Project Underused Teambuilding Competition - Week 77: Building! (Shaymin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Hey, congrats to Twilight for winning this round! Talonstoise is still a thing bop.

-------------------------------------

Azelf at least used to be UU's premier suicide lead, but Froslass has recently taken that role according to some. Still, it's a viable lead, and its other sets are cool too, if a bit hard to fit. Send in your hyper offense teams (or wacky CB azelf balance or something) by Saturday, and have fun building!

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Some more HO this week, the CB Azelf dream was too much for me to make a reality. I decided to run screens Azelf instead of the standard suicide rocks set. I opted for U-turn in the last slot to grab momentum and max HP to be as bulky as possible. Next I added Mamo to be the rock suicide lead instead. It has Focus sash + Endeavor to potentially remove a threat that tries to nuke it like Scizor or just to weaken a bulky wall. You can use Oblivious to be immune to Taunt, otherwise just use Thick Fat. SD Crawdaunt was the first thing that came to my mind. From testing I prefer giving this LO as the next member prefers the Z-move more. Hits other things like Aggron and Hydreigon hard at +2 and potentially removing them. Next I added Haxorus to DD up and start breaking/sweeping by abusing the screens. Mold Breaker lets it remove Rotom-H and Bronzong for example. Gave this the Dragonium-Z to nuke Amoonguss, Pyuku etc. Malt was the next member as I needed something for the dragon and dark types. It is also another DD sweeper. I've been using Facade on it but test around with Frustration too. Final member was Doublade, because I needed something that eases the Lati, Scizor and Terrak match-up. It can set-up vs them pretty easily and soft checks opposing Malt. Appreciates Malt and Crawdaunt keeping Hydra and Bisharp in check. Hope you like the squad as I've had fun and success with it. Aim to break with Daunt + Hax and the last two members should clean up if you play it right.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast

Kommo-o @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat

Scizor @ Iron Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
I decided to make a team around Choice Scarf Azelf which allows me to lure Hydreigon. Most of the time, when you see a team with Azelf in first position, you're assuming it's the Lead with Stealth Rocks. The team aims to use this to bait on the first turn Hydreigon and OHKOed it thanks to Dazzling Gleam. U-turn is pretty cool to Pivot into something which can deal with Azelf's check such as special Wall while Psychic is a great STAB which can be pretty nasty in the engame. Last but not least Fire Blast aims to hit Steel types. On the other hand, we have a team which benefits from the fact that Azelf can lure Hydreigon. Kommo-o is our Stealth Rocks setter and a pretty cool Stallbreaker while Choice Specs Hydreigon acts as great Wallbreaker which can also Pivot into fairies which would like to handle it. Nidoking, Scizor and Bisharp to a lesser extent are here to nuke fairies. Scizor and Bisharp can also act as Cleaners in the endgame while Substitute Nidoking can bother a lot Balanced teams which opens doors for its teammates in the endgame.

Send in your hyper offense teams (or wacky CB azelf balance or something)
You know Cake, the more you and TSR post crazy stuff like this the more I feel inclined to build around it.

Azelf @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Trick

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Trick
- Memento

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Hydreigon @ Poisonium Z
Timid Nature
- Belch
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

Yeah this is more of a BO than a Balance but where's the fun in just slapping a CB Azelf onto a Balance and calling it a day? You gotta go the extra mile! So instead of just using a Banded Azelf, I decided to make this a full Trick Spam! Azelf is a pretty funky mon to be using a Band with so how about giving multiple Trick users choice items once they're done doing what they need to do and then pass off these items to your opponents mons as they start banging their head on a wall in confusion? So here I have a Banded Azelf with Fire Punch because I want my offensive Psychic-types to have something against Steel-types. Next up is a Scarf user which is Mowtom since Azelf looks like it struggles vs Bulky Grounds+Krook so Mowtom is the hazard remover, the speed control, and is Trick user #2! Azelf and Mowtom also form up a speedy Voltturn for the rest of the team which is something that I like on many teams. Next up was having the Trick user #3 be a Specs user and no one expects Chandelure to be anything but Sub CM so I'm slapping it on here because Specs Chandy is amazing no matter how many times people might tell me not. Also gives me something more reliable to handle Zor so good stuff and Specs Overheat crushes everything that isn't a bulky Water or Drei so we good. Next up was a wincon and I needed a rocker and since I have Memento on this Chandy I would like a mon that abuses it. Coba handles a lot of Chandy switch-ins and crippling them even further can help me guarantee an SD and Coba gets to be my Rocker. Now this team looked like it was having issues with Dragons like Latias and Kommo-o so Primarina gives me some sort of defensive backbone to handle them. Finally, my Steel-type doesn't resist Fairies and Chandelure is for some reason my Fairy switch-in of all things so I wanted to find something that could help me eliminate those defensive Fairies. Since I already have speed control, I decided to bring out Z-Belch Hydreigon out of retirement to lure and nuke those pesky Fairies. This concludes the whole creation process of the meme team so enjoy swapping out your choice items into tanks! Gotta go index this next to Froslass stall now.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
SOUVENIR. (Azelf) @ Adrenaline Orb
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Nasty Plot

