Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Battle Mechanics Research (Read Post #2)

Throat Chop doesn't block Clangorous Soulblaze. What about Z-Status moves such as Roar or Parting Shot?
I guess it's pretty safe to assume there's no way to prevent a Z-Move from being executed (seeing that things like Taunt or Encore do nothing on status Z-Moves)... but as always, it's Game Freak so checking should be considered at all times.

It's pretty easy to run a test here involving E4 Kahili: A-Persian switched into a Throat Chop from Hawlucha, but was still able to use Z-Parting Shot afterwards (even though regular Parting Shot was disabled), and the move still had its full effect.

Bulbapedia also says that Heal Block doesn't stop the use of Z boosted healing moves or their healing effect, or the healing effect from moves like Z-Haze, and that's not implemented on PS either. Can someone confirm that?

It's been proved several times that Z moves are impossible to prevent from executing by any means, so it's not a new mechanic at all honestly

Unfortunately not, Truant you can't skip in any way other than suppressing the ability :P

Same for , say, Outrage or Thrash, you can't do other actions in the turns they are being spammed on, since you don't actually even get to select a move.

Since Parting Shot no longer switches the user out of it failed to lower the opponent's stats, can you test wether Defog still clears hazards if the opponent's evasion couldn't be lowered due to clear body or being already at -6/+6 if contrary?

It's been proved several times that Z moves are impossible to prevent from executing by any means, so it's not a new mechanic at all honestly
Inferno Overdrive is blocked by Powder, Primordial Sea or Flash Fire. So yes, there are exceptions. The trouble is finding them. This is particularly hard for me as I don't have the game and have to rely on YouTube videos or helpful contributors such as SadisticMystic for information.
It's pretty easy to run a test here involving E4 Kahili: A-Persian switched into a Throat Chop from Hawlucha, but was still able to use Z-Parting Shot afterwards (even though regular Parting Shot was disabled), and the move still had its full effect.
Thank you!
Bulbapedia also says that Heal Block doesn't stop the use of Z boosted healing moves or their healing effect, or the healing effect from moves like Z-Haze, and that's not implemented on PS either. Can someone confirm that?
Also, another potential edge case: Z-Magnet Rise while under the effect of Gravity.

Inferno Overdrive is blocked by Powder, Primordial Sea or Flash Fire. .
I think you are mistaken there.

Those moves do not block the Z-move from executing, merely negate the effect.

In exactly similar fashion as, say, Z-Taunting an Aroma Veil Aromatisse would fail, or attempting to Gigavolt Havoc a ground type would be ineffective, or using a Prankster Z-move against a Dark type would fail.

The move still executes, and potential secondary effects on the user would still apply even though the move will fail. (For example, attempting to use Z-Taunt on said Aromatisse would still give +1 attack to the user despite the Taunt failing right after)

You can't in any way prevent a Z-move from executing, but that doesn't mean you can't flat out block the effect with immunityes or similar effects.

Edit: Bulbapedia is actually pretty clear on this subject:
Z-Moves may be used without regard to the effects of Taunt, Torment, Disable, Encore, Imprison, and Heal Block; however, the Pokémon never has an opportunity to select a Z-Move if it is forced to use Struggle (e.g. if it is affected by Taunt and only knows status moves). Even if the target of Z-Heal Pulse or Z-Floral Healing is affected by Heal Block, that Pokémon's HP is restored. Status Z-Moves can be used without regard to the effects of Gravity, but Gravity will still cause them to fail after applying their Z-Power effect (e.g. Z-Magnet Rise will raise the user's evasion but then fail).
Even if a status Z-Move fails, it still applies its Z-Power effect. Z-Moves are affected normally by Powder and weather. Weather-changing moves turned into Z-Moves (except Defog) will disappear as usual during heavy rain, extremely harsh sunlight, and a mysterious air current, but will apply their Z-Power effects regardless.
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Z-Move

Last edited:
So although it fails to mention Throat Chop at all, it does back up what I said about Z-Moves being affected normally by Powder and weather...
It likely is not updated to Throat Chop just yet, since before USUM it was a signature move of Incineroar only available to Weavile as Breed move.

