Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish / Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

I discovered Scraggy by drafting it in PUCL, and it didn't disappoint, instead it actually surprised me on how efficient it was in battle. I won't talk about the Dragon Dance set, because I think it is outclassed by other set up sweepers in the tier, but I want to introduce you to a more tanky set and focused on utility, which I found success in playing. Anyway, before going into the set, I want to point out that Scraggy isn't incredible or anything, and can actually be not great in most cases, but I thought it would've been still ok posting this here as no one mentioned Scraggy yet. Scraggy actually doesn't carry horrible defensive stats, and with Eviolite + Intimidate it can be decent at tanking hits especially from physical attackers(iirc -1 Rampardos with Superpower deals like 55%, which is not bad for Scraggy considering Rampardos has an high as hell attack), while its typing can come in hand against Psychic-types such as Kadabra and Grumpig, and basically this is the only reason for why you would need to run Careful, otherwise I would always run Impish. Knock Off provides large utility and hits most of the metagame, while Drain Punch still hits decently and works as the only recovery tool, however it can recover a large portion of the HP if hitting something frail or weak to Fighting-moves. Ice Punch is there for coverage purposes, also tbh Fake Out is replaceable with something else that provides even more coverage but I've been comfortable running that so yeah. You could run an Adamant nature if you want to go on a more offensive route, but I think there are better offensive thanks than Scraggy atm, namely things such as Machoke, so it will be only worth running with a defensive nature most of the time. Also don't bother investing EVs in Speed unless extremely needed, its base Speed will bee terrible anyway and the EVs in HP are fundamental to keep tanking.
I agree that this set is more suited for the current meta and is less outclassed by things like Fraxure and Vigoroth then DD and BU sets are, respectively. Nice post Raiza. "Fake Out was a roll to kill ramp." lol

Posts were deleted since they weren't following the rules and the stuff that has been posted was quite honestly impossible to ever justify outside of joke teams (which I am OK with I have used some of those!!!!).

If you are mad since you put a lot of effort in your post then I suggest you to spend your time better i don't know make some good posts in Viability Rankings, rate some teams, etc.

Thanks because i had a few nice laughs :)
Have a nice day

I want to Show you Guys one of my favourit mons i tested Recently with some good success. This mon is croconaw. Croconaw is a really underrated mon which can be a really good wallbreaker. The Most People testen it are using dragon dance. The problem with dd is that IT is to slow at +1. But that isnt the niche it has in pu. The niche is being a swords dance wallbreaker. After a sd boost it can be really threatening. People might say that it is too slow to wallbreak. But that isnt correct cause it has priority in aqua Jet. That combined with coverage in ice punch makes it that threatening. A nice ability helps very much too. I think it faces heavily competition from floatzel but it is still a viable wallbreaker.

Croconaw @ live ob
Ability: Sheer force
Evs: 252 Atk/252 spe/4 def
Adamant nature
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Ice punch
-Swords dance

croconaw was brought up before and just like then there's really no reason to ever use it over huntail or kingler. yes it's stronger than those two after a boost but croconaw is way too slow and too frail to set up on anything, plus the set you gave can't touch water types.

This is a set for Seadra I've been trying. I have made it all up, here is what I came up with:

Seadra
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Poison Point
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
Moves:
-Scald
-Icy Wind/ Ice Beam
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This set is meant to serve as a physically defensive wall. Icy Wind has less power than Ice Beam, but lowers speed, which can be helpful in certain situations. Scald serves as its main STAB move and can get burns on incoming threats, which can be helpful if said threat is a physical attacker. Rest is its only form of recovery, and Sleep Talk serves as to not make Seadra a sitting duck while it's asleep. Do note that even with an Eviolite, its Special Defense is not good, so it can be made into a specially defensive set to balance this. Without Special Defense investment, it will most likely be OHKOed by most special attacking Pokemon using a super effective move, so you need to be wary of that. I like to run it alongside a specially defense Meganium, as Meganium can mitigate Seadra's weaknesses and take almost any Electric-type move thrown at it.

