Gen 2 [Ubers] Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Contributor to Smogon
:gs/tyranitar:

[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. Its ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like resisting Normal, having access to Curse and Roar, and having few special weaknesses means that Tyranitar fits perfectly on all kinds of teams from offense to stall. The rarity of effective checks to Tyranitar like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also means that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch out once it starts boosting with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often finds itself using Roar in conjunction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat and thus struggles with the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and have answers to it, such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks are weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurts Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]
name: CurseTar
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Curse
move 3: Roar
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 204 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This is Tyranitar's most popular set thanks to its good role compression: checking Snorlax, Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move, and Lugia is invaluable for many teams. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's attacking move of choice, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar set the most reliable check to them in the tier. Roar also prevents Tyranitar from being phazed by opposing Tyranitar while asleep. Rest gives this set necessary longevity, as without it, Tyranitar gets worn down too quickly, preventing it from properly checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar PP stall variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allows it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor: this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed, which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazers like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with a boosted Submission. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster can set Spikes for Tyranitar and help it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem, and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to wear them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and scares out Cloyster; Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]
name: Roar + 3 Attacks
move 2: Roar
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Flamethrower / Surf

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Tyranitar's large movepool and high attacking stats let it lure and remove checks to itself and its teammates. Even on a specially oriented set, Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it, Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for threats while potentially chipping them with Spikes support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the foe's Special Defense, which can be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. Flamethrower is commonly chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross for super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Fire Blast is another option over Flamethrower, as it can reach some benchmarks that Flamethrower can't. For example, Fire Blast gets a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix that Flamethrower misses out on. Fire Blast also pressures Heracross harder, as it now has a chance of being 2HKOed.

Team Options
========

Offensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's wide coverage being able to lure Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other good offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar checks Snorlax for them in return. However, Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse sets in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness is decreased if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Lugia, are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower, while it switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar, which potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy, and running Screech means that Tyranitar can't scout for threatening foes and chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over one of Rest or Roar to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of Tyranitar staying in on them. Lastly, either Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar as well; Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that 2HKOes Celebi, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 and does good damage to opposing Tyranitar without offering much outside of that.

On the 3 Attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over either Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, in particular, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move, and, unless Tyranitar drops the foe's Special Defense with Crunch, the Pokemon it's supposed to trap will usually stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does. Lastly, Gengar is not a common enough Pokemon to justify running Pursuit, making Tyranitar be better off using other moves.

An all-out attacker set with Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf is also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest, Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten to 2HKO Tyranitar with their Earthquake. Both Pokemon are OHKOed by Surf, however. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can use Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf and Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any attacks from Tyranitar aside from Crunch and Surf while threatening to OHKO Tyranitar with Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all health lost and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass, forcing Tyranitar to use Rest or forcing it out. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants, however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can recover if the respective secondary effects of their moves trigger.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten to 3HKO it with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants, however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into Curse Tyranitar and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, allowing Pokemon like Cloyster to come in on it for free. Toxic from Mewtwo and Forretress can eventually force Tyranitar to use Rest, leaving it similarly vulnerable.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies Curse Tyranitar's sweep attempts thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are especially annoying to Tyranitar, as thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running to pivot their teammates in accordingly.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into an OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop and easily switches into it, as it resists both of its STAB attacks and is naturally bulky.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes a decent chunk from Rock Slide but can scare Tyranitar off with its STAB Megahorn and heal itself with Rest; it must be careful of Fire Blast, however.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/corvere.306317/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/isa.168574/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/mr-378.5541/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/clas.545372/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/aurora.109385/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/dawn-of-ares.467437/

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
its access to moves like Curse, Roar, a Normal resist-which also give it a resistance to Explosion and Self-Destruct-, and a slow Roar
1. i think it's kinda weird to put heavy emphasis on normal resisting curse + roar user as something unique, given that we have steelix/rhydon/skarmory/golem (technically) all matching these traits. ttar fits them too but what makes him stand out is the typing and stats, with regards to the stats specifically fewer special weaknesses and high special bulk. ctrl-f for ho-oh also only gave one hit, i'd mention ttar being the best firebird check in the tier in the intro
2. roar is listed twice, but i'd cut mentioning the slow roar altogether here, it's not really a major selling point that you underspeed -1 lugia (if you do drop your speed which is not a guarantee).
Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and pack answers to it such as Earthquake Snorlax and Earthquake or Submission Mew, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep is unlikely.
meme or not, i dont think you should undersell the sweep potential that cursetar does have. curse ttar is winning games, and even vs prepared opponents you can remove the checks and counters to facilitate the sweep. vani vs. mr.378 w5 this past UWL is a good example
i also dont think eq lax and to some degree submission mew constitute top "answers" to ttar. mew can do it but it's shaky, especially factoring in accuracy of submission. eq lax doesnt really win if it switches in on +1 ttar since +0 eq 5hkos.
i would rather mention steelix, golem, celebi and/or cloyster (the surf 2hko is unlikely from full but ttar likely came in on spikes and/or lax dedge anyway) as checks, at least to the curse set. eq lax is a ttar bait, not an answer, so it shouldn't be in this section unless you rephrase it to be about a broader set of ttar sets than just curse.
This set is Tyranitar's best thanks to the various key roles it fulfills.
i'd be wary of stating this as a fact, this article is not gonna be updated often. i'd just settle for it being a strong and/or popular set, but not the definite best. id also list rslide first, the moveset police probably agrees
as without it Tyranitar would lose to the Pokemon its supposed to check
you still handle monolax well even without rest. i'd mention being able to restloop mewtwos without fighting moves as a merit too
This (0 Speed EVs) should only used in teams that are extremely weak to them however, as the downsides of Tyranitar being slower than max Speed Tyranitar, Exeggutor, and Marowak can be very impactful.
i agree with this, which is why i would not set ttar to minimum speed in the analysis itself, however it can be mentioned as an option for lugia-weak teams. i'd also mention ttar with 208 speed (204/252 speed EVs, or 9/15 DVs) which still underspeeds full speed lugia at -1 while speedtieing exeggutor as opposed to being slower than it.
Cloyster lays down Spikes for Tyranitar to Roar and can help Tyranitar against Ground-types such as Golem and Rhyhorn.
rhydon*, might wanna mention steelix too
Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar and it appreciates the Snorlax ensurance Tyranitar gives.
dunno if i agree that snorlax is a mon that appreciates opposing lax being removed more than others, also it isn't self-evident why a double curse core is a positive so you might wanna expand on that