I think you are kind of misunderstanding what it means though.
The move always gets cast, no matter what conditions are. THEN the effect can be negated, but the move itself can't be prevented.
So, in case of Powde for exampler, a damaging Zmove would fail right after the animation and damage the user, while a status Z-move, say Z-Sunny day, would give the +1 speed and then explode.

I'd not be surprised if Throat Chop in similar way also doesn't prevent a damaging Z-move off a sound move to trigger (say Z-Hyper Voice, since damaging Z-moves aren't sound based), and would still allow the Z effect for, say, Z-sing to trigger but the Sing would fail.

It likely is not updated to Throat Chop just yet, since before USUM it was a signature move of Incineroar only available to Weavile as Breed move.

I think you are kind of misunderstanding what it means though.
The move always gets cast, no matter what conditions are. THEN the effect can be negated, but the move itself can't be prevented.
So, in case of Powde for exampler, a damaging Zmove would fail right after the animation and damage the user, while a status Z-move, say Z-Sunny day, would give the +1 speed and then explode.

I'd not be surprised if Throat Chop in similar way also doesn't prevent a damaging Z-move off a sound move to trigger (say Z-Hyper Voice, since damaging Z-moves aren't sound based), and would still allow the Z effect for, say, Z-sing to trigger but the Sing would fail.
I'd suggest it's not that simple if, say, Heal Pulse still heals things affected by Heal Block. That's unambiguously an effect of the move itself, but it still ignores something that prevents it from happening.

How does this mechanic work with Z-Geomancy? Would it be first turn can't be stopped but second turn can?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
I'd suggest it's not that simple if, say, Heal Pulse still heals things affected by Heal Block. That's unambiguously an effect of the move itself, but it still ignores something that prevents it from happening.

How does this mechanic work with Z-Geomancy? Would it be first turn can't be stopped but second turn can?
From Bulbapedia:
If the user is under the effect of Taunt, Z-Geomancy's initial stat-boosting effect as well as its charging turn will execute normally, but the move will fail after the charging turn.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Confirmed; I tested both Z-Haze and Z-Synthesis, and neither the primary Z-effect (in the case of Haze) nor the regular status move (in the case of Synthesis) were prevented. They both execute as normal. If Z-Copycat is used and calls a move blocked by Heal Block, the user still gets the +1 accuracy Z-effect as normal, the move is attempted to be used, then the standard "<Pokemon> can't use <healing move> because of Heal Block!" is displayed.

Also just wanted to add that attempting to Heal Block twice has a slightly different fail message - "But it failed to affect <Pokemon>!" is displayed. Additionally, this message is displayed for both Pokemon in a double battle.

Just had a Kangaskhan (summoned by a Cubone) SOS summon a Cubone. iirc this wasn't supposed to be possible?* Or is it just a Kangaskhan thing? (Someone should test with Mareanie/Sableye/Happiny; I can't do this yet since I'm not far enough in the game to buy Adrenaline Orbs)

This has no competitive implications but can be useful for stuff like getting Regenerator Mareanie and Prankster Sableye.

*From Serebii: "If you knock out the original Pokémon and the new Pokémon isn't part of the same evolution line, then no more Pokémon will be called"

Just had a Kangaskhan (summoned by a Cubone) SOS summon a Cubone. iirc this wasn't supposed to be possible?* Or is it just a Kangaskhan thing? (Someone should test with Mareanie/Sableye/Happiny; I can't do this yet since I'm not far enough in the game to buy Adrenaline Orbs)

This has no competitive implications but can be useful for stuff like getting Regenerator Mareanie and Prankster Sableye.

