towards gen8 [team showcase]

approved by nayrz

it is crazy to think that three years have gone by and it feels like sm was just released and SPL right behind the corner...not this with the upcoming release of sword and shield. this wasn't meant to be a jab towards ubers being axed from the upcoming SPL but rather also go through some major events that had an impact one way or another while showcasing some of my better and most accomplished teams during the whole iteration of generation 7.

i have written about my upl v (and spl xiii) teams here so i will move onto the very first team tournament where i ended up starting which was smogon snake draft I. overall the experience was fine and the people were awesome despite i was on team with a ghosting scandal...mistakes happen and one of my most noteable one was playing all three of my games on a deadline day during phase one and it is pretty obvious how that ended up.

/

these are bulky offenses i made and used against thimo in this game of SSD and against welli0u in this game of grand slam vi playoffs round 1. at the time celesteela was one of the better steel types to check xerneas among roar pdon. the arceus could be anything really and if i recall correctly, i had ghostceus to be great against stall or gothitelle teams that were rising and ended up dominating pre-USM ubers. ghostceus sucks though despite having plenty of marshadow answers so i changed it to groundceus and used that version in grand slam. it still is not amazing but it is better against ghosts since my version of scarf yveltal can't be checking the entire meta. lacus clyne used the same six mons in their SSD game and so did evuelf against lacus clyne in this game.

after smogon snake draft i did in fact quit the tier and took a distance from the community for half a year. pre-USM Ubers was for a longer time either a stall fest or a gothitelle pp stall fest. i am not saying either of these styles are bad, i just found them and therefore the tier extremely boring. alongside plenty of cheating cases and the animosity in the ubers community, it wasn't a hard decision to enjoy something else.

in all honesty i wasn't expecting to come back to playing ubers at some level. i was done with the tier and what was going around it but i made a promise to my man Enzo Gorlami. i would ONLY return if he wants to play in UPL (which he had never done despite being a spl starter...) with me managing the durians. i hesitated and i wasn't that keen managing a team but i am a man of a word so i took durians over for upl vi and promised to get gunner at all cost despite him nagging to me to not pay too much. i was willing to go for 35-40k and even more but god bless he was only around 20k.

upl vi was the tournament that opened my eyes and i told myself that this tier is worth trying and is not bad at all. with wcop 2018 ending for team europe earlier than last year and grand slam vii around the corner, the upcoming ubers open was the perfect tournament to get back into the tier again.

this is my favourite team i made already earlier but i used it a lot in open and upcoming tournaments. i wanted to use ekiller but it had a bunch of weaknesses such as marshadow and not being able to break zygarde. so i paired it with dragonium dd zygarde to beat all the ekiller answers and go for a late game ekiller sweep. i have recover on my latest paste but i switched up the set various times to jolly eqake etc. xerneas and yveltal are my checks to marshadow to support ekiller. defensive yveltal also acts my check to opposing dusk mane and ho-oh since my zygarde is offensive, not defensive. pdon and dusk cover xerneas more than well.

:arceus::necrozma-dusk-mane::yveltal::magearna::groudon-primal::giratina:

this and the next two teams i made with Mana before he took his yearly break. the main idea behind this team was to utilize offensive arceus-ground as well as possible. groundceus with cm struggles against ho-oh and to ferro extent so brick break and stone is a coverage you don't see coming but with works really well with groundceus. magearna is there for xerneas (and yveltal) while giratina is there for kyogre etc. yveltal spread makes you take on ekiller.

i used it publicly for the first time in this open game in top-16 vs carmin and it was after remade by various users and one of the discussions i had regarding the team you can read here. this is still the original version of the team and i didn't make any changes to it. i kept getting really good results with it but using something way too much ends up badly and the last tournaments i lost with it...still one of my all time favourites.

for some reason i used this toxic spikes + gothitelle into zygarde sweep team just once. it was against the trap god in ubers open quarterfinals in this game. gothitelle and zygarde is an extremely potential core due to gothitelle trapping all the physical walls that threaten zygarde. dusk and toxapex meanwhile cover the secondary weakness which is of course xerneas. darkceus is the hazard control and dark resist and ho-oh adds speed control while being my secondary check to plethora things. toxic spikes are amazing against non-gengar (or mega-sableye) teams so it wasn't a big surprise that it did massive work in the open game.

prior to this team i hadn't used mewtwo in ages. mewtwo and yveltal make a great offensive core since they bait out things either of them are weak to. you u-turn on the upcoming xerneas and attack with mewtwo. with mewtwo future sight is cool because yveltal forces with banded threats like dusk-mane out and bait in for example xerneas and punish them for switching. the original version had sky attack yveltal but i told mana it's unuseable and put toxic to check physical defensive arceus.