the 3 atks set looks good but id write smth on fire blast vs. flamethrower. the calcs arent necessarily all there for flamethrower so some justification is required:
Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. Steelix: 173-204 (49 - 57.7%) -- 57.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. Steelix: 219-258 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. Heracross: 137-162 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. Heracross: 173-204 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 28.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

in team options i'd also mention offensive handling of lax i.e. booms, not just barrier2/skarm stuff. restless ttar means youre less helpful on stalls and more helpful on offense, team options should reflect this.
Lastly, moves like Hidden Power Bug and Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar to hit Pokemon like Celebi and Steelix harder, respectively.
eq is weaker than surf and fire moves vs steelix. eq really doesnt hit that many things better than other moves in ubers, only opposing ttar/jolteon/raikou (and dpunch exists for other ttar ofc but unreliable)

i'd restructure the checks and counters section
1. rock resists that can hit for SE/celebi.
2. water types, including cloyster. you can shift these two around if you wish to put more emphasis on handling all ttars vs. handling curse ttar
3. exeggutor (with giga drain)
4. sleep and toxic - important to say why is ttar in particular a good target for sleep? answer: he isn't necessarily, but some offensive structures rely on cloyster to break curse ttar but do not want to send it in directly on ttar because cloy takes too much damage. both egg and lax can enter on cursetar comfortably, sleep him and then go to cloyster without taking damage. similar with toxic - you can go mewtwo, toxic and stall while waiting for rest, then switch to cloy for surf.

there's smth to be said for using generally bulky mons like softboiled mew/recover mewtwo to sus out what set youre facing and then pivot accordingly

heracross and umbreon can go wherever from 3-6
marowak can go into the ground types section
i'd never advise gengar as a ttar check or counter. youre truly desperate if you send in the spook as an answer to ttar. this section isnt meant to be about baits which i feel like youre angling it towards with mentions of ground/fighting coverage

--

despite the fairly long list i think you did a good job, ping me when youve processed the above and ill take a second look

corvere

1. i think it's kinda weird to put heavy emphasis on normal resisting curse + roar user as something unique, given that we have steelix/rhydon/skarmory/golem (technically) all matching these traits. ttar fits them too but what makes him stand out is the typing and stats, with regards to the stats specifically fewer special weaknesses and high special bulk. ctrl-f for ho-oh also only gave one hit, i'd mention ttar being the best firebird check in the tier in the intro
2. roar is listed twice, but i'd cut mentioning the slow roar altogether here, it's not really a major selling point that you underspeed -1 lugia (if you do drop your speed which is not a guarantee).

meme or not, i dont think you should undersell the sweep potential that cursetar does have. curse ttar is winning games, and even vs prepared opponents you can remove the checks and counters to facilitate the sweep. vani vs. mr.378 w5 this past UWL is a good example
i also dont think eq lax and to some degree submission mew constitute top "answers" to ttar. mew can do it but it's shaky, especially factoring in accuracy of submission. eq lax doesnt really win if it switches in on +1 ttar since +0 eq 5hkos.
i would rather mention steelix, golem, celebi and/or cloyster (the surf 2hko is unlikely from full but ttar likely came in on spikes and/or lax dedge anyway) as checks, at least to the curse set. eq lax is a ttar bait, not an answer, so it shouldn't be in this section unless you rephrase it to be about a broader set of ttar sets than just curse.

i'd be wary of stating this as a fact, this article is not gonna be updated often. i'd just settle for it being a strong and/or popular set, but not the definite best. id also list rslide first, the moveset police probably agrees

you still handle monolax well even without rest. i'd mention being able to restloop mewtwos without fighting moves as a merit too

i agree with this, which is why i would not set ttar to minimum speed in the analysis itself, however it can be mentioned as an option for lugia-weak teams. i'd also mention ttar with 208 speed (204/252 speed EVs, or 9/15 DVs) which still underspeeds full speed lugia at -1 while speedtieing exeggutor as opposed to being slower than it.

rhydon*, might wanna mention steelix too

dunno if i agree that snorlax is a mon that appreciates opposing lax being removed more than others, also it isn't self-evident why a double curse core is a positive so you might wanna expand on that

the 3 atks set looks good but id write smth on fire blast vs. flamethrower. the calcs arent necessarily all there for flamethrower so some justification is required:
Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. Steelix: 173-204 (49 - 57.7%) -- 57.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. Steelix: 219-258 (62 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Flamethrower vs. Heracross: 137-162 (37.7 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. Heracross: 173-204 (47.6 - 56.1%) -- 28.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

in team options i'd also mention offensive handling of lax i.e. booms, not just barrier2/skarm stuff. restless ttar means youre less helpful on stalls and more helpful on offense, team options should reflect this.

