-Encore
-Knock Off
-Stealth Rocks
-Thunder Wave
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Ice Hammer

Overview
Tinkaton has an insane defensive typing alongside stealth rocks. It also has a really good STAB move, Knock Off, and other nice utility moves like encore, thunderwave, and swords dance. Mold breaker allows it to set up rocks against hatterene, which is looking to be a top tier poke. It is also one of very few pokes that can check esparatha although even after esparatha gets banned (which is inevitable tbh), I can still see it being really good, esp with hatt around. It can get up rocks against pokes like any grass type except toedsecruel, choiced locked dragons, blissey, florges, scream tail, and sylveon. It gets opportunities to set up rocks consistently against defensive teams and although it's much harder against offensive teams, it can easily take a hit thanks to its solid natural bulk and it's not setup fodder with a strong gigaton hammer and encore. As for teralizing potential, I rarely teralize Tinkaton but on the rare occasions I do, I like to use tera flying to dodge earthquakes from pokes like salamence and hippowdon. Its main flaws are that it struggle to hit hard on any move not named gigaton hammer, it has no recovery, and it can be free entry for a lot of bulky waters.

Potential Sets
Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Encore

General nice all purpose tinkaton set. You should probably run a bit of attack investment to this set. Knock Off is almost as defining towards tinkaton as gigaton hammer imo, as punishing pokes like bisharp, the slow twins, and talonflame is just too important. Really, Knock Off punishes just about everything and it also really helps in the Wo-Chien matchup. I really like encore as it lets tinkaton punish setup sweepers, which are definetly the biggest threats in a meta with tera. Encore could also give tinkaton the upper hand vs other stealth rock setters. I think it's mandatory to have one of encore or swords dance on any tinkaton set as otherwise, your matchup against esparatha becomes much worse. When esparatha gets banned however (I don't see a world where it stays in UU), you could likely fit thunder wave onto this set to support slow hard hitters and it also punishes setup sweepers just as well.

Tinkaton @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Gigaton Hammer
-Swords Dance
-Tera Blast
-Knock Off/Play Rough

I don't really like dedicated sweeper sets with Tinkaton, especially since gigaton hammer's downside is much more noticeable on this set and with pokes like quagsire and gastrodon running around, it feels a bit too difficult to get a sweep out of this set. But I suppose someone could make it work.

have you tried using encore with SD? maybe leftovers instead of LO to?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1734141884 like here it is putting in work with encore and it can naturally use its bulk
I think you could reasonably justify that. You could use that with a more defensive set on the SR set or perhaps with some speed investment. It still wouldn't be a very good sweeper but rather a tank that can do some serious damage.

they make tinkaton have more of an offensive presence
What does 80 Attack EVs hit? Does it allow Tinkaton to grab a 2HKO or an OHKO against a specific Pokemon it may be missing out on? Are the Special Defense EVs enough to survive something and then the rest are dumped into Attack? What are the specifics here?

What does 80 Attack EVs hit? Does it allow Tinkaton to grab a 2HKO or an OHKO against a specific Pokemon it may be missing out on? Are the Special Defense EVs enough to survive something and then the rest are dumped into Attack? What are the specifics here?
I don’t remember remember what the original evs were for, but I’d say to dump the extra 80 into defense instead of attack now for Bax and Lokix

80 Attack EVs do literally nothing. It's just a random number that was picked. 92 Attack EVs are what is common now, because they allow Tinkaton to OHKO Gengar after Stealth Rock damage.

Tinkaton is one of the most useful pokemon in UU. Having the defensive typing in the game it can easily tank hits and set up Stealth Rock and hit hard plenty of times through out the match. It can even set up and sweep having respectable speed. My number one set to use is the Choice Band set and have Gigaton Hammer do ridiculous destruction.

Tinkaton is one of the most useful pokemon in UU. Having the defensive typing in the game it can easily tank hits and set up Stealth Rock and hit hard plenty of times through out the match. It can even set up and sweep having respectable speed. My number one set to use is the Choice Band set and have Gigaton Hammer do ridiculous destruction.
Choice Band is really not worth running on Tinkaton as clicking Gigaton Hammer while Banded turns you into setup fodder, which Tinkaton would otherwise be able to prevent thanks to Encore or Thunder Wave. Swords Dance is good and so is support sets, but Choice Band is an absolute no.

Choice Band is really not worth running on Tinkaton as clicking Gigaton Hammer while Banded turns you into setup fodder, which Tinkaton would otherwise be able to prevent thanks to Encore or Thunder Wave. Swords Dance is good and so is support sets, but Choice Band is an absolute no.
I made a team around Choice Band Tinkaton and it is a absolute destroyer. There are very few pokemon that exist can avoid a 2ko and Gigaton Hammer is powerful that it can OHKO some pokemon that resist it. It is actually really easy to manage the free turns that results from GH.

I made a team around Choice Band Tinkaton and it is a absolute destroyer. There are very few pokemon that exist can avoid a 2ko and Gigaton Hammer is powerful that it can OHKO some pokemon that resist it. It is actually really easy to manage the free turns that results from GH.
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 199-235 (70.8 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 240-283 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kilowattrel: 225-265 (80 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salazzle: 225-265 (81.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, this is all big damage, but note how this is against offensive Pokemon who resist it and are NOT OHKOed. A; There are plenty of Pokemon that can avoid 2HKOs. B; Gigaton Hammer is Tinkaton's only real 'powerful' attack, as its base 75 Attack stat is let down by the not-so-crazy base power of Play Rough or any other move. C; If these are Pokemon who resist the attack, are fragile and are not OHKOed, imagine what happens to Pokemon who can resist it but aren't made out of wet tissue paper.

