Ubers X&Y Fantasy Poll

What crazy mechanical change do you want discuss next? (READ POST FOR MORE DETAILS!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ubers X&Y Fantasy Poll

We've had fun discussing the possibilities of the Fairy type, and crazily enough, part of that rumor got confirmed! While that thread will never be closed due to that E3 bombshell, it's time to continue these series of speculation threads with the first poll, to determine what next absurd mechanical change we shall speculate about! Before you vote though, you should look at the short descriptions for each of these options that most of you have suggested to me in some form or another (although note, I may have made some slight modifications to them to make them more specific for odd cases + interest factor.) Also, the vote ends at 6 PM EST, June 21st! Also, make sure to keep PMing me ideas and bringing up more ideas to me on #Pokemon!

Just one more thing to note: While you can post why you chose a topic, don't get into too much detail about the topic's implications, save that for if the thread wins, since I don't want this thread to just become six threads in one!

Each Weather gives out two defensive boosts.
Suggested by Melee Mewtwo​

You know, it's pretty weird that Sandstorm is the only weather to grant a defensive boost (unless you count Flower Gift, but screw that). And it's only for one typing... what if all weathers gave out two defensive boosts? Here are the boosts this thread would discuss:

1. Rain gives a Special Defense boost to Water types, and a Defense boost to Grass types.

2. Sun gives a Special Defense boost to Fire types, and a Defense boost to Ground types.

3. Sand obviously still gives a Special Defense boost to Rock types, and gives a Defense boost to Steel types.

4. Since Ice is such a cursed typing, Hail will give both Defensive and Specially Defensive boosts to Ice types!

Dual Typed attacks are added.
Suggested by AJC​

This is another one from the Pokébeach rumor. Now in this case, unlike the Fairy-type, there isn't super clear info on how Dual-typed attacks work... Good thing these threads are about outlandish speculation, because I will make up rules of my own! Here they are, using the example of Aura Sphere being a Fighting / Psychic move.

1. Immunities over ride everything. So that means that Tyranitar is now immune to Aura Sphere, despite it being 4x weak to Fighting.

2. You only get one STAB. Sorry Medicham, you aren't getting a double stab from a mimic glitched Aura Sphere :P

3. Here's how resistances would work in this thread.

3A. Against Steel-types like Dialga, Aura Sphere would be neutral, since while it's weak to Fighting, it also resists Psychic! However, Metagross and Jirachi are 4x resistance to it, since they are neutral to Fighting, but 4x resist Psychic!

3B. Vs Pokémon who resist both Fighting and Psychic (like Mewtwo), they will 4x resist it! And if you got a mon that 4x resists Fighting and 2x resists Psychic, its a 8x resist. While if there was a mon that somehow 4x resists both typings, the mon freaking 16x resists the move! For the opposite direction, just reverse the outcomes: aka a mon that is both 4x weak to Psychic and 4x weak to Fighting gets screwed over by a 16x weak.

3C. Finally, 4x weaks to fighting that resist Psychic like Aggron are now 2x weak to Aura Sphere, since while Fighting is still 4x against Rock / Steel, the Psychic resists from steel downgrade it to 2x.

Move PP is replaced by Physical, Special, and Support PP.
Suggested by chaos​

In this thread idea, move PP would be a thing of the past. Instead, each Pokémon would have 10 PP for each of the 3 move categories: Physical, Special, and Support. Leppa Berry would still work as intended though! This has got to effect Stall and Offense somehow...

Stealth Rock does half its normal damage to everything.
Suggested by superstar​

You know how there are some wussy OU players who are like "BAN STEALTH ROCK, IT'S BROKEN ;_;"? Well, Ubers would never do such a thing... But lets say that Gamefreak decides to listen to them, and make Stealth Rock do half damage it does now to everything in gen 6? Aka, 4x weaks now take 25%, 2x weaks take 12.5%, neutral mons take 6.25%, 2x resists take 3.125%, and 4x resists take a measly 1.5625%.

Pokémon can max out EVs for every stat.
Suggested by Theorymon, inspired by Hackmons and Aldaron​

Let's say there's more to that bonding system in X&Y besides more hax, and gamefreak allows Pokémon that REALLY love you to max out EVs for EVERY stat, just like RBY, GSC, and Hackmons? How would this blast from the past and other metagames shake up Ubers?

Weather gets nerfed to lasting only 5 turns after a switch-in.
Suggested by Theorymon (I know having two suggestions from me is lame as hell, but you people REALLY need to PM me more ideas so I can filll up 6 new slots without myself next time!)​

A lot of people in OU like to dedicate most of their spare time to saying "WEATHER IS THE WORST THING EVER". In Ubers Land, this has been a reality since gen 3, so we really don't care. But lets say that Game Freak decides that they don't like weather anymore either, and nerfs them to only lasting 5 turns after a switch-in? And to prevent further abuse, you can't reset the countdown by just switching a Pokémon of the same weather back in, it only gets reset when a new weather comes into play! How would this change the Ubers weather war?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was going to vote for option #4 (Stealth Rock), but I'm wondering if we can broaden it a little.

Maybe if we can say that the damage gets altered rather than nerfed, because knowing GameFREAK, what if Stealth Rock actually gets buffed?

That is, 4x resists take 6.25%, 2x resists take 12.5%, neutrals take 25%, 2x weak take 50%, and 4x weak are instantly killed.

Since, apparently, GameFREAK created the move to punish switch-ins and to shorten battles, it wouldn't be beneath them…

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was going to vote for option #4 (Stealth Rock), but I'm wondering if we can broaden it a little.

