Ubers: Why not?

Basically the tier is overcentralized, with the same group of Pokemon used all the time. Playing the tier is sometimes like listening to a broken record for some.

Also, many Pokemon struggle to even be in the ubers environment, with powerful Pokemon lurking around everywhere. It's hard to find a Pokemon who can fit into the tier without being outclassed by something else, which explains to overcentralization in the tier.

I noticed that Ubers seems slightly more weak to hax after laddering for a while. Your counter or check could be KO'd thanks to hax and usually most players only carry one counter or check for a specific Pokemon.

Basically the tier is overcentralized, with the same group of Pokemon used all the time. Playing the tier is sometimes like listening to a broken record for some.
there are more sets though, you might get some overlap in actual teams, but there always seem to be surprises

Also, many Pokemon struggle to even be in the ubers environment, with powerful Pokemon lurking around everywhere. It's hard to find a Pokemon who can fit into the tier without being outclassed by something else, which explains to overcentralization in the tier.
Not sure what you mean by this... there isn't a group of 6 pokemon that are on every team, sometimes strange things show up in ubers and do quite well. For some rain teams, you can get about half non-ubers...

I noticed that Ubers seems slightly more weak to hax after laddering for a while. Your counter or check could be KO'd thanks to hax and usually most players only carry one counter or check for a specific Pokemon.
crits do suck, but then again, you should probably have a plan for setbacks like that... for instance, multiple pokemon with thunder are almost a requirement, multiple things with ice/dragon attacks are pretty important too.

there are more sets though, you might get some overlap in actual teams, but there always seem to be surprises
Of course there always are surprises, but what I'm trying to point out is that there's usually repetition when you battle.

Not sure what you mean by this... there isn't a group of 6 pokemon that are on every team, sometimes strange things show up in ubers and do quite well. For some rain teams, you can get about half non-ubers...
Things that do well in the tier are usually things that aren't outclassed. Kingdra is used in ubers even though it's outclassed statwise by Palkia because of it's unique trait in Swift Swim. You don't see Starmie in the tier, thanks to Kyogre dominating the battle field. Get what I mean?

crits do suck, but then again, you should probably have a plan for setbacks like that... for instance, multiple pokemon with thunder are almost a requirement, multiple things with ice/dragon attacks are pretty important too.
Most players carry only one check or counter to a certain threat. If that threat gets lucky and beats your one check / counter, it will require playing around, which may cost you more than what you thought, potentially opening a sweep for another of the opponent's team, now that your team is weakened thanks to a bit of hax. Having a plan will help, but it will still cost you more than what you expected. Overall, hax has more of an influence on the outcome than in OU, where you could easily play around it. Ubers consists of heavy hitters, so one mistake could lead to a loss.

Things that do well in the tier are usually things that aren't outclassed. Kingdra is used in ubers even though it's outclassed statwise by Palkia because of it's unique trait in Swift Swim. You don't see Starmie in the tier, thanks to Kyogre dominating the battle field. Get what I mean?
Don't get it. There's a set number of roles, so if everything is outclassed, you're not losing any variety.

example: in order for kingdra to be outclassed, something has to outclass it. in order for scizor to be outclassed, something has to outclass it. etc. you're not seeing fewer Pokemon.

Of course there always are surprises, but what I'm trying to point out is that there's usually repetition when you battle.
The implication though is that the repetition makes it boring... when I don't believe that is the case.

Kingdra also gets some nice physical attacks Vs primarily special pokemon and that helps. But starmie also dominates certain pokemon that won't show up in OU because of it...

Most players carry only one check or counter to a certain threat. If that threat gets lucky and beats your one check / counter, it will require playing around, which may cost you more than what you thought, potentially opening a sweep for another of the opponent's team, now that your team is weakened thanks to a bit of hax. Having a plan will help, but it will still cost you more than what you expected. Overall, hax has more of an influence on the outcome than in OU, where you could easily play around it. Ubers consists of heavy hitters, so one mistake could lead to a loss.
Yes, but certain pokemon fulfill multiple jobs and thus require another pokemon to overlap... if I only have one pokemon to counter 2-3 other pokemon, I'm just asking for a critical hit to ruin my entire team

Ubers is fast paced and I lack experience in it. OU is more accepting and has tons of people already to battle...Its the actual lack of people that drives me away..Plus I think its got something to do with people raging at you to not use Ubers so much and forcing you to learn the game and get into OU that kinda keeps some people back? Just my two cents ._.

