Resource Ubers Simple Questions, Simple Answers v2

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sorry i meant the usage stats in the link i gave in my last post, my question is how are those usage stats categorized?? looks like rating to me!!
idk if this is the right place to ask this in this case, but yeah, gen7ubers-0 is the usage for all the ladder, gen7ubers-1500 is for 1500 rating and above, etc.

Ladder Jesus

Banned deucer.
The current suggested spread for the Physically Defensive variant of Yveltal is:

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic / Taunt
- Sucker Punch / Defog / Taunt

In the set details, it states that:
  • 252 HP EVs and 176 Defense EVs give Yveltal maximum physical bulk with the Speed benchmark used, letting it take on many of the physical attackers in the tier. An Impish nature is preferred on sets with Sucker Punch to avoid harming its damage output, but a Bold nature works well on sets without it to reduce damage from opposing Foul Play and confusion.
My question is wouldn't it be fundamentally better to run 252 Defense EVs on Yveltal so that it can maximize its physical bulk as opposed to 252 HP EV? Additionally, since Yveltal is a Flying-Type, wouldn't it also be better to run an odd number of HP? I feel like if this Yveltal variant is aiming to maximize its Physical Bulk, a more suitable spread would be 176 HP/ 252 Def/ 80 Spe. Lastly, because some variants of Primal Groudon either speed tie or speed creep Yveltal by one point (in particular, the RP variants of Primal Groudon), wouldn't it be more advantageous to run 88 Spe so that Yveltal can hit 256 speed (the spread would then become 168 HP/ 252 Def/ 88 Spe)? This would potentially allow this variant of Yveltal to hit Primal Groudon with Foul Play before it boosts once. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but an explanation would greatly be appreciated.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The current suggested spread for the Physically Defensive variant of Yveltal is:

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic / Taunt
- Sucker Punch / Defog / Taunt

In the set details, it states that:
  • 252 HP EVs and 176 Defense EVs give Yveltal maximum physical bulk with the Speed benchmark used, letting it take on many of the physical attackers in the tier. An Impish nature is preferred on sets with Sucker Punch to avoid harming its damage output, but a Bold nature works well on sets without it to reduce damage from opposing Foul Play and confusion.
My question is wouldn't it be fundamentally better to run 252 Defense EVs on Yveltal so that it can maximize its physical bulk as opposed to 252 HP EV? Additionally, since Yveltal is a Flying-Type, wouldn't it also be better to run an odd number of HP? I feel like if this Yveltal variant is aiming to maximize its Physical Bulk, a more suitable spread would be 176 HP/ 252 Def/ 80 Spe. Lastly, because some variants of Primal Groudon either speed tie or speed creep Yveltal by one point (in particular, the RP variants of Primal Groudon), wouldn't it be more advantageous to run 88 Spe so that Yveltal can hit 256 speed (the spread would then become 168 HP/ 252 Def/ 88 Spe)? This would potentially allow this variant of Yveltal to hit Primal Groudon with Foul Play before it boosts once. Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but an explanation would greatly be appreciated.
Max HP also maximizes its special bulk, which changes some calcs, like vs Ice Beam from support Arceus:
0 SpA Arceus-Water Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 154-182 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Arceus-Water Ice Beam vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 154-182 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
But the difference is not really that big overrall.
I actually agree with 4 less EVs on HP, since it does allows one more SR switch and Leftovers is not on the suggested items anyway, but just to clarify: an even number is not a problem if a Pokémon takes 25% from SR, the problem is if it is divisible by 4 (which, in this case, it is).
Finally, I'm pretty sure that analysis don't allow Speed creep, since by that logic, Groudon also is going to put 8 more EVs on Speed, up to the point that Groudon is max Speed and Yveltal barely has any bulk investment. 255 Groudon is not to outspeed defensive Yveltal, but to outspeed +1 Adamant max Speed Mega Salamence after one Rock Polish.

