Project Ubers Player Spotlight #14: Chill Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Nayrz
Changed 'Ubers Player of the Week' from Arii Stella

Ubers Player Spotlight - #14

Ubers Player Spotlight is the place where I interview notable and respected players from Ubers, the tier where the fiercest monsters combat and exert apocalyptic force. People I choose to interview are the elite players who excel at taming the strongest monsters and have been consistent throughout tournaments and is well respected by the community.

I am open to suggestions (DMDW#8155) about the players that can be interviewed, but please keep in mind that suggested players are subjects to review by me and Ubers moderation team. With that out of the way...

Spotlight #14:

Most Known For:

Scalded a gastrodon a few times, making unnecessary plays just cuz i expect the opponent to double, and ig i won a ssnl and topped ubers standings (lol), also spl/wcop player and snake player/manager.

Favorite Pokémon:

My favorite is by far Gengar, from when younger me first saw it in the anime, and later on when i found out it's actually good in competitive

Overview:

23 year old guy from lebanon, got a masters in business management last month and trying to get a job now. i spend most of my time with friends and at the gym so i dedicate my late nights to mons.

What is your name's origin?

1537803628688.png

[In case you have trouble seeing the image, the entry goes: "Gengar, the Shadow Pokemon. Gengar is the final evolved form of Gastly. It can absorb any surrounding heat, leaving a sudden chill. "]

We'd love to hear some background information about your interest into Pokemon.

I found out about pokemon MMOs around the time gen 3 was the current gen (hence the origin of the name), and i loved them because i never had handhelds :blobcry: so i spent some years playing them with friends etc until i got bored of grinding and enjoyed competitive mons. Pokemon season 1 was a big part of my childhood and after that the anime kinda got boring.

What have attracted you into Ubers?

i play literally all tiers and gen 6 ubers wasnt really fun, but when i tried gen 7 i enjoyed it more because there was a lot of broken additions that made it feel like "broken checks broken" instead of one big thing just ruining the tier.

What is your favorite playstyle? What generation do you like the most?

i like using BO a lot but this never really has an impact on the teams i bring, ill bring stuff depending on my patience/mood and how much i care or what i expect my opponent to bring (ill never bring memes though). I enjoy adv ubers a lot but im not particularly good at it

How do you feel about the Gothitelle & Gothorita suspect?

when i wanna look for tiers to learn and play i usually look at tiers where there's trapping so i can abuse it, i feel that most if not all kinds of trapping is outright unhealthy, i frankly dont really care cuz goth staying or leaving wont really impact how much ill play ubers, but if i it really mattered i would definitely argue for the ban of goths

Are there any elements of the metagame that you deem unhealthy?

there are many things that i find kinda ridiculous, ultra necro shifting from a naturally fat steel to a late game fast dragon psychic is honestly stupid broken in my eyes, zygod sometimes feels kinda dumb, obv goth is unhealthy, and there are many things that would make ubers games painfully matchup reliant like webs but obviously that goes for many tiers.

What is your the most memorable game of Ubers?

1537808742648.png
ChillShadow's team: Necrozma-Dusk-Mane / Xerneas / Groudon / Arceus-Water / Marshadow / Ho-Oh
Terracotta's team: Rayquaza / Arceus-Ground / Klefki / Wobbuffet / Groudon / Marshadow

memorable is this https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-746410440 because obvious bias for my first and only success in ssnl. im sorry i just watch many many games in every tier including ubers so i nothing really pops in my head from other players

What is your the most valuable memory, other than just playing games, in tournament environment?

im a really competitive guy so every big win is very memorable, from my stour run some years ago, my first spl and the 2nd where we made semis, managing snake rn etc, it's all a lot of fun

How did UPL VI go with Jubilant Jirachis?

it was kinda disappointing honestly, there were very cool teammates but there was always this feeling of not really trying cuz the team was a bit too chill and relaxed, the ending result was worse than i would anticipate but it's very understandable given all the gambles my manager made regarding new unproven players including myself (letting me play adv because i wanted to even tho i was not really qualified). Although the one big thing that came out of it was meeting EternalSnowman that helped me win the ssnl big time

What new or existing users or players in Ubers do you look up to?

back in the PO days i used to watch a lot of Monsters of Men, Seigneur Arsenal and Executive Archer games and kept watching them when everyone shifted to smogon (March Fires Astounded Lord Outrage) for the record), and trout in particular always helped me get into the tier in xy, oras, sm and usm by giving me cool teams.

What are your advice for new players getting into Ubers?

start by getting teams from good players lol and watch a lot of big tour replays to try and see what the big names are doing and how they play

Please share a set that you think is the most underrated and a set that is the most overrated in Ubers.

1537809266712.png

1537809157331.png

the most "underrated" is mixed ogre which is really not used enough i feel, as well as rp mixdon. i dont think anything is particularly overrated

Would you provide us with a team and add a brief description?

i dont build in any ubers gen so i wont provide any teams that arent mine, but i used this in ssnl finals and i made it with ESM to not lose to specific things i expected my opponent to bring, but mewtwo ended up winning on its own.

necdm.gif

Deoxys-Speed @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Stealth Rock

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 172 Def / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Focus Blast

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 240 Atk / 8 Def / 144 SpD / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 88 Def / 244 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Solganium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake

s/o to the friends that helped me in ubers all these years and made it fun, not gonna make a list u know who u are (+ it's the same shoutouts from when i won ssnl + terra and my other friends) and to every1 else, i find it just as funny as u that i got one of these spotlights

=
=
=

Thank you Chill Shadow for spending the time to answer the questions! Feel free to ask other questions in this thread!

