Multi Gen Ubers Player of the Week · [Week #1: Level 56]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Sweep
Based on other Player of the Week threads.

Art by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to Ubers Player of the Week! This'll be a weekly project where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to shoot me a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Level 56

Favorite Pokemon:
Jirachi because cute n_n

Most Known For:
Ubers open IV champ, top 9 in Smogon Grand Slam III and IV etc​

Tell us a little about yourself.
I'm 19 currently studying in university doing civil engineering. My hobbies are playing cricket and soccer (am a Real Madrid fan btw). In free time, I love watching anime, listening to music and playing Pokemon ofc.

Where did you get your name from?

I used to ladder a lot under different alts back when I was new on PS! One day, I saw a global moderator named level 51. For some reason, the name seemed cool to me, so I decided to make a new alt to ladder, which I named as level 56. Some days later, I heard from my friend that there was going to be a tournament on each weekend in the ubers room by which you could earn voice in the ubers room, if you win it. I was really excited, as I thought It would be a good chance to get my name known in the community. I joined the weekend tournament under my alt level 56, which I ended up winning, and from that day, level 56 has been my main alt.

How and when did you get in Ubers?

I started playing ubers back in August 2013. Reason why I started playing ubers was because I wanted to play with Rayquaza, Jirachi and Mewtwo. The more I played ubers, the more I realized that it was a really fun metagame. After that, I just laddered a lot and eventually became a ladder hero.

What's your favorite generation in Ubers, and why?

It's a tough choice between XY and ORAS. I think I will give ORAS an edge. Reason is simple. Unlike in other generations of ubers, where anyone with experience can win. In ORAS ubers, that is not the case, in ORAS ubers the better player mostly wins. Though overall, XY is better than ORAS as it's more balanced, enjoyable and there is a lot of room for creativity (fuck shadow tag tho).

If you could change a few important things in the metagame, what would those be?

Haha probably Primal-Groudon, not because it's OP but because it's the reason why there is less room for creativity.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

If I had to pick one, it would be balance because its pretty reliable and least match-up-reliant style. It's nice to have things to take hits, along with some firepower in order to keep up the pressure and momentum. For tournament games, favourite playstyle doesn't matter to me as I'm gonna use anything that's solid vs my opponent.

Favorite UPL/Seasonal/Open game?

My most favourite game is from UPL II. I played vs Nayrz in the finals.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-137691058
In this game, I had a pretty tough match up as I brought Scolipede offense and Nayrz brought full stall. Was a very close game which I managed to win by making some key predicts. The feeling after I won was very special as it was my first time playing on a big stage.

Do you plan on managing in next UPL?

Yup n_n

What do you think about Ubers getting removed from SPL? Should be back in Gen 7?

To be honest, I don't even know the real reason why ubers was removed from SPL 7, so I'm not gonna talk about this. Ubers is much more established than other tiers imo, so it was pretty disappointing to see that it was removed. Hopefully, ubers will be included in next SPL.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Back when I was new, the only players I used to look up to were Sweep and Hack. Hack is the best teambuilder in my eyes, Sweep used to use some cool stuff on the ladder which I really liked and was exceptionally good at most tiers, so I wanted to learn from one of them. In the end, the one who tutored me was hack. Later on, Sweep drafted me in UPL II, and those 6 weeks of UPL were incredibly fun . Really thankful to both of them as they both are one of the reasons I have become a great ubers player. Outside of ubers, I really look up to Mcmeghan as he is truly a legend.

As for my friends, ive got too many of them to list them but they know who they are!

Is there any advice that you would like to share with new users?

In my eyes, the first step to get good at any tier is to seek help from solid players (without worrying) and from helpful threads on forums. After that when you have an idea of how the tier works, make different teams as solid as possible, ladder with them and draw your own conclusions. When you think you are good enough for the ladder, then next comes is playing in tournaments. Sign up for as many tournaments as you can and try to produce good results in them, so that you can get your name known in the tournament scene.

Finally, can you provide us a team with a brief explanation of how it works?

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Shell Smash

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
- Earthquake

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball / Hex
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 72 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Precipice Blades

Xerneas @ Choice scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep talk
-
-

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

This is the team I used in the Ubers open IV finals vs Bouffalant. I actually wanted to make an offensive team with band Rayquaza since it's a nice wallbreaker, and I ended up making this team. The team is pretty straight-forward. Cloyster is a solid lead that is good at keeping up the momentum against most teams. Rayquaza is the team's main wallbreaker, with choice band as it's item, it hits like a truck. I decided to use Gengar-mega as it makes sure ekiller doesn't sweep. Groudon-primal is the rock setter of the team and also checks Xerneas. I decided to use scarf Xerneas as Darkrai is really threatening to the team, otherwise. And lastly, ekiller gives priority and acts as a late game sweeper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again to Level 56 for taking the time to this interview.:heart:
Ask him any questions you have below!

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Do you still have a screenshot of when you had the highest GXE on the PS server? I personally think that is as massive of an accomplishment can be as far as mons goes. Anyways, it's good to see you doing well. We should talk more though, I miss the small chats on PS and I think I have typed at Nayrz more than you in the past few months which says something. I guess I just miss the older PS Ubers auth that hung out during dead hours.

