Updating my RBY guide

What format would you prefer for a new RBY guide?

• Video

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Text

Votes: 65 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm gonna write an updated version of my RBY guide. I'd like to go much more in depth, and talk about a few real world lessons you can get from pokemon. Cover things like prediction theory and stuff like that. My last guide was basically "this is how I think other people play" and I want to make it much more like "this is how I think other people should play".

I've mentioned this to a few people, and someone mentioned I could do it as videos. I kinda like the idea of being able to use battle excerpts to illustrate things easily. And I have seen a few of BKC's videos and I kinda like them. I dunno if I woulda bothered to read Adv analyses with that much depth, but having a video makes it pretty easy.

On the other hand I have no idea how to make videos so that require some learning..

But the point here is what do you guys want, hence the poll.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For myself its infinitely easier to digest instructive context delivered through text than through video. The ability to have quick textual references when making connections is much more easily retained than someone speaking at me. It's also much easier to dedicate time to reading a few pages of text than it is to watching a 15-20+ minute video.

What I think might be your sweet spot is merging the two. Using text as the medium to put down your thoughts and instructions and then adding 1-2 minute video inserts where necessary to illustrate your points with the battle excerpts.

Heika

I may very well be the worst player on this site
is a Pre-Contributor
I believe that indeed video makes things more accessible to people that wouldn't have been interested to the first place, though I firmly agree with what Texas said, thus I believe text is a better choice if the public you are targetting is a public that already play and like RBY and want to improve at it.

Text. Something feels very appropriate about an old gen guide being its own thread or just one long post in general. And if someone wants to look up a certain part in particular, it's way easier to CTRL+F than jump around a video progress bar. You also wouldn't have to think about sound quality and editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)