Unpopular Opinions: Scarlet & Violet Edition

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oooh im dumb as hell. id edit it but its funnier to let it up

pokemon fans have this issue of constantly going grrr grrr why is there no mean rivals anymore, why is everyone so nice, but as soon as we get protags that have a bit of nuance theyre all bad people or something. with carmine its not as prevalent because she made a quick 180 but even then, having to see ppl say shes xenophobic or abusive to kieran (????????) over the most basic teenager characterization made me realize pokemon fans only want very shallow mean rivals and evil teams. which is kinda lame
Yeah its silly I mean Blue/Silver/Gladion are some of the most popular (if not most popular - for me they are probs my top 3) rivals in the series. All 3 are generally dicks though Gladion gets some heavy backstory and character growth - Silver does too in the remakes. But yeah so mean rivals = good but then people complain - so stupid.

I’m hoping Kieran is just a mean mean person in all of Part 2 (we already have his backstory ofc but I kinda hope he just treats us like trash)

Getting rid of Scald was the greatest (competitive) choice that Scarlet and Violet made, and I'm honestly still really disappointed that they chose to bring it back.

It is true that they limited Scald's distribution pretty drastically, and I like this approach with Toxic - it's a powerful defensive tool, but it's available to a few non-Poison types that have reasonable associations with poison. It's a much better approach than simply giving Toxic to literally everything! I will say, it is certainly an improvement over pre-Gen 9, where practically every single Water type could learn it. This is a concession I'll readily make - the state of Scald and its distribution is worlds better than it used to be.

For starters, I just think Scald is fundamentally an unbalanced move. A Water type move that can burn is just very difficult to deal with, because Water covers the one type that can safely switch into a burn move! Just from a flavor standpoint, I also dislike the idea of Water types being just as, if not more consistent, than Fire types at burning things. We also got Chilling Water just this gen, a much more balanced move that fulfilled a similar function to Scald without being as overtuned - lower BP and a weaker effect, but also a much more consistent one. I don't know if Chilling Water ever had widespread usage in any format, but I think it's still a much more reasonable power level than Scald, which was everywhere. Why introduce this move to begin with if you're just going to bring its superior version back with DLC? Matcha Gotcha is an even stronger move with the healing, but A. it's a signature move, meaning its distribution is nil and B. it's a Grass move, so you can switch in a Fire type with no concern.

And among the 'mons that they chose to give the move, they still gave it to annoying bulky Waters! Nothing as bad as Toxapex, but even if Slowbro/king learn Flamethrower, I really don't think they should be able to click such a defensively powerful move. Alomomola also got enough of a buff with Flip Turn, if you ask me. If they had to keep Scald around, I genuinely do think it should be limited to Simipour and Volcanion only, both of whom naturally learn it and have the flavor to justify it. It'd also be fair game for any Fire/Water types to learn it, of course. I still believe in the glorious return of Bomushika!)

Friend Guard Evolite Clefairy is terrible for raids.

Not because of stats or strategy, but because unenlightened internet randos will assume you're a troll and abandon the raid.
Yeah, I like using that set, its very good
Yeah its silly I mean Blue/Silver/Gladion are some of the most popular (if not most popular - for me they are probs my top 3) rivals in the series. All 3 are generally dicks though Gladion gets some heavy backstory and character growth - Silver does too in the remakes. But yeah so mean rivals = good but then people complain - so stupid.

I’m hoping Kieran is just a mean mean person in all of Part 2 (we already have his backstory ofc but I kinda hope he just treats us like trash)
I disagree, I don’t like rivals who I want to commit unspecified acts of violence against because of how there head is stuck up their rear, ya get me? Bust I respect your opinion

I would agree SV is better than PLA for all those reasons.

My unpopular opinion is that the DLC isn't really worthwhile and it's only redeeming feature is to give you a few more pokemon you wouldn't get otherwise.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
My unpopular opinion is that the DLC isn't really worthwhile and it's only redeeming feature is to give you a few more pokemon you wouldn't get otherwise.
I know my opinion on the SV DLC isn't worth as much when I don't have it, but no Battle Facility makes it much worse than the SwSh DLC. Restricted Sparring is really fun and no Battle Facility is why I didn't get the SV DLC.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
No increased Shiny Odds on the baby event is absolute bullshit *fume*
As a Pichu fan who is not only a Pichu fan but would also appreciate a reason to hop on my Violet save again, I'll have to agree with this

Let's ignore the fact that unfortunately Pichu's Shiny just isn't that different from the original in these games anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)