eq is weaker than surf and fire moves vs steelix. eq really doesnt hit that many things better than other moves in ubers, only opposing ttar/jolteon/raikou (and dpunch exists for other ttar ofc but unreliable)

i'd restructure the checks and counters section
1. rock resists that can hit for SE/celebi.
2. water types, including cloyster. you can shift these two around if you wish to put more emphasis on handling all ttars vs. handling curse ttar
3. exeggutor (with giga drain)
4. sleep and toxic - important to say why is ttar in particular a good target for sleep? answer: he isn't necessarily, but some offensive structures rely on cloyster to break curse ttar but do not want to send it in directly on ttar because cloy takes too much damage. both egg and lax can enter on cursetar comfortably, sleep him and then go to cloyster without taking damage. similar with toxic - you can go mewtwo, toxic and stall while waiting for rest, then switch to cloy for surf.

there's smth to be said for using generally bulky mons like softboiled mew/recover mewtwo to sus out what set youre facing and then pivot accordingly

heracross and umbreon can go wherever from 3-6
marowak can go into the ground types section
i'd never advise gengar as a ttar check or counter. youre truly desperate if you send in the spook as an answer to ttar. this section isnt meant to be about baits which i feel like youre angling it towards with mentions of ground/fighting coverage

--

despite the fairly long list i think you did a good job, ping me when youve processed the above and ill take a second look
implemented everything

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
AMGP!

Add Remove Comment Highlight

[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all-around all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. Its ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, (AC) such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like being a Normal-type resist, having access to Curse, (RC) a Normal resist, moved and Roar, and having few special weaknesses, (AC) mean that Tyranitar is extremely splashable and thus fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, from offense to stall. The lack of common checks like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also mean that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch-out switch out once it started boosting itself with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often times finds itself using Roar in conjuction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat, (RC) and thus, (RC) can't break through the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and pack have informal answers to it, (AC) such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar hard informal, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks were weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurt Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon its it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]
name: Cursettar Support only call it cursetar if thats whats its usually referred to as; if it is then just fix the spelling of it, otherwise dont call it that

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is Tyranitar's most popular one thanks to the various major roles it fulfills Tyranitar is a popular Curse user thanks to its large role compression, such as feel free to reword this, but dont say "this set" in future. if you dont reword this then just extend it as examples are needed here. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's STAB move of choice and works as the sole attacking move of this set fluff, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes out Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar the most consistent check to them just for ttar or all mons in general? reword either way. Roar also gives negative priority when Tyranitar is asleep, which moved prevents it Tyranitar from being phazed out from which pokemon? while asleep. Rest gives this set much necessary longevity, as without it Tyranitar would get worn down too quickly, preventing it from fulfilling it's job at checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar restloop variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. (remove line break) Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allow it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor;. (AS, RP) A 204 Speed Tyranitar outslows this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed,; (AC, RS) this which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazing Pokemon like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with what?. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster lays down can set Spikes for Tyranitar to Roar and can help Tyranitar it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to worn them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and it also scares out Cloyster.; (RP, AS) Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]
move 3: Flamethrower / Surf Crunch
move 4: Crunch Flamethrower / Surf keep order consistent with analysis

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This variant of Tyranitar focuses on luring and taking out checks to itself or one of its teammates with different coverage moves Tyranitar's large movepool and high stats let it lure and remove checks to itself or its teammates. Even in a Special Attack oriented specially-oriented set, (RC) Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for enemy threats and rack-up while chipping them with informal Spikes damage support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks of to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the Special Defense of a Pokemon, which could be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. (remove line break) Flamethrower is generally commonly informal chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross, for super-effective super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem, while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise would wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Fire Blast is another option over Flamethrower, as it can reach some benchmarks that Flamethrower can't:. (remove colon, AP) For example, Fire Blast gets a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix that Flamethrower misses out on. Fire Blast also pressures Heracross harder, as it now has a chance of getting being 2HKOed.

Team Options
========

This Tyranitar variant works best on oOffensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's large coverage, as those styles of teams in particular appreciate Tyranitar's its ability to lure out Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through this Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Pokemon like Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew, are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other fantastic fantastic or just good? offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar, in return, checks Snorlax for them. (remove line break) Roar 3 Attacks Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse Snorlax in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness will be is worsened if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, Curse Skarmory, and Curse Lugia are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower. Snorlax, (AC) in return, (AC) switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar. This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy and it means that Tyranitar can't scout for enemy threats and rack-up damage with Spikes chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over what? as a way of hitting to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of a staying Tyranitar. Lastly, Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar; Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that hits 2HKOes Celebi super effectively, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 while also doing good damage to opposing Tyranitar, but it doesn't offer much outside of that.

All-Out Attacker sets with Rock Slide / Crunch / Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game. moved down

On the 3 attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, mainly, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move and, unless Tyranitar drops the Special Defense of the opponent with Crunch, most of the times usually said Pokemon its it's supposed to trap, (RC) will stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does.