BIRDIE. (Aerodactyl-Mega) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Pursuit

CRUSH. (Infernape) @ Firium Z
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Swords Dance

DUMB BLONDE. (Primarina) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 16 SpA / 20 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Toxic

HEAD ABOVE WATER. (Cobalion) @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

GODDESS. (Gligar) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
Can’t believe zydoge got a week before my boy azelf :blobtriumph: . I’ve posted azelf teams a couple times before (np and screens) and I wanted to try a physical set but nothing really stuck. So I went and built with NP Adrenaline Orb again. It’s really nice for teams relying on Scarf Krookodile to revenge the fast special attackers in the tier. I decided to pair it with the Aerodactyl and CB Infernape core since Azelf smashes stall real easy and Infernape could smack Hydreigon and Sharpedo with Mach Punch while Mega Aero gets Latias. I decided to add Primarina as another check to Latias and went with the cool Protect toxic set from Kink to pester fatter teams more. I also didn’t want Latias setting up on Rest Talk prim but couldn’t have specs getting worn down too low to deal with Hydreigon. I then added Cobalion to deal with Scizor and annoy it with Rocky Helmet. Thunder Wave is a fun tech to catch pokemon like Latias while still annoying Moltres. Gligar tied the team together with an electric immunity, removal, and could even pivot Azelf or Infernape in. I ended up changing Infernape to Firium to deal with Hippo easier and being less exploitable.

tect toxic prim works i swear

Last edited:
HERE is my Azelf team

Its been a while since I've posted for one of these, but I love Azelf 5 goons teams so I HAD to post for Azelf week. First off, we have Azelf. The pinnacle of HO. Set rocks, taunt their rocks, and boom, momentum right at your fingertips. Next up, we have a funky choice, an SD Rhyperior. The spread is to take on Moltres, Pidgeot, and Manetric, mainly the last 2 as those mons are so obnoxious to Azelf builds. The spread also uses max attack Adamant with a Life Orb to snag a clean 2HKO on both unaware bulky waters, Pyukumuku and Quagsire, allowing Rhyperior to handily break them and the defensive builds that they're seen on. Next up, we have Infernape. A stallbreaker extraordinare with fight Z and nasty plot. It also acts as one of the team's soft Scizor checks. We have the team's other soft Scizor check, the wonderful Starmie, as our next mon. It can pluck a weakened Scizor with Hydro while resisting BP. It can also just click buttons as a 4 attacks Starmie does, helping keep up the momentum for this HO build. Another mon we have here is Altaria. It helps the team with Hydreigon and M-Scept. It's also a very effective Dragon Dance Sweeper with many setup opportunities. And lastly, Scizor. it's a fantastic cleaner, it also gives the team a method of speed control and a Latias check, covering the team's last few remaining weaknesses decently well. I hope you like the team!

Smallsmallrose, congratulations for winning the week!

My lord we have been putting some terrible mons in these last few weeks...time for something good 'n underr8d, like Rhyperior. While its not in the greatest spot now thanks to threats like Slowbro, Primarina, and Amoonguss rising up, it still offers a unique slew of defensive utility with Flying-, Electric-, Rock-, Fire-, and Poison-type moves, in addition to its amazing Solid Rock ability, letting it stay in and facetank Bullet Punches from Scizor and weak super effective coverage options from Pokemon like Mega Manectric. On top of all this, its unique typing and available coverage on top of its monstrous Attack stat give it a favorable matchup against a majority of hazard removers in the current metagame, outside of some less than common choices like Rotom-Mow and Recover Starmie, when setting Stealth Rock. Get to building, and get it in by Saturday!

