Too many terms, words, and abbreviations

Because I'm completely new to the battling scene I have read through most of the articles. The biggest problem though is all special terms.

When writing an article there is common sense not to use terms that haven't been explained or that could be explained at the bottom of the page, or by the use of proper html.

There is a Dictionary though and it is great. But it don't have all frequent terms in it and in the articles there are terms only used once, thus making them hard to understand for those who don't know all the special terms yet.

Three solutions are at hand, preferable using all three.

Rewrite the dictionary.
Add more terms, with a smart system you could also tell which are special terms and which terms that are common.

Add more html description.
You already have a acronym engine running. It often falsely states that HP Ice is Hit Power Ice instead of Hidden Power Ice. It made me confused a long time.. XD

Make the article writers more aware
Make them more aware that they have to explain their terms or refrain from using terms like shortenings for Pokémon when they can write the whole name. The article will also look more clean and professional.

I could easily help out with both the html and dictionary stuff since I like writing explanations. I have learned a lot the two days I have been here reading but it could have been more painless. I also have some ideas for some introduction on how you should learn battling.

I tutor the best players in Europe in Stepmania and Smash Bros. Melee on how to think and train correctly and how to use your brain when you play. Effortful study is important but several other factors too, you usually just play and learn and don’t think about it.

Anyhow, this was just a suggestion on how you could make the texts easier to understand for newcomers.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Because I'm completely new to the battling scene I have read through most of the articles. The biggest problem though is all special terms.

When writing an article there is common sense not to use terms that haven't been explained or that could be explained at the bottom of the page, or by the use of proper html.

There is a Dictionary though and it is great. But it don't have all frequent terms in it and in the articles there are terms only used once, thus making them hard to understand for those who don't know all the special terms yet.

Three solutions are at hand, preferable using all three.

Rewrite the dictionary.
Add more terms, with a smart system you could also tell which are special terms and which terms that are common.

You think there aren't ENOUGH terms in the current dictionary? =x

Add more html description.
You already have a acronym engine running. It often falsely states that HP Ice is Hit Power Ice instead of Hidden Power Ice. It made me confused a long time.. XD

it's in the standard article guidelines, we're working on that

Make the article writers more aware
Make them more aware that they have to explain their terms or refrain from using terms like shortenings for Pokémon when they can write the whole name. The article will also look more clean and professional.

and also repetitive when you say Skarmory three times in the same sentence, plus most abbreviations denote a specific set for that Pokemon which then usually is the one referred to

I could easily help out with both the html and dictionary stuff since I like writing explanations. I have learned a lot the two days I have been here reading but it could have been more painless. I also have some ideas for some introduction on how you should learn battling.

waiting for chaos/justin/skarm/arti/anyone else to post to decide on that

I tutor the best players in Europe in Stepmania and Smash Bros. Melee on how to think and train correctly and how to use your brain when you play. Effortful study is important but several other factors too, you usually just play and learn and don’t think about it.

we have a tutoring programme too =D

Anyhow, this was just a suggestion on how you could make the texts easier to understand for newcomers.

As long as the abbreviation of, for an example, a Pokémon with a certain moveset is explained the first time it is used you can use it through the text.

Many articles have terms that are never explained and shortened word for Pokémon they talk about the first time. For example Maggy it could mean three Pokémon. And it is just a few letters away for being the full name. Almost all Pokémon names are short and easy. But if you are about to say Dragon Dance Salmence everytime it would get kinda annoying.

I know about the tutoring program. ^^ I already applied. I dont have a program though. People just want to learn. ^^

There is alot to read here and that is great. I have been deep in articles in two days now. Not even overlooking the forum. I also tried some Netbattling. =D

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, for something like Dragon Dance Salamence, I like to title that set "DDMence" or something so people know what I'm talking about. The HP thing is supposed to always be written as Hidden Power to not confuse the auto-abbreviation definition thing.

For the strategydex, we're working on removing it there, and it should be happening in the strategy articles as well (I wrote most of these, by the way). It's just that the strategydex has priority now, but I could completely fix up my own articles once in a while as well.

If you want to save me some searching, try listing non-obvious terms in the articles here. Site coders can use the HTML stuff thingy and I can obviously rewrite parts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)