SV Ubers Ubers Half Hippowdon Sand

:sv/hippowdon: :sv/gastrodon: :sv/houndstone: :sv/cyclizar: :sv/miraidon: :sv/espathra:

:sv/hippowdon:
Hippie(y) (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Tera Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

The star of this entire team, the one I put the most thought into (And as such, will have the most description), Hippowdown is built to deal with the box legendaries of this gen. Being a ground type with Tera Fairy is obviously great against Miraidon, and Sand Stream denies the sun Koraidon tries to set out. Tera Fairy also allows Hippowdon to survive a non-sun boosted Collision Course from +2 Koraidon at over 50% (Without tera, you survive at 10%), and Tera Blast lets you return the favor and guarantee a KO after rocks. In fact, Earthquake or Tera Blast Fairy are both excellent options for dealing damage to both, (Especially if Miraidon is Tera Steel or Koraidon is Tera Fire). Even when not tera'd, it can comfortably survive Hadron boosted Tera Dragon Draco Meteor from Scarf Miraidon, although not Specs.

Stealth Rock is chosen because the immunities granted by its main type and Tera type make it a safe choice for a Stealth Rock lead. Slack Off is self explanatory, it's always great to have instant recovery on bulky mons.

Adding onto the utility of Tera Fairy, Hippowdon can lure out Chien-Pao, who intends to break it with Ice Spinner. (The following calcs are done with Chien-Pao's Band set, since it's the most common.) If Hippie then Tera Fairy's, it turns Ice Spinner from an OHKO to at best 60%. Combine this with rocks and Tera Blast Fairy, and it becomes a guaranteed OHKO. Without rocks, it's 81-96% (Adding in sand damage), so even if you can't safely keep Hippowdon in against Chien-Pao, that Pao is basically dead. Finally, Annihilape cuts it close when adding Stealth Rock, but a single Bulk Up and Drain Punch is only enough to guarantee it won't be a 2HKO.

Checks (In no particular order):
The biggest threat to Hippowdon is Iron Bundle. Most of their moves are OHKO, and Hippo can't do shit in return. Palafin, being another monstrous water type, beats Hippo for the same reason. The lack of offensive presence against anything it isn't meant for means the variety of powerful setup sweepers, like Nasty Plot Chi-Yu, Espathra, and Ape get free set-up against it. Something to be noted is that Ape can be beaten if it takes Rocks damage, but this is most likely irrelevant if it's paired with a spinner like Great Tusk.
:sv/iron bundle: :sv/palafin: :sv/chi yu: :sv/espathra: :sv/annihilape:

:sv/gastrodon:
Riley??? (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Protect
- Ancient Power

Gastro here was built to cover Hippo's defensive weaknesses. Storm Drain saves it from Palafin and Iron Bundle's Hydro Pump, and Tera Steel saves it from Iron Bundle's Freeze Dry. Furthermore, Ancient Power guarantees a 2HKO on Iron Bundle. Palafin's Close Combat is threatening if you are Tera'd, but barely cracks 30% if you aren't. Gastro doesn't quite wall Specs Flutter Mane, but does survive it with Protect and Recover. With sand active, Gastro can actually wear down Life Orb Flutter Mane, although it does lead to some close calls.

As a bonus, it easily survives Miraidon and Koraidon, with smart Tera usage.

Checks:
Nasty Plot Chi-Yu, Espathra, and Ape still all get free setup.
:sv/chi yu: :sv/espathra: :sv/annihilape:

:sv/houndstone:
Your Childhood Dog (Houndstone) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Last Respects
- Shadow Sneak
- Body Press
- Psychic Fangs

Everyone's favorite revenge killer and late-game win-con! This is the point in the team building process where I stopped using the damage calculator because I was getting bored, so I can't say for sure exactly what Houndstone can do, but they're pretty good. I went with the default set, with the one difference of switching Trick out for Psychic Fangs, because most of the threats to my team either wouldn't be disrupted by Trick, or would switch out when Houndstone comes out anyways. Either revenge kill if Sand is up, or save it and Hippowdon until the late game to clean up. In rare occasions, they can function fairly well as a wall breaker.

This was not only a turn for the worse in terms of creative team building, but also the writing quality for this RMT, as I'm getting too tired to write out specific checks for most mons. Luckily for you, for the rest of these mons I used mainly the base sets, with only minor modifications.

:sv/cyclizar:
Voom Voom (Cyclizar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Utility Cyclizar. They disrupt the enemy and clear hazards, before the enemy can do anything. What's more, Shed Tail Regenerator is insane! Fairly one dimensional, and I may use them as a sac switch in the late game when my Pokemon are starting to look injured.

:sv/miraidon:
Justin (Miraidon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Electro Drift
- Draco Meteor
- Tera Blast
- U-turn

Default Miraidon, but with one minor change. I switched out Overheat for Tera Blast Steel. The main reason for this is to turn the tables on Flutter Mane. Furthermore, Tera Steel Draco Meteor allows Miraidon to survive a Scarfed Miraidon Draco Meteor and KO the opposing Miraidon in turn. Everything else is self explanatory.

:sv/espathra:
Dinner (Espathra) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 152 HP / 244 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

Finally, we're at the only mon I made absolutely zero changes too from the default set. Electric Seed boosts Stored Power more, and lets it safely switch in against mixed attackers like Iron Valiant. Calm Mind and Roost until desired boosts, then Stored Power. Dazzling Gleam and Tera Fairy let it do well against the legendary dragons and Dark types.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
marking this down to comment on later today

Got to it:

So my initial thoughts seeing this team is that it kinda looks like its trying to do two different things. That is totally fine, but I don't think each side supports the other as well. Sand teams really need the defensive slots to fully abuse their benefits, and HO really appreciates something like Screens to fully abuse it, and Houndstone is generally a poor fit for HO. Espathra is a mon that is really best under Screens support. I would recommend running something over Espathra, who fit more on Hyper Offense builds. I think your team would really benefit from something like Corviknight over something like Gastro as it gives you a check to Iron Bundle/Flutter Mane while also providing a safer method of hazard removal. Espathra would probably do well being replaced by something that can punish entries of something like Koraidon, so a Great Tusk would work well there. Great Tusk also punishes a lot of Miraidon's checks, so it can be used well with it, and lets you run Stealth Rock on it, freeing Hippowdon to use something like Whirlwind.

This way, you wouldn't need tera steel on Miraidon, and can run another item/set potentially, such as Choice Scarf for Speed Control/Double Dance for a late game sweeper after Houndstone pressures threats.

I would also change Houndstone to Jolly, as it lets you outspeed Chi-Yu, which can be threatening to this team which relies on Miraidon.

The final change I would make is go Toxapex over Cyclizar, as not much on this team enjoys Cyclizar apart from Espathra, which already doesn't fit on this team. Toxapex gives you a softcheck to Chi-Yu, while also providing you with a way to pressure opponents with Sand + Toxic Spikes.

Here is my suggested team:

https://pokepast.es/02f360067df89e53

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)