SS Doubles OU Trick Room - Reached Top 500

Trick Room Or Tailwind?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hello!

Welcome to my RMT post where i show you the best team i have probably ever made - My Trick Room Team.
The reason i call this team the best team i have ever built , is because its the only team that has gotten me to top 500.

Without Further Ado , lets move on to the team!

download.jpg

Torkoal @ Charcoal
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Torkoal is one of the best mons on this team , being able to hit very hard with eruption or heat wave depending on the HP.
Earth Power is there to make sure heatran doesn't get in the way with its Flash Fire ability since that would give me loads of problems
Protect helps in knowing what move the opposing pokemon is going to try to use against me.
Its Ability Drought Helps Weaken Water-Type moves and boost the power of its Fire-Type moves.
Its EV spread helps to deal more damage and be more bulky.

download.jpg

Hatterene @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Expanding Force
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Protect

Hatterene is an Amazing pokemon both Defensively and Offensively , its also one of the best Trick Room Setters out there.
Expanding Force can be quite devastating when paired with Psychic Terrain from Indeedee-F. Dazzling Gleam can hit Dragons and Darks pretty hard.
Trick Room is Hatterene's Main Move in this set , Paired with Follow Me from Indeedee-F.
Protect For the same reason as Torkoal.
Its EV spread helps in doing damage and taking hits , just like Torkoal.

download.jpg

Diancie @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Play Rough
- Trick Room
- Protect

Diancie is a very popular pokemon . Why wouldn't i use it?
Diancie does really well on Trick Room teams thanks it having low speed. It's defenses are also nothing to scoff at.
Diamond Storm is its signature move that has a 50% chance to raise its defense by 2 stages. Play Rough For Coverage
and Trick Room just in case it ends and i need to set it up again.
Its EV Spread is to do damage and be bulky enough to take hits.

download.jpg

Indeedee-F @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Expanding Force
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Indeedee-F is one of the best pokemon on this team thanks to Follow Me which makes the foes moves target it and helping hand which boosts the power of one of my pokemon's attack by 1.5x.
Expanding Force is a great move when paired with psychic Terrain which is why i always mistly lead with Indedee-F and Hatterene.
Terrain Extender is one of the only items worth talking about beacuse its not very common from my experience . It's an amazing item that can keep the psychic Terrain
lasting for 8 turns instead of 5 , meaning that expanding force will be broken for 8 turns.
Its EV Spread helps to hit hard and be bulky.

download.jpg

Stakataka @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room
- Protect

Stakataka is a Very defensive pokemon while also being offensive and is very good on Trick Room Teams.
Gyro Ball is destructive thanks to Stakakata's very low speed. Stone Edge is a pretty powerful move but can miss , i have been thinking about switching it for rock slide.
Trick Room just in case it ends. I used to have a Shuca Berry instead of a Focus Sash but after realizing that Fighting Also Can Destroy It , I decided to go for Focus Sash which helps me set up Trick Room. Its EV spread help it in being Defensive.

download.jpg

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 88 Def / 188 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Pollen Puff
- Rage Powder
- Spore

Amoonguss Is a dangerous pokemon when paired with Trick Room and even without it , it still is a very good doubles pokemon.
Sleep has always been annoying to deal with and amoonguss does the job of putting pokemon to sleep very well.
Rage Powder helps in tanking hits for his teammates , Rage Powder has saved many times.
Pollen Puff is great for healing allies and Sludge Bomb to hit opposing Fairy and Grass types.
Its EV Spread is perfect for it cause it allows him to be bulky.

I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT.
I Will now show 2 replayes of the team winning in a Tour of the Smogon Doubles room.

Here you go!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1647420239
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1646291942

Goodbye!

Last edited:
Why no HP on stakataka? And the 15 def Iv? That's all I see as unusual. You might want grass coverage on Amoonguss too, 4x grass weak mons are hard

Sorry, I was incorrect, I didn't read the set properly. I think Offensive TR Stakataka is better because it has quite a bad typing so it would check much
Tbh , I agree with Offensive TR Stakataka being better cause even with all the evs in both sp.def and ded it still gets OHKO'd by alot of pokemon.
One of them would be Urshifu-R using Close Combat with Life Orb For Example. It also has 2 x4 weaknesses that are pretty common In DOU.

