly than i have in the past, and consider it in a better position than competing darkrai-weak spin/setters like cloyster at the moment

2) ekiller rain
lol yeah this is just one of those trends I don't understand... it's not good unless you're stacking don + ogre. stop it.

3) deoxys-S
the ONLY non-SR set anyone should be using is scarf DeoS - a mon reserved for opposing DeoS spammers. i think the default should look something like:
Deoxys-Speed @ Red Card / Lum Berry / Focus Sash / Rocky Helmet / Mental Herb (lol i guess)
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 120 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

obviously stuff like max speed for deoS mirrors is viable too - but this gives pretty great MUs across the board, barring the mirror (who plays for DeoS mirror anyway?) item obviously u can choose based on ur team. but yeah - only spikes deoS is pretty bad and defeats the purpose to using a lead which has such great odds to guarantee SR vs the metagame at large

4. Lead spiker+sdef Groudon sun
"lose to tspikes" is certainly popular. I want to add that dual primal + spikes HO is probably the exception to this rule - ofc there's the classic rp DON +choiced ogre, but i find structures that stack twave SpD don /some offensive twave ogre (custap, gem, lum) to be good. of course,there's like a whole two whopping teams in this archetype, but yeah

anyway i actually find BW to be in a good spot as a meta. i just think 50%+ of the teams i saw in upl are just... mediocre.

here's some stuff i was thinking about this year:

alternate SR dialga items
people always use the same 2 items on SR dialga: lefties and LO. lefties is pretty good - rain just can't effectively 1v1 this mon, and on balances i doubt there's a better option. LO is a breaker but it's generally bad and I definitely wouldnt use it for SR purposes. however - i've been looking a some new options on dialga, specifically for offenses, that add a bit more depth to the teamslot you've dedicated to it. primarily - shuca berry, rocky helmet, chople berry, and sitrus berry.

Shuca is neat - many Magic Sun structures aim to chip dialga into range of an offensive groudon using their magic bouncer. the plate/lum groudon then regains momentum and prevents SR by forcing dialga out after the magic bouncer dies... shuca twists this play pattern on its head. dialga can take an HP fighting from espeon, or night shade from xatu, and still comfortably live an EQ from jolly groudon afterwards to secure SR. fun. of course - steeljackal was using ground gem groudon prior to her disappearance, and hack linked a team above with it as well... that's less of a guarantee to come out on top with shuca. oh well. that's the thing with metas - they're constantly evolving.

Chople is a niche option. I like it on palkia / dialga / kyogre rain offenses that generally can be softer to both fightceus and kabutops than other builds. having an emergency check that can phaze fightceus and doubles as a strong check to tops is great utility on these types of builds. additionally, insulation vs darkrai, cm ghosty is alway welcome.

Rocky Helmet is probably my favorite of the bunch so far. I can up with this idea to punish Genesect specifically - taking hazards + additional 17% when clicking uturn is a beating, and can open the door for mons like darkrai, mewtwo, and even cm ghostceus to take control of the game. putting gene in range of +2 ekiller is never a bad feeling either. outside of the gene use case, helm is just great for general chip - knocking 25% off tops by pivoting on LO waterfall is great, likewise for giraO sneak (dtail doesn't punish you as hard either)... it's fun, try it out

Last but certainly not least is Sitrus Berry. One of the things I've never liked about SR dialga is it really really sucks vs certain sets from mons you usually rely on it to cover during building, specifically specs kyogre and orb Palkia. this means you can very rarely rely on dialga as your primary water resist on HO - even if you got spikes down and chipped the specs ogre, your dialga is going to die to 2 hydro pumps. it's a terrible feeling. This is the allure of sitrus - it allows you to tank 2 hydros, 2 boosted spacial rends, a Latias draco meteor, etc etc and still actually check these mons. the extra 18.75% recovery vs leftovers is critical for living some of these attacks. yeah, it's worse in a long game, but hey - if your dialga wasn't on the field for 4 turns, it got more out of sitrus than it would have from lefties. this set ties together a whole host of new HO structures where dialga is the primary water resist, and they've performed amazingly in tests. definitely recommend exploring this item.