*From Serebii: "If you knock out the original Pokémon and the new Pokémon isn't part of the same evolution line, then no more Pokémon will be called"
I think you have to consider kanga as a "family member" of Cubone: if you look at the "S.O.S. calling" slot in the Serebii's Dex for Mareanie, you'll see the phrase "Can't call S.O.S. partners", whereas in the Kanga's "S.O.S. calling" slot there's written "Rare". Maybe because you can find a Kanga in the wild, unlike the others. Also, if I remember well, there were legends of cubone being the kanga's grown child, and this could be a reminiscence.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I've been doing research on how the game chains Speed modifiers over the past week or so, and I stumbled into some tricky situations that quite frankly seem mathematically inconsistent. I need help, because I'm stuck. All of my testing was done between copies of USUM version 1.1. I did not do any datamining.

To remove some variance from testing, instead of testing against Speed ties, I primarily used the move Electro Ball to distinguish between a point in Speed, especially between base 120 power and base 80 power. I used the BW damage formula guide for these calculations (essentially floor(userSpeed/targetSpeed) with a lookup table). I made sure to do testing with Electro Ball as a move to make sure it was consistent, too.

Here is the tl;dr version of the results of my tests:
  1. Speed boosts / drops are floored (like we know from previously linked damage formula article)
  2. Pledge Swamp is pokeRounded (rounds down on 0.5, rounds up on x>0.5)
  3. Choice Scarf is calculated after boosts / drops
  4. Tailwind is calculated after boosts / drops
  5. Scarf is either calculated at the same time or after Tailwind
  6. Paralysis is calculated before Tailwind (note: this is wrong, see second edit)
  7. Choice Scarf and Quick Feet are pokeRounded in the same step
  8. Paralysis and boosts / drops are either calculated simultaneously, or boosts / drops are calculated, then paralysis
  9. Tailwind is either calculated at the same time or before Scarf / Quick Feet
  10. 2x Weather Abilities and Surge Surfer are either calculated at the same time or before Scarf / Quick Feet
  11. Unburden / Quick Powder are either calculated at the same time or before Pledge Swamp
  12. Choice Scarf and Slow Start are calculated in the same step
  13. Quick Feet, Iron Ball, and Power items are calculated in the same step
This means that Choice Scarf, Quick Feet, Slow Start, Iron Ball, and Power items are definitely calculated together with a pokeRound in the same step.

Before, I assumed the Speed formula would look something like this based on my tests: pokeRound(Floor(x*paralysis*boostsOrDrops)*allOtherSpeedModifiers)
where x is the Pokemon's initial raw Speed (e.g. Adamant Landorus-T with 252 Speed EVs, 31 Speed IVs, at level 50 is 143).

However, in doing proofs of concept, I was testing a Bulbasaur with 97 Speed, -5, paralyzed, and holding a Choice Scarf. I expected the result to be 19.
pokeRound(Floor(97*0.5*2/7)*1.5)
= pokeRound(Floor(13.85714...)*1.5)
= pokeRound(13*1.5)
= pokeRound(19.5)
= 19

It turns out that the result was actually 20. This wouldn't be possible with my formula, as obtaining 20 is impossible normally for a Choice Scarf Pokemon (20/1.5=13.33333, and a Pokemon can't start with decimals as a stat prior to a step). Removing the Choice Scarf yielded an expected 13 Speed stat. Jibaku suggested that paralysis could potentially be pokeRounded rather than floored (in previous generations when paralysis was 0.75x rather than 0.5x, paralysis was floored). His suggestion implies that 1) paralysis and Choice Scarf are calculated together (if Choice Scarf was by itself here, it couldn't ever reach 20, like I mentioned before) and 2) that paralysis is calculated after boosts / drops. This would be how to represent it as a formula:

pokeRound(Floor(x*boostsOrDrops)*paralysis*allOtherSpeedModifiers)
pokeRound(Floor(97*2/7)*0.5*1.5)
= pokeRound(Floor(27.714...)*0.5*1.5)
= pokeRound(27*0.5*1.5)
= pokeRound(20.25)
= 20

However, the first implication of this assumption is contradictory to 5. and 6. from my testing. If paralysis and Choice Scarf are calculated in the same step, from 5. that implies Tailwind must come before paralysis. However, we know from 6. Tailwind must come after paralysis, giving a contradiction. As a result, Jibaku's formula cannot be accurate, unfortunately. This is basically where I'm at.