Ladder Jesus

Banned deucer.
Max HP also maximizes its special bulk, which changes some calcs, like vs Ice Beam from support Arceus:
0 SpA Arceus-Water Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 154-182 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Arceus-Water Ice Beam vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Yveltal: 154-182 (35.2 - 41.6%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
But the difference is not really that big overrall.
I actually agree with 4 less EVs on HP, since it does allows one more SR switch and Leftovers is not on the suggested items anyway, but just to clarify: an even number is not a problem if a Pokémon takes 25% from SR, the problem is if it is divisible by 4 (which, in this case, it is).
Finally, I'm pretty sure that analysis don't allow Speed creep, since by that logic, Groudon also is going to put 8 more EVs on Speed, up to the point that Groudon is max Speed and Yveltal barely has any bulk investment. 255 Groudon is not to outspeed defensive Yveltal, but to outspeed +1 Adamant max Speed Mega Salamence after one Rock Polish.
Makes sense, thank you. I suppose if I were to run 248 HP EVs, where would the 4 remaining EVs go to, Defense? I think that this Defensive Yveltal variant is a better fit than the Alolan Muk set that is currently run on the Dual Trap Stall Team. I've seen JPOP XFile (who is currently ranked #1 on Ubers Ladder with a 94.7% GXE and 82-5 Win/Loss Record) use a similar Yveltal set, so I'm trying to modify that build to make it less weak to some of the more threatening offensive threats such as Physical Primal Kyogre and Swords Dance Arceus Formes.

Ladder Jesus

Banned deucer.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, when is it more advantageous to run Physical Primal Kyogre over CM + 3 Attacks? From my point of view, both sets are very good atm but does it come down to the context of what team you're building? I feel like the only benefits the Physical set has is the ability to 2HKO non-defensive variants of Primal Groudon as well as do the same for Chansey and OHKO Blissey. The benefits of the Special set include the ability to defeat basically anything aside from the aforementioned mons as well as Ferrothorn. Which set would pair better with mons like Ho-Oh, Marshadow, and/or Gira-O?

Also, does CM Ogre lose any particular KOs if it opts to run Jolly Nature over Modest? More or less, I feel like the only benefit of running 306 is to outspeed Adamant/Modest Primals but I could be wrong.

Personally, I opt for CM spout if I don’t have some way to deal with ferrothorn otherwise (mgar,goth, ho-oh, msab, anything that can safely defog on ferro). If I do, then it comes down to overall structure. Do I want a better mu vs Waterceus? (if so phys) Is my goal to apply pressure on pdon? (both work but phys is better at it) Am I worried about stall and breaking things like Giratina A? (Spout is ideal there) It’s a lot of smaller details mostly, overall there isn’t a dramatic difference between the two.

For your team? I’m not sure if I’d use Kyogre; between Ho-Oh and Tino, you cover the defensive utility it would provide. Kyogre would help you pressure Zygarde better and get some overlap on things like Waterceus. I’d probs lean towards phys Ogre here but I’d consider a different Pokemon first I think.

Ladder Jesus

Banned deucer.
Personally, I opt for CM spout if I don’t have some way to deal with ferrothorn otherwise (mgar,goth, ho-oh, msab, anything that can safely defog on ferro). If I do, then it comes down to overall structure. Do I want a better mu vs Waterceus? (if so phys) Is my goal to apply pressure on pdon? (both work but phys is better at it) Am I worried about stall and breaking things like Giratina A? (Spout is ideal there) It’s a lot of smaller details mostly, overall there isn’t a dramatic difference between the two.

For your team? I’m not sure if I’d use Kyogre; between Ho-Oh and Tino, you cover the defensive utility it would provide. Kyogre would help you pressure Zygarde better and get some overlap on things like Waterceus. I’d probs lean towards phys Ogre here but I’d consider a different Pokemon first I think.
Thank you. I was quite unsure because I have a very difficult time optimally utilizing Primal Kyogre, but I've never tried its Water Spout set. Physical Ogre is generally the set I usually use, but I will test out both variants and figure out which one performs better overall. I really appreciate it.

the raw bulk is nice for eating a boosted geoxern moonblast (if u are using tr) or harding into a scarf xerneas, off the top of my head. theres probably a few other calcs where gothorita can switch into things freely that gothitelle can’t. gothitelle’s leftovers is important though for trapping ferro/celesteela and the extra speed can matter too for getting off a quick charm in those mus. theres probs better examples/more accurate differences but its been a while since ive bothered with either.