Mixed Gira-O is good again
i always saw this set in the analysis as a carryover from BW1, and always thought it sucked when BW was main gen... however these days, i think this might be the best GiraO on offense. draco is strong, hits everything hard with minimal investment, and actually covers offensive SR groudon. i ve always hated that physical giraO struggles so immensely vs faster dtail groudon - that's supposed to be a positive matchup for it! yeah, wisp is nice but lum is the standard that i use on these physical don anyway... whatever. anywho - this set breaks so much harder than dtail sneak eq wisp giraO and i'm in love with it. you still check everything u want to btw. the only real loss is earthquake vs non-ballon exca and the nonexistent heatran... hp fire has the juiciest targets... ferro, genesect... and draco just hurts man. it hits so hard. try this mon out (spread is adjustable - u can make it faster ofc but really all you need to do is outspeed SpD ogre and support 90s)

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 Def / 140 SpA / 56 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Tail

CM Fightceus structures
CM ghostceus usage is way way down, and I think this is arguably the mon that holds CM fightceus back the most, other than the obvious HoOh and Tenta... that said, getting SR vs magic sun is easier than ever, and with most magic suns leaning heavily on ekiller these days, fightceus will have use in these matchups. i ve had a lot of fun pairing this mon with lati lures like offensive ogre, twave SpD don, and pursuiters like ttar and LO darkrai... use this set more.

TTar & Exca
these mons are good again, paired together or apart. as hack mentioned, most deoS leads are not going to live a ttar payback at the moment, and the current trend to drop darkrai on these builds. additionally lead forre usage is up. this puts ttar in a great spot as an anti-lead. with cm ghosty falling off hard, i also enjoy lum and custap ttar a lot more than previous years. twave is also a great option, especially to catch greedy arc formes. and lastly, recover and sub ekiller showing up from time to time gives ttar lowkick some additional utility. sand as a playstyle benefits from the fall-off of rest ogre - it's much easier to guarantee sandstream for exca then 5 years ago. i really liked the ancient dual weather Tape ripped out in bwpl - sashtar + breaker exca + ogre + tops, retro and solid. of course, the swedish 6 sand has been around forever at this point and always performs, as does some variant of ttar / exca / ferro / lati / arc / scarfer (usually terrak or lando-i). sand still does what sand does. scarf mold breaker exca is also an interesting pick as a standalone mon - nice darkrai/bouncer sun you got there, don't mind clicking SR turn 1! (SR is great filler, although I don't recommend it as your sole rocker). having a mon on rain that can threaten opposing dialga is never bad, and scarf exca clicks eq with impunity. only ray, hooh, and the rare skarm/skymin are natural resists in the tier. it resists ekiller and genesect too. unique matchup spread, for sure.

Chople Ekiller
soooo... it reverses some "surefire" ekiller matchups, namely fightceus, terrak, and kabutops (depending on %), while making ekiller more susceptible to status. just another option you can run on it, and one that has performed well for me. just like any ekiller tech, make sure you're covering the poor matchups with the rest of your team. it's ekiller, it's tough to fuck up with this mon...

Bulky Grounds on Rain
rain has always struggled vs dialga, and to a lesser extent, groudon. running fightceus is the most clear-cut way to mitigate this weakness, but this year i ve experimented a bit more with ground types. specifically SpD invested lefties LandoT, and subpass glisc (vs the standard tox sub). subpass glisc in particular fits on much more offensive structures than the typical ferrocruel arc ghost SpD ogre scarfDialga its typically found on, but performs a very similar role in forcing out groudon and abusing slower, fatter structures. LandoT on the other hand, is just an excellent utility check to groudon, but also mons like GiraO, Dialga, and to a lesser extent, special attackers like darkrai and some arceus sets. you check the physicalmons by virtue of intimidate alone, so SpD invest wasnt a big ask. neither mon will become the new standard, but certainly techs i found fun and useful during tests. ofc exca is still good - although I generally lean scarf or occasionally sash lead vs lefties SpD of yesteryear

Scarf Ho-oh
i like this mon a lot. band is good, of course, but leaves a lot to be desired once SR go up. with all the support SR arc floating around, we've seen magic sun concentrate more on sweepers (ekiller + blaze for example) to take advantage of the SR turn by boosting, or go even deeper into hazard prevention with darkrai (Band Thy Turkey spin-offs)... these are certainly fine structures, but I've enjoying tinkering with scarf hooh instead - after all, you get to click a lot more attacks after sr wielding a scarf. not to mention better matchups vs darkrai, cm arc formes. it's just got a lot of defensive utility while still being a challenging mon to swap in against. sun sacred fire hurts, man.

