Unpopular opinions

FPS absolutely matters, if anything "graphics" are overrated.

If a game has good models and all that, but lacks good framerate, it instantly looks like trash to me. On the other hand, I don't really mind weaker graphics if the game is as smooth as my brain because it runs at 60fps.
FPS being "bad" comes into play if the game can't consistently run at the frame rate it was designed to run at, it's not so much a matter of actual value. If a game was designed to run at 20 FPS and it does so during normal gameplay, it's probably going to look fine. Same with 30, and naturally with 60 and up. It's when said game has consistent problems keeping that frame rate during normal gameplay that it becomes an issue.

Granted, I'm not a PC gamer (heck, I don't own and have never played a PS5/any modern XBox), so that should tell you the kind of games I play and how much I value ridiculous FPS rates (I think it's a waste of resources to go much above 60 in most cases, to be clear), but it definitely matters much more to function at the level a game was designed to run at than to push for an arbitrarily higher frame rate.

I'm not sure what the standard for modern CGI movies/cartoons is nowadays, but the old traditional animation standard was 24 FPS. If you try and tell me that "classic" animation looks bad now because it had a "poor" FPS I'm liable to disregard your opinion for the foreseeable future.

FPS being "bad" comes into play if the game can't consistently run at the frame rate it was designed to run at, it's not so much a matter of actual value. If a game was designed to run at 20 FPS and it does so during normal gameplay, it's probably going to look fine. Same with 30, and naturally with 60 and up. It's when said game has consistent problems keeping that frame rate during normal gameplay that it becomes an issue.

Granted, I'm not a PC gamer (heck, I don't own and have never played a PS5/any modern XBox), so that should tell you the kind of games I play and how much I value ridiculous FPS rates (I think it's a waste of resources to go much above 60 in most cases, to be clear), but it definitely matters much more to function at the level a game was designed to run at than to push for an arbitrarily higher frame rate.

I'm not sure what the standard for modern CGI movies/cartoons is nowadays, but the old traditional animation standard was 24 FPS. If you try and tell me that "classic" animation looks bad now because it had a "poor" FPS I'm liable to disregard your opinion for the foreseeable future.
I don't fully agree with this because there are factual differences in how a game feels, and plays by framerate. While not every game needs a higher framerate, a lot of genres vastly benefit from a higher framerate. Not just visually, but in actual game feel. The more "active" a game is and intensive with inputs, the more that higher framerate counts. When you press the button, instead of having to go between frame 1 and 2, it can hit 1, 2, 3 or 4, meaning that it's more likely for your input to be registered faster. With more images in specific gaps of time, it's much more likely that you will see something the fastest you possibly can, and thus can react faster as well.

Hell, a lot of it isn't even about visual quality. In competitive games nowadays, people turn down the graphics settings specifically to get a higher framerate, and buy small high refresh-rate monitors to keep going.

It's also not like every game follows this to a tee, for the record, too. Sometimes games prioritize the wrong side of graphical fidelity versus framerate, at least in my opinion. You will not catch me playing a 2D platform that is 30FPS, any time I've tried one it feels really wrong imo

Now in the context of turn-based JRPGS? Oh yeah, 30fps is 1000% fine don't get me wrong. I'm mostly explaining this because I feel like framerate is often confused as just being a visual fidelity problem, when it's also game feel, and matters to competitive play. I also agree that lower framerates do not necessarily look worse if the game is made around it. I am not a fan of "oh make 60fps animation", that's silly

I don't fully agree with this because there are factual differences in how a game feels, and plays by framerate. While not every game needs a higher framerate, a lot of genres vastly benefit from a higher framerate. Not just visually, but in actual game feel. The more "active" a game is and intensive with inputs, the more that higher framerate counts. When you press the button, instead of having to go between frame 1 and 2, it can hit 1, 2, 3 or 4, meaning that it's more likely for your input to be registered faster.
FPS isn't necessarily coupled to input polling rate (nor is it necessarily coupled with how often the game actually checks for interactions between actors). This is true with older games and I don't see why it would change.

