Tournament Ubers Premier League VII - Finals (Won by the Defiant Durians)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

(art by Kaiju Bunny)

Welcome to UPL VII, here's a few things to remember:
- A replay / log must be saved of your match or it will be considered invalid. No exceptions.
- General tournament rules and regulations apply. Pokemon Showdown is the default simulator for all metagames unless both parties agree. If you play on anywhere that isn't PS! you must save a log of the match. All matches are best of one, except for the best of three slot.

We reserve the right to judge any individual match on a case by case basis, regardless of assumed precedence set. If you don't like that, you are welcome to not play. Be aware of this.
To protect yourself as much as possible from DCs and timer issues, play on Showdown (because it has an at least semi reliable system of rejoining after a DC) and make a gentleman's agreement to not hit timer.

To help handle all DC cases you will need to submit your teams to the UPL host before the match. You do not have to submit, but if you do, you protect yourself from the opponent taking a win. It's a simple procedure that removes most subjectivity from a decision regarding a DC. Unlike with the scheduling restrictions, all you have to do is submit the team you are using at anytime before the match takes place. Read this rule and understand this now before you join the tournament. Since I'm stating this now, I'm basically going to ignore you if you DC, didn't submit a team, and "had a guaranteed win." Expect it. Also note that I'm going to let the player (not the team), decide whether he is going to take the win or go another route (replay same moves, replay different teams, etc.).

Regarding time outs, they are a bit more complex, specifically because some timeouts are due to DCs. The best we can do for this scenario is say that there is some number between 1 minute and 2 minutes (which we will not publicize) that we will set as a limit for timing out, and if you timeout with more than that limit time remaining, we'll assume it is a DC, whereas the opposite is a true timeout. A true timeout defaults to a loss, while the DC timeout is prone to the DC rules (did you submit or not).

792.png
598.png

(2) Luminous Lunalas vs. Defiant Durians (6)

USM: Goat Heart ♥ vs. PurpleGatorade
USM: Paycard vs. KratosMana
USM: Chill Shadow vs. byronthewellwell
ORAS: Aishia vs. Reje
BW: Alex Walls vs. Kebabe
DPP: Highlord vs. M Dragon
ADV: p2 vs. rozes
Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Poek vs. TDK

~

USM: Goat heart vs pg : pg has obv been on fire and it's kinda hard to predict vs his super consistent performances but goat heart has played his games very decently racking up a 3-0, and i doubt he's stalling this time since pg will probably be hard prepping for stall. should be a super fun game
USM: Leru vs Kratosmana : dunno enough about kratosmana to predict
USM: Chill Shadow vs Byronthewellwell : weird matchup but I'm expecting durian prep to be superior here
ORAS: Aishia vs Reje : dunno how much of a game this is gonna be since rejes playing ability is lvl 99 and he should have no problem dispatching any opponent without an extensive oras background
BW: Alex Walls vs Kebabe : do i need to add anything here
DPP: Highlord vs M Dragon : after some recent info i laid eyes on, i cannot on principle, predict for highlord ever again. regardless, mdragoat is definitely superior playing ability wise and it comes down to prep. with mdragon out for blood+hack support this is looking like a wrap
ADV: p2 vs Kushalos: if p2 gives a shit, which he will since it's finals, he can pull up with some really solid and scary prep. his aggro playstyle should also help him this game. love kush but my gut says p2 is taking this
BO3: Poek vs TDK: damn this games heat. id assume tdk has the upper hand with hack support but it's too cool a matchup to predict for anyone

Gl hf to both teams
edit: did you guys actually bench peloat smh

USM: Goat Heart vs PurpleGatorade

Goat Heart's teams come across as if they started as insanity and then got molded to "could win if played well" by hyw (my guess anyway), and people trip over themselves trying to ct it. I won't deny it works for him. PurpleGatorade has a no nonsense approach and as long as he doesn't fall into the same trap I think he is favored to take it.

USM: Leru vs KratosMana

Fully expecting a sunday game where whoever has more motivation wins. Also expecting the game to not get played if the series is over by Sunday.

USM: Chill Shadow vs byronthewellwell

I think CS is less invested than byron but I do think he has the ability to win the game from the experience gap. byron has had a good UPL though so its actually very close. If byron is to win the main advantage will come from the builder, where CS is mainly just given teams.

ORAS: Aishia vs Reje

I think this is rather one sided because from my perspective during the season Reje was very easy to prepare against in ORAS and doesn't seem to care enough to branch away or brush up on the common ORAS matchups. Aishia cares more, seems to prepare better and should win as a result. Durians will need to do more here, but I fully expect them to do that so this should hopefully come closer.

