SV OU Trilogy | Double Starter Cyclizar Screens

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar: :ss/Hatterene: :sv/roaring_moon: :sv/quaquaval: :sv/skeledirge:

Hey everyone, I'm a new player who enjoys playing ladder on Showdown with free time, and I also enjoy *trying* to team build. But I finally found something I've really enjoyed using, and think is actually quite good (or has the potential to be with changes) in the metagame, hence why I'm posting here. I'll take you through the teambuilding process, then each individual team members.

Teambuilding Process:

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar:

No reason to beat around the bush here, easily the most broken and most central core in the metagame. I wanted to build a team around it obviously and happened to be able to use 3 of my favourite designs from the new game!

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar: :ss/Hatterene:

In such a hazard crazy meta with Gholdengo running rampant (more on Gholdengo later) it's really important to have *some* form of hazard control, even if it's just a magic bouncer. Hatterene fits this team perfectly. It's able to spread status with Nuzzle, and behind a sub from Cyclizar, it's able to setup an insanely powerful stored power which can sometimes win games. Hatterene is also a much needed check for Ting-Lu who is an absolute menace in the meta (especially to HO)

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar: :ss/Hatterene: :sv/roaring_moon:

Now that we have our core of Grimmsnarl Cyclizar and Hatterene complete, it's time to introduce probably the main setup sweeper, Roaring Moon. I'm running a Booster Energy DDance set because this mon really only switches in from Shed Tail or occasionally on a psychic read. This is an insane tera abuser (running fairy tera blast), and can sometimes 6-0 teams. I'm running Jaw Lock over Crunch because a lot of times locking in certain mons (esp while behind sub) can allow you to setup huge and 6-0.

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar: :ss/Hatterene: :sv/roaring_moon: :sv/quaquaval:

For our second sweeper, this is a pretty nontraditional choice for a sweeper (especially in an HO team), but I personally think after the Palafin ban Quaquaval is the best offensive water type in the meta, and with the right team can setup huge with aqua step and moxie. It serves as a fantastic set-up sweeper because of Aqua Step and with the coverage of Aqua Step + Close Combat if it's setup, very little can check it. I'm running Tera Electric and Tera Blast as it's essential in some matchups and some of the resists are nice as well.

:ss/Grimmsnarl: :sv/Cyclizar: :ss/Hatterene: :sv/roaring_moon: :sv/quaquaval: :sv/skeledirge:

This rounds out our team, and yet again a broken starter is here to play! Skeledirge is extremely annoying, Torch Song hits behind sub which makes a matchup against another screen cyclizar team a lot easier. Furthermore, it spreads will-o-wisp which is essential. This is also a very tanky mon and serves as a secondary gholdengo check (along with the other things it checks) behind Roaring Moon, with a dark tera type.

Individual Members

:ss/grimmsnarl: :Light Clay:
Wicked Games (Grimmsnarl) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Parting Shot

This is a pretty standard set for Grimmsnarl. I decided to run a physically defensive set however to tank spirit breaks from opposing Grimmsnarls. I opted for this over the specially defensive parting shot set because Iron Valiant 2HK0s even with Light Screen up (if Specs'd) while Grimmsnarl would need 3 spirit breaks, but that means you can get both screens up, and parting shot out while being alive. It's up to you if you would rather opt for the specially defensive set, but either way it fills an important role.

:sv/Cyclizar: :Sitrus Berry:

King of the Fall (Cyclizar) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Taunt

Another pretty standard set. Jolly Cyclizar is the third fastest mon in the tier (without considering Scarf users) only behind Jolly Chien-Pao, Dragapult, and Jolly Meowscarada. Basically, after a parting shot this thing gets a free shed tail, or taunt depending on the matchup. Knock off is there to serve a niche role if an item really needs to be knocked, or against offensive ghost types. Cyclizar is an awful spinner, but it runs Rapid Spin as a last resort. Sitrus Berry is there for more reliable recovery than Regenerator for longevity to get 3+ shed tails throughout the game.

:ss/Hatterene: :Leftovers:

Stargirl (Hatterene) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss
- Nuzzle

As I said previously, this serves an important role as our primary hazard control. I ran a pretty standard set, the speed EVs may look out of place, but with those it allows Hatterene to outspeed neutral nature Amoongus, Slowbro, Slowking, Quagsire, Toxapex, Dondozo, and Garganacl. (Assuming no Speed EVs are allocated there). Nuzzle is important to spread status and especially helps Quaquaval setup with his pretty mid speed tier without aqua step setup. As I said, behind a sub as well this thing can be quite dangerously offensively with insanely boosted stored power. This was originally an Esparatha, but the importance of reliable hazard control other than Cyclizar was not cutting it.

:sv/Roaring_Moon:

High for This (Roaring Moon) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Tera Blast
- Earthquake
- Jaw Lock

As aforementioned, this serves as our primary setup sweeper, and one of two main tera abusers on this team. I decided to run a booster energy in order to comfortably switch in under a sub, and a lot of times you'll tera to fairy as a defensive option to get in two dragon dances, and then reveal tera blast. I chose to run Jaw Lock over Crunch, but it is personal preference, but I think it's much better to run Jaw Lock under a sub, although I understand wanting the safety of running Crunch.

:sv/Quaquaval: :Heavy-Duty Boots:
Valerie (Quaquaval) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Tera Blast

Quaquaval is a very good mon, and now that the meta has started to settle with the Palafin ban, this is your primary offensive water type. This thing is extremely good behind a sub and as a revenge killer. Aqua Step is a super strong move and with Moxie you don't even need Sword Dance, and it's only there for certain situations. After one Aqua Step and one kill you're already outspeeding most of the tier and killing most of the tier. This is also the second tera abuser with an electric tera type running Tera Blast. It's essential in certain matchups, though shouldn't be your primary Tera in most matchups, but against Dondozo, Azumarill it's extremely important as nothing else on this team does a great job of checking those. It also runs Boots because this team has some very unreliable hazard control.

:sv/Skeledirge: :Heavy-Duty Boots:

XO (Skeledirge) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Slack Off
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

The final member on the team is a tanky guy who can also setup with Torch Song. This thing can feel impossible to kill at times and is an important Will-O-Wisp user to sort of neutralize some of this teams threats. It again, serves as a backup Gholdengo check, and can serve an important role as a wall breaker. This thing, as it needs to be is also very scary behind a sub. Spreading status and increasing Sp Atk with Torch Song. Also, this thing does very well against other Cyclizar Screen teams, as Torch Song is a sound move, which is absolutely huge for this team.

Paste & Replays:

Paste: https://pokepast.es/eaf8bd88c37f790d

Replays: SoonTM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)