Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Since Shuckle is now UR on the Viability Rankings, would that mean its OU analysis should be deleted? Apologies if I'm incorrect; I saw a couple pages back Stakataka's and Zeraora's analyses were deleted for a similar instance due to them being UR.

On Bisharp's analysis, Smeargle is mentioned in Team Options despite being unranked, same with Breloom (lol) in Checks and Counters. They should be removed imo, but I guess the whole analysis is outdated so idk really.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
For Keldeo's analysis:
Bulky Water-types such as Toxapex, Mantine, Tapu Fini, and Slowbro all resist Keldeo's STAB attacks and can either status Keldeo or hit it super effectively with their STAB attacks.
I would add "However, Toxapex, Mantine, and non-Psyshock Slowbro will lose 1v1 to Keldeo if it is carrying Taunt."

Reactions: gum
On Bisharp's analysis, Smeargle is mentioned in Team Options despite being unranked, same with Breloom (lol) in Checks and Counters. They should be removed imo, but I guess the whole analysis is outdated so idk really.
I'm leaving this for now but i will say that it will probably get a large overhaul.

For Keldeo's analysis:

I would add "However, Toxapex, Mantine, and non-Psyshock Slowbro will lose 1v1 to Keldeo if it is carrying Taunt."
I've added this.

Just wondering if it would be worth mentioning metronome as an option on TornTs analysis, I havnt used it myself, but I'v seen it built into quite a few teams for a while now and seems a cool way of pressure fat mons like Pex and Clef that want to stay in. I guess it works by defogging then spamming.

Team examples:
DKM
Creator of Chaos

Just wondering if it would be worth mentioning metronome as an option on TornTs analysis, I havnt used it myself, but I'v seen it built into quite a few teams for a while now and seems a cool way of pressure fat mons like Pex and Clef that want to stay in. I guess it works by defogging then spamming.

Team examples:
DKM
Creator of Chaos
Life fucking Orb in Other Options and Metronome isn't lol. Yeah I'll just discuss with QC where to put it (either Set Details or Other Options) and I'll add it when I can ^^

I was looking at the Smogdex for ideas for teams, and I noticed some little things that need to be fixed:
  • On Latias analysis on Smogdex, Levitate is stated to be Latias' only ability three times (Set details for each set).
  • On Latios' Offensive set (the Z-Move one): "Maximum Special Attack investment lets Latios hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Latios to outrun Keldeo, Garchomp, Manaphy, Kyurem-B, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard X and Y and tie with positive-nature base 110 Speed Pokemon like Gengar and opposing Latios. Levitate is Latios's only ability and provides it with an immunity to Ground-type attacks." This entire part of the paragraph is redundant.
  • On Pinsir's Team Options, Tornadus-T isn't listed as a potential Defogger, while Latios is. Also, Flyinium Dragonite is listed as a teammate able to lure Steela, Zapdos, etc. I suggest to replace Dnite with Garchomp, since Rockium Z is a more consistent threat overall.
  • On Skarmory's analysis: "Calm Mind Blissey forms a very similar core with Skarmory, [...]." "ther Pokemon that are able to take on special attackers like Tapu Lele, Gengar, and Ash-Greninja." I think that CM Blissey part should be removed or replaced by another wincon commonly found on stall, while Gengar can be replaced by Blacephalon.
  • On Serperior's analysis: "Offense staples such as Magearna and Mega Medicham are prime partners for Serperior, as they pressure Heatran [...]" I suggest to replace Magearna for either Tyranitar or Garchomp.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
On Latias analysis on Smogdex, Levitate is stated to be Latias' only ability three times (Set details for each set).
this analysis was made before we starting cutting out this kinda stuff and we're slowly applying it to onsite stuff
On Latios' Offensive set (the Z-Move one): "Maximum Special Attack investment lets Latios hit as hard as possible. Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature allows Latios to outrun Keldeo, Garchomp, Manaphy, Kyurem-B, Mega Medicham, and Mega Charizard X and Y and tie with positive-nature base 110 Speed Pokemon like Gengar and opposing Latios. Levitate is Latios's only ability and provides it with an immunity to Ground-type attacks." This entire part of the paragraph is redundant.
same here
  • On Pinsir's Team Options, Tornadus-T isn't listed as a potential Defogger, while Latios is. Also, Flyinium Dragonite is listed as a teammate able to lure Steela, Zapdos, etc. I suggest to replace Dnite with Garchomp, since Rockium Z is a more consistent threat overall.
  • On Skarmory's analysis: "Calm Mind Blissey forms a very similar core with Skarmory, [...]." "ther Pokemon that are able to take on special attackers like Tapu Lele, Gengar, and Ash-Greninja." I think that CM Blissey part should be removed or replaced by another wincon commonly found on stall, while Gengar can be replaced by Blacephalon.
some of these are getting revamps sometime soon because they were written years ago (evidently)
On Serperior's analysis: "Offense staples such as Magearna and Mega Medicham are prime partners for Serperior, as they pressure Heatran [...]" I suggest to replace Magearna for either Tyranitar or Garchomp.
this is fine, gears can either volt out to slowly chip at it and force it to take more hazards, focus for damage on offensive variants etc

