Underrated NU Movesets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hi, i'd like to do a second iteration of this since it's been a little while since the last one. i'm aiming to get a good 5-6 sets in and be just as thorough as the last one (here).

fellow nu players can certainly be critical about these sets, but i've played and used some of them extensively for upwards of a month now. as far as organization, i'm probably going to give a brief description on what the pokemon's "primary" role in NU is (or what it's commonly known to do), and then explain why the set i'm giving is just as good if not better than the popular sets, as well as a few in-game examples where each set would be most effective. i'll cap off each section with a description of the set's flaws + ideal teammates / playstyle as well as variants to help it fit your team, etc. i'd like to imagine this to be a pretty thorough, well-written article.

right now these are listed in order of how likely i am to include them in the article; haunter would probably be my preferred pokemon to have art of because i'll have a buttload to say about it, but any of the first four (or whatever i ultimately end up writing about) will probably do, since i'm not sure if i'll include the last two yet.

- mention how musharna is the most dominant poke, a lot of new sets have emerged. probably spend a bit explaining the role of musharna on a team and how this set will differentiate itself from cm + signal beam & twave/cm + baton pass
- excellent bulky pivot, as mushy can paralyze something (skuntank) and set up a reflect to make it easier on the switch-in
-
- haunter's gained a lot of popularity since the beginning of spl, and it's well-deserved
- choice variants, lo variants, all sorts of stuff have been popping up
- destiny bond was / is what's expected now, a definite shift from the old sub + disable (and i can make a brief reference to cb sawk struggles breaking subs here lol)
- eviolite adds some unexpected bulk, making it a solid check to some popular offensive mons like sawsbuck
- wisp is most definitely "rare", but nearly all common switch-ins to haunter hate being burned and can easily be taken advantage of by other pokemon.
- water-types like samurott will probably make for very good partners, since evio haunter poses a pretty solid check to grass-types and sd rott can set up on burned piloswine / skuntank, etc
other suggestions received: cm drifblim w/ dbond, subsplit rotom-a (i'll talk partly about the advantages of both formes here, if i do this one)

i also have a few others but i'd like to keep them quiet until i find out whether or not i'm playing FLCL for SPL finals, after which i can write about them anyway. :P

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If we let you do this, this would be your absolute last shot with writing for The Smog. Would you expect to finish for Issue #26? Or the issue after that?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
26. It'll get done.

Edit: I can delay it to 27 if that would make you more comfortable with it.

Additional edit: With the tiering shifts in place, what I have written for this already is kind of null and void (at least a few sets are). I'd like to revisit this with issue 27, if that's okay with you guys. I'm assuming you don't want me to write this for 26 anyways. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)