TV & Films Recommendations

Nalorium

is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris the defending BW Circuit Champion
World Defender
Film: V for Vendetta (2005)
Genre: Action/Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: In a future British dystopian society, a shadowy freedom fighter, known only by the alias of "V", plots to overthrow the tyrannical government - with the help of a young woman

Film: Unpregnant (2020)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Letterboxd Synopsis: A 17-year old Missouri teen named Veronica discovers she has gotten pregnant, a development that threatens to end her dreams of matriculating at an Ivy League college, and the career that could follow.

A reviewer described this movie as "basically booksmart meets never rarely sometimes always...", and yeah.

Last edited:

(Available on HBO)
Season 6 premiered this week!
Show: Rick and Morty
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Space
IMDb Description: An animated series that follows the exploits of a super scientist and his not-so-bright grandson

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of September 11th to September 17th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Apocalypto (2006)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: As the Mayan kingdom faces its decline, a young man is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Nope
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Description: I just realized as I was searching for my pick this week that I'd never recommended my 2nd favourite theatre experience of the year (after Top Gun: Maverick), so here it is! I would like to say as little about the film as possible for those who have managed to avoid spoilers and ads so let me start by saying if you haven't seen it yet, DO SO! AND: If you've not seen already come across one, DO NOT WATCH TRAILERS for the movie!

As for the vaguest description I can come up with while still giving you some information, a ranch owner and his go-getting sister bear witness to something on their family property that they can't explain - something big. The quest to capture the phenomenon on film results in the realization that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

Jordan Peele has leveled up as a director/cinematographer with this film. The tension building is done very well, the acting is superb and the big twist is so simple and perfect that I didn't see it coming what for the overthinking and admiring the background details and camera framing throughout. One of the best experiences 2022 has had to offer so far, and it's been a stacked year for cinema!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Wasabi (2001)
Genre: Comedy, Action
IMDb Synopsis: In Japan for the funeral of his long-lost love, a tough French detective learns that he also has a teenage daughter and that her life is in danger from the Yakuza.

Pyro
Film:
Fall (2022)
Genre: Drama, Thriller
Description: The IMDb synopsis, "Best friends Becky and Hunter find themselves at the top of a 2,000-foot radio tower.", does the movie no justice. 90% of the film is set on a tiny platform 2,000ft in the air, with the two main characters unable to descend following an accident as they reach the summit. What follows is 90 minutes of non-stop peril, your heart is in your throat the entire time as the camera work and brilliant acting don't let you off the edge of your seat for even a second. Easily one of the best movies of the year.

Television

+DianaNicole
Show:
The Ranch
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Western
IMDb Synopsis: The son of a Colorado rancher returns home from a semi-pro football career to run the family business.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Detroit Lions
Genre: Documentary, Sports
IMDb Synopsis: Chronicles head coach Dan Campbell entering his second season leading the team and an intriguing mix of young emerging stars, veterans, free agent additions and highly regarded rookie hopefuls throughout training camp and the preseason.

I have to support my boys this season!

Film: Hocus Pocus (1993)
Genre: Comedy, Family, Fantasy
Letterboxd Synopsis: After 300 years of slumber, three sister witches are accidentally resurrected in Salem on Halloween night, and it is up to three kids and their newfound feline friend to put an end to the witches’ reign of terror once and for all.

Disney gave Bette Midler a solo in this movie and she absolutely slayed.

(Available on Netflix)
CAMILA I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, THE QUEEN OF THE CINE. THE TOP OF THE PERFORMANCE.
Film: Do Revenge (2022)
Genre: Drama, School
IMDB Synopsis: Drea and Eleanor agree to go after one another's bullies. (This is very short, so for a bigger explanation, this is a movie about revenge and make the other people pay for your own pain)

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of September 18th to September 24th

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Escape From Alcatraz
Genre: Action, Biography, Crime
Description: Decided to check out an old classic I'd never seen this past weekend and landed on this Clint Eastwood prison caper flick from 1979. Was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Some good dialogue and practical effects for a 70's film and released so long ago now that Danny Glover was cast as an unnamed inmate (see if you can spot him!).

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Walk (2015)
Genre: Adventure, Biography, Drama, History
IMDb Synopsis: In 1974, high-wire artist Philippe Petit recruits a team of people to help him realize his dream: to walk the immense void between the World Trade Center towers.

Television

+DianaNicole
Show:
The Legend of Vox Machina
Genre: Action, Adventure, Animation
IMDb Synopsis: In a desperate attempt to pay off a mounting bar tab, a band of misfits end up on a quest to save the realm of Exandria from dark, magical forces.