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
From black sludge Amoonguss

"56 Defense EVs allow Amoonguss to survive a +2 Smart Strike from Kartana."

What's the point of this, given that Smart Strike is not even slashed on the sd set?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I was pointed here after asking a question about it in the OU SQSA thread:

I'd like to propose adding Groundium Z+Dig to (Protean) Greninja's analysis, either as its own set or slashed as a potential item/move for the Fightinium Z set that already exists. Groundium baits in and proceeds to obliterate Magearna (guaranteed OHKO on all viable variants) and Toxapex (75% chance to OHKO SpDef variants from full HP), which are generally very popular answers to other Greninja sets including Ash-Greninja. It also maintains most of Low Kick's coverage (hitting Heatran and TTar should it be deemed necessary) barring missing out on the damage against Celesteela though the risk-reward is very different since Dig is a lot less spammable than Low Kick.

Felixx

I'm back.
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I was pointed here after asking a question about it in the OU SQSA thread:

I'd like to propose adding Groundium Z+Dig to (Protean) Greninja's analysis, either as its own set or slashed as a potential item/move for the Fightinium Z set that already exists. Groundium baits in and proceeds to obliterate Magearna (guaranteed OHKO on all viable variants) and Toxapex (75% chance to OHKO SpDef variants from full HP), which are generally very popular answers to other Greninja sets including Ash-Greninja. It also maintains most of Low Kick's coverage (hitting Heatran and TTar should it be deemed necessary) barring missing out on the damage against Celesteela though the risk-reward is very different since Dig is a lot less spammable than Low Kick.
As the writer of the Physically Based Protean Gren set, I've gotta inform you that despite no move/item slashing visible, Dig is already mentioned in the move options and Groundium Z is discussed in set details, so this suggestion is largely unnecessary.

Very minor but since Avalugg was brought was brought up in the VR thread once more and it's still ranked, the listed analysis has 88 Attack EVs for the purpose of OHKOing Mega Pinsir post-Mega with an unboosted Avalanche. Thing is, the item listed is Rocky Helmet, and even with 0 Attack investment, Avalugg has a 62.5% chance to OHKO Mega Pinsir, which combined with Rocky Helmet chip is...always (since +2 Earthquake bounces off).

Even with 0 Attack investment, you don't miss out on 2HKO'ing Mega Mawile with EQ, and about the only notable thing the 88 Attack EVs does is raise your chance of OHKOing the defensive Lefties Landorus-T set with Avalanche from 50% to 87.5%.

Meanwhile, with 252/252 investment, Mega Medicham's Fake Out+HJK turns into a roll that's about 50/50 to KO you, and other stuff becomes minor 50/50s. Nothing major, but it's likely better spent than 88 points in Attack.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Would it be beneficial to give the standard Scizor spread 200 speed points (248 HP / 188 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe) in order to outpace Adamant Mega Mawile?