With all of that out of the way,
Thanks For Replying!

Why no HP on stakataka? And the 15 def Iv? That's all I see as unusual. You might want grass coverage on Amoonguss too, 4x grass weak mons are hard
The Reason I didn't put HP in Stakataka is because I wanted it to have balanced defenses.
You are right by saying i should put 31 EVS in my defenses , don't know why it already wasn't.
Tbh , I don't know what move i could change to put a grass move on Amoonguss since all of its moves help out in some way or another.

Thanks For Replying!

Stakataka has 61|211|101 bulk. That's VERY low HP for those good defenses, I'd suggest calcing w/ HP and w/o for various 2hkos that can be made 3hkos, and ohkos that can be avoided after sr/spikes if relevant.

Mons typically like HP for their bulk, more than just one defensive stat, or both at the expense of HP. Exceptions are limited to mons like Chansey, Blissey, Guzzlord, and Drifblim, which have huge HP stats and lower defenses. They don't need much, if any, HP EVs. But something like Shuckle(low HP) NEEDS 252 HP on any set(well, any bulky set, which for Shuckle is all it has.)

Even then there are sometimes weird exceptions, like I was using max atk/spe Mega Mence last gen or w/e, and 4 Def EVs did more for phys. def vs. something than 4 HP even though its HP base stat is lower. But that is why you can calc if you're unsure, generally 252 HP on a slow mon is good. But Stakataka might like some SpD, who knows w/o calcing 1st.

There is also the case of Body Press w/ sash. You can have 252 Def and no HP, if you're sash then it doesn't matter much, and you want the def for damaging w/ BP. Stakataka is a good user of that so I'd look into it.

EDIT: It has steel so I was wondering if you can drop Sludge Bomb on Amoonguss, since you hit grass and fairy types. But if you can't no grass might be ok. Or, since it's slow and you won't always have tr up, you can drop eruption on Torkoal for Solarbeam. It all depends on how you feel your match-up is on water/ground types. I just give more general advice on sets cause I only know one meta mostly, so idk how common these threats are in OU. They may not be enough of a problem to warrant specific coverage.

Stakataka has 61|211|101 bulk. That's VERY low HP for those good defenses, I'd suggest calcing w/ HP and w/o for various 2hkos that can be made 3hkos, and ohkos that can be avoided after sr/spikes if relevant.

Mons typically like HP for their bulk, more than just one defensive stat, or both at the expense of HP. Exceptions are limited to mons like Chansey, Blissey, Guzzlord, and Drifblim, which have huge HP stats and lower defenses. They don't need much, if any, HP EVs. But something like Shuckle(low HP) NEEDS 252 HP on any set(well, any bulky set, which for Shuckle is all it has.)

Even then there are sometimes weird exceptions, like I was using max atk/spe Mega Mence last gen or w/e, and 4 Def EVs did more for phys. def vs. something than 4 HP even though its HP base stat is lower. But that is why you can calc if you're unsure, generally 252 HP on a slow mon is good. But Stakataka might like some SpD, who knows w/o calcing 1st.

There is also the case of Body Press w/ sash. You can have 252 Def and no HP, if you're sash then it doesn't matter much, and you want the def for damaging w/ BP. Stakataka is a good user of that so I'd look into it.

EDIT: It has steel so I was wondering if you can drop Sludge Bomb on Amoonguss, since you hit grass and fairy types. But if you can't no grass might be ok. Or, since it's slow and you won't always have tr up, you can drop eruption on Torkoal for Solarbeam. It all depends on how you feel your match-up is on water/ground types. I just give more general advice on sets cause I only know one meta mostly, so idk how common these threats are in OU. They may not be enough of a problem to warrant specific coverage.
Hey, I agree that HP is worth putting EVs into when you don't have that much HP. I could try doing calculations but I decided to give Stakataka 252 in ATK and HP.