The main reason I don't play Ubers is because I first got started in another tier, nothing more and nothing less ... although after reading this thread I'm even more reluctant to start Ubers because of the lack of players in it @_@

The reason I don't play Ubers is cause
a)I started in another tier (like the guy above me)
b)Lack of players (I tried entering my OU team into Ubers, and it took me 3 minutes to find a game)
c)I'm reluctant to play a weather war.

I think the problem is the afct that they are ubers =/. Most people dont care to play the metagame as they think ubers are "nooby" when in fact to me (i have little experience in ubers but) It takes more skill than ou and there are much more variety than ou.

Never been an ubers guy but since there are so much new potential uber worthy pokes in gen 5 i will be giving it alot of time for sure.

1. I hate alot of the uber pokemon on principle.
2. I have the least experience with the teir.
3. Everything ubers offers is offered better by LC. (imo)
4. The games are usually over too fast unless it is stall v stall which is no different to stall v stall elsewhere.

Ubers has stall. LC can never stall. Also, Ubers are cooler. Also, ubers offense vs stall can also take ages if it struggles to wallbreak.

Mixed tier battles are always fun.

Bring a Parasect to Ubers and you have a godsend counter to Kyogre. It can also OHKO Darkrai and Latios with X-Scissor, and be Mewtwo's worst nightmare since Generation 1 (esp. with Spore!).

Bring a Gastrodon to OU and Stockpile 3 levels. Almost nothing can defeat it except a dedicated Annoyer. And aside from Smeargle and Shaymin...

A Torterra in OU Speed Boosted by Ninjask (and Blaziken in Gen. 5) will sweep almost everything. It's got the movepool and beastly stats to do so.

One Question you see I'm new mainly because I was wondering Why Saalemence became a Uber because I love Salemence as my favorite Pokemon and if it's a uber people wouldn't respect it (I just want the real reason why so that I know because if it became a uber what about other 600 base stat Pokemon?)

One Question you see I'm new mainly because I was wondering Why Saalemence became a Uber because I love Salemence as my favorite Pokemon and if it's a uber people wouldn't respect it (I just want the real reason why so that I know because if it became a uber what about other 600 base stat Pokemon?)
Short answer - It became an Uber because people (the Smogon Council, to be exact) voted it Uber. Check out this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74979

Long answer - PM me if you really want to know. Believe me when I say it's a long story. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, since you're new to the forums as you said.

The reason Salamence is Uber is because of DD Outrage. At least, from what I can tell.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Game Freak gave Salamence Outrage in Platinum. Then people came up with mixed Salamence & it's "brokeness" eventually showed. Salamence was fine until it got Outrage...

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think that people aren't playing uber because of :
-lack of battlers
-lack of knowledge about this metagame ; people are lazy, and some will stop playing because of 5G and new tools. Lazyness I told you.

I guess there are some solutions ; making buzz around uber to democratize it ; by making it more popular, more people will play, and exponentially, we'll get a stable metagame like OU does (and UU)
-Why not an article on the website, describing similarities between OU and Uber, so people can see it's not so different ? (People used to think there was a barrier between OU and UU, and now both metagames use FWG cores)

FC's Uber Hypothesis

Although I am Fairly new to competitive Pokemon battling in general I came up with a hypothesis why aren't people playing Ubers.

Uber is regarded as just a ban list too most players in the same vain NU is regarded as a dumpster of nonviable Pokemon not as a tier as it should be viewed the main problem is the majority of players who play OU don't want to try a new meta-game they are unfamiliar with, people enjoy winning and when they loose because a lack of experience they will just stick to what they know instead of trying to get better at it which is one of the reason people don't like Ubers the Large skill gap between players honestly, I admit it I suck I never won a match in Ubers.

Another reason I find is that people have the common misconception that Ubers is unbalance which is partially true for the most part but a meta-game that is commonly referred to as a ban list not a tier it hurts the concept of Ubers self image people aren't willing to play what seems unfair to them, in order to make Ubers more appealing to the public eye we must get rid of the delusion that Ubers is a ban list which will be very difficult since the competitive community dubbed the term of a Pokemon moving to the Uber tier as banning them, but raising the publicity of Ubers via the smog issues is a good step in increasing the popularity of this meta in my opinion and I thank the various people working on the web-zine for that.

The Lack of participants is also a big issues but people realize that if you want the tier to be more popular you must play it yourself or you will be doing nothing for the cause, if a tier is lacking players stop playing standard and actually play that tier or tiers like Ubers,Never Used , and Little cup will fall into obscurity, Ubers is no different from any other tier it requires it own set of rules and strategies and I hope the competitive battling community realize this because quite frankly I am getting lonely playing with the same three people.

- Alk Bakhsi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)