YouTube Top 10 Smogon BSS DRAMAS (#4 will SHOCK you)

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
made you click lol

At first I thought about just saying this on discord and be finished with it, but it seems like literally all ex-community leaders made these posts on forums so I guess I'll do the same. I'm stepping down!

It's been a good ride all things considered. It was definitely a bumpy road but I got to meet a lot of good people both within this community and Smogon as a whole. I'm stepping down because I neither have the time nor motivation to really keep up with the bumpy road anymore, but I'll still be around on discord to chat with Smogon friends (DragonWhale#7346).

Ever since the beginning, my ultimate goal has been to bridge the gap between the two biggest competitive singles communities out there: Smogon and the Japanese BSS community. It might have been an impossible goal from the start, given that neither side really knows the other's existence and the minority that do don't think there are good singles players on the other side. What I was hoping to see from this goal was a world where Japanese players and Smogon players were competing together in each others' formats, heightening the competitive levels further than when they are separated as they are now. This is noticeable in VGC, where western players and Japanese players have been inspiring each other constantly. It's almost poetic that the world champion title has been bouncing back and forth between Japan and other countries every year.

The most obvious difference here is that VGC is united under the official support of TPCi with cash prizing and global tournaments, whereas what I can do to unite singles players from the two communities is nowhere near as impactful. There were only two possible paths to take: either promote Smogon tournaments to Japanese players or promote BSS on Smogon to the point where it becomes universally accepted as a highly competitive scene. Given that the Japanese community will only listen to top players and I myself was nowhere near that status, the former was not going to realistically happen so I decided to focus on the latter.

When I started to contribute there was no BSS tournament scene besides a one-off tournament that happened before I was mod. There were active discussion threads but nothing really showcasing people actually playing games. I set out to create a pilot tournament in 2016 and then created a full circuit for 2017, also being one of the few circuits with a playoff system at the time. This helped us greatly in letting us have ribbon rewards for the circuit in 2018, and we made several improvements to our circuit every year. To increase integration opportunities with other sections of this website, I created BSPL and hosted it every year for 5 years. Luckily, we were able to pull interest from several Smogon players and including VGC in BSPL brought a lot of interaction with the DOU community. During all of this, BSS became known to more and more people on this site and the overall player level in Smogon BSS was increasing. My biggest failure in building up the BSS scene was probably not being able to get BSS in LTPL earlier, but with its inclusion in LTPL III I am excited to see how much it will jump the scene further.

Needless to say, I was not able to accomplish my ultimate goal. We are still probably nowhere near achieving that goal, if it is possible at all. But I like to think that I was able to take the first few steps in the right direction. I was able to create a 1 from a 0, but I'm sure there are people out there who are better fit to turning that 1 into something bigger, which is why I'm stepping down for the next person to take the helm. Best of luck to cant say and to the future BS leaders.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the ride. If you have any questions please forward them to my secretary Psynergy

DW OUT:blobwizard:

chemcoop

Here is something to believe in!
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Two-Time Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Community Leader
BSSC was what brought me to the community in the first place, and it's been awesome to see how much of community staples the BSSC tours and BSPL have become through your hard work. Hope you're still planning on sticking around in the Discord and chatting about BSS! Thanks for everything!

Thanks for all the hard work you did in setting up tours + BSPLs, I'm sure all of that stressed you out or was painful to do but you still did it for the community and we all thank you for that. Whatever it is that you intend to do in the future I hope it works out perfectly.
So once again before I start repeating myself like a parrot, thanks for everything that you put yourself through.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As the previous battle spot leader, I would like to say good work DragonWhale. Those who are old enough to remember may recall that back in the day, we weren't even sure if tournaments and Pokemon Showdown was the right direction to focus this section, as opposed to trying to compete for high rankings on the in-game ladder.

There is no way to know how things may have gone if we took the latter ladder (hehe) direction, but it is at least good to see the route we did choose ended up being a success. It was very cool to see how much tournaments and the circuit expanded our userbase and gave us a regular community. And BSPL was always a nice highlight of the year for me, as it was a way I could still be involved even if I didn't play anymore.

The burn-out is real; you trailed my time as leader by only about 4 or 5 months, so I get it. But hopefully with responsibilities off, you can enjoy the site more from the retirement home. :blobthumbsup:

And now after nearly 6 long years...the "chosen one" Psynergy will finally fulfill the prophecy and take his rightful spot...

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Thanks for reading and thanks for the ride. If you have any questions please forward them to my secretary Psynergy
Wow you're right #4 did shock me when did I become a secretary?

It almost still surprises me that you're stepping down even though you've been thinking about it for awhile, you've been around for so long that it's hard to imagine the BSS community without an actual Japanese player as a community leader. I can't really say much else that other people haven't already said but you've done a lot to push our community further, even if it still feels like our community is relatively small.

I can only hope that your efforts will make it even easier for the community to keep growing moving forward and that taking a step back from the added responsibilities makes things more enjoyable for you. :smogduck:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)