Gen 8 Tyranitar + Dragapult Sand Bulky Offence (Peaked #1, 2127 89 GXE + Quald for OLT)

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender

Originally, I wasn't planning on giving this team out at all to anyone but with my recent elimination in OLT playoffs I figured there's no real reason to keep this team a secret anymore. This team was originally made by my good friend Spencer back in 2019 but he gave me permission to RMT it for the end of the generation as I popularized it near the end of the gen and found major success with it. There are quite a few different variations of this team but I'll be posting the one I use because I think is most consistent. This team is designed to break with bandtar so that excadrill or dragapult can clean up late game. The other three mons are there to support the team with hazards, status, momentum, and item removal. This team has very few bad matchups and with the proper positioning and predictions you can win almost any game.

:tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Heavy Slam
Heavy slam on ttar is solely for clef but pays off because of how annoying clef otherwise is for this team, killing it frees up ferrothorn to leech, rotomw to toxic and volt switch, dragapult to draco, and your own clef becomes even more annoying. Plus ttar itself removed what is often the only dark resist for next time it comes in. Superpower on ttar is extremely helpful as a catch all for ferrothorn/heatran/ttar/kartana/magnezone/hydreigon surprising them when crunch would not otherwise kill. it also works great vs things like blissey/chansey who often stay in to scout what move you're going to lock into, which works really well if you had already weakened a member of their team prior. The stall matchup becomes extremely easy once you can get rid of chansey/clef as with these 2 moves as you can often just spam crunch/shadowball from pult after those are gone and get up hazards and win pretty easily. Stone edge and crunch are spammable STABs and are extremely under prepared for lacking many really solid resists.

:excadrill:
Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
Everything about this excadrill is standard and it does its usual shit. Spin is oftentimes very important when playing opposing spikestack as dragapult/ttar do not like switching into those a lot and excadrill is also often a great late game cleaner after ttar+pult have made holes in the opposing teams defence. It's pretty essential to keep drill vs HO as it outspeeds and kills almost everything and can also spin away the hazards that may have been setup.

:clefable:
Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
Clefable is also pretty standard, I elected to go with this spread instead of mixdef because I have ttar for dragapult shadow ball and I would rather be able to use clef to reliably switch into zeraora which is potentially extremely threatening to this team. Knock off is its best move as knocking shit like pexs boots, clefs leftovers/helmet, and getting it in on defoggers to knock their item like torn/landot/corv becomes extremely beneficial. It gives you an alternative to beating scarf lele too as you can just knock it and revenge kill with pult if it really comes down to that. Rocks clef is cool because it baits in those defoggers and since not a lot of shit can ohko clef you can almost always get rocks up if needed.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
Modest specs dragapult has become one of my favourite pokemon to use after spamming it on ladder and for good reason. Shadow ball is extremely spammable and its coverage moves help a lot vs most of the shit in the meta. U-turn works perfectly on this team paired with band ttar as a lot of the shit that likes to come in on pult (chansey, mandibuzz, clef, tornt, pex) all get completely trucked by ttar.

:rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Pain Split
Toxic on rotomw is solely for gastrodon though it has some other helpful moments like vs spdef bro or slowkings who sponge u turn. the ev spread is to outspeed nidoking to catch it off surprise but it works really well in situations where im low and i need to get a split off vs shit like heatran/volcanion. Outspeeding modest specs lele has its merits to and has came in clutch many times.

:ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
This ferrothorn set lets it beat magnezone so I don't lose vs kartzone and it can also annoy offensive teams without a ghost and pressures defog corviknight nicely which excadrill appreciates. Spikes is really what makes this team work as getting up all your hazards and getting knocks with clef make pult and ttar so hard to beat for most teams, having no leftovers makes scarf lele a bit more annoying but i'd rather have helmet on him too to be able to punish uturns on shit like landot to get it in range of shit like +1 iron head from drill, shadow ball etc.

Threats
The main threats to this team are rillaboom, volcarona, and blaziken. For rillaboom u wanna keep ferro+pult+clef healthy as ferro can ID up beside it which makes clef a viable switchin as it can punish drain punchs/superpowers/uturns and keeping pult above +2 ada glide range means rillaboom cant really sweep. For volc what you wanna do is keep ttar/rotomw healthy as rotomw can toxic it so you can pivot around and weaken it for drill, or if ttar is healthy you can live a +1 buzz and revenge kill. blaziken is pretty easy to deal with compared to the other 2 as it can only really setup on ferrothorn for free but having a healthy ferro is often enough as you can bait out flare blitz by going into dragapult and then going ferrothorn which kills after body press damage and recoil. (38+17+13)