Attachments

Last edited:
1) Bring back the glorious PO LU, please?
2) What's your kinda music?
3) As one of the managers of the Cobras, what do you think of your current opposition in Snake overall? Any particular team/player you're looking out for?
4)^Same thing but specifically for Ubers now.
5) You're trapped in a room with a table, a knife, pasy_g and the walls are covered with Pepe emojis, wyd?

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Likewise with UPL - who do you see getting drafted this year that wasn't drafted, and do you plan on playing/managing?
What other metas are you interested in outside of RU & Ubers?
What's your thought process with building?

Best of luck in snake!

pasy_g

Banned deucer.
3) As one of the managers of the Cobras, what do you think of your current opposition in Snake overall? Any particular team/player you're looking out for?
5) You're trapped in a room with a table, a knife, pasy_g and the walls are covered with Pepe emojis, wyd?

just for the record im taller and stronger so its your choice if you wanna suffer or end it quick

1) fuck no
2) i listen to the radio a lot and im influenced a lot by what my friends listen to so a little bit of everything, classic rock is something i enjoy in particular
3) tough starts and (hopefully) better results as we go. im always paying attention to the new names
4) zesty, i knew the other drafted people from before so im not really surprised negatively or positively by anyone else
5) i bang my head on the table and end my suffering with the knife.

Since when this clown is considered a high level and notable ubers player? Hes not good even at his actual main tier yet :cwl:
im literally #1 in ubers circuit rn rofl smd

I heard you're a furry?
what the fuck. no.

Who do u fuckin hate in smogon
Whos the shittiest player uve played

Non-memes:
Who do you think deserved to be drafted in Snake draft and who should be in potentially SPL? Likewise with UPL - who do you see getting drafted this year that wasn't drafted, and do you plan on playing/managing?
What other metas are you interested in outside of RU & Ubers?
What's your thought process with building?

Best of luck in snake!
-i hate the HATERS like espirit melle and yogi
-idk man everyone starts as a shitty player

-i think the current draft is pretty good and most of the people that should have been drafted and werent was because they didnt sign up. im looking forward to seeing more of zesty everywhere, i heard he wasnt in upl. i also think i read somewhere he wanted to manage, i hope not. If im feeling like it id probs want to play an old gen cuz some of those are really fun to me
-other metas im interested in are every uu and ru that are older than oras, most ous, and sm lc, i enjoy tiers that dont have drastic shifts in trends cuz i legit do not have the time or the willingness to keep up
-i dont build anymore but when i did it's usually me wanting to use something anti meta and building around it.
and thx

Should Ubers be in Spl?

What does "the sauce" mean to you and do you feel that you have "the sauce"?
-idk honestly i wouldnt be upset if it wasnt in spl but i also would understand if it finds its way in there.
-no comment.

Rumors say you are the best monotype player ever
idk never played it

cs goat!

do you believe in the religion of mvenu?
thoughts on the results on the most recent ubers open?
-ehhh not fully convinced yet
-im not surprised of the results, the finalists have been playing rly well and darrell is a fine winner

* How was managing a team in Snake Draft? Were you nervous to wok with some of the best players?
* How do you feel about Snake Draft as a whole? Do you wish to participate next year as well?
* How did you feel about Mega Gengar's introduction in XY? Do you still prefer regular forme over Mega forme?
* Ban Marry Kill: Astounded / March Fires / Reje

How did I do as UPL Host?
idk man if u got up the threads on time then u did ok

Have you heard about the Gengar-Clefable theory, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
Do you think there's anything in the metagame worthy of a suspect atm?
How often do you eat kebab?
- yes ive heard and i hate everything related to theories, nothing particular against this one, it's just fans using their imagination a bit too much and finding connections where they can, there doesnt need to be a backstory, its just probs the same artist that had a sketch draft and didnt really know where to go from it..
- goth, idk really im not rly qualified to answer that properly lol
-just had some an hour ago, probs like once a week maybe idk it's really cheap and popular and boring here

Thanks for shoutout you will forever be my powc captain :toast:

Why is my gengar avatar better than yours?
How have you found the managing experience? Do you prefer playing or being a manager?
:toast:
wtf mine is better
managing is more fun because this game is fucking shit

How did it feel to crush my hopes and dreams in r1 of ORAS week?
idk if this is ur first smogon tour season but the more ull play st lives 1 game really doesnt matter, ull get the hang of it

* How was managing a team in Snake Draft? Were you nervous to wok with some of the best players?
* How do you feel about Snake Draft as a whole? Do you wish to participate next year as well?
* How did you feel about Mega Gengar's introduction in XY? Do you still prefer regular forme over Mega forme?
* Ban Marry Kill: Astounded / March Fires / Reje
* managing is fine, a bit stressful and the team atmosphere is fun. But my dude, i dont care how good the players i got are, it's pokemon, and most of these people are younger than me anyway LOL im not getting nervous
* i like the uniqueness of the format it's fun. I probs wouldnt be a player anymore im kinda done w/ that so if i can manage with a friend why not.
* i didnt really like the design at first but it grew on me. i absolutely still prefer regular form though 100%, mainly due to nostalgia nothing really will change that.
* marry astounded and march fires, ban then kill reje

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)