(Available on Netflix)
This literally came out this week.
Film: Drifting Home (2022)
Genre: Anime, Drama, Adventure
IMDB Description: Follows two childhood friends who drift into a mysterious sea with an entire housing complex.

Film: Enchanted (2007)
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Musical, Romance
Letterboxd Synopsis: The beautiful princess Giselle is banished by an evil queen from her magical, musical animated land and finds herself in the gritty reality of the streets of modern-day Manhattan.

"That's How You Know" has been on repeat.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of September 25th to October 1st

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Midnight Meat Train (2008)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A photographer's obsessive pursuit of dark subject matter leads him into the path of a serial killer who stalks late-night commuters, ultimately butchering them in the most gruesome ways.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Primal Fear
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery
Description: A young man is arrested in connection to the brutal murder of a local Archbishop and his case is taken on by a hot shot attorney believing him incapable of committing the act. Naturally, new details are unearthed over the course of the investigation and trial as our lawyer protagonist attempts to bring the truth into the light.

The film has an excellent cast (Richard Gere, Edward Norton, Laura Linney, Frances McDormand, Andre Braugher, among others). It's also paced quite nicely, and although the initial/central crime's details are quite gruesome, the overall tone of the film isn't quite as dark as many of the other 90's dramas/thrillers I've watched this year. This kept the mystery alive for me for longer, which was a nice treat. ALSO, this was Edward Norton's full-length film debut and he absolutely crushes it!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Secondhand Lions (2003)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Family
IMDb Synopsis: A coming-of-age story about a shy, young boy sent by his irresponsible mother to spend the summer with his wealthy, eccentric uncles in Texas.

+DianaNicole
Film:
The Jungle Book (2016)
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Family
IMDb Synopsis: After a threat from the tiger Shere Khan forces him to flee the jungle, a man-cub named Mowgli embarks on a journey of self discovery with the help of a panther Bagheera and a free-spirited bear Baloo.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Nothing But a Man (1964)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A black man and his school-teacher wife face discriminatory challenges in 1960s America.

(Available on HBO Max)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Show: We Bare Bears
Genre: Animation, Comedy, Slice of Life
IMDb Description: Three bear brothers do whatever they can to be a part of human society by doing what everyone around them does.

Show: Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
Genre: Adventure, Action, Animation, Cyberpunk,
IMDb Description: In a dystopia riddled with corruption and cybernetic implants, a talented but reckless street kid strives to become a mercenary outlaw — an edgerunner.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 2nd to October 8th

Movies

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Antz (1998)
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Family, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: A rather neurotic ant tries to break from his totalitarian society while trying to win the affection of the princess he loves.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Illusions (1984)
Genre: Drama, Short Film
IMDb Synopsis: An African American woman rises to prominence in a fictional movie studio in the 1940s by passing as a white woman, affording others some dignity in the business that frequently portrayed movies as an illusion of a purely "white world."

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Final Space
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
Description: A prisoner aboard a space station is reluctantly roped into the role of galactic defender through a series of unfortunate occurrences. Joining him are a group of misfits brought together by chance, all linked by the need to stop the evil Lord Commander.

This cartoon quickly became one of my favourite series with its humour, quirkiness, fast pace and lovable characters. Unfortunately, the recent misdeeds of Warner Bros. Discovery are going to render this amazing work of art by Olan Rogers nearly impossible to watch (legally :pip:) after dismissing it as expendable for "tax write-off" purposes. Thus, we are not going to receive the much-needed season 4 we were promised barring some miracle of finance and corporate politics, so catch it anywhere you can by all means!​

Film: Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022)
Genre: Black Comedy, Horror, Mystery
Letterboxd Synopsis: When a group of 20-somethings gets stuck at a remote mansion during a hurricane, a party game gone very, very wrong ends with a dead body on the ground and fake friends at every turn as they try to find the killer among them.

Last edited:

(Available on Netflix)
Film: Belle (2021)
Genre: Animation, Cyberpunk, Romance
IMDB synopsis: Suzu is a shy high school student living in a rural village. For years, she has only been a shadow of herself. But when she enters "U", a massive virtual world, she escapes into her online persona as Belle, a globally-beloved singer.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 9th to October 15th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Kid Detective (2020)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: A once-celebrated kid detective, now 32, continues to solve the same trivial mysteries between hangovers and bouts of self-pity. Until a naive client brings him his first 'adult' case, to find out who brutally murdered her boyfriend.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Edge of Tomorrow
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Description: A soldier in a futuristic world fighting aliens finds himself in a time loop that resets every time he dies. The story is simple enough but what you're really here for is the action, and on a subtler note, the cinematography/directing which greatly utilizes momentum to keep you engaged. At times it feels like a fast-paced video game and it's fun from start to finish.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Persepolis (2007)
Genre: Animation, Biography, Drama, History, War
IMDb Synopsis: A precocious and outspoken Iranian girl grows up during the Islamic Revolution.