BW2: Alex Walls vs Kebabe

No reason to say otherwise here. Kebabe is just the better player while Alex Walls seems to fallback to the same stuff with little room to improvise.

DPP: Highlord vs M Dragon

This one I'm genuinely unsure about. Highlord's variance in team choices and hyw in the background make it very difficult to judge what he uses, and M Dragon has strong patterns in his DPP usage that might be abusable. If the matchup is even or favoring M Dragon it should be a win without hax, but that's already went wrong twice. Who knows?

ADV: p2 vs Kushalos

I'm surprised p2 has survived so long in weebland and not gone nuts. Maybe its emboldened his mental strength. Kushalos's teams mostly looked similar in style to my untrained adv eyes - maybe p2 can find the key to win from there. I can't properly judge a winner here so i'll go with even.

Bo3: Poek vs TDK

I look forward to this series the most because I think it represents the team preparation and overall strength in the lineups, where I think the Durians are favored. Poek is likely favored in ORAS where TDK still seems to be picking it up as he goes along. BW2 will come down to whatever support system is superior, because I don't think either player is particularly standout in terms of meta knowledge. I favor TDK because of his USM performance and BW2 support.

go durians!

USM: Goat Heart ♥ vs. PurpleGatorade: two of the 3 most impressive players in usm from this upl outside of garay Imo. Both are outstanding I think this perception that Goat heart is 1 dimensional is insane, and if you look at the spots hes played his games and the relevance of the games at the times it makes all the sense in the world that he would load up the same play style to sell the narrative. That being said I think that he is capable of piloting stall in a sub par mu so would not be shocked if he brings it here but I doubt it. Pg i think other than garay is the best usm'er bar none would love to see those two bo3 so I am going to give a slight edge to him here but Goat heart is def the player of the future Hl for me personally.

USM: Leru vs. KratosMana: Anti is very fire as a overall mons player so I think he can win this game. However this is finals and when Leru cares he is def one of the best players in the tier. I think that he has used a lot of the same stuff this upl same cores etc. I think he can use that to his advantage if he wants to build something a bit outside the box.

USM: Chill Shadow vs. byronthewellwell : Byron is on a roll this upl, and I have very much enjoyed the teams he has brought. Chill is always solid especially for a none mainer I think this one comes down to mu most likely and the durians always put in very good prep.

ORAS: Aishia vs. Reje : Reje has been super super unlikely thus far and I think people are kinda overlooking that and saying hes played poorly or does not care. I think he is super talented at Oras and if he has neutral luck will take this. I would like to mention Aishia's teams have been some of my fav this tour hope to see something cool.

BW: Alex Walls vs. Kebabe : I cannot follow BW to save my life so will just leave it with kebabe is like 100-2 all time

DPP: Highlord vs. M Dragon: Think predicting against him is a bit silly just with the head to head, I know M drag has had some bad luck in the games but that's the game and I have to imagine thats in his head at least a little bit.

ADV: p2 vs. Kushalos: both guys are studs I think p2 will be more invested however.

Bo3 (USM | ORAS | BW): Poek vs. TDK : seems to get better every week and I think he has the edge in usm for sure and could take either of the other two.

Gonna be pretty inactive this summer studying for my GRE and interning, and because of my disgusting addiction to this game I generally have to quit cold turkey to kick it so do not be alarmed if you try and contact me and cannot get a hold of me. Might try to perma quit lmao probably will not work out. Would like to say was a fun upl a bit upset with my performance but its pokemon so I mean its whatever. If im not around much hope for the best for the tier I think Pg,garay, goat etc are good ambassadors for the tier hope you can get back in officials!

benching the toe man peli is blasphemy!

First off, I'd like to congratulate the Durians for winning UPL (again). You guys were tough opponents and definitely deserved the win.

After some reflection, I've decided to leave this community, and this site, for personal reasons. However, I'd like to give a few shoutouts before I do.
It's also my final wish that whoever takes this team next year changes its name.

First, to my assman Poek . We had our disagreements but you're an amazing player and thanks for always telling me straight if I screwed something up. Maybe we'll team again in the distant future, who knows. Much respect bro, glad we ended on good terms

Sitonai . Unfortunate how this UPL began for us but u stuck with me till the end. Thanks a million bro, love you

Leru . We've teamed together for the past 3 UPLs and I've enjoyed it every time. You're a great player when you try and maybe we'll team again in the future, sometime, somewhere.

Highlord . You're a fucking lord at DPP regardless of what anyone else says. I wish we got to know each other better, seeing as we're both going to be starting college next year but I wish you the best of luck in life.

