Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for being useless this last week i was panicking about midterms and got lost in the sauce

Ay I couldn't think of anything better so here's the requested rerun of Mega Houndoom. An overall niche pick with goons like Hydreigon, Nihilego, Infernape, and Roost Aeros running around, but nevertheless can be an effective Nasty Plot sweeper thanks to its great Speed, monstrous Special Attack, unique typing, and ability to not die in 1 hit from Scizor Bullet Punch. Gonna get the schedule back on track slowly, so get your squads in by Sunday!

first blood
Also dedicated to explodingdaisies cuz doooooooooom

Houndoom + Chesnaught is a very fun core I've been using, as Doom enjoys Chesnaught switching into Water, Rock, and Ground attacks, as well as it setting Spikes to help wear down Houndoom's answers. Houndoom benefits Chesnaught as Doom can pressure most psychic types as well as fire types in the tier. Tentacruel was added as hazard removal, a way to deal with fairies, an Infernape answer, and a way to help deal with SD bulky Scizor. Scizor was added as the Latias check on the build, being EV'd to live a +2 Superpower from offensive SD Scizor, and the rest being poured into special defense. Gligar functions as our rocker, Fighting type answer, and Stallbreaker, bearing Taunt over U-turn to help the stall matchup. Hydreigon provided us Speed Control, as well as a Psychic Immunity, which greatly improved the matchup vs things like Reuniclus, Hp Fire Latias, etc. Overall the team is very fun, although it does have a major issue. That issue is if Offensive SD Quick Attack Scizor gets +2, it's very hard to kill back. In summary, this is a fun build that I feel can really showcase what Doom can do: Break everything with proper support.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Here is my MegaDoom team which I built pretty recently. vivalospride said anything can be a suicide sticky web user, so I was using Sewaddle and it still basically does its job of a suicide lead. Like it gets Magic Coat, I'm just saying...but for the sake of the teams effectiveness I'll put on Araquanid incase you can't handle the heat. I just chose to use MegaDoom because why not tbh. It does suffer quite a bit in the current meta as pointed out, but I think it has some ability to shine on HO. Standard set, though I opted for Taunt to help keep my hazards up + this team already handles fairies just fine. Standard Mamoswine which gives me a SR setter + pressures Latias and Malt. SD Scizor as a wincon, pretty bog standard staple on these types of teams. Electrium-Z Latias helps with breaking and luring some steel types for Scizor to better sweep. Next I added SD Lucario as another breaker / wincon. I chose Adamant as outspeeding Mamo, Nido etc. doesn't really matter. This thing hits like a truck under webs and even 2OHKOs Quag on the switch. It is my main deterrant to stop Hydreigon spamming Dark Pulse + Draco Meteor. Though with all the priority on the team it isn't a huge issue. Hope you have fun with the team ^_^
Other options you can consider are: NP Lucario, putting the Z-move on Lucario and giving Latias LO. And ofc Sewaddle > Araq
(Hehe)

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Houndoom is one of my favorites, but alas it's not too hot in UU with Terrakion, Prim, and Hydreigon all over. I was having issues deciding who to pair doom w initially, and DraconicLepus recommended bulky SD scizor. From there, I decided to take on the fun task of utilizing Slowking + Chesnaught. While Chesnaught set up spikes, Slowking could force switches through the annoying combination of Dragon Tail and Future Sight. Slowking's superb special bulk made it better for taking on NP users like Lucario and Infernape boosted compared to Slowbro. Diancie complimented the team nicely as a consistent Moltres switchin and rocker. Nidoking finished the team off as an electric immunity and didn't need boosts to hit hard. Also came with the nice bonuses of A. having room for Superpower to lure Blissey, as I don't have a super strong physical attacker and B. existing as a grounded poison for opposing Toxic Spikes since I lacked hazard removal of my own. The team still lacks a ground-immunity at this point, but in practice I've found this isn't too big of a deal since Chesnaught bulky enough to deal with all EQ users, and Slowking beats Nidos as well. Overall a fun squad that appreciates what Houndoom brings to the table-- sick breaking power with Nasty Plot and Taunt support to prevent Defog. Yeah I know Sickist built Houndoom + Chesnaught too ;w;

