TV & Films Recommendations

PenQuin

!dice 100
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Film: Juice(1992)
Genre: drama, crime, action
IMDb: Four inner-city teenagers get caught up in the pursuit of power and happiness, which they refer to as "the juice".

This is probably one of my all time favorite "hood" movies. Omar Epps did great and Tupac was Tupac. Always a good one to rewatch.

glee.jpeg

Show: Glee
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Musical
Synopsis: Will Schuester, a high school teacher unsatisfied with how his life is unfolding, decides to reinvent his school's glee club in an attempt to save himself. Schuester recruits any student that can sing, whether willing or unwilling, into the club but soon finds out his dream might be impossible as he has to handle one Sue Sylvester, a cheerleading coach whose sole purpose in life is to obliterate the glee club, and consequently, Schuester himself.

FILM: Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo Meets Courage The Cowardly Dog
GENRE: Cartoon, Mystery
SYNOPSIS: The Mystery Inc team find themselves in the middle of Nowhere, Kansas, which is the home of Courage and his owners Muriel and Eustace. After discovering a strange object, they must battle a giant cicada monster and her winged warriors.
Scooby Doo.jpg

Film: It's Such a Beautiful Day
Genre: Slice of Life
Synopsis: Brain Tumors are no fun

this is an animated film, made of three shorter connected films. a man struggles. and he struggles some more.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 5th to February 11th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: In 1935 New Jersey, a movie character walks off the screen and into the real world.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Intouchables
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Drama
Description: A quadriplegic takes a chance on a young, inexperienced man to be his new caretaker. Based on a true story and beautifully told, this film caught me by surprise literally just this morning before work. There is excellent chemistry between the two leads and there is perfectly placed comedy at points throughout the film that keep the story and interactions on screen lively so that you never lose attention (or at least I didn't). Great acting all around, even from the supporting cast who get very little time on screen, great music and very subtle choices in directing that occasionally subvert expectations for more minor plot points (another factor that retains viewer attention).

Highly recommend!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Analyze This (1999)
Genre: Comedy, Crime
IMDb Synopsis: A comedy about a psychiatrist whose number-one patient is an insecure mob boss.

+noct
Film:
Tár
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Set in the international world of Western classical music, the film centers on Lydia Tár, widely considered one of the greatest living composer-conductors and the very first female director of a major German orchestra.

+yackback
Film:
Descendant (2022)
Genre: Documentary
Google Synopsis: Descendants of the survivors from the Clotilda celebrate their heritage and take command of their legacy, as the discovery of the remains of the last-known slave ship to arrive in the United States offers them a tangible link to their ancestors.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Menu
Genre: Horror-Comedy, Satire
IMDb Synopsis: A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.

Television

@ Buffy
Show:
His Dark Materials
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Adaptation
Description: Absolutely stunning adaptation of Pullman's books, which I'd rather not describe beyond that it is fantasy, so as to not ruin anything about it. The casting is some of the best I've seen in any show or film--led vigorously by Ruth Wilson, who in her own right puts on one of the best performances of anyone ever. It's hard to say enough great things about this show, HBO has come up with just another incredible show.

see.jpeg

Film: See How They Run (2022)
Genre: Comedy, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: In the West End of 1950s London, plans for a movie version of a smash-hit play come to an abrupt halt after a pivotal member of the crew is murdered. When world-weary Inspector Stoppard and eager rookie Constable Stalker take on the case, the two find themselves thrown into a puzzling whodunnit, investigating the mysterious homicide at their own peril.

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 12th to February 18th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Answer Man (2009)
Genre: Comedy, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A reclusive author of spiritual books is pursued for advice by a single mother and a man fresh out of rehab.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Lucky Number Slevin
Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller
Description: A man mistaken for his friend Nick is unexpectedly pulled into the crossfire of two warring crime bosses and the sights of a special agent scoping out the conflict from afar. His friend's debts have piled up too high to be ignored and Slevin is forced to pick up some tricks of the crime trade along the way to settling them for both sides, with a little help from Nick's neighbour Lindsey (Lucy Liu <3).

The movie has a great cast, including some characters whose allegiances are kept unclear until the very end, and it's really just a fun watch all the way through.

@ Buffy
Film:
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Description: Probably my favorite film about love, this has so much heart in places you wouldn't normally expect from this cast (Julianna Guill, Emma Stone, Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon). Parts of the plot may be cheesy, but they're the nice gooey kind of cheesy, and everything in this film just works so seamlessly with the other parts.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
How to Steal a Million (1966)
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: The daughter of an art forger teams up with a burglar to steal one of her father's forgeries and protect his secret.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Apartment (1960)
Genre: Romantic Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A Manhattan insurance clerk tries to rise in his company by letting its executives use his apartment for trysts, but complications and a romance of his own ensue.