Below is my original research that I did. I've double checked my work, so I don't think the data's the issue here, but if you find a problem with my math or tests that reconciles my issues, let me know.

• Tailwind (2x)
  • Chlorophyll / Swift Swim / Sand Rush / Slush Rush (2x)
  • Surge Surfer (2x)
  • Unburden (2x)
  • Quick Feet (ignores para Speed drop) (1.5x)
  • Slow Start (0.5x)
  • Iron Ball / Power Items (0.5x)
  • Paralysis (0.5x)
  • Speed drops / increases (2/8, 2/7, 2/6, 2/5, 2/4, 2/3, 2/2, 3/2, 4/2, 5/2, 6/2, 7/2, 8/2)
  • (1/4, 2/7, 1/3, 2/5, 1/2, 2/3, 1, 3/2, 2, 5/2, 3, 7/2, 4)
  • Choice Scarf (1.5x)
  • Quick Powder (2x if Ditto and not Transformed)
  • Pledge swamp (0.25x)

Here are my tests. See beginning of post for Electro Ball data. By target, I mean "target of Electro Ball", not some kind of goal.

1. Increases / decreases (+6 to -6)

Electro Ball mon Speed: 113
Target Speed: 151
Target modifiers: -6
Electro Ball BP: 120
Implied Speed stat: 37
Implication of test: Boosts / drops are floored.

2. Pledge Swamp

Target Speed: 151 and 150
Target modifiers: Pledge Swamp
Electro Ball BP: 80 for 151 Speed and 120 for 150 Speed
Implied Speed stat: 38 for 151 Speed and 37 for 150 Speed
Implication of test: Pledge Swamp is pokeRounded.

All other Speed modifiers need to be tested alongside other modifiers to be meaningful, as floor(0.5) and pokeRound(0.5) are equivalent.

3. Increases / decreases with Choice Scarf

Target Speed: 38
Target modifiers: -1, Choice Scarf
Implied Speed stat: 37
Implication of test: Increases / decreases are calculated before Choice Scarf with certainty. Could be:

Floor(Floor(x*2/3)*1.5) OR pokeRound(Floor(x*2/3)*1.5)

4. Increases / decreases with Tailwind

Electro Ball mon Speed: 152
Target Speed: 17
Target modifiers: +1, Tailwind
Implied Speed stat: 50
Implication of test: Increases / decreases must be calculated before Tailwind with certainty. Could be:
Floor(Floor(x*1.5)*2) OR pokeRound(Floor(x*1.5)*2)

5. Choice Scarf with Tailwind

Target Speed: 17
Target modifiers: Choice Scarf, Tailwind
Electro Ball BP: 80
Implied Speed stat: 51
Implication of test: Choice Scarf must not be calculated before Tailwind with certainty. It could be at the same time, or Scarf could be calculated afterwards. Could be:
Floor(Floor(x*2)*1.5) OR Floor(pokeRound(x*2)*1.5) OR pokeRound(Floor(x*2)*1.5) OR pokeRound(pokeRound(x*2)*1.5) OR Floor(x*2*1.5) OR pokeRound(x*2*1.5)

6. Paralysis with Tailwind (note: this is wrong, see second edit)

Target Speed: 51
Target modifiers: Paralysis, Tailwind
Implied Speed stat: 50
Implication of test: Paralysis is calculated before Tailwind with certainty. Could be:

Floor(Floor(x*0.5)*2) OR Floor(pokeRound(x*0.5)*2) OR pokeRound(Floor(x*0.5)*2) OR pokeRound(pokeRound(x*0.5)*2)