Hm, even though we haven't talked much, I respect you a lot as a player (I think we played a couple times on the ladder when you were under an alt). Out of curiosity, what would you like to see in Gen 7 in terms of new mons/abilities? I know it's a bit early, but is there a specific mon you'd like to see coming?

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
will you marry me
Sure

Do you still have a screenshot of when you had the highest GXE on the PS server? I personally think that is as massive of an accomplishment can be as far as mons goes. Anyways, it's good to see you doing well. We should talk more though, I miss the small chats on PS and I think I have typed at Nayrz more than you in the past few months which says something. I guess I just miss the older PS Ubers auth that hung out during dead hours.
Sorry, don't have it anymore :(

Yeah those were fun times when we used to pm each other, really miss those days. Hopefully, we'll be able to have chats again when I'm a little less busy. Hope your doing well too

Level 56 (>'v')>
Are there any other tiers you play?
Aqua :]

Yeah i play pretty much every tier. Other than ubers, OU, RU and LC are my favourites.

Hm, even though we haven't talked much, I respect you a lot as a player (I think we played a couple times on the ladder when you were under an alt). Out of curiosity, what would you like to see in Gen 7 in terms of new mons/abilities? I know it's a bit early, but is there a specific mon you'd like to see coming?
Hmm It'd be really cool if we got a strong ice type mon in gen 7, since ice typing is usually good. Also really looking forward to the legendary of Pokemon Moon, as it's design is really cool and hopefully it will be solid in ubers.

Last edited:
Question out of curiosity, how are the players being decided, and any specific order?

Great to see Level 56 recognized.
Me and Gunner Rohan are deciding the list for next interviews, I started with Level 56 because of his knowledge, good experience + accomplishments in the tier, I think it's a nice start on bringing back this thread. If you have any suggestion feel free to PM me, I'd appreciate it. :>

Do you still have a screenshot of when you had the highest GXE on the PS server?
I saw an old RMT by Level 56 where he showed his rank with a high GxE but not sure if it is the one that you are looking for, anyway...

Last edited:
You sure came a long way from the Deo-S+Chansey+Blaziken+Kyogre team you first used in XY haha

I think it's interesting how you answered that your favorite playstyle is balance when most players associate you with more offensive playstyles. I've noticed a similar thing with Astounded, who tends to use less hyper offensive approach when facing good players. Is it similar for you, care to elaborate a bit on how you choose teams?

hyw

Banned deucer.
^that's pretty rich coming from the same dude who got 6-0'ed by Mega Blaziken xD (just kidding).

Regarding the question concerning what you would change in the metagame: you answered the what (Primal Groudon) but not the how; that it isn't overpowered, but the fact that you answered the question in this way tacitly implies that something should be "changed." (?)

I'm interested in hearing any of your thoughts as to what you think the correct direction would be to alleviate this instigator of suppression in breathing room for creativity.

i'd agree with the whole rising star thing about you - that upl fight you mentioned brought back some fun memories. if we make it to spl again i'd fully expect to see you dominate that shit.

speaking of upl - what brought about the decision to manage instead of play in the last upl?

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Ive seen you do really well in the tournament scene in a wide variety of tiers, how do you prepare for stuff like slam/misc tournaments of the tournaments sections, etc? Ladder? Scouting to build counterteams?
And yeah im kind of a fan, youre a solid player so this is a well deserved botw :toast:

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
You sure came a long way from the Deo-S+Chansey+Blaziken+Kyogre team you first used in XY haha

I think it's interesting how you answered that your favorite playstyle is balance when most players associate you with more offensive playstyles. I've noticed a similar thing with Astounded, who tends to use less hyper offensive approach when facing good players. Is it similar for you, care to elaborate a bit on how you choose teams?
Against newer players and players that don't play the tier regularly, I mostly go with offensive teams against them. Reason for this is that they are not able to handle the pressure and you can get fast wins. On the other hand, if you use balance or stall teams, there is mostly a chance that your opponent makes some stupid plays or you end up getting haxed, which is a bit risky.

Against solid players, I always mix it up. Offensive teams are pretty easy to counterteam, so balance is always the safest option, since balance teams are solid against every playstyle. But as I said in my answer, I always use the thing that does good vs my opponent's teams, since that's the best way to win.

i'd agree with the whole rising star thing about you - that upl fight you mentioned brought back some fun memories. if we make it to spl again i'd fully expect to see you dominate that shit.

speaking of upl - what brought about the decision to manage instead of play in the last upl?
Thanks bro n_n

I decided to manage in last UPL, because I was kinda busy at that time and wasn't really in the mood to play mons. So I thought It would be a good experience to manage a team as it was my first time managing. Had real fun in those 5 weeks.

Ive seen you do really well in the tournament scene in a wide variety of tiers, how do you prepare for stuff like slam/misc tournaments of the tournaments sections, etc? Ladder? Scouting to build counterteams?
And yeah im kind of a fan, youre a solid player so this is a well deserved botw :toast:
I always make at least 3 solid teams for normal tournaments and of course counterteam if I get a chance. As for official tours like grand slam, I make more teams than normal tournaments and test them as much as possible. Friends are also really important, as you can borrow teams from them as well test with them. Also thanks n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)