What do you think?

Why would you use it over Prinplup? Prinplup has a slightly inferior physical defense but much better spdef and access to defog as well

The team I'm running isn't overly affected by entry hazards apart from Sticky Web, which I don't see very often. I have a mon to absorb Toxic Spikes and no Pokemon of mine have a weakness to rocks. Not to mention I don't see Spikes played very often either. So I really don't have too much need for a Defogger imo.

Not only this, but I prefer bulky mons with some form of recovery, and Prinplup can't really fit that in on a standard set, due to Rest being its only recovery option. In order to run that, you would have to either give up Defog, Stealth Rock, or two of the other moves in order to fit a RestTalking set into it.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The team I'm running isn't overly affected by entry hazards apart from Sticky Web, which I don't see very often. I have a mon to absorb Toxic Spikes and no Pokemon of mine have a weakness to rocks. Not to mention I don't see Spikes played very often either. So I really don't have too much need for a Defogger imo.

Not only this, but I prefer bulky mons with some form of recovery, and Prinplup can't really fit that in on a standard set, due to Rest being its only recovery option. In order to run that, you would have to either give up Defog, Stealth Rock, or two of the other moves in order to fit a RestTalking set into it.
Yes, but seadra has the same issue with rest talk and prinplup has much better special bulk. Aside from that neither is great at running rest talk, it's true that most of our bulky waters lack recovery but I know Dundies has been playing with a bulky swanna in a similar vein to Pelipper and some people have messed around with Rest/Talk Seaking. There's also always Chinchou or Slowpoke which have the unique qualities of being the best rotom-f counter in the tier and volt switch pivoting, or countering Monferno and Floatzel while actually getting slack off+regenerator respectively. Seadra just doesn't really have any way to differentiate itself, I can't reasonably see why I'd want to use it on a team when its biggest niche is poison point.

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Substitute

OR

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

#1st set: With stall teams rising in use I searched for mons that could break threw them, with Pancham's coverage covering mostly all mons used in those type of teams I think it can be put to the test. Gunk Shot to hit Clefairy/Fairies, Knock off for ghost types, Drain for Rock/Steel/Ice types like Golem/Cryogonal, and Substitute for dodging status moves like Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave.

#2 set: Swords Dance could also be a option with Scrappy instead of using Knock off to hit Ghost-type mons.

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Substitute

OR

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

#1st set: With stall teams rising in use I searched for mons that could break threw them, with Pancham's coverage covering mostly all mons used in those type of teams I think it can be put to the test. Gunk Shot to hit Clefairy/Fairies, Knock off for ghost types, Drain for Rock/Steel/Ice types like Golem/Cryogonal, and Substitute for dodging status moves like Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave.

#2 set: Swords Dance could also be a option with Scrappy instead of using Knock off to hit Ghost-type mons.
Could you elaborate on why you would want to use this over the other fighting types? As far as it goes it just looks like a slightly worse Machoke or Scraggy with what it does especially in terms of beating stall.

Edit @ below - Neither does Pancham which is unable to beat Gourgeist-XL at all and as far as fairys go its at best a shaky clefairy lure since Mr. Mime never switches into any fighting type.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate on why you would want to use this over the other fighting types? As far as it goes it just looks like a slightly worse Machoke or Scraggy with what it does especially in terms of beating stall.
Can Machoke beat Faries? Can it beat Gourgeist? I don't think so.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah it can beat Clefairy with Heavy Slam, also it can beat Gourgeist with Toxic or Sub-Bulk Up (which is trash but outclasses Pancham at its own "niche")

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Who runs heavy slam?
nobody, but you can if you want to beat fairies. Your logic doesn't really make sense here. If you want a Machoke that will beat fairies, just customize Machoke with Heavy Slam rather than using an entirely different mon who has awful stats....