7. Choice Scarf with Quick Feet

Electro Ball mon Speed: 261
Target Speed: 39
Target modifiers: Choice Scarf, Quick Feet
Implied Speed stat: 88
Implication of test: Choice Scarf and Quick Feet must be calculated in the same step, and the entire step must be pokeRounded. Must be:

pokeRound(x*1.5*1.5)

8. Increases / decreases with paralysis

Electro Ball mon Speed: 129
Target Speed: 59
Target modifiers: +1, paralysis
Implied Speed stat: 44
Implication of test: Paralysis must not be calculated before increases / decreases. Could be:
Floor(x*0.5*boost or drop) OR Floor(Floor(x*boost or drop)*0.5) OR pokeRound(Floor(x*boost or drop)*0.5)

As an aside, Stats proved that these first two formulas are equivalent (the third is also technically equivalent mathematically).

9. Scarf + Quick Feet + Tailwind (NOTE: I was compared 60 to 80 BP for Electro Ball on this one)

Electro Ball mon Speed: 350
Target modifiers: Choice Scarf, Quick Feet, Tailwind
Implied Speed stat: 175
Implication of test: Tailwind must not be calculated in a different step after Choice Scarf and Quick Feet. Tailwind could be calculated before or at the same time as Choice Scarf / Quick Feet. Could be:

pokeRound(x*2*1.5*1.5) OR pokeRound((x*2)*1.5*1.5)

10. Scarf + Chlorophyll / Swift Swim / Sand Rush / Slush Rush / Surge Surfer

Electro Ball mon Speed: 348
Target modifiers: appropriate 2x multiplier + Choice Scarf
Electro Ball BP: 80 for all (tested all)
Implied Speed stat: 117
Implication of test: These 2x multipliers must not be calculated in a different step after Choice Scarf. 2x multiplies could be calculated before or at the same time as Choice Scarf. Could be:

pokeRound(x*2*1.5) OR pokeRound((x*2)*1.5)

11. Pledge Swamp + Unburden / Quick Powder

Electro Ball mon Speed: 150
Target Speed: 102
Target modifiers: Pledge Swamp and Unburden / Pledge Swamp and Quick Powder
Electro Ball BP: 80 for both (tested both)
Implied Speed stat: 51
Implication of test: Unburden / Quick Powder must not be calculated in a different step after Pledge Swamp. Unburden / Quick Powder could be calculated before or at the same time as Pledge Swamp. Could be:

pokeRound(x*2*0.25) OR pokeRound((x*2)*0.25)

12. Choice Scarf and Slow Start

Electro Ball mon Speed: 117
Target Speed: 53
Target modifiers: Choice Scarf, Slow Start
Implied Speed stat: 40
Implication of test: Choice Scarf and Slow Start must be calculated in the same step. Must be:

pokeRound(x*1.5*0.5)

13. Quick Feet and Iron Ball / Power items

Electro Ball mon Speed: 117
Target Speed: 53
Target modifiers: Quick Feet / Iron Ball and Quick Feet / Power Anklet
Electro Ball BP: 80 for both (tested both)
Implied Speed stat: 40
Implication of test: Quick Feet, Iron Ball, and Power items must be calculated in the same step. Must be:

pokeRound(x*1.5*0.5)

Any help or thoughts is appreciated! A big possibility is that Game Freak screwed up somewhere for this, which makes the researcher's job harder, but I want to be certain that my -5 paralyzed Choice Scarf 97 Speed Bulbasaur phenomenon has no other way of reaching 20 Speed that does not conflict with my tests.