252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 199-235 (70.8 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Floatzel: 240-283 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kilowattrel: 225-265 (80 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salazzle: 225-265 (81.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes, this is all big damage, but note how this is against offensive Pokemon who resist it and are NOT OHKOed. A; There are plenty of Pokemon that can avoid 2HKOs. B; Gigaton Hammer is Tinkaton's only real 'powerful' attack, as its base 75 Attack stat is let down by the not-so-crazy base power of Play Rough or any other move. C; If these are Pokemon who resist the attack, are fragile and are not OHKOed, imagine what happens to Pokemon who can resist it but aren't made out of wet tissue paper.
I run usually Tera Steel so many of those damage calcs turn into OHKOs, I also run generally Play Rough, Stone Edge and Knock Off. Yeah Gigaton Hammer is the nuke and is incredibly powerful. Play Rough has decent power being able 2ko things like 252 HP Gastrodon. Stone Edge is important for things like Gyarados, Talonflame and Amarouge. for the last slow Knock Off is generally the best option to get rid of items other notable mentions is Brick Break for Bisharp. The main pokemon that can actually consistently tank its hits are are Almomola, Quagsire, Hippowdon and to a lesser extent Slowking. There are a few others that aren't completely obliterated by it but they don't have recovery.

I run usually Tera Steel so many of those damage calcs turn into OHKOs, I also run generally Play Rough, Stone Edge and Knock Off. Yeah Gigaton Hammer is the nuke and is incredibly powerful. Play Rough has decent power being able 2ko things like 252 HP Gastrodon. Stone Edge is important for things like Gyarados, Talonflame and Amarouge. for the last slow Knock Off is generally the best option to get rid of items other notable mentions is Brick Break for Bisharp. The main pokemon that can actually consistently tank its hits are are Almomola, Quagsire, Hippowdon and to a lesser extent Slowking. There are a few others that aren't completely obliterated by it but they don't have recovery.
To be blunt, none of those Pokemon should even be switching into Tinkaton. They're all fragile as sin, so chances are your opponent is doing something wrong rather than you doing something right if they try switching their 60/60/60 Pokemon into anything. Even if you do wanna opt for offensive Tinkaton, you should be running Swords Dance and Encore or Protect. Because it lets you switch moves and lets you still remain threatening, even if Gigaton Hammer didn't land against a mon you wanted it to. Encore also opens up countless set-up possiblities and Protect lets you spam Gigaton Hammer pretty much freely (forcing your opponent to attack you every turn), not to mention Knock Off.

To be blunt, none of those Pokemon should even be switching into Tinkaton. They're all fragile as sin, so chances are your opponent is doing something wrong rather than you doing something right if they try switching their 60/60/60 Pokemon into anything. Even if you do wanna opt for offensive Tinkaton, you should be running Swords Dance and Encore or Protect. Because it lets you switch moves and lets you still remain threatening, even if Gigaton Hammer didn't land against a mon you wanted it to. Encore also opens up countless set-up possiblities and Protect lets you spam Gigaton Hammer pretty much freely (forcing your opponent to attack you every turn), not to mention Knock Off.
The ones in the calcs I mean. Gyarados, Gastrodon and Talonflame should.

Tinkaton just isn't powerful enough without a Choice Band. It just makes it way more threatening. Life Orb isn't a good item since you are cutting into its bulk and amazing defensive typing. Having perfect prediction really allows the CB become a monster. Additionally only having 2 attacking moves makes it much easier for pokemon like Talonflame to come in and burn you or just flare blitz you.

Tinkaton just isn't powerful enough without a Choice Band. It just makes it way more threatening. Life Orb isn't a good item since you are cutting into its bulk and amazing defensive typing. Having perfect prediction really allows the CB become a monster. Additionally only having 2 attacking moves makes it much easier for pokemon like Talonflame to come in and burn you or just flare blitz you.
You are MUCH more powerful with Swords Dance than you are a Choice Band. You lack the immediate threat that the Choice Band set has as a trade-off. Not only was the Life Orb never mentioned in this convo until you brung it up, but Tinkaton actually opts for Leftovers instead of the Life Orb, which enhances its survivability rather than cutting into it. UU Talonflame doesn't run Flare Blitz anyways and even the 'perfect prediction' could cost you because of Stone Edge's largely inaccurate nature, meaning that the Talonflame which you correctly predicted comes in for free anyways and clicks Will-O-Wisp.

You are MUCH more powerful with Swords Dance than you are a Choice Band. You lack the immediate threat that the Choice Band set has as a trade-off. Not only was the Life Orb never mentioned in this convo until you brung it up, but Tinkaton actually opts for Leftovers instead of the Life Orb, which enhances its survivability rather than cutting into it. UU Talonflame doesn't run Flare Blitz anyways and even the 'perfect prediction' could cost you because of Stone Edge's largely inaccurate nature, meaning that the Talonflame which you correctly predicted comes in for free anyways and clicks Will-O-Wisp.
Sure Leftovers does help a bit with longevity but the weakenss is its significantly weaker from the get go. Of the Tinkaton I have come across 45% run Life Orb, 25% Leftovers, 25% Choice Band and the rest some other item. Stone Edge may not have the best accuracy but it is important to break through some of the Pokémon I previously mentioned and since its not a contact move can help Tinkaton avoid some possible negative after effects.

Why doesn't it learn Wood Hammer?
Idk ask gamefreak

Sure Leftovers does help a bit with longevity but the weakenss is its significantly weaker from the get go. Of the Tinkaton I have come across 45% run Life Orb, 25% Leftovers, 25% Choice Band and the rest some other item. Stone Edge may not have the best accuracy but it is important to break through some of the Pokémon I previously mentioned and since its not a contact move can help Tinkaton avoid some possible negative after effects.
Ladder statistics /=/ what good players are running rn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)