Television

@ Buffy
Show:
House of the Dragon
Genre: Fantasy, Adaptation
Description: Show of the year. Set in the same world as the ever popular Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon is actually an even better show. The writing, set design, and action are its best traits, but the casting is fantastic as well and the direction is solid. Definitely a must-watch.

x.jpeg

Film: X (2022)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Letterboxd Synopsis: In 1979, a group of young filmmakers set out to make an adult film in rural Texas, but when their reclusive, elderly hosts catch them in the act, the cast find themselves fighting for their lives.

(Available on Netflix)
OMG THIS SHOW WAS SO ??? BUT STILL AMAZING
Show: Dahmer - Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
Description:
Story of the Milwaukee Monster told from the perspective of the victims and police incompetence that allowed the Wisconsin native to go on a multiyear killing spree.

1666056219308.png

Show: The Mole
Genre: Adventure, Game Show, Mystery, Reality Show
IMDb Synopsis: A high-stakes competition series and in this reimagined version, twelve players work together in challenges to add money to a pot that only one of them will win at the end. Among the players is one person who has secretly been designated "the Mole" and tasked with sabotaging the group's money-making efforts. Ultimately, one player will outlast their competition and expose the Mole to win the prize pot.

This post was made 4 days before its 2 last episodes were aired.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 16th to October 22nd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Jack (1996)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: Because of an unusual disorder that has aged him four times faster than a typical human being, a boy looks like a 40-year-old man as he starts fifth grade at public school after being homeschooled.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Creed
Genre: Acton, Drama, Sport
Description: With the Creed III trailer dropping this week, it's the perfect time to shine light once again on the original Creed - the 7th film in the Rocky franchise and the first of the soft reboot. This film has all the familiar elements of a Rocky movie but doesn't require you to have seen the previous 6 - it stands on its own just fine and carries the torch very well. Great new characters make their debut and Sly helps smooth the transition from focus on his character to that of Michael B. Jordan's.

@ Buffy
Film:
Prey (2022)
Genre: Science Fiction, Action
Description: A prequel to the famous Predator, this film is beautifully shot, and has fantastic sound engineering. The script leaves some to be desired, but the overall experience for the aforementioned things is definitely worth it... and let's be real, none of the Predator films really have a good script anyhow.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Lavender Hill Mob (1951)
Genre: Comedy, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A meek bank clerk who oversees the shipment of bullion joins with an eccentric neighbor to steal gold bars and smuggle them out of the country as miniature Eiffel Towers.

fear.jpeg

Film: Fear Street: 1978
Genre: Horror, Mystery
Letterboxd Synopsis: In 1978, two rival groups at Camp Nightwing must band together to solve a terrifying mystery when horrors from their towns’ history come alive.

(Available on Amazon Prime)
I almost cried with this movie, what a story ;-;​
Film: Weathering With You (2020)
Genre: Anime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A high-school boy who has run away to Tokyo befriends a girl who appears to be able to manipulate the weather.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of October 23rd to October 29th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Pump Up the Volume (1990)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Music
IMDb Synopsis: Mark runs a pirate radio station and causes an uproar when he speaks his mind and enthralls fellow teens.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
La Ciociara / Two Women (1960)
Genre: Drama, War
IMDb Synopsis: In the Italy of WWII, a widow and her lonely daughter seek for distance between them and the horrors of war.

+tomatopeeler
Film:
Losing Ground (1982)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Sara, a cold college professor, and her husband, an ecstatic painter, spend a summer away from the city, straining their rocky relationship.

+yackback
Film:
The Banshees of Inisherin
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Description: Martin McDonough is a good director. This one isn't bad. In Bruges is also good.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
ReBoot
Genre: Animated, Action, Adventure
Description: Today I shine a light on an old classic from the 90's and one of the very first fully CGI'd animated series! The show follows the Guardian Bob as he protects the system of Mainframe from the various threats that find their way in from the net and the web (the story takes place in a computer so get ready for lots of meta humour on that front).

The characters are fun and colourful and while it does occasionally get very serious, it's primarily an action/comedy. It also features my favourite voice actor of all time, Tony Jay (R.I.P.) as the recurring villain Megabyte (if you've seen anything else he's in you'll probably recognize his voice immediately).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)