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Here is my Rhyperior squad this week. I've never built using this Mon so it took me a few itterations to make one I liked. I pretty much used a standard Rhyperior set with Rocks, but I dropped Toxic for Ice punch as Gligar is everywhere. It is also nice coverage in general for it. I added the core of NP Celebi + DD Malt as Celebi appreciates Rhyperior checking the flying types. I went with Ghostium-Z for testing purposes, but Psychium-Z feels better imo. Standard DD Malt set, I wasn't too inventive with the EV spread. Choice Scarf Scizor gives me a way to remove Latias and adds speed control. I've honestly been enjoying this set quite a lot for its surprise factor. Rotom-H was added as a Defog user + I needed a check to Scizor. Finally we have SD Cobalion as Rotom-H can get overwhlmed trying to handle Scizor + gives me a Bisharp check. I've been testing around and you can use w/e in the last slot tbh: Taunt, Rock Polish, Volt Switch etc.

Replay of the team being used, note that I was using Ghostium as I mentioned b4 but swapped it out later. Anyways hope you like the team ^_^

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
needy

<click sprites for importable>
Rhyperior has been disregarded sm and im glad its the mon for this week. I was originally gonna post a rhyperior + celebi team but twilights is straight up better so i built something new with the mon i found annoy to build w during last research week. m sceptile. i actually was able to get to the 1700s w it (good for me lol) and appreciate the competition getting me to build it. more a e s t h e t i c post since im not doing rw week stuff.

building
&

sets

Started with the man of the hour week Rhyperior. With its fat 140 attack I wanted to use Swords Dance instead of Toxic. Muscling past Hippo, Gligar, and Magnet Rise keys is pretty sick. There's probably some 500 iq spread to get certain kills at +2 but I just used the normal spread from the analysis. When boosted people tend to be surprised by the damage output still lmao.

Scizor was the first partner I thought of since its a Steel-type that can't take Flying-type attacks and appreciates Rhyperior's ability to consistently switch into Moltres and serve as an Electric-immunity. Hp grass on Manectric is kinda dead with Gligar's rise in popularity. I opted for the basic Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Roost / U-turn since Rhyperior dealt with bulky Steel-types well enough. Buginium Z is handy for nuking shit like Amoonguss and Hippo immediately.

Sceptile isn't the most innovative partner with SD U-turn Sciz but yeah it works well. I mainly used a Synthesis + 3 attacks set which came in handy for Sceptile to be a Scald switch in and not get worn down too quickly into Shadow Sneak range or something. With a reliable recovery move, I went with Energy Ball as my Grass STAB move. Wasn't as weak as Giga Drain and didn't have the potential ramifications of Leaf Storm drops. Let me beat Suicune more consistently too. Messed around with Leaf Storm/EQ/Fire/Dpulse but found Synthesis more consistent for the team overall. But OHKOing Gengar is really nice still.

Silvally Fairy to C- Honestly though, I'm really loving this mon as a defogger since Altaria (before mega) and Togekiss are bothered by rocks. Parting shot is a fun move to give Scizor and even Rhyperior some setup opportunities. Silvally-Fairy being nonexistent means pivoting it into Scarf Hydreigon's Draco Meteor is nearly a guarantee. Also cool for smacking Shark and Scizor going for U-turn with Multi-Attack and Flamethrower respectively.

Block Slowbro patched up a few of my worries, mainly Infernape and the stall m/u. It also provided a means of spreading status, which is always helpful. In general, it was a reliable pivot that appreciated the damage cut down from parting shot. Rest hasn't given any trouble even against offensive teams thanks to this reduced damage.

Hydreigon, as another S rank pokemon, can fit into all different archetypes like Scizor. Here, I found Taunt LO drei a solid pick for its strong STAB attacks and ability to work with Slowbro to dismantle stall teams. It can prevent Mega Altaria switching in from getting off a Roost too. Taunt Hydreigon happens to pair well Block Slowbro for me most of the time.

replays

161249 161251 161252

This post was sponsored by Rhyperior to B inc.

Last edited:
Cheap to use this team, but I totally didn't build this team for 2 projects...

(click sprites for importable)

Basically, I started with Pidgeot-Mega (cuz I had to for research week) and Rhyperior (for the teambuilding competition) and they work really well together actually. Rhyperior checks MAerodactyl, Rotom-Toaster, Moltres, MManecetric, and a few others for Pidgeot. In return, Pidgeot threatens Fightings in general, Amoongus, Celebi, Mega Sceptile (as long as you don't try and come in on Dragon Pulse), and most waters don't like eating hurricanes (bar Empoleon). Suicune was added as a way to pressure Hippowdon, Gligar, and Stall as a whole. Scizor then was added to trap Latias, which the team still is annoyed by, and to revenge kill stuff like Togekiss. Hydreigon is our speed control, forming a Uturn core with Scizor, itself, Pidgeot, and a Volturn core with Rotom Heat. Speaking of Rotom, It's our Defogger and Secondary Flying check, as well as our primary Scizor answer (Suicune can handle most SD varients as long as you don't switch hard into a u-turn/bugbite).