All-Out Attacker sets with Rock Slide / Crunch / Flamethrower Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower, and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground Types Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO with their STAB fluff Earthquakes,. (RC, AP) bBoth must be careful of Surf however, as they get are OHKOed by it. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super-effective super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf or Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any Tyranitar attacks from Tyranitar, aside from Crunch or Surf, (AC) and threatens Tyranitar back with an OHKO with its STAB fluff Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all damage done and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass. Celebi can also force Tyranitar to rest with Toxic, rendering it useless for 2 turns and allowing for a teammate to get a free switch into it. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can Recover if their secondary effect triggers. note to gpers that ttar only 3hkoes otherwise

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts, (AC) and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options, and doesn't mind even coverage moves from it. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten it back for a 3HKO with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into CurseTar variants and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, making it so that Pokemon like Cloyster can come in on Tyranitar for free. Similarly, Mewtwo and Forretress can Toxic poison Tyranitar to eventually force it to rest so that Cloyster can come in for free.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies CurseTar's sweep attempts with Curse thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little-to little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery moves**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are special annoyances to Tyranitar, as, (AC) thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly fluff.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost itself with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into a OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB attacks, (RC) and, (AC) thanks to its nice natural bulk, doesn't mind any of its coverage attacks.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes a decent chunk from Rock Slide but can scare Tyranitar off with its STAB Megahorn and heal back all damage done itself with Rest; it must be careful of Fire Blast, however.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[corvere, 306317]]
- Quality checked by: [[Isa, 168574], [Mr.378, 5541]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

corvere

AMGP!

Add Remove Comment Highlight

[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all-around all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. Its ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, (AC) such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like being a Normal-type resist, having access to Curse, (RC) a Normal resist, moved and Roar, and having few special weaknesses, (AC) mean that Tyranitar is extremely splashable and thus fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, from offense to stall. The lack of common checks like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also mean that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch-out switch out once it started boosting itself with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often times finds itself using Roar in conjuction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat, (RC) and thus, (RC) can't break through the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and pack have informal answers to it, (AC) such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar hard informal, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks were weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurt Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon its it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]
name: Cursettar Support only call it cursetar if thats whats its usually referred to as; if it is then just fix the spelling of it, otherwise dont call it that

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is Tyranitar's most popular one thanks to the various major roles it fulfills Tyranitar is a popular Curse user thanks to its large role compression, such as feel free to reword this, but dont say "this set" in future. if you dont reword this then just extend it as examples are needed here. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's STAB move of choice and works as the sole attacking move of this set fluff, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes out Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar the most consistent check to them just for ttar or all mons in general? reword either way. Roar also gives negative priority when Tyranitar is asleep, which moved prevents it Tyranitar from being phazed out from which pokemon? while asleep. Rest gives this set much necessary longevity, as without it Tyranitar would get worn down too quickly, preventing it from fulfilling it's job at checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar restloop variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. (remove line break) Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allow it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor;. (AS, RP) A 204 Speed Tyranitar outslows this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed,; (AC, RS) this which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazing Pokemon like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with what?. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster lays down can set Spikes for Tyranitar to Roar and can help Tyranitar it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to worn them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and it also scares out Cloyster.; (RP, AS) Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]
move 3: Flamethrower / Surf Crunch
move 4: Crunch Flamethrower / Surf keep order consistent with analysis

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This variant of Tyranitar focuses on luring and taking out checks to itself or one of its teammates with different coverage moves Tyranitar's large movepool and high stats let it lure and remove checks to itself or its teammates. Even in a Special Attack oriented specially-oriented set, (RC) Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for enemy threats and rack-up while chipping them with informal Spikes damage support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks of to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the Special Defense of a Pokemon, which could be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. (remove line break) Flamethrower is generally commonly informal chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross, for super-effective super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem, while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise would wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Fire Blast is another option over Flamethrower, as it can reach some benchmarks that Flamethrower can't:. (remove colon, AP) For example, Fire Blast gets a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix that Flamethrower misses out on. Fire Blast also pressures Heracross harder, as it now has a chance of getting being 2HKOed.

Team Options
========

This Tyranitar variant works best on oOffensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's large coverage, as those styles of teams in particular appreciate Tyranitar's its ability to lure out Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through this Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Pokemon like Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew, are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other fantastic fantastic or just good? offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar, in return, checks Snorlax for them. (remove line break) Roar 3 Attacks Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse Snorlax in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness will be is worsened if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, Curse Skarmory, and Curse Lugia are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower. Snorlax, (AC) in return, (AC) switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar. This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy and it means that Tyranitar can't scout for enemy threats and rack-up damage with Spikes chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over what? as a way of hitting to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of a staying Tyranitar. Lastly, Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar; Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that hits 2HKOes Celebi super effectively, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 while also doing good damage to opposing Tyranitar, but it doesn't offer much outside of that.

All-Out Attacker sets with Rock Slide / Crunch / Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game. moved down

On the 3 attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, mainly, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move and, unless Tyranitar drops the Special Defense of the opponent with Crunch, most of the times usually said Pokemon its it's supposed to trap, (RC) will stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does.