Mewtwo
i think arc-fight has taken over as the top arc-forme in my eyes... yeah, ghosty is still good, but sr support is the best it can do right now... and it doesn't boost. so we're seeing an increase in fightceus and decrease in ghostceus - mewtwo benefits from this trend. LO is better than usual right now - i prefer psy ice aura taunt personally. i've also been testing out a variety of CM sets - fat cm a la DPP (psy aura cm recover @ lefties) has been neat. although certainly annoyed by genesect. gene is easy to wear down with hazard stack + rocky helmet, however...

might post some team/sets later... and comment on oras/dpp. haven't watched any of those games yet.

Last edited:
good to see you back man... wanted to comment on a few things you said:

1) forre usage rising
definitely agree with you that defensive forre is bad, nothing to say about that. However i do think lead forre is quite good... mental herb tspikes is a great foil to many of the HOs running around at the moment (granted, many are poorly constructed). mental herb or payapa mcoat tenta is probably better as a pure tspiking lead, but on an offensively oriented or sun build, it's telegraphed from a mile away. forre is justifiably better as a tspiker on many sun structures (see: forre / SR darkceus / rp lum don / scarf terrak / mixed giraO / latios that i passed lasen) and the flexibility to choose tspikes or spikes depending on MU is nice as well. on the team above, it lets u use latios over latias given you can spike vs a scarfogre rain turn 1... that's nice. additionally, i've found the tech of voltswitch to be solid on forre builds packing breakers - free entry for a powerful threat like ho-oh, ray, or latios is quite nice and it turns forre into a serviceable pivot vs some key mons like ghostceus. does forre deserve its high usage? well, 20% seems excessive. but i regard this mon much more highly than i have in the past, and consider it in a better position than competing darkrai-weak spin/setters like cloyster at the moment

2) ekiller rain
lol yeah this is just one of those trends I don't understand... it's not good unless you're stacking don + ogre. stop it.

3) deoxys-S
the ONLY non-SR set anyone should be using is scarf DeoS - a mon reserved for opposing DeoS spammers. i think the default should look something like:
Deoxys-Speed @ Red Card / Lum Berry / Focus Sash / Rocky Helmet / Mental Herb (lol i guess)
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 120 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

obviously stuff like max speed for deoS mirrors is viable too - but this gives pretty great MUs across the board, barring the mirror (who plays for DeoS mirror anyway?) item obviously u can choose based on ur team. but yeah - only spikes deoS is pretty bad and defeats the purpose to using a lead which has such great odds to guarantee SR vs the metagame at large

4. Lead spiker+sdef Groudon sun
"lose to tspikes" is certainly popular. I want to add that dual primal + spikes HO is probably the exception to this rule - ofc there's the classic rp DON +choiced ogre, but i find structures that stack twave SpD don /some offensive twave ogre (custap, gem, lum) to be good. of course,there's like a whole two whopping teams in this archetype, but yeah

anyway i actually find BW to be in a good spot as a meta. i just think 50%+ of the teams i saw in upl are just... mediocre.

here's some stuff i was thinking about this year:

alternate SR dialga items
people always use the same 2 items on SR dialga: lefties and LO. lefties is pretty good - rain just can't effectively 1v1 this mon, and on balances i doubt there's a better option. LO is a breaker but it's generally bad and I definitely wouldnt use it for SR purposes. however - i've been looking a some new options on dialga, specifically for offenses, that add a bit more depth to the teamslot you've dedicated to it. primarily - shuca berry, rocky helmet, chople berry, and sitrus berry.

Shuca is neat - many Magic Sun structures aim to chip dialga into range of an offensive groudon using their magic bouncer. the plate/lum groudon then regains momentum and prevents SR by forcing dialga out after the magic bouncer dies... shuca twists this play pattern on its head. dialga can take an HP fighting from espeon, or night shade from xatu, and still comfortably live an EQ from jolly groudon afterwards to secure SR. fun. of course - steeljackal was using ground gem groudon prior to her disappearance, and hack linked a team above with it as well... that's less of a guarantee to come out on top with shuca. oh well. that's the thing with metas - they're constantly evolving.