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-864749284 vs Stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-864754368 vs Mega Scept offense
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-864747096 vs some weird BO build

Also can someone pin to my wall the image resources because I only have subpar BW2 sprites..​

Remember when Rhyperior was getting nommed for A-?

CB Rhyperior Rock Spam

Rhyperior @ Choice Band
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail

Terrakion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scizor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Hydreigon @ Dread Plate
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick

I hardly ever used Rhyperior back when it was the shit tbh. One of my best teams with it though was a Rhyperior+Mega Venu BO based off of the core that Juuno posted a while ago. But of course when I’m given the opportunity to build around it, it’s not going to be the lame standard Rocks set. I saw the potential in a Choice Band set instead due to 140 Base Attack+EdgeQuake+Solid Rock making it surprisingly reliable vs Scizor is promising. Fire Punch makes me ensure that I nab the OHKO against every Scizor set and honestly didn’t think there was much to optimize with so I just went with fthe rest in Health so that you have a very very small chance to be 2HKOed by +2 Bullet Punch from Bulky SD Scizor (I haven’t seen many SD Scizors with Fightinium currently so this helps). Aqua Tail is on this set because it ensures that I 2HKO Max Def Hippo which has been running around atm and I still can take on Gligar with it. So I decided to form up a Rock Spam with CB Rhyperior and SD Terrakion due to these two overwhelming Bulky Grounds along with Terrakion appreciating Rhyperior as a full Flying resist+mon that can take out Hippo due to me running Rockium. Now I already saw so many Waters and Grass-types shitting all over this duo so Amoonguss immediately struck me as a pivot for this team to swerve around these attacks and Amoonguss can also user Rhyperior as the Flying-check. Next up was that Celebi was proving to be really dangerous for this team so that’s why I brought in the Scarf Scizor. I’ve been spamming the shit out of this set because it’s so spicy with supplying a decently fast and sturdy speed control combined with a strong U-turn. Scizor allows me to take on Celebi and Latias which was what this team needed. Of course there’s a Hydreigon now because I needed removal+floaty mon and Hydreigon is the most reliable mon ever with everything so it finds itself here. Finally, I needed a rocker but what made this a bit of an issue was finding the best rocker to use without making it painstakingly obvious that Rhyperior wasn’t the rocker. Considering that this team could have issues with Amoonguss being my only check to Fighting-types and Infernape just shits all over my team if it gets a turn of setup, Alolan Marowak is oddly able to find a spot on this team as my rocker. It doesn’t immediately give away that Rhyperior is Banded and it of course deals with Nasty Plot Infernape beautifully. I have Low Kick to attack the opposing Hydreigon and I have Rock Head because I preferred the extra damage. Alolan Marowak also can use Terrakion to discourage stuff from Krookodile.

This teams got a bit of surprises and I’m glad to see how it came out! Enjoy!

Here's another team that uses azelf and an SD Rhyperior, though not quite the exact same as last week's team. This one opts for some different members. First off, we have Azelf. Pretty self-explanatory, we know what Azelf does. Next up, we have our Rhyperior. This is the same spread I used on the other team last week, the wallbreaker spread that KOs Quag and Pyuku in just 2 EQs to make them ineffective at checking my boosting Rhyperior. Rhyperior also serves it's usual purpose of checking various fast megas that hyper offense can struggle with like Pidgeot and Manectric. The first new member of this team compared to last week is Gengar, which uses the absolutely disgusting sub set that breaks every team lacking a Muk or other meaty special wall. This set very much appreciates the momentum that a Hyper Offense team enforces, potentially getting multiple kills out the gate if my opponent makes a mistake that would give it freedom. We also have Houndoom here. It does it's usual thing, very softly checking Scizors, nasty plotting up, breaking bulkier teams, just houndoom things. We have Latias as another effective booster. It's the classic dragonium set, CMing on whatever it can and threatening any team with a weakened steel or no steel. I do enjoy this mon a great deal. Lastly, we have Scizor. Scizor is just an absolutely basic SD set. It can sweep a weakened team with ease, and also battle enemy Latias if needed. I hope you like the team! I have a few Rhyperior teams, but I like my SD Rhyp HOs so I figured I'd post my other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)