All-Out Attacker sets with Rock Slide / Crunch / Flamethrower Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower, and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground Types Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO with their STAB fluff Earthquakes,. (RC, AP) bBoth must be careful of Surf however, as they get are OHKOed by it. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super-effective super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf or Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any Tyranitar attacks from Tyranitar, aside from Crunch or Surf, (AC) and threatens Tyranitar back with an OHKO with its STAB fluff Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all damage done and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass. Celebi can also force Tyranitar to rest with Toxic, rendering it useless for 2 turns and allowing for a teammate to get a free switch into it. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can Recover if their secondary effect triggers. note to gpers that ttar only 3hkoes otherwise

**Bulky Waters Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts, (AC) and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options, and doesn't mind even coverage moves from it. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten it back for a 3HKO with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into CurseTar variants and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, making it so that Pokemon like Cloyster can come in on Tyranitar for free. Similarly, Mewtwo and Forretress can Toxic poison Tyranitar to eventually force it to rest so that Cloyster can come in for free.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies CurseTar's sweep attempts with Curse thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little-to little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery moves**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are special annoyances to Tyranitar, as, (AC) thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly fluff.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost itself with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into a OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB attacks, (RC) and, (AC) thanks to its nice natural bulk, doesn't mind any of its coverage attacks.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes a decent chunk from Rock Slide but can scare Tyranitar off with its STAB Megahorn and heal back all damage done itself with Rest; it must be careful of Fire Blast, however.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]
mostly implemented. there were some things that i left as they were; the curse set is commonly called cursettar and it being called 'support' doesnt give it merit as both curse and 3attacks are supportive in their own way (curse through curse and roar, and 3attacks through its coverage and roar)

aurora

GODQUAZA
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add
remove
comments

crediting clas too

[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. Its ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like being a Normal-type resist resisting Normal, having access to Curse and Roar, and having few special weaknesses, (remove comma) mean means that Tyranitar is extremely splasheable and thus fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, (remove comma) from offense to stall. The lack rarity of common effective checks to Tyranitar like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also mean means that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch out once it started starts boosting with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often times finds itself using Roar in conjuction conjunction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat and thus can't break through struggles with the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and have answers to it, such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks were are weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurt hurts Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

CurseTar This is Tyranitar's most popular set thanks to its large good role compression;: (replace this semicolon with a colon) checking Snorlax, Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move, and Lugia is invaluable for many teams. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's attacking move of choice, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes out Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar set the most reliable check to them in the tier. Roar also prevents Tyranitar from being phazed out by opposing Tyranitar while asleep. Rest gives this set necessary longevity, as without it, (add comma) Tyranitar would get gets worn down too quickly, preventing it from fulfilling it's job at properly checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar restloop (never seen "restloop" before; maybe "PP stall" would work better? if that's the idea) variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allow allows it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor; this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed, which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazing Pokemon phazers like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with a boosted Submission. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster can set Spikes for Tyranitar and can help it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem, (add comma) and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to worn wear them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and scares out Cloyster; Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Tyranitar's large movepool and high attacking stats let it lure and remove checks to itself or and its teammates. Even in on a specially-oriented specially oriented set, Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it, (add comma) Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for threats while potentially chipping them with Spikes support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the Special Defense of a Pokemon the foe's Special Defense, which could can be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. Flamethrower is commonly chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross, (remove comma) for super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem, (remove comma) while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise would wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Fire Blast is another option over Flamethrower, as it can reach some benchmarks that Flamethrower can't. For example, Fire Blast gets a guaranteed 2HKO on Steelix that Flamethrower misses out on. Fire Blast also pressures Heracross harder, as it now has a chance of being 2HKOed.

Team Options
========

Offensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's large wide coverage, as them in particular appreciate its ability to being able to lure surprise Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew, (remove comma) are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other good offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar, in return, checks Snorlax for them in return. However, Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse sets in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness is worsened decreased if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, Curse Skarmory, and Curse Lugia, (add comma) are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower. Snorlax, in return, switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar. This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy, (add comma) and it running Screech means that Tyranitar can't scout for enemy threats threatening foes and chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over Rest to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of a staying Tyranitar staying in. Lastly, either Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar; Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that 2HKOes celebi Celebi, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 while also doing and does good damage to opposing Tyranitar, but doesn't offer without offering much outside of that.

On the 3 attacks Attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over either Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, mainly in particular, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move and, unless Tyranitar drops the Special Defense of the opponent foe's Special Defense with Crunch, usually said the Pokemon it's supposed to trap will usually stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does.

All-Out Attacker sets An all-out attacker set with Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are is also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest, (add comma) Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten to 2HKO Tyranitar with a 2HKO with their Earthquak Earthquake. Both must be careful of Surf however, as they are OHKOed by it Pokemon are OHKOed by Surf, however. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can use Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf or and Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any attacks from Tyranitar aside from Crunch or and Surf, (remove comma) and threatens to OHKO Tyranitar back with an OHKO with its Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all damage done health lost and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass. Celebi can also force Tyranitar to rest use Rest with Toxic, rendering it useless for 2 two turns and allowing for a teammate to get a free freely switch into it. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants, (add comma) however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can Recover recover if their the respective secondary effect triggers effects of their moves trigger.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten it back for a to 3HKO it with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants, (add comma) however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into Curse variants Tyranitar and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, making it so that allowing Pokemon like Cloyster can to come in on Tyranitar it for free. Similarly, Toxic from Mewtwo and Forretress can Toxic Tyranitar to eventually force it Tyranitar to rest use Rest, leaving it similarly vulnerable. so that Cloyster can come in for free.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies CurseTar's Curse Tyranitar's sweep attempts thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are special annoyances especially annoying to Tyranitar, as, (remove comma) thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost itself with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into a an OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop and commonly easily switches into it, (add comma) as it resists both of its STAB attacks, not minding them thanks to its nice natural bulk. and is naturally bulky.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes a decent chunk from Rock Slide but can scare Tyranitar off with its STAB Megahorn and heal itself with Rest; it must be careful of Fire Blast, however.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/corvere.306317
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/mr-378.5541
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/clas.545372
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/aurora.109385