Replays:
Vs stall
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1643768509-0ous5okbqdd5b66bhfmjmthog3jhvxhpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1641503834-m2q9n6w99v95udi5mgdlwkxnc91mb5bpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1640749915-wgfv8r3q14kxc5aqk727ewjq0tfynudpw

vs bulky offence
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1650715544-1kznjbaf2fr2tmqw056rk111i10dvkfpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1644053835-6uvzfd8f3qcwsad3nggs1zf24ftitz5pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1639990117

i don't really have any replays vs rain but it completely fucks on that too as dragapult kills everything, ferro/clef punishes skewdas moves, rotomw volts out and u have ur own weather that also kills everything else.

https://pokepast.es/85d2f1edf9c68d4a this is the import

special shoutouts to spencer for actually making the team and shoutout to him, Hiye bbeeaa Storm Zone and bdhb for helping me get better not only with the team but at the game in general.

Last edited:
Did you run into any Life Orb Garchomp? Seems like it would 6-0 if it gets +2 on anything. Just don't let it set up? Scald/Steam spam seems a little weird to handle too.

Really good team though. All the slots are really tight.

Only thing I would suggest is maybe moving some SpA EVs on Dragapult to Defense. I'm sure this may break some offensive thresholds for dragapult, but it buys you some extra room in the Rilla and Blaziken HO matchup.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult in Grassy Terrain: 234-277 (73.8 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult: 211-249 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 100 Def Dragapult: 269-316 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Flip Turn vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult in Rain: 133-157 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Don't even have to go full guarantee. Just enough to improve the roll. Still hits harder than timid, either way.

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Did you run into any Life Orb Garchomp? Seems like it would 6-0 if it gets +2 on anything. Just don't let it set up? Scald/Steam spam seems a little weird to handle too.

Really good team though. All the slots are really tight.

Only thing I would suggest is maybe moving some SpA EVs on Dragapult to Defense. I'm sure this may break some offensive thresholds for dragapult, but it buys you some extra room in the Rilla and Blaziken HO matchup.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult in Grassy Terrain: 234-277 (73.8 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252 Atk Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult: 211-249 (66.5 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 100 Def Dragapult: 269-316 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Flip Turn vs. 0 HP / 84 Def Dragapult in Rain: 133-157 (41.9 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Don't even have to go full guarantee. Just enough to improve the roll. Still hits harder than timid, either way.
Vs chomp u can hard pult or if it really comes docwn to it sack clef then revenge kill with pult or sack ttar and revenge kill with drill. and no dragapult is already pretty weak as is if i cut down its special attack it would be complete trash. there are still viable counterplays to rilla and blaziken on this team and if i made dragapult 100 defence 152 special attack id rather just use something else completely.

Really nice team. Well done for bringing back Tyranitar to where it belongs.

About the spread for Dragapult, I've been thinking about the same issue Son of Veez had, and I agree it cuts down on power too much. But you could always move the 4 SpDef EVs into Def, just for the sake of it.

I have a suggestion about Ferrothorn: swap Leftovers with Chople Berry. Ferro gets knocked off super fast anyway so I've found leftovers do not stick long enough to provide meaningful healing most of the time. But the berry allows you some nifty tricks. Y

• You can better check Rillaboom now, even if it goes to +2 Atk while you switch in.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 217-256 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

After this, a Body Press back in the face hurts a lot.

244+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 157-185 (46 - 54.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

If that's a Leftovers variant, then you set up Iron Defense while eating the first Superpower. If it stays in, it cannot KO you with two Superpowers in a row, while you KO back with +2 Iron Defense.

• Chople Berry also allows you to switch in on Melmetal at least once regardless of what move it picks, which is useful since Rotom takes a ton of damage from banded Superpower.

• You can better check Blaziken since it will click Close Combat to prevent Flare Blitz recoil.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 289-341 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You then deal a ton of damage back with Body Press + Iron barbs.

• You crap all over Magnezone. They usually go for Iron Defense twice. If you go for Leech Seed first and then rush for three Iron Defense, you end up winning the match-up, plus you might have gotten a layer of Spikes in as a bonus.
  • You better check Scarf Kartana, and gain a lot of momentum since you either deal a ton of damage with Body press or switch to Dragapult.

3d

継続は力なり
World Defender
Really nice team. Well done for bringing back Tyranitar to where it belongs.

About the spread for Dragapult, I've been thinking about the same issue Son of Veez had, and I agree it cuts down on power too much. But you could always move the 4 SpDef EVs into Def, just for the sake of it.

I have a suggestion about Ferrothorn: swap Leftovers with Chople Berry. Ferro gets knocked off super fast anyway so I've found leftovers do not stick long enough to provide meaningful healing most of the time. But the berry allows you some nifty tricks. Y

• You can better check Rillaboom now, even if it goes to +2 Atk while you switch in.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 217-256 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

After this, a Body Press back in the face hurts a lot.