I've seen people run a regular Latias with ev's: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe (or 124 SpD / 132 Spe)
Does this have any real niche in the tier? From what I can gather it's a Pdon Check that does similar things to mega lati like defog and healing wish while not taking up a mega.

The Dovahneer

UPL Champion
I've seen people run a regular Latias with ev's: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe (or 124 SpD / 132 Spe)
Does this have any real niche in the tier? From what I can gather it's a Pdon Check that does similar things to mega lati like defog and healing wish while not taking up a mega.
no, if you want something that fits that same type of role with no mega you look at gira o, which most consider better than mega latias anyway despite the lack of recovery. i never ran the calcs but i imagine since regular latias doesnt have the defense all it checks is mixed don and theres better ways to do that

I am new to this metagame and I have a question about the different styles of teams. For the most part I see a lot of offensive teams, from HO to bulky offense, and I was wondering how a balance ubers team would look. I normally don't really play balance and stall in any tier, but I'm still curious about how those teams look.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
I am new to this metagame and I have a question about the different styles of teams. For the most part I see a lot of offensive teams, from HO to bulky offense, and I was wondering how a balance ubers team would look. I normally don't really play balance and stall in any tier, but I'm still curious about how those teams look.
I've long since abandoned ubers, but I don't think it has changed much. Still I hope to help.

If something has this is the variety of styles and team. Basically when we talk about the offensive style they can be teams with Cloyster that presses with TSpikes + Zyg or Marsh / MBlaziken. Another style would be almost the same but with Excadrill lead. Then there are the famous Sticky Webs with Smeargle or Shuckle + swepper. There are also several versions of offensive teams with DeoxS.

In my opinion the best style is balanced because it is like a mixture of defensive and offensive mons. The perfect mix. It usually works better. Well, these teams usually have defensive forms of Arceus and things like Zyg if you have problems with PDon. An example can be Lunala / MLucario / Zyg / PDon / support Ceus (Fairy or Water) Yveltal. It's just an idea of a team with something more balance.

Sorry I can not be more help but for months I do not play ubers although I like.

Which Arceus forms tend to use cm sets? Fairy and dark come to mind, but I'm wondering if there are others.
Arceus-Ground utilizes a fairly deadly Calm Mind set that can be tough for teams to deal with that lack Ho-oh or a strong Water type like Primal Kyogre to force it out. Other than that, more fringe Arceus like Flying can utilize a mono attacking set that's usually outdone by Arceus-Dark but has the added benefit of not being bopped by Marshadow. Aside from those two, no viable Arceus realistically uses a Calm Mind set. Water is usually outdone by Ground which is why it barely ever uses Calm Mind.

What is the current consensus on kyurem-w? I know that it is ranked in C tier on the viability rankings, but I was wondering if the consensus changed for better or worse.

What is the current consensus on kyurem-w? I know that it is ranked in C tier on the viability rankings, but I was wondering if the consensus changed for better or worse.
It's kinda hard to justify using a lot of the time because while it still hits like a nuke some of the Gen 6 nerfs really hit its wallbreaking prowess where it hurt and it loses pretty hardcore to a lot of the toppest-tier threats, which it frequently gets outsped by or can't OHKO before they OHKO it.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
To add to what Dreadfury already said, Kyurem-White also lacks a lot of defensive utility, which really isn't something that you want today. It doesn't offer any immunities, it's vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards, it's weak to Stealth Rock, it has common weakness on Rock, Fighting, Fairy, and Steel, and out of the resistances that it offers, only Water would be kinda relevant for Kyogre, but it still doesn't have a good matchup against it at all.

I was thinking of building a team with Arceus-Fairy, but I'm not sure how I can ensure it doesn't get trapped and eliminated by Mega Gengar. What can I do to either ensure it doesn't get trapped, or ensure it can win 1v1?

I suspect this isn't possible, on which case, are there any alternatives to Arceus-Fairy that work similarly? I like how it compresses checks to various threats that are otherwise difficult to check with one Pokemon, like Marshadow, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)