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/3807c44530dcbb32
I chose sludge bomb in the last slot to hit Primarina because it's everywhere.
For the second team member, i chose Toxicroak because it has a nice synergy with Houndoom Dry skin allows it to freely switch into water types such as empoleon,tentacruel and suicune which would otherwise be problematic for houndoom.
Moreover, Toxicroak is solid against stall since it checks the blissey and alomomola core.
When facing Quagsire, substitute forces Quagsire to stay in and click earthquake.
Quagsire dies to a combination of focus punch plus a z-focus punch even rocks aren't on and leftovers weren't knocked.
Ice punch punishes gligar and latias on the switch safely.
However, the core brings 0 defensive utility and it especially weak to ground types.
Thus, i decided to follow up with some defensive mons.
Gligar not only offers ground immunity but alos volt switch immunity and acts as a solid defogger and checks Terrakion (which checks Houndoom),Zeraora,Cobalion and so on.
Defensive Primarina acts as a very solid hydreigon and infernape check which gives Houndoom a hard time to deal with.
It also serves as a check ground types such as Hippowdon and Swampert which this team could have a few ways to kill.
Next, i see myself still being weak to Latias, then scarf Scizor just popped into my mind.
It's fun and surprises opponents while being a great revenge killer against Latias,Celebi,Altaria and can sometimes even revenge kill fighting types like cobalion,Lucario due to it's surprise element.
Last but not least, i had Nihilego as a flying type check and my stealth rocker.
I opted for a life orb grass knot set to heavily damage annoying ground types.

164699(Pokepaste in pic)

Here's my Megadoom team. Its another Azelf HO, big surprise. This Azelf is a very typical suicide lead variant that does it's usual thing. We also have Zeraora used as the team's main check to threats like Mega Pidgeot as well as a volt immunity. It's also a fairly strong, fast attacker that enjoys the pressure of stealth rocks being on the board. Next up, we have our main mon, Mega Houndoom. It acts as a strong breaker vs bulkier builds with nasty plot and a bullet punch resist to help with Scizor. This Houndoom has Sludge Bomb to better deal with Primarina, who would otherwise be downright obnoxious for this build. We have Cobalion next, it helps pester Hydreigon which can be annoying for Megadoom, and also adds a method of punishing U-turn, which can be extremely bothersome for Mega Houndoom as a Scizor check. It can use SD to mess with more balanced teams or rock polish to absolutely batter offensive matchups. Next up is Latias, it gives my team another method of breaking bulkier builds as well as a decent water resist for messing with various annoyances to the team. Last up, we have Scizor. Scizor acts as a decent method of speed control with it's strong bullet punches and also acts as the team's primary Latias check with it's resistance. Anyways, I hope you like the team! I know I've been making a bunch of Azelf offense builds lately but in my personal opinion this is one of my best ones yet.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
for my sake can y'all please put the importable in a hidebox instead of a pokepastes that makes me need to click more shit to make voting? Accessibility, and all.
Sickist

Twilight
Scizorphobic

DonSalvatore

Smallsmallrose (sprites not available rn, click the link on the post above. It's got an Azelf and a Zeraora.)

Please get your vote in by Tuesday.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
hey let's get this back on track by just skipping a week, eh?

Twilight wins this week with 4 votes. Webs are cool.

Twilight - 4
Scizorphobic - 3
Smallsmallrose - 2
Don/Sickist - 1

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hey this thing is ranked, build around it. It's a Z-Celebrate sweeper and that means it's pretty hardlocked to HO but I'm sure we'll get some creative submissions anyway.

Get your submissions in by Saturday.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧God is a Shaymin✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Shaymin @ Normalium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Celebrate
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Terrakion @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Haze
- Sludge Bomb

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 188 HP / 236 Atk / 84 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Ugh yes we stan by this week.
Shaymin fucking slaps and its rise in the vr further solidifies that. So I firmly believe that Shaymin works best with Double Pursuit support as it needs all the chip necessary so that it breaks through Pokémon much easier at the end without using up turns to deal damage. Shaymin+Terrakion was inspired by a comment I received on the current Shaymin analysis that I’m writing that wanted me to mention Terrakion and Kommo-o as wallbreakers and hey, Terrakion seems really cool as it offensively keeps hazards up against most removal. Babiri Terrak is also my cute little lure against Scizor since I did not want to waste my time packing a whole lot of shit against S ranked mons due to the amount of compression teams need to provide for Shaymin. Even with lures, I still needed a Scizor switch-in and Tentacruel handles that along with being my hazard removal that checks Gligar due to Terrak not being Rockium. Next up, Latias looked like a little bitch to fight against so I took an interesting approach on this one and added Assault Vest Bisharp as my Latias check and Pursuit user #1. It’s also good to have a Defog deterrent on fast HO teams like this and Bisharp provides slight defensive utility with Assault Vest. Heracross is now next up as I needed a stallbreaker+early-game breaker that fucks up the majority of Shaymin switch-ins. Heracross also can bypass Doublade for Terrakion and even helps Bisharp since almost every Doublade is carrying Sacred Sword atm. Finally, Mega Aerodactyl is the speed control, Flying-resist, and Pursuit user #2 that bullies all the weakened Pokémon that Terrakion and Heracross are putting massive strain on. Overall a really fun team that I’ve been laddering with currently cause Shaymin is the greatest Pokémon in UU don’t @ me if you disagree.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Shaymin @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Rest

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Lunar Dance
- Thunder Wave

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Haze

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Volcanion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Superpower
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
Had to try make a balance shaymin team after what you said honestly. I'm a terrible builder but thought I'd give this a go for once because shaymin has been one of my favourite mons ever since gen 4.

