Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Hey, congrats to Smallsmallrose for the victory!

------------------------------

Speaking of roses...

Roserade has been gaining a small surge in viability from SPL, and it's been viewed favorably (so far) in Research Week. It's a Spiker that can check Primarina and various other goons, and its offenses and typing let it beat many opposing hazard removers with ease. It's still niche, though, so let's see what y'all can build for it this time.

Get your submissions in by Sunday, please.

first blood

(click sprites for importable)

I really liked what Scizorphobic did for the submission, so I'll follow the whole routine.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Starting off with Roserade, obviously. I opted for a 3 attacks-synthesis set, as it looked really appealing, and I was getting bored of using spikes over and over. You'd be surprised at how many switches this thing causes, which gives it alot of chances to Synthesize and heal off any LO or hazard damage.

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog / Sleep Talk

Next, Moltres was paired with Amoongus to give us a consistent Scizor answer, as well as a way to break Amoongus, which Rose hates. Moltres also can give us hazard control, but depending on how often I start to run into Amoongus on ladder, I opted for Sleeptalk sometimes as well. Flyinium Z softens up alot for Roserade, as well as being a tactile nuke for removing chipped Rotom Heats.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Empoleon completes this FWG core, as well as being our rocker. It also acts as the team's Latias/Hydreigon answer. Does standard Empoleon things.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Gligar works really well with Empoleon, forming basically HippoEmp 2.0. Gligar is the consistant hazard removal for the team, as well as the team's main Stallbreaker. Again, does standard Gligar things, but Taunt is nice to shutdown stuff like Chesnaught and Terrakion from spiking and clicking SD, respectively.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Signal Beam

When I looked at what I had so far, I thought to myself, "dang, this looks like volt switch would be really nice here". So, I added it. Manectric provides Volt Switch support, a backup Scizor check, an electric immunity pre-mega, and a fast pivot. Signal Beam was added over Thunderbolt to help with the Krookidile matchup, and to catch stray Hydreigons and Latias'.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Superpower

I coughed up blood laughing at this. At first glance, it looks like a crappy lure. But it actually works in theory and in practice. First, lets talk about why Hydrei is here in the first place. Basically, I needed Speed Control and a way to somewhat check Crawdaddy and revenge kill things. So I threw on the most splashable mon in the tier on and called it a team. Back to the 4th move..

So after adding Hydreigon (with Fire Blast), I looked at the team and played around a bit with it. I really ended struggling with Blissey as a whole, and Empoleon was kinda annoying. I never really clicked Fire Blast that often anyways, especially when I had HP Fire Roserade, Flamethrower Manectric, and Moltres. So I decided to run through a few of my old fire ORAS teams and preUSM teams, and found that gem. Here are the calcs:
4 Atk Hydreigon Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 546-644 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- 81.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Hydreigon Superpower over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 76 Def Empoleon: 308-364 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Hydreigon Superpower over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 328-388 (101.5 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed KO in 2 turns after Stealth Rock

I'll be the first to admit, it's gimmicky as heck and very prediction based, but if you play your cards right...It's 100% worth it.
Edit: added some replays that I played horribly throughout

Anyways, that was a long submission. Hope TPP doesn't lock this basically RMT for posting before my 2 weeks lol (TPP is the coolest dude ever btw)

Enjoy your day all!

Edit: Hideboxed description just for you cake :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
163197 (Click for Pokepaste)

I decided to make a team with Roserade and Pidgeot because I stated myself in research week that Pidgeot pairs well with spikers. This time, i decided to give the good ol work-up pidge a try since I figured it could handle steel types well enough with strong hazard support. Next up, I decided to use Scizor. Scizor is the team's Lati check and speed control, especially helpful since there are faster megas than Pidge. I also run Gligar on this team. You'd think with all the voltturning, I'd use U-turn on this Gligar, but I felt Toxic to be more necessary for Rotom-H counterplay. Next up, we have Mienshao, a fantastic pivot that lets me handle Hydreigon with ease. We also have Rotom-H as the role compression defog god that it usually is. Last up, we have Roserade. Roserade was one of the main two mons I wanted to build this team around, it's an amazing spiker and a decent grass type. I used Poisonium Z on it so that I can battle bulletproof mons much easier while being a fantastic spiker with a lot of pressure. It also serves as a great foil to Pidgeot by matching up well against some of Pidgeot's less favorable matchups like Rhyperior and Diancie. Anywho, I hope you like the team!

