Pending Update the PC sprites for Gen 8 Pokemon

With Scarlet and Violet seemingly putting the nail in the coffin for pixel art PC sprites, instead opting to use artwork, I assume the people at Smogon are already working to implement custom sprites for the newer Pokemon.

However I have noticed that despite the size and detail of sprites increasing as of the transition towards the Switch console, Showdown still utilizes the sprites from Gen 6 with Gen 8 Pokemon receiving custom scaled-down sprites to accommodate to this difference.
As we go further with each newer generation likely never returning to using pixel art, I find it limiting to utilize the smaller dimensions of the Gen 6 sprites for all future Pokemon if this the route we will have to take going forward.

I propose updating Pokemon to their Sword and Shield sprites and utilize those size dimensions for newer Pokemon as they are introduced to allow for greater freedom in depicting them in sprite form.

*Edit: Between the time this was posted and now, I see they have already implemented custom sprites to all the new Pokemon. However my sentiments remain the same.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)