Decided to build around a more balance shaymin, so life orb 3 attacks + rest came to mind, as it has strong coverage that's hard to resist unless you are called crobat moltres or heattom, the latter of which can't continually tank seed flares happily, and with natural cure rest is a nice full heal to counteract the life orb chip. Seed flare + life orb + coverage makes it hard for a lot of stuff to swap into even if it resists grass unless it resists all 3 moves and/or is faster and can kill, since it doesn't have to a waste a turn using z-celebrate first and doesn't need to worry about hp fire for scissor since it is free to swap lots so can run nicer coverage.

Next I added kommo-o to ease the bulky/stall matchup for shaymin, since it has no ability to set up. Went for pjab over rocks in order to better deal with togekiss primarily (since tentacruel and shaymin are the only other pokemon faster than it and shaymin can't hit it hard with dazzling gleam). Mixed clanger is just generally a very easy pokemon to shove into a balance team anyway, as it is never dead weight.

Cresellia was next, in order to provide the main form of speed control for the team by spreading paralysis, and to provide healing wish support for kommo, since life orb chip can build up very quickly, or any other mon that the victory heavily depends upon. Acts as as the main physical wall of the team, paralysing set up sweepers (a lot of which it can just beat itself thanks to moonblast and parahax coupled with its monstrous defence) and completely walling zeraora unlike hippo/gligar cores. Had a lot of success with this cresselia based core in research week 8, so decided to re-use it here.

Next was tentacruel to make the togekiss matchup a bit better. Chose to drop tspikes for sludge wave in order to improve the togekiss matchup, while keeping haze in order to deal with suicune and the ability to haze things that cress has paralsyed if necessary. Main and only form of hazard removal for the team.

Next was blissey to complete the defensive core, acting as the stealth rocker and the general purpose special wall, in particular acting as the primarina answer for the team. Wish support in order to help keep tentacruel healthy, as wish from blissey will always heal it to full, enabling tentacruel to overcome its crippling lack of recovery.

Finally, added an unusual volcanion set, as as back up stall-breaking measure in order to not put all the pressure on kommo-o. Z-Superpower will ohko blissey after a steam eruption/Fire Blast or a sludge wave + SR damage, and as completely unexpected it's likely blissey will stay in on this. Movepool ensures that it is hard to resist, and it offers great matchup vs fiaries such as primarina, sylveon and florges thanks to it's coverage, the latter 2 in particular which shaymin will struggle to break without SpD drops from seed flare or crits.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Shaymin BO

Shaymin seemed like a fun option, as its signature move Seed Flare could wallop Special Walls such as Blissey and Unaware Walls such as Quagsire and Blissey. Krookodile was there to Pursuit trap Latias, which Shaymin couldn't deal with. Rotom-H does what Rotom-H does, as a Scizor/Molt check, a Defogger, and a general Flying check. Mega Beedrill finished a VoltTurn core to pressure the opposing team, and could provide Toxic Spikes to wear down mons into+1 Shaymin range. Specs Primarina gave us a check to Scarf Hydreigon, which pressured the living shit out of the team at the moment, and provided us with a breaker that could also punch holes into the team for Shaymin. lastly, Cobalion gave us a second Scizor check, and finally, Stealth Rocks.

Shaymin @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare
- Celebrate

Krookodile (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Beedrill-Mega (M) @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Toxic Spikes

Primarina (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria
- Psychic

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Shaymin @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Celebrate

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Slack Off
- Gunk Shot

Jellicent @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Altaria @ Altarianite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Body Slam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Defog

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

So utilizing Shaymin's main niche in the tier, Z Celebrate, I coupled it with Infernape and Jellicent to form a FWG core. I chose Ape because of it's great speed tier and non-weakness to rocks, as well as it's wallbreaking potential to soften up the opponents for when Shaymin is ready to celebrate. Jellicent is the team's main way of thrashing Grounds and Scizor's alike, being able to burn things with wisp or threaten a burn with Scald. Taunt also prevents slower things from attempting to Toxic it. I was super electric and Crawdaunt weak, so I threw Altaria on there as my defogger of choice, also being able to handle most electrics in the tier and reliably stay healthy with Roost. Body Slam is chosen here to cheese people with paralysis, making Shaymin even scarier late game. Next, I needed a *solid* flying check and a rocker, as well as a ground to block volt switches, so i chose *solid* B+ material Rhyperior. It provides rocks, powerful edgequakes, and a way to not lose to Moltres. Finally, the team was Latias weak, as well as lacking speed, so I went with the uprising Scarf Scizor, suprising stuff like Latias by being able to pick off faster U-turn weak things, such as the aftermentioned Latias. Something I should note though is that this team hates NP Celebi. This team was really fun to make, and I hope you all enojoy!

rhyperior for B+

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)