Roserade BO

Roserade @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Ice Fang

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Toxic
- Defog

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Florges @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

So to respect Cake’s wishes, I’m putting all my stuff in hide texts. Roserade has been a mon I wanted to try out for a while but now I finally got to build a team around it. I won a tour with it a couple hours ago albeit with a little freeze hax as luck so it overall seems to be a solid team. Roserade is the Z-Sludge Bomb+Sleep Powder set that Pak used in SPL which is a really cool set to bust through Water-types and stuff like Amoonguss and Mega Altaria. Naturally, Mega Aerodactyl popped in my head as a good partner to revenge Latias, Gengar, and other mons that outspeed Roserade while Mega Aerodactyl uses Roserade to dent through Amoonguss and bulky Waters and bulky Steels that Roserade can dent with Hidden Power Fire to make its job easier. Rotom-H then came up next as the hazard removal+full Scizor answer and is more reliable in removing Bulky Steels. Next up I felt like I needed a wincon of some sort and basic Bulky SD Scizor came to mind as it also abuses Roserade denting all the Steel-types that can’t do shit back to Scizor. Next was the rocker and Seismitoad was picked as the rocker as it has positive matchups vs Rotom-H, Tentacruel, and Volcanion which Scizor can lure via U-turn to bring Seismitoad in so I can keep up rocks. Finally, I first had Specs Prima in the final slot because I felt like I needed a Fairy but since Seis handled Scizor’s answers+I stacked another Water-type, it felt a little redundant. So I decided to use the dope Offensive Florges set that Amane Misa has used that doesn’t give up offensive pressure while also carries Psychic+Hidden Power Fire to lure in a lot of common Florges answers. Roserade can also use Florges’s Psychic to lure in Poison-types so that the opponent has less mons to stomach an Acid Downpour with. Overall, I had a lot of fun building this and the team came together pretty easily!

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
im just gonna assume the hide box thing was for super elaborate posts w extra sprites. anyway i have two versions of this team but i went w the weirder one. roserade has been picking up steam and its generally agreed poisionium (ik i prolly spelled that wrong) sleep powder is the best set. so, of course, i made a left turn and tried toxic spikes. ive been wanting to put rose on a bulkier build for awhile now so i put it with fully defensive fire fang hippowdon to reliably fuck over scizor. scizor boring so we got rock polish cobalion up in here with steelium to smack mons like latias easier. recover starmie is actually annoying as hell rn w the most common remover being gligar and as a spinner it didnt remove tspikes like empo. hydreigon is here bc taunt + tspikes is hot and suicune is a pain when your grass move is leaf storm. aero takes advantage of starmie > toise and helps w the lati matchup. it also is potent at screwing over nihilego, which can come in on roserade easily and remove tspikes. hope yall like the team uwu.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
im just gonna assume the hide box thing was for super elaborate posts w extra sprites. anyway i have two versions of this team but i went w the weirder one. roserade has been picking up steam and its generally agreed poisionium (ik i prolly spelled that wrong) sleep powder is the best set. so, of course, i made a left turn and tried toxic spikes. ive been wanting to put rose on a bulkier build for awhile now so i put it with fully defensive fire fang hippowdon to reliably fuck over scizor. scizor boring so we got rock polish cobalion up in here with steelium to smack mons like latias easier. recover starmie is actually annoying as hell rn w the most common remover being gligar and as a spinner it didnt remove tspikes like empo. hydreigon is here bc taunt + tspikes is hot and suicune is a pain when your grass move is leaf storm. aero takes advantage of starmie > toise and helps w the lati matchup. it also is potent at screwing over nihilego, which can come in on roserade easily and remove tspikes. hope yall like the team uwu.
The sprites aren't clickable, please fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)