1/2
Aurora_Small.gif

Last edited:

corvere

add
remove
comments

crediting clas too

[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. Its ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like being a Normal-type resist resisting Normal, having access to Curse and Roar, and having few special weaknesses, (remove comma) mean means that Tyranitar is extremely splasheable and thus fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, (remove comma) from offense to stall. The lack rarity of common effective checks to Tyranitar like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also mean means that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch out once it started starts boosting with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often times finds itself using Roar in conjuction conjunction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat and thus can't break through struggles with the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and have answers to it, such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks were are weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurt hurts Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

CurseTar This is Tyranitar's most popular set thanks to its large good role compression;: (replace this semicolon with a colon) checking Snorlax, Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move, and Lugia is invaluable for many teams. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's attacking move of choice, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes out Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar set the most reliable check to them in the tier. Roar also prevents Tyranitar from being phazed out by opposing Tyranitar while asleep. Rest gives this set necessary longevity, as without it, (add comma) Tyranitar would get gets worn down too quickly, preventing it from fulfilling it's job at properly checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar restloop (never seen "restloop" before; maybe "PP stall" would work better? if that's the idea) variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allow allows it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor; this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed, which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazing Pokemon phazers like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with a boosted Submission. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster can set Spikes for Tyranitar and can help it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem, (add comma) and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to worn wear them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and scares out Cloyster; Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Tyranitar's large movepool and high attacking stats let it lure and remove checks to itself or and its teammates. Even in on a specially-oriented specially oriented set, Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it, (add comma) Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for threats while potentially chipping them with Spikes support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the Special Defense of a Pokemon the foe's Special Defense, which could can be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. Flamethrower is commonly chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross, (remove comma) for super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem, (remove comma) while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise would wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Team Options
========

Offensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's large wide coverage, as them in particular appreciate its ability to being able to lure surprise Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew, (remove comma) are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other good offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar, in return, checks Snorlax for them in return. However, Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse sets in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness is worsened decreased if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, Curse Skarmory, and Curse Lugia, (add comma) are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower. Snorlax, in return, switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar. This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy, (add comma) and it running Screech means that Tyranitar can't scout for enemy threats threatening foes and chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over Rest to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of a staying Tyranitar staying in. Lastly, either Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar; Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that 2HKOes celebi Celebi, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 while also doing and does good damage to opposing Tyranitar, but doesn't offer without offering much outside of that.

On the 3 attacks Attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over either Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, mainly in particular, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move and, unless Tyranitar drops the Special Defense of the opponent foe's Special Defense with Crunch, usually said the Pokemon it's supposed to trap will usually stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does.

All-Out Attacker sets An all-out attacker set with Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf are is also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest, (add comma) Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten to 2HKO Tyranitar with a 2HKO with their Earthquak Earthquake. Both must be careful of Surf however, as they are OHKOed by it Pokemon are OHKOed by Surf, however. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can use Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf or and Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any attacks from Tyranitar aside from Crunch or and Surf, (remove comma) and threatens to OHKO Tyranitar back with an OHKO with its Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all damage done health lost and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass. Celebi can also force Tyranitar to rest use Rest with Toxic, rendering it useless for 2 two turns and allowing for a teammate to get a free freely switch into it. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants, (add comma) however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can Recover recover if their the respective secondary effect triggers effects of their moves trigger.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten it back for a to 3HKO it with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants, (add comma) however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into Curse variants Tyranitar and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, making it so that allowing Pokemon like Cloyster can to come in on Tyranitar it for free. Similarly, Toxic from Mewtwo and Forretress can Toxic Tyranitar to eventually force it Tyranitar to rest use Rest, leaving it similarly vulnerable. so that Cloyster can come in for free.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies CurseTar's Curse Tyranitar's sweep attempts thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are special annoyances especially annoying to Tyranitar, as, (remove comma) thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost itself with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into a an OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop and commonly easily switches into it, (add comma) as it resists both of its STAB attacks, not minding them thanks to its nice natural bulk. and is naturally bulky.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/corvere.306317
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/mr-378.5541
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/clas.545372
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/aurora.109385

1/2
View attachment 514489
implemented. thank you !

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
add
remove
comment
[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. It'sIts ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like resisting Normal, having access to Curse and Roar, and having few special weaknesses means that Tyranitar fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, (remove comma) from offense to stall. The rarity of effective checks to Tyranitar like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also means that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch out once it starts boosting with Curse.