EDIT: and anyway Clefairy isn't really relevant enough to have an entire moveslot dedicated to beating it.

Reactions: g

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Substitute

OR

Pancham (M) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

It seems unfair to not mention parting shot here.

Pancham damage output-
+2 252+ Atk Pancham Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 124-147 (33.1 - 39.3%) -- 14.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Pancham Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 132-156 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 82.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gourgeist-XL damage output-
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Seed Bomb vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Pancham: 85-102 (26.2 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+2 0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 196 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Pancham: 82-97 (25.3 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

While Machoke certainly does not beat Gourgeist-XL with its best sets, its BulkUp or Toxic options at least have the capability to do so (unorthodox and can be considered a gimmick sure but it has an actual result in beating its best counter) the two sets you posted do not due to Gourgeist-XL always being capable of breaking Panchams Substitutes as well as being able to outspeed and recover or wisp it.

As for Fairies yes Machoke can actually beat them the already mentioned Heavy Slam is a valid option for Machoke's 4th slot if Clefairy is troubling to your team while Mr. Mime prefers to never switch into a fighting type due to the value of its item+paper thin physical bulk however a worthy mention is that Machoke is able to take a Psychic/D-Gleam much better then Pancham.

Last edited:
Corphish be corphishin' for kills

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off/Taunt

I like this mon. Really. At +2 it can wreck defensive teams with some support, and it can even put in work against offensive teams thanks to Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet and its handy resistances to moves that common offensive mons carry, such as Floatzel's waterfall. Here are some calc to show its sheer power after a boost:

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 202-238 (51.3 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Floatzel: 277-326 (89 - 104.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Roselia: 172-203 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Crabhammer vs. 248 HP / 164+ Def Altaria: 145-171 (41 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Corphish Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zebstrika: 202-238 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

However, Corphish needs support to beat certain mons especially when running taunt, as water absorb mons completely wall this set. Corphish is also completely shut down by Gourgeist-XL, which is an extremely prominent threat in this meta. It also realies on hazards for OHKOs on some mons, which could result in the difference between a win and a loss. Its speed is also horrid, making it rely on aqua jet much of the time versus faster teams. Although its special bulk allow it to tank most resisted hits, super-effective and even neutral attacks are a huge nuisance to it.

627.gif
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rufflet is a hard hitting hustle user that could be used to revenge kill mons that speed stat are below 99, though Raticate has more speed then Rufflet it doesn't have the same base power coverage moves Rufflet gets. If wanting to outspeed base speeds up to 114 Jolly nature would reach to 360. Not saying this pokemon is better than most birds in PU that hit harder but just it's coverage and coverage that makes it hard to switch into.

View attachment 59961
Rufflet @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- U-turn

Rufflet is a hard hitting hustle user that could be used to revenge kill mons that speed stat are below 99, though Raticate has more speed then Rufflet it doesn't have the same base power coverage moves Rufflet gets. If wanting to outspeed base speeds up to 114 Jolly nature would reach to 360. Not saying this pokemon is better than most birds in PU that hit harder but just it's coverage and coverage that makes it hard to switch into.
If you really, really want fighting coverage on your bird, you might as well just use salac berry natural gift dodrio. It isn't locked into a move, it doesn't get lowered stats, it has a higher attack stat even when jolly, and it has the same speed. Yes, Rufflet has Hustle, but that seems like it would hurt you when you most need it. You try to lure out the steel, you miss, they aren't caught unawares twice.