Maybe if we can say that the damage gets altered rather than nerfed, because knowing GameFREAK, what if Stealth Rock actually gets buffed?

That is, 4x resists take 6.25%, 2x resists take 12.5%, neutrals take 25%, 2x weak take 50%, and 4x weak are instantly killed.

Since, apparently, GameFREAK created the move to punish switch-ins and to shorten battles, it wouldn't be beneath them…
Death to Ho oh.

The weather sounds really nice. It would make Kyogre simply so good that it would sit at something like 70% of usage. It would be near untouchable in the Special Side while hitting stuff for MASSIVE damage with it's STAB's. Groudon still doesn't have reliable recovery, which sucks, but hell, with a +1 Def, even monsters such as banded Terrakion fail to get a sure 4HKO(Support Groudon).

Stealth Rock nerfed would make Ho-Oh INSANE. A new Arceus form that it can set up on, along with a pseudo-immunity to hazards, Ho-Oh could come in time and time again with it's incredible bulk and power.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I definitely agree with the OP: worrying about Stealth Rock is for wusses. so bleh

However, being able to max out EVs in every stat would be intriguing. Personally, I think bulky offense / stall would be buffed, as defenses would rise, and Choice Scarf users would decrease, as their lack of power would be even more noticeable. Mixed attackers such as Rayquaza and maybe even Kyurem-B could seem some more usage. Lastly, we could see some more interesting mixed Arceus sets, (eg Arceus-Fighting w/ Stone Edge).

Hmm, voted for max EV's in every stat, seems a change not favoring any pokes, but it definitely would...fun stuff.
The weather defensive boosts would also be nice to theorymon about, but I don't think we would get much further than ban Kyogre, srsly not even Palkia can check it anymore, what remains, Latias, Grassceus? More?

Then I see a lot of votes for dual-typed attacks...for serious theorymon someone should make a list of all dual-typed attacks and I honestly don't see that happening.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, voted for max EV's in every stat, seems a change not favoring any pokes, but it definitely would...fun stuff.
The weather defensive boosts would also be nice to theorymon about, but I don't think we would get much further than ban Kyogre, srsly not even Palkia can check it anymore, what remains, Latias, Grassceus? More?

Then I see a lot of votes for dual-typed attacks...for serious theorymon someone should make a list of all dual-typed attacks and I honestly don't see that happening.
Don't worry about Dual Typed attacks. I will actually be making OPs for all the possible threads tomorrow and Thursday, and that includes making a list of a crap load of hypothetical dual typed attacks!

With Game Freak saying that they're watching the competitive scene, I figure it might be possible that they could nerf Stealth Rocks if they notice how much of an impact they have on a Pokemon's viability. I do wonder about Ho-Oh, though... If that happened, perhaps Kyogre might find itself a rival for the King of Ubers!
[though not through fighting one on one, of course]
I can, however, also see Kyogre being even more mandatory to weaken Ho-Oh's assault by weakening its Sacred Fire and powering up water moves with which to knock it out. It really could go either way...

You know what else could be interesting? Auto Tailwind/Trick Room inducers. Only 4-5 turns to keep it from being OP, of course... Not that it wouldn't be, lol.

Voted for dual type attacks, there's so many possibilities there that could change the Ubers metagame. What if Draco Meteor became Dragon-Fire? All of a sudden Ferrothorn isn't such a cosy switch in, and Heatran becomes a complete boss. What if Will-O-Wisp became Fire-Ghost type? Extreme Killer Arceus just became a lot scarier. Those are just a couple of examples (and I hope I didn't go too much into the implications), but I can't wait to see what Theorymon has come up with (and if you're making a list of these moves, props to ya).

Voted for dual type attacks, there's so many possibilities there that could change the Ubers metagame. What if Draco Meteor became Dragon-Fire? All of a sudden Ferrothorn isn't such a cosy switch in, and Heatran becomes a complete boss. What if Will-O-Wisp became Fire-Ghost type? Extreme Killer Arceus just became a [B[lot[/B] scarier. Those are just a couple of examples (and I hope I didn't go too much into the implications), but I can't wait to see what Theorymon has come up with (and if you're making a list of these moves, props to ya).
How exactly will that make Will-O-Wisp better? It just makes it worse as normal will be imune to it.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I voted for the PP thing. I think that people just don't realize the game changing potential in that. I mean, sure, Dual Typed attacks or Weather nerf would surely affect Ubers, but the PP thing simply changes Ubers completely. It reaches out for every team: weather or clear skies, stall or hyper offense, balanced or semi-stall. It's the only one I am sure that would change Ubers drastically, as it doesn't change the Pokemon - it changes the player. I think that while Dual Typed attacks are game breaking as well, it will be easier to adapt for them. For example, Gogeta's Fire/Dragon Draco Meteor is now walled by Heatran. Specially Defensive Kyogre should also catch them easily. We can always find counters and checks for new Pokemon and moves, but when the entire game mechanics of common MOVES is changed, we'll have a tougher time adapting. This is what makes this so attractive in my eyes!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the only one of these suggestions that I can see EVER happening is the dual-typed attacks. However, I would say that there would also probably be a dual-stab introduced, so say aura-sphere did become fighting/psychic, Medicham would get a 2x boost to it (mimic glitched, obviously), meaning that pokemon with dual stab and adaptability would get a 2.5x, 3x or 4x boost to stab moves! Ridiculous, but likely.

Theorymon

And the vote is over... Dual Typed attacks won! I will be posting the thread later today, I just have to finish the list (for now on, I will also finish suggestions that require lists before the polls are posted so there wont be an hour delay or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)