However, Tyranitar often finds itself using Roar in conjunction with Spikes support as a way of making progress through teams, as the lack of a powerful STAB move means that it can't fully exploit its gargantuan base Attack stat and thus struggles with the bulky nature of the metagame. Furthermore, many teams are prepared for Tyranitar and have answers to it, such as Celebi, Golem, and Steelix, all of which greatly threaten Tyranitar, meaning a Curse Tyranitar sweep should only be considered when all of its checks are weakened or removed. Lastly, the relevance of Growth + Baton Pass Pokemon like Jolteon and Vaporeon in the tier hurts Tyranitar's ability to reliably check Pokemon it's supposed to, like Mewtwo.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This is Tyranitar's most popular set thanks to its good role compression: checking Snorlax, Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move, and Lugia is invaluable for many teams. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's attacking move of choice, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar set the most reliable check to them in the tier. Roar also prevents Tyranitar from being phazed by opposing Tyranitar while asleep. Rest gives this set necessary longevity, as without it, Tyranitar gets worn down too quickly, preventing it from properly checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar PP stall variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allows it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor; this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed, which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazers like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with a boosted Submission. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster can set Spikes for Tyranitar and can help it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem, and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to wear them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and scares out Cloyster; Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Tyranitar's large movepool and high attacking stats let it lure and remove checks to itself and its teammates. Even on a specially oriented set, Rock Slide is mandatory, as without it, Tyranitar would not be able to check key Pokemon like Zapdos and Ho-Oh. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and lets Tyranitar scout for threats while potentially chipping them with Spikes support. Crunch hits Mewtwo and Celebi, two of the best checks to Tyranitar, for super effective damage; it also has the added benefit of being able to drop the foe's Special Defense, which can be useful in one-on-one scenarios against non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax and Lugia. Flamethrower is commonly chosen on the last slot to hit important targets like Forretress, Skarmory, and the rare Heracross for super effective damage. Surf can be used instead to hit Ground-types like Rhydon and Golem while hitting opposing Tyranitar decently hard. It's worth mentioning that both Flamethrower and Surf hit Steelix, a Pokemon that would otherwise wall both of Tyranitar's STAB moves.

Team Options
========

Offensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's wide coverage being able to lure Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other good offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar checks Snorlax for them in return. However, Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse sets in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness is decreased if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, (remove comma) and Curse Lugia, are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower, while it. Snorlax switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar, which . This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy, and running Screech means that Tyranitar can't scout for threatening foes and chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over one of Rest or Roar to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of Tyranitar staying in on them. Lastly, either Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar as well;: Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that 2HKOes Celebi, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 and does good damage to opposing Tyranitar, (remove comma) without offering much outside of that.

On the 3 Attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over either Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, in particular, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move, (add comma) and, unless Tyranitar drops the foe's Special Defense with Crunch, the Pokemon it's supposed to trap will usually stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does. Lastly, Gengar is not a common enough Pokemon to justify running Pursuit, making Tyranitar be better off using other moves.

An all-out attacker set with Rock Slide, Crunch, Flamethrower and one of Dynamic Punch or Surf is also an option to maximize Tyranitar's wallbreaking capabilities. However, it's a set that is very reliant on its teammates, as without Roar and Rest, Tyranitar can't effectively do its main role of checking Snorlax throughout a game.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten to 2HKO Tyranitar with their Earthquake. Both Pokemon are OHKOed by Surf, however. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can use Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf and Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any attacks from Tyranitar aside from Crunch and Surf, and threatens while threatening to OHKO Tyranitar with Earthquake.

**Celebi**: Celebi is one of the best answers to Tyranitar, as it can comfortably recover all health lost and hit back hard with a super effective Hidden Power Grass, forcing Tyranitar to use Rest or forcing it out. It should be careful of Fire Blast and Crunch variants, however, as they can potentially deal more damage to Celebi than it can recover if the respective secondary effects of their moves trigger.

**Bulky Water-types**: Pokemon like Vaporeon and Suicune don't mind any of Tyranitar's attacks and can proceed to hit hard back with Surf. Quagsire can use Haze to reset all of Tyranitar's Curse boosts and takes very little from Rock Slide, Crunch, and its coverage options. While it doesn't like switching into Tyranitar directly, Cloyster functions as one of the best Tyranitar checks in the tier thanks to its ability to immediately threaten to 3HKO it with Surf due to its superior Speed.

**Giga Drain Exeggutor**: Exeggutor can switch into Rock Slide and heal back the damage with Giga Drain; it should be careful of Crunch and Fire Blast variants, however.

**Status**: Pokemon like Snorlax and Exeggutor can switch into Curse Tyranitar and put it to sleep for up to six turns with Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder, respectively, allowing Pokemon like Cloyster to come in on it for free. Toxic from Mewtwo and Forretress can eventually force Tyranitar to use Rest, leaving it similarly vulnerable.

**Umbreon**: Umbreon denies Curse Tyranitar's sweep attempts thanks to Charm and its good bulk. It also takes little to no damage from any of Tyranitar's coverage attacks.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are especially specially annoying to Tyranitar, as thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running to pivot their teammates in for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into an OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop and easily switches into it, (add comma) as it resists both of its STAB attacks and is naturally bulky.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Clas, 545372], [Aurora, 109385]], [Dawn of Ares,467437 ]]

gp 2/2
GP Team done
Dawn-of-Ares_Small.gif

Last edited:

corvere

add
remove
comment
[OVERVIEW]