If you really, really want fighting coverage on your bird, you might as well just use salac berry natural gift dodrio. It isn't locked into a move, it doesn't get lowered stats, it has a higher attack stat even when jolly, and it has the same speed. Yes, Rufflet has Hustle, but that seems like it would hurt you when you most need it. You try to lure out the steel, you miss, they aren't caught unawares twice.
Well, while NG Dodrio is much more "unpredictable" than Rufflet (if you use Ruff, it's almost obvious that you will be using Superpower), at least you can use Superpower more than once... And while the accuracy is definitely an issue, you could think of Jolly Scarf Ruff as a medium point between Scarf Dodrio and Band Dodrio (it's stronger than scarf but faster than band) which is kinda decent, considering that Dodrio also has next to no bulk... (60-70-60 seems pretty similar to 70-50-50)

About Corphish... It is powerful at +2 but... I don't think you could set up to +2 easily unless you scare a Fire type (it can't OHKO Simisear at +0 with Aqua Jet) or something like that... And it's absolutely hard walled by Gourgeist, Tangela, and even Rose can scare it kinda easily (yep, +2 Crabhammer plus +2 Aqua Jet can beat the crap out of Rose, but with no investment, Rose has more than 50% chance of OHKOing Corp)

I guess they could still be usable!

Yeah, corphish is a really niche pick, and relies a lot on Hazards, but it can be really great in the proper setting, which is why I listed it.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Omanyte!

Omanyte @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim or Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ancient Power/Earth Power
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Shell Smash
OR
Omanyte @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid or Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Scald/Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off/Toxic Spikes

Omanyte is honestly an inferior Gorebyss as a Shell Smasher (with a few characteristics to set it apart from it). Basically every stat Omanyte has is lower than Gorebyss', and it only has Earth Power and Ancient Power as notable moves the other fish doesn't have access to. So the question arises: Why use Omanyte over Gorebyss? Well Omanyte has a few niches over Gorebyss. The first being it's rock typing, which allows it to resist normal, poison, flying and quad resist fire (granted it gets weaknesses to fighting, ground, x4 to grass and a neutrality to steel). Offensively that rock typing gives an increased effectiveness towards fire, flying, ice and bug types. Secondly, Omanyte gets access to the ability Weak Armor which gives it +1 speed and -1 defense when hit by a physical move. This allows it to get a much needed speed increase at the expense of some health. This can come in handy when getting up a shell smash (you get +3 speed, +2 Sp.Atk and +2 Atk). At a plus three speed boost, Omanyte reaches 462 speed, outspeeding max speed jolly Ninjask and scarf base 90's. This insane speed gives Omanyte the capability to sweep offensive teams that lack priority easily with Hydro Pump, Ancient Power and Ice Beam. Lastly, Omanyte has a slight surprise factor. Most of the time, people don't expect a shell smash from Omastar and end up regretting the fact it set up in the first place. Overall, if you want to use a fun Shell Smasher that isn't Gorebyss, Huntail or Crustle, know that Omanyte is waiting for you but be warned, it is inferior to them in most cases. *This set can also function as a wallbreaker early game if you can't sweep the other team*

The next set is a Suicide Lead Omanyte. PU has suicide leads like Venipede and Crustle, which offer better stats and abilities than Omanyte as a Suicide Lead. This poke has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes which set apart from nearly every hazard setter available in the tier. Omanyte also has Scald and Knock Off, moves that can potentially cripple foes (remove items or get burns). Against common leads in PU such as Golem, Relicanth or Stunfisk, Venipede and Crustle can't really touch them (Venipede can Endeavor though) while Omanyte can (using Scald). Weak Armor gives Omanyte a speed boost when hit by a physical move, allowing it to outspeed opposing leads to set up more hazards. Stealth Rocks and Spikes are a must on this poke as they provide that passive damage upon switch in. Toxic Spikes can also be used (replacing Scald or Knock Off) but three hazard moves is a bit much, and it won't be able to set up all three most of the time. Scald and Knock Off are the only attacking moves Omanyte should run because they can potentially cripple mons (removing items or burning them).
Vs Golem: Click Stealth Rocks first. If the Golem attacks you, Omantye now outspeeds due to Weak Armor activating. Can either Spike up before fainting or Scald it.
Vs Relicanth: Click Stealth Rocks first. Can then proceed to set up layers of Spikes or risk burning with Scald. Knock Off to remove it's item if you choose to, but Spiking up or Scalding is more beneficial.
Vs Stunfisk: Same as Relicanth^.
Vs Venipede: This is basically a battle of who can set up more hazards. After setting up rocks and all three layers of Spikes just try killing it with Scald or Knock Off.
Vs Crustle: Click Stealth Rocks first. Can then proceed to set up layers of Spikes or risk burning with Scald. Knock Off to remove it's item if you choose to, but Spiking up or Scalding is more beneficial.
Vs Gabite: Same as Crustle. Beware that Knocking Off Gabite when at 1% won't take off it's item as you faint due to Rough Skin.
Vs Roselia: Honestly Omanyte can only set up Stealth Rocks if it outspeeds you. If you outspeed, either Spike up or Knock Off Roselia's Eviolite.