244+ Def Ferrothorn Body Press vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 157-185 (46 - 54.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

If that's a Leftovers variant, then you set up Iron Defense while eating the first Superpower. If it stays in, it cannot KO you with two Superpowers in a row, while you KO back with +2 Iron Defense.

• Chople Berry also allows you to switch in on Melmetal at least once regardless of what move it picks, which is useful since Rotom takes a ton of damage from banded Superpower.

• You can better check Blaziken since it will click Close Combat to prevent Flare Blitz recoil.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Blaziken Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Chople Berry Ferrothorn: 289-341 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You then deal a ton of damage back with Body Press + Iron barbs.

• You crap all over Magnezone. They usually go for Iron Defense twice. If you go for Leech Seed first and then rush for three Iron Defense, you end up winning the match-up, plus you might have gotten a layer of Spikes in as a bonus.
  • You better check Scarf Kartana, and gain a lot of momentum since you either deal a ton of damage with Body press or switch to Dragapult.
I beat magnezone anyway. I just iron defence up beside it and it never wins unless it crits which chople doesn’t save me for anyway.

A lot of things things that chople solves 1 time are cool but since I don’t have the potential to instantly kill them back, it doesn’t seem very smart as a lure. Giving up leftovers on my only real defensive steel type opens up holes to things that before werent really a problem. For example, scarf lele was very easily beat with ferrothorn + ttar + pult as ferro can always take at least one hit and get back up, if they moonblast they’re doing about 22%, then i gain 12% back but if I don’t have leftovers I don’t gain anything back unless I can get a leech seed. I also love bringing in ferrothorn to punish uturns which I cannot do as freely if it were chople berry over leftovers.

Even vs rillaboom, let’s say I do eat a +2 superpower now im at 40 and his rillaboom is at 60, now what? I’m in the exact same position except i chipped a rillaboom that doesn’t put it in range of anything relevant.

The same logic about ferrothorns leftovers getting knocked can also be applied to its berry getting knocked so not sure why you brought that up.

To summarize, I don’t think being able to hit rilla and blaziken once (and not even kill them) is worth losing leftovers on ferrothorn as it is incredibly important that it gets passive recovery throughout the game for the reasons listed above.

How come you beat Magnezone with just lefties? If it comes in during a turn where you used Spikes, or through a U-turn, then it outspeeds and beats you, doesn't it? Chople berry wins this match-up in all situations.
Fair point about the leftovers and Knock off.
For dealing with Rillaboom, they all seem to be Leftovers at the moment. You click Iron Defense while eating the Superpower, and the following Superpower does not kill, whereas your Body Press at +2 will. And if they switch out, something is eating a +2 Body Press, while you heal with Grassy Terrain.

However, I see your point. Given you don't have, say, a Weavile that needs things to be weakened down to its KO range with Ice Shard, it doesn't make a lot of progress for you to have these guys weakened instead of healthy.

3d

継続は力なり
World Defender
How come you beat Magnezone with just lefties? If it comes in during a turn where you used Spikes, or through a U-turn, then it outspeeds and beats you, doesn't it? Chople berry wins this match-up in all situations.
Fair point about the leftovers and Knock off.
For dealing with Rillaboom, they all seem to be Leftovers at the moment. You click Iron Defense while eating the Superpower, and the following Superpower does not kill, whereas your Body Press at +2 will. And if they switch out, something is eating a +2 Body Press, while you heal with Grassy Terrain.

However, I see your point. Given you don't have, say, a Weavile that needs things to be weakened down to its KO range with Ice Shard, it doesn't make a lot of progress for you to have these guys weakened instead of healthy.
If it comes in on uturn as i spike i just spam iron defence as it iron defences up too.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1669170290-pzxw24h3yeql00mxvztu3bzbv0wkfr6pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1669174789-nip3nqjky8n3vvdphqpkogrdbbw90swpw

the first replay keeps ferro healthy, the second replay gets u full hazards + ferro alive u can play it either way and be fine

Last edited:
Used the team.

Alot of fun and very effective but it has an awful CM Fini weakness. Obviously you can set up hazards early and kill it when it starts sweeping but if it comes in early the team has very few good options against it besides fishing for Drill Iron Head flinches.

3d

継続は力なり
World Defender
Used the team.

Alot of fun and very effective but it has an awful CM Fini weakness. Obviously you can set up hazards early and kill it when it starts sweeping but if it comes in early the team has very few good options against it besides fishing for Drill Iron Head flinches.
late replay but ttar shits on cm fini since it cant drain the hp back it takes from stone edge. worst case u have to sack something if it gets to setup but it cant really setup on anything for free besides ttar locked into crunch or something. rotom volt / ferro leech hard rotom volt switch into ferro are also all ways to get it in range of drills eq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)