Body Press is a good move on heavy pokemon but I feel that Gyro Ball and Stone Edge are already pretty good and both have STAB.

For Torkoal I could drop Protect For Solar beam but I feel that isn't really the best option + most water-types wouldn't even OHKO cause of drought. I definitely need to keep earth power for Heatran.

Thanks For Replying!

That's heavy spam, look up body press. It does DMG based on def not Atk. It has nothing to do w/ weight, however weight,-wise there is heat crash

you're welcome, I'm glad I seem to know enough to help ou

EDIT: Hatterene isn't considered that good in doubles OU, I guess even w/ Magic Bounce it's low in VR. So now I'm thinking you could swap Indeedee for Tapu Lele and Hatterene for something. Tapu Lele can use Skill Swap, and thus can forego Terrain Extender. It's moderately 'better' than Indeedee going off same thread. I just liked the idea of Psychic Terrain and Skill Swap.

Last edited:
That's heavy spam, look up body press. It does DMG based on def not Atk. It has nothing to do w/ weight, however weight,-wise there is heat crash

you're welcome, I'm glad I seem to know enough to help ou

EDIT: Hatterene isn't considered that good in doubles OU, I guess even w/ Magic Bounce it's low in VR. So now I'm thinking you could swap Indeedee for Tapu Lele and Hatterene for something. Tapu Lele can use Skill Swap, and thus can forego Terrain Extender. It's moderately 'better' than Indeedee going off same thread. I just liked the idea of Psychic Terrain and Skill Swap.
oops , forgot body press does damage based on def and not weight.
Tbh, the reason i chose Indeedee-F is because it has follow me and helping hand which make setting up Trick Room easy and helps boost my damage.
While Tapu Lele fits Trick Room Well , Indeedee was always meant to be a support pokemon on my team + Hatterene has the lowest speed so its bound to attack first with better damage than tapu Lele with Expanding Force.

Thanks For being a big help!

That sounds fine then. How are you doing with ground attacks?

Also, while Protect is a good move in doubles(heck, often enough in singles w/ ferro but nvm,) some teams lack it and idk that I've ever seen it on 5 mons. It's possible you're overdoing it on protect, I'll let others decide. But Diancie could then drop it for Body Press and go Relaxed maybe. Consider taking 8 atk Evs into Def on Diancie. This gives 172, an even number is better for the +2 Def boost you are likely to get. Idk, seems worthwhile unless you calc and 1 point in atk matters more. What exactly do the EVs on Amoonguss do? Does it need Sitrus for calcs(as in no Black Sludge?)

Last edited:
That sounds fine then. How are you doing with ground attacks?

Also, while Protect is a good move in doubles(heck, often enough in singles w/ ferro but nvm,) some teams lack it and idk that I've ever seen it on 5 mons. It's possible you're overdoing it on protect, I'll let others decide. But Diancie could then drop it for Body Press and go Relaxed maybe. Consider taking 8 atk Evs into Def on Diancie. This gives 172, an even number is better for the +2 Def boost you are likely to get. Idk, seems worthwhile unless you calc and 1 point in atk matters more. What exactly do the EVs on Amoonguss do? Does it need Sitrus for calcs(as in no Black Sludge?)
even with me having 3 mons weak to ground , most of the time , they never really do that much harm.
Im thinking this happens because of how much damage i do at once on trick room considering that most pokemon get OHKO'd or badly hurt by a full HP, charcoal and sun Eruption from Torkoal. Tbh , i think that getting rid of protect for solarbeam might be a good choice.

I could try to take 8 atk evs into def on Diancie since it gives an even number but i prefer keeping diamond storm and play rough as my moves.
The EV's On Amoonguss help it be bulky, they seem pretty good , mostly the 252 in HP. Sitrus restores more hp and while it doesn't heal after every turn, i still prefer it over black sludge since sitrus has saved me in battles , like you see in one of the Replays i show.

Thanks Again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)