With more images in specific gaps of time, it's much more likely that you will see something the fastest you possibly can, and thus can react faster as well.
That said, I can definitely see a point to wanting higher FPS (again, to a reasonable limit) for action games, particularly ones that are PvP. But, with that in mind, I think players having a potential advantage in genres like that just because they have the system/setup to run a game at a higher FPS than someone else might is really bad game... well, not design, but I can't think of a better word. But I hope you get what I mean. I know that a good chunk of the public gaming space wants higher FPS on their games, so the flexibility is done to appeal to them while also allowing for people who don't have a better setup to play their games. It just feels like a really awkward sort of pay-to-win that doesn't even directly go to the pockets of the game devs. If it's a single-player game, I don't see much harm in it, though.

Hell, a lot of it isn't even about visual quality. In competitive games nowadays, people turn down the graphics settings specifically to get a higher framerate, and buy small high refresh-rate monitors to keep going.
I understand the logic behind this but, forgive me, I'm actually not sure what sorts of games can (variably?) run super high FPS (going to say... 120 FPS as a baseline I guess?) as a crotchety old console (Nintendo) gamer. Shooters, fairly sure, and various multiplayer survival games probably. Does it also extend to MOBAs? I'd actually like some information here :wo:

It's also not like every game follows this to a tee, for the record, too. Sometimes games prioritize the wrong side of graphical fidelity versus framerate, at least in my opinion. You will not catch me playing a 2D platform that is 30FPS, any time I've tried one it feels really wrong imo

Now in the context of turn-based JRPGS? Oh yeah, 30fps is 1000% fine don't get me wrong. I'm mostly explaining this because I feel like framerate is often confused as just being a visual fidelity problem, when it's also game feel, and matters to competitive play. I also agree that lower framerates do not necessarily look worse if the game is made around it. I am not a fan of "oh make 60fps animation", that's silly
For sure, try to optimize your game for your genre and audience. It's not as though one frame rate is perfect for all games, not trying to insinuate that. But I do think there's a limit to increasing frame rate while assuming it also increases game feel/responsiveness, even for action games.

That makes sense. It's one of those things that once you have, you can't go back.

Maybe you can simulate the experience by watching a vid of BotW running at 60FPS and then at 30 on Youtube.
Interestingly I am watching a vod of someone playing BotW Second Wind at 72 FPS right now (not as a result of this conversation, it's something I was doing anyway). Hard for me to say if I'm actually seeing it at 60 FPS considering it's from a Twitch vod that is now uploaded on Youtube, but the prerendered cutscenes that play at 30 FPS do look a little choppier (not bad, but it's slightly less smooth).

The same streamer is mostly known for playing OoT, a game that runs as 20 FPS.

Interestingly I am watching a vod of someone playing BotW Second Wind at 72 FPS right now (not as a result of this conversation, it's something I was doing anyway). Hard for me to say if I'm actually seeing it at 60 FPS considering it's from a Twitch vod that is now uploaded on Youtube, but the prerendered cutscenes that play at 30 FPS do look a little choppier (not bad, but it's slightly less smooth).

The same streamer is mostly known for playing OoT, a game that runs as 20 FPS.
(I know that's a romhack so it'd likely be emulated anyways but this made me think of this) It's actually an interesting quirk that yeah, basically every hardcore Nintendo streamer nowadays is emulating the games. If it's compatible, at least, some games still don't run well enough for that.

It's just better for image quality I suppose, but I think it's interesting when watching False Swipe Gaming even to see all the emulation buffs they put to the footage.

(what direct footage with no resolution bump on citra looks like, also accurate to how it'd look with direct hardware- I've recorded from a 3DS before):

Screenshot (108).png

False Swipe Gaming:

Screenshot (106).png

Honestly? Just goes to show that Pokemon Stars really made sense, and it's kinda depressing we didn't get it in my opinion.

(I know that's a romhack so it'd likely be emulated anyways but this made me think of this) It's actually an interesting quirk that yeah, basically every hardcore Nintendo streamer nowadays is emulating the games. If it's compatible, at least, some games still don't run well enough for that.
You can run mods on Switch.

The bigger deal is how much easier it is to handle any kind of video business on PC.
You'd probably need some kind of capture card to record or stream Switch games, and you'd still need a powerful PC to do the bulk of the editing anyway.

It's just smart to streamline things as much as possible.

You can run mods on Switch.
I know. I have a modded Switch.

It's just extremely inconvenient. Not just because recording, but because a lot of mods can be shaky and crashes on it are more inconvenient. And if you're making modded content anyways, ya might as well go full in on visual enhancements, which a lot of Switch games struggle to run with (I know 60FPS mods exist for some of them, but they can have issues)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)