Online Competition Tiny Tourney (2021)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The next online competition has been announced and it's one we've had before in gen 7, but with a twist; Tiny Tourney!

This time, in addition to only 'short' pokemon being allowed, they also now have to "capable of evolving and not evolved yet." So basically LC doubles minus some big babies. Last time we had things like Excadrill, Kartana, the Lake Trio etc dominating the format. Although the new rules (and Dynamax replacing Z moves) make this significantly different to the old format, you can still check out the old thread for it here.

Rules:
  • Bring 6, pick 4 double battles
  • All Pokemon become level 50 during the match. Item and species clause applies.
  • Eligible Pokemon:
    Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Caterpie, Sandshrew, Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, Vulpix, Zubat, Oddish, Diglett, Meowth, Psyduck, Growlithe, Poliwag, Abra, Machop, Tentacool, Ponyta, Magnemite, Farfetch'd (Galarian Form), Shellder, Krabby, Exeggcute, Cubone, Koffing, Rhyhorn, Tangela, Horsea, Goldeen, Staryu, Magikarp, Eevee, Porygon, Omanyte, Kabuto, Hoothoot, Chinchou, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi, Natu, Wooper, Sneasel, Swinub, Corsola (Galarian Form), Remoraid, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Larvitar, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Zigzagoon, Lotad, Seedot, Wingull, Ralts, Nincada, Whismur, Azurill, Aron, Electrike, Carvanha, Trapinch, Swablu, Barboach, Corphish, Baltoy, Lileep, Anorith, Feebas, Duskull, Wynaut, Snorunt, Spheal, Bagon, Beldum, Shinx, Budew, Combee, Cherubi, Shellos, Drifloon, Buneary, Stunky, Bronzor, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, Gible, Munchlax, Riolu, Hippopotas, Skorupi, Croagunk, Mantyke, Snover, Lillipup, Purrloin, Munna, Pidove, Roggenrola, Woobat, Drilbur, Timburr, Tympole, Venipede, Cottonee, Petilil, Sandile, Darumaka, Dwebble, Scraggy, Yamask, Tirtouga, Archen, Trubbish, Zorua, Minccino, Gothita, Solosis, Vanillite, Karrablast, Foongus, Joltik, Ferroseed, Klink, Elgyem, Litwick, Axew, Cubchoo, Shelmet, Mienfoo, Golett, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, Deino, Bunnelby, Fletchling, Pancham, Espurr, Honedge, Spritzee, Swirlix, Inkay, Binacle, Skrelp, Clauncher, Helioptile, Tyrunt, Goomy, Phantump, Pumpkaboo, Bergmite, Noibat, Rowlet, Litten, Popplio, Grubbin, Cutiefly, Rockruff, Mareanie, Mudbray, Dewpider, Fomantis, Morelull, Salandit, Stufful, Bounsweet, Wimpod, Sandygast, Jangmo-o, Poipole, Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble, Skwovet, Rookidee, Blipbug, Nickit, Gossifleur, Wooloo, Chewtle, Yamper, Rolycoly, Applin, Arrokuda, Toxel, Sizzlipede, Clobbopus, Sinistea, Hatenna, Impidimp, Milcery, Snom, Dreepy, Kubfu

Tagging Lego to get this on Showdown :swole:

Always love a quirky format. Would be keen to get in some test battles - anyone know when this might go live on Showdown?

Waiting to test my team on showdown as well. Since this is kinda new, I'd like to discuss this format.

Should the first approach to build a team be "Pick up a LC Doubles team and replace some mons for LC Ubers mons and adjust items and movesets to the format" or "Pick up a VGC team like Sun Zard and devolve everything"?

Very interested to see what people will use. I did the first approach I've mentioned and I think I've obtained something solid enough. Just hope Dreepycoly aren't that prevalent in the format, tired of that strat lol

Waiting to test my team on showdown as well. Since this is kinda new, I'd like to discuss this format.

Should the first approach to build a team be "Pick up a LC Doubles team and replace some mons for LC Ubers mons and adjust items and movesets to the format" or "Pick up a VGC team like Sun Zard and devolve everything"?

Very interested to see what people will use. I did the first approach I've mentioned and I think I've obtained something solid enough. Just hope Dreepycoly aren't that prevalent in the format, tired of that strat lol
I'm curious too!

For now I've started just by looking over the list of LC mons on Showdown and thinking about the speed tiers / high BST standouts.

Are there any good resources for reading up on LC doubles? Not a format I've looked into much in the past!

I also think there could be some key differences between the formats? E.g. Showdown-only formats tend to permit multiples of items (e.g. Eviolite spam) whereas most official formats don't allow that. Also not seeing much reference to Dynamax in the LC reading I have been doing.

Last edited:
I'm curious too!

For now I've started just by looking over the list of LC mons on Showdown and thinking about the speed tiers / high BST standouts.

Are there any good resources for reading up on LC doubles? Not a format I've looked into much in the past!