Last edited:
1676336967390.png

Show name: White Collar
Genre: Crime, Drama, Comedy
iMDb Synopsis: A white-collar criminal agrees to help the FBI catch other white-collar criminals using his expertise as an art and securities thief, counterfeiter, and conman.

Show Name: The Masked Singer
Genre: Game Show, Dancing, Singing
Synopsis: Celebrities of all kinds compete while wearing silly costumes and a celebrity panel of judges (led by Dr. Ken Jeong) and viewers at home try to guess who is inside each costume. A celebrity is voted off and unmasked at the end of each episode.
Masked Singer Banana.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 19th to February 25th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
Genre: Drama, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: During a rural summer picnic, a few students and a teacher from an Australian girls' school vanish without a trace. Their absence frustrates and haunts the people left behind.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (2002)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A group of Catholic school friends, after being caught drawing an obscene comic book, plan a heist that will outdo their previous prank and make them local legends.

+yackback
Film:
All That Breathes
Genre: Documentary
IMDb Synopsis: Amidst the darkening backdrop of Delhi's apocalyptic air and escalating violence, two brothers devote their lives to protect one casualty of the turbulent times: the bird known as the Black Kite.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
The Woman King
Genre: Action, Drama, History
IMDb Synopsis: A historical epic inspired by true events that took place in The Kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Physical: 100
Genre: Reality TV/Game Show
Description: Physical: 100 is a competition that pits 100 athletes of various disciplines against each other in a series of challenges that test their speed, strength, endurance and even mental prowess to some extent. Bodybuilders, wrestlers, soldiers, Olympians, CrossFitters, mixed martial artists and more will compete on their own and occasionally as part of a team for a big cash prize and, more importantly, the bragging rights!

The games are very well-designed and about as well-balanced as you can be in terms of not overly favouring one athletic discipline or body type. Netflix released the first 8 episodes about a month ago and the finale episode will drop tomorrow worldwide!

B7DDA20B-97D4-43AB-80AF-FFA18F0C69A6.jpeg

Film: The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Genre: Comedy, Horror, Musical
Synopsis: Newly engaged couple, Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, were on their way to see Dr. Scott when they got trapped in the middle of a thunderstorm with a flat tire. The pair seeks help in a nearby mansion, but are unexpectedly pulled into the maddening chaos within — its instigator being Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

a/n: the singing is a bit meh for me but the songs itself were good (see: sweet transvestite)!! everything else was amazing tho, even if i did not know what the hell was going on, but i loved it! a good watch with your family !! /s

1676946457987.png

Film: The Giver (2014)
Genre: Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
Synopsis: In a seemingly perfect community without war, pain, suffering, differences, or choices, a young boy is chosen to learn from an elderly man about the true pain and pleasure of the "real" world.

(This movie is based on the book of the same title by Lois Lowry)

Film: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Genre: Superhero, Sci-Fi, Action, Adventure
Synopsis: Superhero Ant-Man (real name: Scott Lang) is pulled into the Quantum Realm along with his daughter Cassie, and finds himself battling "big bad" Kang The Conquerer.
Cassie Lang.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of February 26th to March 4th

Movies

#Soft Flex
Film:
Appaloosa
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Description: Two friends (Cole and Hitch) are brought in by a small town to protect its citizens from a cruel rancher (Bragg) and his men who are believed to have killed the town marshal. Shortly after settling in as replacement marshal and deputy, the pair are distracted when a young woman makes her way to town for the first time and things are further complicated when the usually-stoic and dutiful Cole starts a relationship with the woman and purchases a house all while being mindful of Bragg's return to the scene.

Ed Harris (whom I am a huge fan of) wrote, directed and starred in this western which he shines in alongside Viggo Mortensen, Renée Zellweger and Jeremy Irons. It took me a long while to develop a taste for westerns but I love them now, and as someone who still remembers what it was like to think the genre was a stale mishmash of long, drawn out one-shot duels and panoramic shots of dusty mountainsides, I can say this is one of the easier westerns to digest as a casual fan. The film keeps a decent pace and is bolstered by a great cast in every scene, not to mention it only runs the length of an average film as opposed to the 3+ hour epics of old.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
In the Name of the Father (1993)
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: A man's coerced confession to an I.R.A. bombing he did not commit results in the imprisonment of his father as well. An English lawyer fights to free them.

+Zipzapadam
Film:
Hustle
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Sports
IMDb Synopsis: A basketball scout discovers a phenomenal street ball player while in Spain and sees the prospect as his opportunity to get back into the NBA.

Last edited:
1677622473731.png

Film: The Conjuring (2013)
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller
Synopsis: Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.