Chople is a niche option. I like it on palkia / dialga / kyogre rain offenses that generally can be softer to both fightceus and kabutops than other builds. having an emergency check that can phaze fightceus and doubles as a strong check to tops is great utility on these types of builds. additionally, insulation vs darkrai, cm ghosty is alway welcome.

Rocky Helmet is probably my favorite of the bunch so far. I can up with this idea to punish Genesect specifically - taking hazards + additional 17% when clicking uturn is a beating, and can open the door for mons like darkrai, mewtwo, and even cm ghostceus to take control of the game. putting gene in range of +2 ekiller is never a bad feeling either. outside of the gene use case, helm is just great for general chip - knocking 25% off tops by pivoting on LO waterfall is great, likewise for giraO sneak (dtail doesn't punish you as hard either)... it's fun, try it out

Last but certainly not least is Sitrus Berry. One of the things I've never liked about SR dialga is it really really sucks vs certain sets from mons you usually rely on it to cover during building, specifically specs kyogre and orb Palkia. this means you can very rarely rely on dialga as your primary water resist on HO - even if you got spikes down and chipped the specs ogre, your dialga is going to die to 2 hydro pumps. it's a terrible feeling. This is the allure of sitrus - it allows you to tank 2 hydros, 2 boosted spacial rends, a Latias draco meteor, etc etc and still actually check these mons. the extra 18.75% recovery vs leftovers is critical for living some of these attacks. yeah, it's worse in a long game, but hey - if your dialga wasn't on the field for 4 turns, it got more out of sitrus than it would have from lefties. this set ties together a whole host of new HO structures where dialga is the primary water resist, and they've performed amazingly in tests. definitely recommend exploring this item.

Mixed Gira-O is good again
i always saw this set in the analysis as a carryover from BW1, and always thought it sucked when BW was main gen... however these days, i think this might be the best GiraO on offense. draco is strong, hits everything hard with minimal investment, and actually covers offensive SR groudon. i ve always hated that physical giraO struggles so immensely vs faster dtail groudon - that's supposed to be a positive matchup for it! yeah, wisp is nice but lum is the standard that i use on these physical don anyway... whatever. anywho - this set breaks so much harder than dtail sneak eq wisp giraO and i'm in love with it. you still check everything u want to btw. the only real loss is earthquake vs non-ballon exca and the nonexistent heatran... hp fire has the juiciest targets... ferro, genesect... and draco just hurts man. it hits so hard. try this mon out (spread is adjustable - u can make it faster ofc but really all you need to do is outspeed SpD ogre and support 90s)

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 60 Atk / 252 Def / 140 SpA / 56 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Tail

CM Fightceus structures
CM ghostceus usage is way way down, and I think this is arguably the mon that holds CM fightceus back the most, other than the obvious HoOh and Tenta... that said, getting SR vs magic sun is easier than ever, and with most magic suns leaning heavily on ekiller these days, fightceus will have use in these matchups. i ve had a lot of fun pairing this mon with lati lures like offensive ogre, twave SpD don, and pursuiters like ttar and LO darkrai... use this set more.

TTar & Exca
these mons are good again, paired together or apart. as hack mentioned, most deoS leads are not going to live a ttar payback at the moment, and the current trend to drop darkrai on these builds. additionally lead forre usage is up. this puts ttar in a great spot as an anti-lead. with cm ghosty falling off hard, i also enjoy lum and custap ttar a lot more than previous years. twave is also a great option, especially to catch greedy arc formes. and lastly, recover and sub ekiller showing up from time to time gives ttar lowkick some additional utility. sand as a playstyle benefits from the fall-off of rest ogre - it's much easier to guarantee sandstream for exca then 5 years ago. i really liked the ancient dual weather Tape ripped out in bwpl - sashtar + breaker exca + ogre + tops, retro and solid. of course, the swedish 6 sand has been around forever at this point and always performs, as does some variant of ttar / exca / ferro / lati / arc / scarfer (usually terrak or lando-i). sand still does what sand does. scarf mold breaker exca is also an interesting pick as a standalone mon - nice darkrai/bouncer sun you got there, don't mind clicking SR turn 1! (SR is great filler, although I don't recommend it as your sole rocker). having a mon on rain that can threaten opposing dialga is never bad, and scarf exca clicks eq with impunity. only ray, hooh, and the rare skarm/skymin are natural resists in the tier. it resists ekiller and genesect too. unique matchup spread, for sure.