EDIT 1/4/18: I did some more tests, this time with Speed ties.
  • Paralyzed + Choice Scarf 101 Speed tied with 75 Speed
  • Paralyzed + Choice Scarf 103 Speed tied with 77 Speed
This implies it was calculated either floor(x * 0.5 * 1.5) OR floor(pokeRound(x * 1.5) * 0.5). Because we know Choice Scarf is pokeRounded, it's a safe assumption that the first formula isn't correct. This notably implies paralysis is calculated after Choice Scarf.
  • -5 paralyzed Choice Scarf 97 Speed in Tailwind tied with 40 Speed
Nothing too unexpected here.
  • Pledge Swamp + Choice Scarf 101 Speed tied with 38 Speed
  • Pledge Swamp + Choice Scarf 103 Speed tied with 39 Speed
This implies Pledge Swamp and Choice Scarf are calculated in the same step, then pokeRounded (if you try to calculate with either one first and pokeRound, it contradicts the results of both tests).
  • Pledge Swamp + Choice Scarf + paralysis 100 Speed tied with 18 Speed
This is only possible with floor(pokeRound(x * 0.25 * 1.5) * 0.5). This should make sense given the previous tests; if Choice Scarf is calculated in the same step as Pledge Swamp, and paralysis is calculated after Pledge Swamp, then paralysis should be applied in a step after Pledge Swamp and Choice Scarf.
  • Tailwind + Choice Scarf + paralysis 100 Speed tied with 150 Speed
  • Tailwind + Choice Scarf + paralysis 101 Speed tied with 151 Speed
  • Tailwind + Choice Scarf + paralysis 102 Speed tied with 153 Speed
  • Tailwind + Choice Scarf + paralysis 103 Speed tied with 154 Speed

Edit 1/5/18: I think I figured it out.

I suspected that something was fishy after doing the last tests with para + TW + scarf together (I couldn't come up with an explanation for it given my previous tests, which is why I left it without a description). It seemed to be a contradiction; paralysis was before Tailwind, and Tailwind was same time or before Choice Scarf, and my new test showed Choice Scarf was before paralysis, creating a contradiction. As such, I double checked the paralysis + Tailwind interaction, and it turns out I was wrong the first time due to human error.
  • Tailwind + paralysis with 19 Speed tied with 19 Speed
  • Tailwind + paralysis with 51 Speed tied with 51 Speed
  • 150 Speed Electro Ball vs. Tailwind + paralysis with 51 Speed was 80 BP
  • 152 Speed Electro Ball vs. Tailwind + paralysis with 51 Speed was 80 BP
This means that, due to human error, my number 6 was wrong. This is especially notable because it solves the contradiction. Tailwind must either be calculated at the same time or prior to paralysis, not afterwards.

pokeRound(pokeRound(x*2)*0.5) OR floor(pokeRound(x*2)*0.5) OR pokeRound(floor(x*2)*0.5) OR floor(floor(x*2)*0.5) OR pokeRound(pokeRound(x*2)*0.5) OR pokeRound(x*2*0.5) OR floor(x*2*0.5)

Now all of my data up to this point is consistent with this formula:
floor(pokeRound(floor(x*boosts/drops)*everythingElse)*para)

It is possible that Tailwind / Swift Swim are calculated in a different step prior to Choice Scarf, etc. but because any whole number multiplied by 2 is still a whole number, it's mathematically equivalent to just lump in everything all at once. I'm also pleased that this was consistent with the 97 Speed Bulbasaur results!

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So while testing some mostly unrelated mechanics on cart, I discovered a fun little tidbit about Mirror Move in doubles - namely that if you use Mirror Move on your ally you copy their move and use it on them, regardless of who that pokemon targeted. This has potentially (?) interesting competitive applications, or at the very least will have a bunch of sites have to change the way they write their description for Mirror Move ("Uses the last move that hit the user" isn't quite accurate anymore).

The battle video shows what I mean fairly well, turn 1 was simply to verify that self targeting moves won't be copied (also tried it on a couple others), but on turn 2 Mimikyu used Charm on the opponent and Oricoro Mirror Moved it to use it on Mimikyu, as well as on turn 3 Mimikyu used Shadow Sneak on the opposing Incineroar while Oricoro's Mirror Move fired a Shadow Sneak that broke Mimikyu's disguise.