Blessed with excellent stats all around, a unique typing, and an insane movepool, Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in GSC Ubers. It'sIts ability to check very important Pokemon in the metagame, such as Snorlax, Mewtwo, Lugia, and Ho-Oh, coupled with key attributes like resisting Normal, having access to Curse and Roar, and having few special weaknesses means that Tyranitar fits perfectly on all kinds of teams, (remove comma) from offense to stall. The rarity of effective checks to Tyranitar like Machamp and Nidoking in the metagame also means that Tyranitar usually feels less threatened to switch out once it starts boosting with Curse.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This is Tyranitar's most popular set thanks to its good role compression: checking Snorlax, Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move, and Lugia is invaluable for many teams. Curse lets Tyranitar comfortably wall non-Earthquake variants of Snorlax while making it a potential wincon. Rock Slide is Tyranitar's attacking move of choice, as there are no Pokemon immune to Rock-type attacks. Roar phazes Curse Snorlax and Barrier Mewtwo, making this Tyranitar set the most reliable check to them in the tier. Roar also prevents Tyranitar from being phazed by opposing Tyranitar while asleep. Rest gives this set necessary longevity, as without it, Tyranitar gets worn down too quickly, preventing it from properly checking Snorlax and Mewtwo; Rest also lets Tyranitar PP stall variants of Mewtwo without a Fighting-type move. Lowering Tyranitar's Speed EVs to 204 allows it to win the Curse war against opposing Curse Tyranitar and Lugia while Speed tying with Exeggutor; this also underspeeds -1 Speed Lugia and opposing Tyranitar at neutral Speed, which allows Tyranitar to not get phazed by them. Other phazers like Whirlwind Zapdos and Ho-Oh are also discouraged from phazing Tyranitar due to their critical weakness to Rock Slide.

Team Options
========

Even after a Curse boost, Mew will still threaten to break through Tyranitar with a boosted Submission. Therefore, checks to it such as Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Skarmory are good teammates. Cloyster can set Spikes for Tyranitar and can help it against Ground-types such as Steelix, Golem, and Rhydon. Snorlax can form a double Curse combination with Tyranitar, as they both share the same checks and counters and so can work together to wear them down. Zapdos defeats Earthquake variants of Lugia for Tyranitar and scares out Cloyster; Tyranitar switches into Snorlax and Mewtwo in return.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Team Options
========

Offensive teams appreciate Tyranitar's wide coverage being able to lure Steelix, Forretress, and Skarmory. Given that Curse Snorlax can potentially break through Tyranitar, more offensive ways of handling it are important. Thus, teammates such as Explosion Cloyster, Mewtwo, Exeggutor, and Mew are needed. Jolteon and Vaporeon are other good offensive teammates, as they can use Growth and Baton Pass to allow Tyranitar to wallbreak a lot easier. Tyranitar checks Snorlax for them in return. However, Tyranitar is only a temporary check to Snorlax due to it not being able to break through Curse sets in a one-on-one scenario. Additionally, Tyranitar's usefulness is decreased if Snorlax is running Earthquake. As such, checks to Earthquake variants of Snorlax, such as Barrier Mewtwo, (remove comma) and Curse Lugia, are recommended. Mono-attacker Snorlax appreciates Tyranitar's ability to cook Steel-types like Skamory, Forretress, and Steelix with Flamethrower, while it. Snorlax switches into Zapdos for Tyranitar in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Screech can be used on Curse sets as an alternative to Roar, which . This potentially enables Tyranitar to beat Barrier Mewtwo and Curse Snorlax one-on-one. However, it is less reliable than Roar due to its low accuracy, and running Screech means that Tyranitar can't scout for threatening foes and chip them with Spikes support. Surf can also be used over one of Rest or Roar to hit Rhydon and Golem trying to take advantage of Tyranitar staying in on them. Lastly, either Hidden Power Bug or Earthquake can be used over one of Rest or Roar as well;: Hidden Power Bug is Tyranitar's strongest available move that 2HKOes Celebi, while Earthquake OHKOes Jolteon at +1 and does good damage to opposing Tyranitar, (remove comma) without offering much outside of that.

On the 3 Attacks set, Pursuit can be an option over either Flamethrower or Surf to trap Pokemon like Mewtwo and, in particular, Gengar. However, Pursuit is an extremely weak move, (add comma) and, unless Tyranitar drops the foe's Special Defense with Crunch, the Pokemon it's supposed to trap will usually stay in on it, rendering Pursuit useless. It's also worth noting that a boosted Pursuit deals the same amount of damage that a regular Crunch does. Lastly, Gengar is not a common enough Pokemon to justify running Pursuit, making Tyranitar be better off using other moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ground-types**: Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Golem can immediately threaten to 2HKO Tyranitar with their Earthquake. Both Pokemon are OHKOed by Surf, however. Steelix gets a special mention, as it resists both of Tyranitar's STAB moves, can use Curse alongside Tyranitar to deny Roar attempts, and can hit back with a super effective Earthquake. However, it must be careful of Surf and Flamethrower. Marowak doesn't mind any attacks from Tyranitar aside from Crunch and Surf, and threatens while threatening to OHKO Tyranitar with Earthquake.

**Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon like Soft-Boiled Mew and Recover Mewtwo are especially specially annoying to Tyranitar, as thanks to their good natural bulk, they can scout what set Tyranitar is running to pivot their teammates in for their teammates to pivot into it accordingly.

**Fighting-type Coverage**: Pokemon like Mewtwo and Mew often run moves like Submission to immediately threaten Tyranitar with a 2HKO. Mew in particular can boost with Swords Dance and turn the 2HKO into an OHKO. Albeit rare, Machamp can KO Tyranitar even through Curse boosts thanks to Cross Chop and easily switches into it, (add comma) as it resists both of its STAB attacks and is naturally bulky.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Clas, 545372], [Aurora, 109385]], [Dawn of Ares,467437 ]]

gp 2/2
GP Team done
View attachment 515808
this is implemented and the analysis is ready to upload!! thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)