Would it be beneficial to give the standard Scizor spread 200 speed EVs (248 HP / 188 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe) in order to outpace Mega Mawile?
Mega Mawile rarely runs max speed the added bulk is very important for threats like Mega Alakazam and Kartana. You could probably do this in a team more weak to Mega Mawile and it's probably a benchmark worth considering for Set Details, but I wouldn't like it as the main set, honestly.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Mega Mawile rarely runs max speed the added bulk is very important for threats like Mega Alakazam and Kartana. You could probably do this in a team more weak to Mega Mawile and it's probably a benchmark worth considering for Set Details, but I wouldn't like it as the main set, honestly.
Scizor's defense stat is already sky-high. It doesn't seem like the extra EVs make much of a difference:

252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 73-86 (21.2 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Scizor-Mega: 75-89 (21.8 - 25.9%) -- 3.8% chance to 4HKO

I thought it would be worth doing this for consistency, considering we EV both Tyranitar/Venusaur to hit 200 right now (we actually invest 168 EVs into speed for Tyranitar, which presumably misses out a whole lot more on bulk than just 56 EVs).

Scizor's defense stat is already sky-high. It doesn't seem like the extra EVs make much of a difference:

252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 73-86 (21.2 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Scizor-Mega: 75-89 (21.8 - 25.9%) -- 3.8% chance to 4HKO

I thought it would be worth doing this considering we EV both Tyranitar/Venusaur to hit 200 right now (we actually invest 168 EVs into speed for Tyranitar, which presumably misses out a whole lot more on bulk than just 56 EVs).
The argumentation here with Tyranitar and Mega Venusaur is pretty poor because it depends on each Pokemon individually, so this doesn't matter. Anyway, we have discussed and will not be putting the suggested Speed EVs in Set Details and will make the main spread a lot more specially defensive for Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Magearna.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Per CB Victini’s analysis,

“Ash-Greninja is very effective at coming in after a KO or on a double switch and applying pressure with strong STAB attacks, so Ferrothorn and Magearna are good partners. Tangrowth gets a special mention for its ability to also check Ash-Greninja, which is another nuisance for Victini to deal with.”

If you couldn’t tell (I know you could), this sounds very awkward. This is probably a byproduct of removing Zygarde mentions from analyses. The latter sentence should be removed and Tangrowth should be added after Ferrothorn and Magearna.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Jordy I'm ok with the changes but I don't think the set details was fully updated. This

Do note that Superpower variants should run 136 Speed EVs to outrun Modest Magnezone. A more specially defensive spread consisting of 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD and an Impish nature is also plausible with the intent of easing the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele, as it avoids a 2HKO from Focus Blast from the former and avoids getting KOed by Focus Blast into All-Out Pummeling from the latter.
should be

Alternatively, 56 Speed EVs can be run to outpace Adamant Mega Mawile, so that Bullet Punch will go before Sucker Punch and Roost will occur prior to being attacked. Superpower variants should run 136 Speed EVs to outrun Modest Magnezone. Do note that less Special Defense investment will make it harder for Scizor to check the aforementioned threats, though.
?

Per CB Victini’s analysis,

“Ash-Greninja is very effective at coming in after a KO or on a double switch and applying pressure with strong STAB attacks, so Ferrothorn and Magearna are good partners. Tangrowth gets a special mention for its ability to also check Ash-Greninja, which is another nuisance for Victini to deal with.”

If you couldn’t tell (I know you could), this sounds very awkward. This is probably a byproduct of removing Zygarde mentions from analyses. The latter sentence should be removed and Tangrowth should be added after Ferrothorn and Magearna.
I fixed this.

bigtalk

I removed the extra mention of Special Defense investment, thanks for pointing that out. Like I said, the suggested Speed EVs will not be put in Set Details.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I think Kommo-O's overwiew needs some modifications to add its ability as a offensive Stealth Rock setter, considering that the first thing this overview mentions is its ability to work in stall teams which is quite niche (viable, but not the main reason Kommo-O is being used in OU rn) or its role in HO teams (again, not its main niche in OU)

I think Kommo-O's overwiew needs some modifications to add its ability as a offensive Stealth Rock setter, considering that the first thing this overview mentions is its ability to work in stall teams which is quite niche (viable, but not the main reason Kommo-O is being used in OU rn) or its role in HO teams (again, not its main niche in OU)
A 3 attacks rocks set is being published soon or is almost done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)