Chople Ekiller
soooo... it reverses some "surefire" ekiller matchups, namely fightceus, terrak, and kabutops (depending on %), while making ekiller more susceptible to status. just another option you can run on it, and one that has performed well for me. just like any ekiller tech, make sure you're covering the poor matchups with the rest of your team. it's ekiller, it's tough to fuck up with this mon...

Bulky Grounds on Rain
rain has always struggled vs dialga, and to a lesser extent, groudon. running fightceus is the most clear-cut way to mitigate this weakness, but this year i ve experimented a bit more with ground types. specifically SpD invested lefties LandoT, and subpass glisc (vs the standard tox sub). subpass glisc in particular fits on much more offensive structures than the typical ferrocruel arc ghost SpD ogre scarfDialga its typically found on, but performs a very similar role in forcing out groudon and abusing slower, fatter structures. LandoT on the other hand, is just an excellent utility check to groudon, but also mons like GiraO, Dialga, and to a lesser extent, special attackers like darkrai and some arceus sets. you check the physicalmons by virtue of intimidate alone, so SpD invest wasnt a big ask. neither mon will become the new standard, but certainly techs i found fun and useful during tests. ofc exca is still good - although I generally lean scarf or occasionally sash lead vs lefties SpD of yesteryear

Scarf Ho-oh
i like this mon a lot. band is good, of course, but leaves a lot to be desired once SR go up. with all the support SR arc floating around, we've seen magic sun concentrate more on sweepers (ekiller + blaze for example) to take advantage of the SR turn by boosting, or go even deeper into hazard prevention with darkrai (Band Thy Turkey spin-offs)... these are certainly fine structures, but I've enjoying tinkering with scarf hooh instead - after all, you get to click a lot more attacks after sr wielding a scarf. not to mention better matchups vs darkrai, cm arc formes. it's just got a lot of defensive utility while still being a challenging mon to swap in against. sun sacred fire hurts, man.

Mewtwo
i think arc-fight has taken over as the top arc-forme in my eyes... yeah, ghosty is still good, but sr support is the best it can do right now... and it doesn't boost. so we're seeing an increase in fightceus and decrease in ghostceus - mewtwo benefits from this trend. LO is better than usual right now - i prefer psy ice aura taunt personally. i've also been testing out a variety of CM sets - fat cm a la DPP (psy aura cm recover @ lefties) has been neat. although certainly annoyed by genesect. gene is easy to wear down with hazard stack + rocky helmet, however...

might post some team/sets later... and comment on oras/dpp. haven't watched any of those games yet.
Great to see you too old man.

Can understand the forry thoughts but the reality is that mental herb only works because spam of poorly constructed lead spikes teams ie those with sdef don that lose to ts.

Not sure if fightceus is the best arc but certainly top 3 anyway. Hooh seems to popular to justify cm (I think recover twave hooh is very good to counteract sr ghost/dark).

Agree on mix gira. Used it with the darkrai/hooh/don/ekiller/espeon team around last time I played. I have seen some people dtail in gira mirrors. Absolutely horrid and draco will reliably annihilate such players.

Ekiller can run many items and chople certainly works well. Herb force or normal gem or eve LO brick I kinda like. As long as you don't runt recover more than 5% of the games you can do anything with it.

Cool dialga ideas but I sorta feel lefties will always have the niche of beating bad rains since these teams lack tools to hurt it. Dialga is honestly weirdly mediocre in bw.

Oh yeah Palkia is great I forgot to mention. Specs is stronger than Latios and it is not as weak to some of most common offensive threats in the game (sect/rai/ghostceus) meaning you can play much more aggro with it. Palkia has fallen off for years but I don't think this is fully justified.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)