/

these two teams i made for my ubers open series against the trap god. games were one and three. at the time ttg was considered the best player in the tier so i had bunch of work to do. this was also during the time where everything was done to obtain a win and the level of paranoia was out of this world. the paranoia reached to the point that even i couldn't ask for any help from my friends and i didn't even finalize my teams until 5-10 minutes before the set just in case my teams were gotten somehow. it was absolutely insane and dumb but it was that time in ubers where risking even talking to someone lead to unloseable match up.

my first team tried to make work of fairium lunala to beat down yveltal (and darkceus) so my dusk-mane could win. dusk-mane meanwhile has kasib berry to beat lunala's two biggest threats also known as marshadow and mega-gengar. groundceus is there as an alternative win condition which nearly it did but ttg played nicely and won with his before i could win with mine. salamence is there to check ho-oh if he brought it while OHKOing defensive zygarde with draco meteor and opening a door for groundceus and dusk-mane.

my game three team originally had ekiller over groundceus but before the game i changed it to groundceus. i kept espeed just in case i would need it against ekiller to beat ti down with eqake + espeed. the game itself was a trade after trade but it got to a point where my groudon was against his ekiller, dusk-mane and primal kyogre. you can check joey's reactions to the game here but i remember having this piped up feeling that i rarely had before and have had after the set. it was unreal.

i ended up getting eliminated by garay oak in semi's but i still had few more ubers games coming up in playoffs. my most noteable one was my semi's game against pearl. the team i used was a basic 2018 bulky offense team but i went with rock arceus-water instead of dusk-mane or primal groudon. that meant i could use them as my offensive breakers for a potential late game sweep by scarf xerneas.

before the game i made one change since i was more scared of facing a ho-oh than webs. in hindsight that was a dumb change but too late to change that. before i move on, i want to go on quickly regarding this game because i think i played pretty well but i made a cruical mistake on turn 16. obviously my dusk-mane getting critical hit against -1 groundceus sucked a lot but that was my cruical mistake. i let the hax get into my head and affect my end game. it is understable that people get upset and tilted over hax, especially as high as a trophy tournament semi-final. had i kept my composure and took my time and then click pursuit against pearl's groundceus, all i had to do was click rock polish and hit precipice blades. now i just went for the attack and i still had to rock polish and use precipice blades twice but my precipice blades against his groundceus wouldn't even kill with a critical hit. i didn't give myself to odds in the end by losing my focus and that is something i have been working on: don't let hax get to you any way possible at any given point.

after ubers open and grand slam playoffs i started playing ubers more and more and i set up as my goal to win a major ubers tournament. that was my goal ever since i started playing in 2015. fall seasonal in 2018 was the tournament i ended up winning and therefore i achieved my goal of winning a major ubers tournament. it felt like a reward for playing ubers for a long time and coming close so many times but finally cracking it.

i went on winning ubers seasonal back to back with my winter seasonal win and i topped it with a third consecutive ubers premier league win. i wasn't as active this year but the experience was amazing and it probably in all honesty was the most fun i had in UPL. it wasn't as serious when i was the sole manager since i tend to take managing super seriously but also not creating the base as gunner and i were doing in upl v. the chat is always active and i couldn't care less if we didn't win a single game in the upcoming ubers premier leagues. i just want to be there with my buddies. shout-out to the family.

ubers majors ended up being the last tournament before the release of sword and shield. during 2019 summer i was losing interest in lower tiers in general and i realised it early on in my grand slam run. it wasn't as fun as last two years apart from building in PU which i had to do since ubers was axed. i should have done it in RU as well to maintain interest but to secure some interest before generation 8 i had to make another team building session with myself. i did that in ubers majors playoffs which i barely made thanks to a guy losing to activity. shout-out to you since you were the base of me winning this tournament.

/

i like ferro balance a lot so i made a couple of these that i ended up using in majors. i like the dark version more since i have better speed control with scarf xerneas and ultra necrozma. outrage ultra beats opposing zygarde and giratina so dual dance pdon has a field day. it won in my first game against royal in round two. i used the other version next round against my favourite builder of this generation. i hope Cynara you showcase your teams after LTPL. in this game i wanted a sturdier geomancy xerneas answer and tanking a hit from gengar since i swampped my arceus type. toxic ferro came in clutch beating the ekiller and i ended up winning the set. shout-out Garay oak for his scizor squad i ended up using game 1, i hope you will showcase sometime after ltpl as well.