Omanyte is really a fun pokemon to use. Not only that but when it is played well, it can accomplish more than you'd think.

Last edited:

Staravia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog

I honestly never thought I would find myself posting in this thread, but I found a pretty cool niche out of an NFE, so I present Staravia. With Intimidate, Roost, Defog, and the ability to use Eviolite along with decent enough defenses, Staravia is actually a pretty solid defensive Defogger as well as a pivot, thanks to U-turn. Staravia actually has the ability to counter Pokemon such as Leafeon and Monferno, while also having a faster U-turn than that of Vullaby, allowing it to break offensive Golem's Sturdy. Really not much else, it's a lot like Vullaby in the fact that it's a bulky Defogger, except Staravia has Intimidate as well as a stronger STAB move in Brave Bird that gives it a bit more offensive presence, especially against special attackers.
By the way, calcs for mons with SD are +1 because it's assuming you switch in and Intimidate takes affect. Anyways, here's a few calcs.

+1 252+ Atk Monferno Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Staravia: 166-196 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Staravia Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Monferno: 234-276 (86.9 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Leafeon Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Staravia: 102-121 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
8 Atk Staravia Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Leafeon: 164-194 (60.5 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Staravia: 102-122 (32.5 - 38.9%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Dusknoir Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Staravia: 143-169 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:toast:

Here's an interesting NFE I've been using lately.

Snubbull
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk

I have two sets I've tried. This is the first one I ran:
-Play Rough
-Roar/Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
This set is entirely dedicated to taking physical hits. It has Intimidate to help in this as well. Rest is its only form of recovery, and serves it well.

A different set, same EVs, Nature and item:
-Bulk Up
-Play Rough
-Earthquake/Sleep Talk
-Rest
This set is meant to be a bulky setup attacker. Bulk Up is the preferred stat-up move because it also boosts its Defense, and helps to better take hits. Play Rough is a great physical STAB, and Earthquake helps to hit Poison-Types that try to swap in. Like before, Rest is a recovery move that also helps to eliminate status and helps boost longevity. However, if running Sleep Talk, you will have to give up Earthquake coverage, and won't have anything to punish steel and poison types on the swap.

Here's an interesting NFE I've been using lately.

Snubbull
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk

I have two sets I've tried. This is the first one I ran:
-Play Rough
-Roar/Toxic
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
This set is entirely dedicated to taking physical hits. It has Intimidate to help in this as well. Rest is its only form of recovery, and serves it well.

A different set, same EVs, Nature and item:
-Bulk Up
-Play Rough
-Earthquake/Sleep Talk
-Rest
This set is meant to be a bulky setup attacker. Bulk Up is the preferred stat-up move because it also boosts its Defense, and helps to better take hits. Play Rough is a great physical STAB, and Earthquake helps to hit Poison-Types that try to swap in. Like before, Rest is a recovery move that also helps to eliminate status and helps boost longevity. However, if running Sleep Talk, you will have to give up Earthquake coverage, and won't have anything to punish steel and poison types on the swap.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/undiscovered-nfes.3553024/#post-6498465

sorry to say but Snubbull has already been posted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)