Chill Shadow . We didn't get to know each other very well, part of that may have been due to shitty timezones but you're an amazing player and I can't believe we got you for only 11k. Keep killin it man

Paycard . I'm sorry this UPL didn't go your way because you're a solid player who's just had a rough few weeks both in mons and otherwise. I don't regret drafting you and hope you find all the success you wanted both on this site and in life

Goat Heart ♥ . Oh boy I still remember when you told me you didn't expect to play in your first UPL. Well you killed it and 5k was honestly the biggest steal I can imagine getting for u. I know you'll do great things in ubers if you choose to stay

Aishia . You justified your price and more, thanks for being a boss

Alex Walls . Your gf is the luckiest girl in the world bro. you're possibly the most wholesome dude on this site, no amount of credits could match your worth and you're exceptional as a player too. If you decide to come back next year whichever team has you will be blessed. You'll always be associated with battle rap in my mind

Peli . My rival, I'm really glad I ended up picking you as one of our subs and you clutched week 3 for us in a spectacular way. Best of luck my man, go become the best fuckin lawyer in the states

p2. I might've been wary at first I ditched those reservations pretty quick. Your knowledge of ADV is unparalleled and you had a rough start but glad you got it back in your control pretty quickly. I'm really happy with the effort you put into prepping, especially as you didn't have as much support in your tier.

Shitegotreal . Thanks for coming back to help us bro, you did a ton for us in BW and hope you succeed in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Serga. It'll always be a shame we weren't able to team together this last year, but thanks a ton for joining to help us after your team was out. You'll always be a Lunala in my heart.

Samqian . You might've not been the most active in the end but thanks for helping us out with ORAS when you could. It's a shame you weren't picked up this year, your life stories are always fun to read. Hope you get the girl man

Since I don't expect to return, I thought I'd also give a shoutout to my closest friends.

Ninjacalibur. It's been more than 3 years man, you were my first friend on this site and although you no longer play tours I'm glad we get to catch up every now and then on PS. Still miss slamming out games every day all that time ago, because of that I was able to become the player that I am. really gonna miss you brother

CKW. I feel like everything has already been said on discord but I hope you succeed in whatever tier you decide to try next. You've always been there when I needed you and I'll always be grateful.

hyw. We're not done, you and I. I expect we'll do great things together later on in life.

Arii Stella. I'll always be grateful for trusting me with your team, I'm sorry this UPL caused us to clash so much but in the end I'm glad we reconciled. Keep in touch n_n

Finally to my other people. dream dewtios Level 56 Gunner Rohan Lord Outrage 0kay hexed Kyogre is GR8 PD Mysterious M samjo Misaka Mikoto Jrdn. And to the rest of my teammates still in PSPL, SparksBlade Zesty43 Cynara PurpleGatorade Pohjis skysolo14, you're all solid players and fine people. Take it home this time, dudes. If anyone I mentioned wants my number or otherwise wants to stay in touch feel free to hit me up as I'll likely check discord from time to time.
I also want to give a mention to Melee Mewtwo, we might not be best of friends but not only are you closely involved with the tier, you're a very decent fellow as well, and it's my opinion that ubers would be blessed to have you as its leader or co-leader one day.

Peace.

Last edited:

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
i never do shoutout posts but this was one of the most fun PLs i've had ever. first off, i'd like to give a special shoutout to Pearl for accepting to play for the manchild astounded instead of having obii break the bank on you, allowing me to be apart of this team. sorry you had to deal with him on a weekly basis

everyone on this team was a riot except for perfect minun who tried out, had gunner go out of his way to buy them, and then quit. no one really knew you on the team except for gunner and we got over the fact he bought you without talking to any of us, but what did you do to the person who gave you a chance? you just up and left. you whine about not starting but you didn't even talk in the first place, or help at all.

but yeah the rest of the team was great, thanks for putting up with my stupidity tagging @everyone multiple times a day. i didn't expect to enjoy this team as much as I did and I'm glad to have had a blast with everyone (except minun).

overall playing ubers this tour was awesome, I didn't really know the tier that well, but obii and the gang babied the shit out of me and helped me put up the record I did. The tier is not anywhere near as bad as people think it is, in fact it's my favorite SM tier atm. It's a shame it's getting axed from everything for fucking PU, but maybe the TDs can open their eyes and just ban the clowns that everyone knows cheats every single tour and put in the better tier and better community.

altho i have to say this community has some clowns such as orch who can't even beat a blacephalon without getting the 1 crit possible to win. and then this clown got banned for chat ghosting LMAO. probably for the best bro saved yourself some embarrassment in future weeks.

ggs to my friends on the lunalas, and again big thanks to the dudes who put in so much time to help me in this tier (obii, , pg, cata, zf, slurmz, hack, and, of course, mr. rohan)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)