i didn't use sableye that much during usm but i wanted to try it out again in playoffs. i made this sableye team with offensive cm kyogre and rock move pdon to try and catch ho-oh so my cm groundceus could win late game. yveltal provides speed control and is a blanket check to dusk, ultra etc. while magearna acts as the cleric and the dark resist. nothing too fancy and it pulled a win against royal in round two in this game.

here i started to lose my mind when i started using some unholy stuff. cm waterceus? i tried to make it work by pairing it with everything that could take out its threats. hp fire timid xerneas for sand and ferrothorn, sd dragon claw pdon for giratina, gengar for ultra-necrozma and dusk-mane with will-o-wisp and dusk-mane with z-move to ohko yveltal so i can't be statused. i have no clue how i managed to win this game against thiago nunes but once the stupid stuff starts winning i might as well continue the trend.

this kind of bulky offense is probably the best in the tier and you can honestly use whatever sets on each of these mons. this is the version i used against thiago nunes in game two. since i was life orb ekiller and not chople berry, i wanted a xerneas that could heal up and stay for a longer period time while checking yveltal. i could have used aromatherapy over geomancy + power herb but i wanted it as my win condition which in this game it ended up doing. spedef kyogre for opposing kyogre and the big threat call calm mind arceus-ground. onto the finals!

/

the first team is what i used in game two in finals against goat heart. i really was paranoid that i would face some roserade tspikes stuff and i did face tspikes twice but with toxapex. i had this gengar set specifically against alola-muk which goat heart used against me earlier and beat me. i wasn't going to lose to a muk again while not trapping anything. in the game it managed to beat yveltal and absorb tspikes lead game. this yveltal is so bad and the other version with rockium is way better luring in ho-oh and blissey. yveltal is specifically ev'd to ohko ho-oh from full without revealing any information since ho-oh is your yveltal check.

i made this ekiller while back but i had it ready for the first time against thiago nunes and i got to somewhat showcase it in this game. i really hoped to face a zygarde since it ohkoed it from full even if zygarde has some spedef investment to guarantee living from supportceus' ice beam. the idea behind specs ogre was to be good against stall since in all honesty, kyogre in general is quite bad and usually gets 0-1 kills and dies. luckily for me, it ended up cleaning in this game.

/ /

because i was worried against hazard stack offense or hazard stack balance or stall featuring ferrothorn, i knew i wanted to use sableye. this sableye is meant two live two judgments from 132 special attack rocks arceus while having over 95% chance of living to life orb marshadows spectral thiefs. toxic is to cripple rocks arceus as well as spreading status. i had knock off to get rid of blissey's item so my block kyogre could 6-0 from the spot but i totally forgot blissey runs confide! silly me.

the third team lacks speed control so i didn't want to use it despite having this unholy ho-oh which i really wanted to use...instead i used three attacks + toxic but in all honesty, it should be banded on that team i feel. i had double rocks to always win the hazard war against stall but another alternative is to use toxic, defog or calm mind. i ended up being sloppy in game one and lost the game which i should have won. same went with goat heart in game two.

the version in game three i needed a steel type on this version to be fool-proof against geomancy xerneas so my pick was an orthodox one with arceus-steel. i had to play very carefully with it to not let it get statused (mainly willoed) and i could sweep with it late game as long as i weaken everything and play smart. and of course hit stone edge which i did. zygarde and kyogre are there to check physical attacks while sableye keeps rocks off so ho-oh could have a field day and check yveltal.

this pretty much sums it up. there were a few teams i have but i never got to use them and i doubt i will be using them. i know there is still ubers circuit playoffs coming really soon but i got what i really wanted: end usm ubers with good terms and being able to make this showcase! i have never been (and honestly i still am) a great builder and i like playing way more than building. however, i wanted to showcase some of my favourite teams and ideas i had in the last three years with more or less success. the pohjis can be a building machine when he gets the inspiration...

it has been a crazy three years with bunch of lows and highs. i didn't expect after 2017 to be here chilling in the tier but here i am. you can consider it a low that the TD team removed ubers from SPL, snake, grand slam etc. but it was absolutely the correct decision for the tournaments community and for ubers itself. i know Nayrz you have been getting and taking a lot of shit the last 2 years but you have done an amazing job keeping the tier alive and together. whether the td team will give it another shot in the future shouldn't be too important. ubers will sneak back in when the time is right and perhaps sword and shield will be it.

as an ORAS kid i can say that i had fun playing this generation in general but it is time to move on. gen8 is coming up tomorrow and i doubt i wouldn't keep playing but it is time for some new talent to take the spotlights. i'll keep lurking in the shadows watching the tier progress towards a better future.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)