Battle Video: JFVW-WWWW-WWWE-CXAZ

E: I'm happy to report that it's better than I expected - apparently in doubles as long as you target a Pokemon (ally or opponent) who uses a mirrorable move the Mirror Move will execute and use that move. Basically, if your opponent attacks your teammate, a Mirror Move targetted at them will still use their move right back at them.

Battle Video for this (see turn 3): 6X5W-WWWW-WWWE-C2UX

Last edited:
So while testing some mostly unrelated mechanics on cart, I discovered a fun little tidbit about Mirror Move in doubles - namely that if you use Mirror Move on your ally you copy their move and use it on them, regardless of who that pokemon targeted. This has potentially (?) interesting competitive applications, or at the very least will have a bunch of sites have to change the way they write their description for Mirror Move ("Uses the last move that hit the user" isn't quite accurate anymore).

The battle video shows what I mean fairly well, turn 1 was simply to verify that self targeting moves won't be copied (also tried it on a couple others), but on turn 2 Mimikyu used Charm on the opponent and Oricoro Mirror Moved it to use it on Mimikyu, as well as on turn 3 Mimikyu used Shadow Sneak on the opposing Incineroar while Oricoro's Mirror Move fired a Shadow Sneak that broke Mimikyu's disguise.

Battle Video: JFVW-WWWW-WWWE-CXAZ

E: I'm happy to report that it's better than I expected - apparently in doubles as long as you target a Pokemon (ally or opponent) who uses a mirrorable move the Mirror Move will execute and use that move. Basically, if your opponent attacks your teammate, a Mirror Move targetted at them will still use their move right back at them.

Battle Video for this (see turn 3): 6X5W-WWWW-WWWE-C2UX
How was that not properly documented? That's how Mirror Move works since Gen 5.

Oh well, judging by the Likes, since that surprised a good amount of people, let me add something. The Mirror Move'd move is used against the specified Target only if the copied move was a single target attack. Earthquake attacks all Pokémon unsurprisingly, but attacks that hit both opponents (like Rock Slide, Muddy Water...) are still executed against the enemies, even if the target of Mirror Move was the allied Pokémon. This might also be the reason why Me First is the only single target move that doesn't include the ally.

There's a minor quirk with the relation between Encore, Prankster and the Dark type immunity that the Simulator doesn't entirely re-create.

On cartridge: When a Prankster Pokemon Selects a regular attacking move, but is forced to use a status move by Encore before it gets to use the attacking move, the status move will be completely unaffected by Prankster, so it works on a dark type.
Proof:

On the simulator: The dark type is immune to the satus move in the previously mentioned situation as seen on turn 2 in this battle: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen72v2doubles-716326829 (replay is courtesy of The First Letter of the Alphabet#5160 on discord, who also initially wanted this mechanic to be tested in-game in the first place).

I haven't studied the code of the game or PS, but to me it seems like in-game, Prankster is activated at the beginning of a turn if the user selects a status move, then a dark type just checks if prankster is being activated before the move hits them. While on PS, it checks for whether the attacker has prankster and is using a status move as it is being attacked.
In light of this, can someone test whether a Pokémon with Prankster using Magic Coat to bounce a status move back to a Dark type still results in the dark type being immune to the move if another Pokémon uses Skill Swap on the Magic Coat user before the Dark type uses the status move, and what happens if the Magic Coat user uses Magic Coat without Prankster, but has the ability given to it mid-turn? I suspect that perhaps the reason that Dark type Pokémon are immune to moves bounced by a Prankster Magic Coat is that the moves are being called by a Prankster-boosted move (Magic Coat), and not because they’re being used by a Pokémon whose current ability is Prankster. For reference, here’s a replay showing how PS handles this situation: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublescustomgame-716438118

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)