SHOW: Battlebots
GENRE: Combat Competition
SYNOPSIS: Teams build robots for combat inside a caged arena. Popular combatants include Huge (pictured below), Witch Doctor, Ripperoni, Endgame, Kraken, Sawblaze, Mammoth, Mad Catter, Captain Shredderator, Bronco, and Glitch, among others.
battlebot huge.jpg

5206C06D-8E25-4E79-8159-EBECB3408D14.jpeg

Show: Warrior Nun (unfortunately cancelled :()
Genre(s): Action, Drama, Supernatural
Synopsis: A bed-ridden quadriplegic gets resurrected when an angel's Halo is implanted into her. She soon finds out, however, that it belongs to a group of demon-hunting nuns working for the Vatican and she's torn between wanting to help their cause, or live out the life she never had.

SHOW: Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
GENRE: Superhero, Animation
SYNOPSIS: Parisian teenagers Marinette and Adrien are chosen to wield the Miraculous of the Ladybug and Miraculous of the Cat respectively. Together, they defend Paris from Hawk Moth, villain who uses corrupted butterflies called Akumas to turn citizens into supervillains by responding to their negative emotions.
Transformation MLB.jpg

1678146635917.png

Film: Ala Vaikunthapurramuloo
Genre: Action, Comedy, Drama
Synopsis: Fate plays a vital role in connecting the life of Bantu, a son who seeks validation from his cold-hearted father with the life of Raj, whose millionaire father wishes that he was more assertive.

(This is probably a Top 10 all time Tollywood movie for me, highly recommend watching it if you're interested. The original Telugu version is on Netflix!)

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 5th to March 11th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Cobbler (2014)
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
IMDb Synopsis: A cobbler, bored of his everyday life, stumbles upon a magical heirloom that allows him to become other people and see the world in a different way.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
Description: At long last, close to a year later, I've finally gotten around to watching the film that received the most word-of-mouth praise from 2022 (aside from maybe Top Gun: Maverick), and it was incredible! As an aside, it's funny that IMDb lists only the 3 aforementioned genres as the core of the film because the drama is the clear stand-out in my opinion. It is endlessly creative, heartwarming, pleasing to the eyes and as a fortunate byproduct for this review, I get to tell you "just go and see it" instead of telling you what it's about, because it's too hard to describe with a short summary while stuff capturing the full essence of the movie.

I fully expect big awards for this movie by the end of the award season, but my fingers are crossed the hardest for Michelle and Ke - it would be incredibly satisfying to see them properly credited after all the love and effort they've given this industry over their careers. Anyway, go see it! At the time of this review I was able to see it for "free" with a Prime subscription.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)
Genre: Neo-Noir, Mystery, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: An African-American man is hired to find a woman, and gets mixed up in a murderous political scandal.

Television

+DianaNicole
Show:
Scrubs
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: In the unreal world of Sacred Heart Hospital, intern John "J.D." Dorian learns the ways of medicine, friendship and life.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
The Last of Us
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Zombie
IMDb Synopsis: After a global pandemic destroys civilization, a hardened survivor takes charge of a 14-year-old girl who may be humanity's last hope.

1678496431606.png

Film: Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Mystery
Synopsis: An anxious Roger Rabbit prompts his studio to hire a reluctant detective, Eddie Valiant, to snoop on his wife. What seemed like a simple stakeout job turned dangerous when the owner of Toontown is found dead and Eddie is force to help the rabbit, who just became a prime suspect.

Last edited:

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 12th to March 18th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Zero Effect (1998)
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The world's greatest detective Daryl Zero aided by his associate Steve Arlo investigates a complex and mysterious case of blackmail and missing keys for shady tycoon Gregory Stark who is less than forthcoming about what is really happening!

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
Hot Shots! (1991)
Genre: Action, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: A parody of Top Gun (1986) in which a talented but unstable fighter pilot must overcome the ghosts of his father and save a mission sabotaged by greedy weapons manufacturers.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Barry
Genre: Action, Comedy, Crime
Description: After a long break from a streaming service with access to the show, I'm back on the Barry hype train just in time for the season 4 debut in a month or so and MAN did I miss this show. There's not another show I've seen that can give you such emotional whiplash as it pulls you from a deeply moving and dramatic exchange to some batsh*t crazy action sequence or moment in the blink of an eye. Slow build is not on the menu in this show, and that goes for the runtime as well - most episodes average a half hour which makes it easy to binge, and easier to become desperate for more.

If you like any of the aforementioned genres or are a fan of HBO content in general, this really is a must-watch.

+Zipzapadam
Show:
Succession
Genre: Business, Drama, Politics
IMDb Synopsis: The Roy family is known for controlling the biggest media and entertainment company in the world. However, their world changes when their father steps down from the company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)