I also think there could be some key differences between the formats? E.g. Showdown-only formats tend to permit multiples of items (e.g. Eviolite spam) whereas most official formats don't allow that. Also not seeing much reference to Dynamax in the LC reading I have been doing.
Yeah Dynamax and Item Clause will be the biggest differences from LC to this format. That's why I think using LC Doubles Ubers mons will be very good. Some like Corsola-G have similar stats to non-LC mons so with LC Dynamax speed tiers will be important because everything will die with a few hits, so you need bulky mons to tank. Looking forward to see the format implemented early this week on PS!, I wanna test this asap!

Some interesting combinations that I have thought about but will mostly not use.
Archen/Koffing for neutralizing gas plus defeatist, pretty sure Archen has the highest Attack Stat in this format plus a choice scarf would make it nasty
Grookey/Drifloon the lone terrain setter plus unburden and tailwind anyone? Very few reliable tailwind users in this format, also including Zubat, Noibat and Fletchling (w/priority)
Duskull/Mudbray Remember that Duskull gets Levitate and trick room plus insane defenses with Eviolite coupled with ally switch shenanigans.
I hope the item clause restricts and makes the use of eviolite strategic, Dynamax is fine in this set up as well. Some real standouts and a very interesting mix of mons.

one thing I'll add is that with Dynamax present, you should definitely consider Rufflet if you're going to be playing this. Hustle + Max Airstream/Knuckle gives it a really dangerous toolkit and power tier that's way stronger than what's around it. It is fairly max dependent so keep that in mind!

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Another thing to note is that unless the regulation rules are wrong(and trust me, they did mess this up a few times before), battles will be held at level 50, which changes everything compared to level 5.

I'm wondering when this will be added...
I've already prepared but I have no opponent ...
At this stage should we assume it's not going to be introduced on Showdown? :(

I also can't see anywhere to play the Smogon LC Doubles format on Showdown either, but don't k iw if I'm just missing something.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm wondering when this will be added...
I've already prepared but I have no opponent ...
At this stage should we assume it's not going to be introduced on Showdown? :(

I also can't see anywhere to play the Smogon LC Doubles format on Showdown either, but don't k iw if I'm just missing something.
the code was added recently but hasn’t been merged to the simulator yet. please be patient :psyglad:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yeah I got 4 matches in on stream yesterday and ran into the same problem. Couldn’t even get a casual game started.

I haven’t tried again today but if it seems to be working can someone ping the #tiny_tourney channel on discord?

Was able to get today's done, but i'm a bit worried about tomorrow's last 15. I only get afternoons to do these battles, so i have to hope the servers are fine in the few hours before the tourney ends.

I enjoyed this format!

All 45 battles done so curious to hear others' views.

What were people's strategies for dealing with Porygon? It was certainly my least favourite match-up, and other than hurling Fighting moves at it / Knocking Off its Eviolite I didn't have much clever counterplay.

Sneasel and Rufflet seemed like the other 'top picks' but felt easier to anticipate and counter.

Rufflet --> Weakness Policy
Zen Headbutt
Rock Slide
Brave Bird
Close Combat

Tangela --> Eviolite
Sleep Powder
Rage Powder
Giga Drain
Knock Off

Growlithe (Justified) --> Choice Scarf
Flare Blitz
Play Rough
Wild Charge
Close Combat

Kubfu --> Life Orb
Close Combat
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Aerial Ace

Sneasel --> Assault Vest
Ice Shard
Beat Up
Throat Chop
Fake Out

Magnemite --> Air Balloon
Magnet Rise
Thunderbolt
Steel Beam
Flash Cannon

-----------------

Special mention -->

Swirlix (Sweet Veil) --> Eviolite
Calm Mind
Cotton Guard
Flamethrower
Draining Kiss

Couldn't find a team to fit it on, so didn't use it, but this thing in practice was an absolute cancer to a lot of teams lol.

==================

AV Sneasel was a niche that actually worked quite well. It stuck around 2-3 turns in nearly every match, which in some made a big difference in a win vs a loss. Magnemite's magnet rise ended up winning it a few games vs an Archen team. Knock Off on Tangela was the best decision i ever made, i didn't lose to Koffing or Corsola teams and made a big difference in some matches vs Munchlax.

I enjoyed this format!

All 45 battles done so curious to hear others' views.

What were people's strategies for dealing with Porygon? It was certainly my least favourite match-up, and other than hurling Fighting moves at it / Knocking Off its Eviolite I didn't have much clever counterplay.

Sneasel and Rufflet seemed like the other 'top picks' but felt easier to anticipate and counter.
This was my team, I think I went 22-23 with it as I saw mostly the benefits of Neutralizing Gas Koffing, such as shutting down ability strats but also sometimes nullifying my Magnemite's sturdy when I really needed to avoid that. Koffing also shut off Defeatist on Archen who probably could have used Protect over Knock Off since the Life Orb was continually eating away at my health. I saw weird things like Duskull paired with offensive G-Corsola who rocked Weak Armor and Weakness Policy and crushed me because I didn't lead Koffing, but who even expects that? I also saw support Sneasel with Surf which enabled Ponyta with Weakness Policy to clean house. Sneasel was a huge issue for me, but Koffing with Taunt helped with a lot of Will-O-Wisp and TR setters and was honestly my MVP. Thoughts on this build?
1639361698389.png

1639361725228.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)