Tournament Tier Shift Conquest [Won by MAMP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
Won in a really fun game vs Gooser, GG! http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-367544936

Analysis:

Poliwrath: Not NFE, but it's bad enough to talk about. This and Sliggoo won the game for me. It actually has some good use as a physical defensive mon due to its good typing, and it can run bulk up circle throw or a special set. I decided to be real and run a modest special attacking set, and it won the game (Hail vacuum wave) - Gooser didn't really have an answer. As far as regular TS, it can have fill a physically defensive niche paired with a wish passer.

Sliggoo: An old NFE favorite, I believe brought to fame by Adrian. Gooser couldn't break it once I got rid of Klang, so it just won. Not going to say much further because everyone knows how amazingly bulky it is, and outrage is fun on resttalk.

Simisage: Again not NFE, but its another shit mon I got (Thanks Peef). It has decent offensive stats with 118 in atk, spa, and spe, but grass typing sucks offensively and it has a poor moveset. Simisear or Simipour are both better, but still aren't really that good. I did use acrobatics to CT Venu but that didn't really end up mattering. I wouldn't recommend using any Simi's, and definitely not Simisage.

Staravia: I knew Gooser would have rocks, so this was my set defogger. I actually ran max phys def with intim, with my only attack being brave bird. It got frozen on an ice beam so I can't really say how it is, but on paper 75/70 defenses with intimidate and eviolite is ok. Probably no reason to use in regular TS.

Opponent Analysis:

Heatmor: Again not NFE, but uncommon enough to talk about. It is surprisingly strong with 117/125 attacking stats, with an amazing movepool. I initially thought the crit first turn was hax, but I checked and it was an easy OHKO without. I can actually see this getting some viable use. If Gooser ran Giga Drain, it probably would have beat my Poliwrath, and Klang would have just won. I'd be interested to see someone build a team with it.

Klang: Ok don't tell anyone but I've been wanting to bring this since this tour started. There's a fun set I thought of... Resttalk Klang! So check this out: Klang - NFE | Steel | Plus / Minus / Clear Body (H) | 80/100/115/90/105/70 (560 BST). Yeah, that's 80/115/105 defenses with eviolite. A set with shift gear/gear grind/resttalk would be reaaallyy good I imagine, and could even work in the regular meta. edit: Apparently Gooser ran this set, but didn't consider vacuum wave. RIP

Dewott: This analysis is good enough for its official x/y analysis tbh: Only bring to CT LaxLapras

Anyway
I'm surprised I won because my team was absolute garbage, literally no mon did anything besides Poliwrath and Sliggoo, but phew that was enough. This tour is fun and I think effective in seeing new things :~)

Last edited:
800 base hp op pls nerf

So this isn't a shitpost, i'm going to say that I used RestTalk Klang in the lower tiers, and it put in work there, so in TS it's not out of the question.

800 base hp op pls nerf

So this isn't a shitpost, i'm going to say that I used RestTalk Klang in the lower tiers, and it put in work there, so in TS it's not out of the question.
Let's keep the metagame discussion to the main thread imo, if you have particular interest in a Pokemon post about it there so that thread gets some much needed activity!

e. next round will be up when I get home

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
LOL I forgot about this, what are my mons or just give opp win cuz I haven't played a single game

e: O ty vvv and contacted

Last edited:
Won vs LaxLapras in nail-biting gg
(Also I guarantee this is the most times you'll see a slow-ass Spiritomb flinch something lmao)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-367859273

EDIT: The squad:
Vyse (Carbink) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Trick Room

Fina (Spritzee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Aika (Sliggoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Outrage
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gilder (Crawdaunt) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aerial Ace

Enrique (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Curse
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

Drachma (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt

There's some weird shit here but it worked out so don't judge me :P

Here are my thoughts:
Crawdaunt: Tbh I think this thing is good in OU already, so I won't complain about the extra +5. I went with Band because I couldn't set up on anything, and it got three kills (albeit on very weakened opponents). Give it a shot IMO, I'd say its the best Aqua Jet user behind Azumaril.
Magneton: Pretty damn good. At the very least, its probably all-around better than Magnezone after the boosts. I went with Scarf because my team was super slow, and I set the EV's to beat Electabuzz (which, coincidentally, I faced). It can serve as a trapper, an Eviolite Analytic tank or a fearsome Choice user. Solid pickup.
Gastrodon: Generally, you'll probably opt for Quagsire as a Water/Ground in TS, but Gastrodon can hold its own. I was an idiot and took off Storm Drain because I didn't think I'd face any Water types, so I had to have Spritzee take an early Scald for fear of the burn. My spread took on Nidoking and Electabuzz like a champ, and if I had the chance to set it up, Curse would have put in some work.
Carbink: Use Diancie. Yeah, you have slightly more bulk, but also much worse offenses and movepool. More like Garbink.
Sliggoo: I finally joined the dark side and used this thing for an NFE slot, but looking at my team, I realized I needed a Servine counter or I'd just get 6-0'd with ease. Anyway, yeah, its really bulky and crushes teams without a Fairy or set-up sweeper. I would have swept too, if it weren't for that meddling Spiritomb. :P
Spritzee: Faces stiff competition for Clefairy as far as Eviolite Fairies go, but I needed something to handle Breloom (which is why I have RestTalk over WishTect) as well as Spiritomb. It has much better Defense and HP than Floette, which is why I didn't use that. It has some pretty serious bulk, and it served me fairly well, though I had to switch it in to too many things and it got overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-367859273 Lost, gg

Really haxy game, flinched his sliggoo a lot but it eventually got the KO, then I had the breloom sweep then it got critted and I lost, toxic miss also came back to bite, oh well. Thanks Peef Rimgar for the tour, but not the teams ;;

Analysis:

Spiritomb: Use Sableye

Vespiqueen: Click X

Electabuzz: Pretty reliable and known, really good mon in TS.

Wartortle: I needed a spinner for my almighty vespiqueen. Sigh. But eh this is pretty bad, no good use in TS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-368241035
Beat DTK.
Peef said I could use all the cosplay forms, not just the base cosplay.

Analyses:

Mew: While Mew could theoretically run a near endless amount of sets, only several of those would be good in practice. I chose to run a mixed spread with a slight emphasis on physical defense with Stealth Rock to take advantage of my opponent's lack of Defog.
Pachirisu: The only thing that salvages this from being completely unusable is Super Fang. If you want to limit yourself, you can run a physically defensive spread with Leftovers or a specially defensive spread with Assault Vest.
Pikachu-Cosplay: The lack of Nasty Plot and Extremespeed(and some coverage moves like Surf) makes this almost completely inferior to regular Pikachu, the only advantage being a single coverage move. I chose to go with Libre because three of his assigned mons were weak to Flying Press and the fourth would be easily OHKO'd by Thunderbolt. Unless you're using it for a specific counterteam(as in this tour), stick to regular Pikachu, or, better yet, Electabuzz.
Tornadus: Didn't get to see much action. It hits a good speed tier and has decent mixed offenses with a good mixed movepool to complement it, but the fact that its best physical STAB requires you to go itemless is a shame.
Quilladin: I've already analyzed this. I needed Roar to beat a potential Sliggoo choice, allowing me to set up Spikes on it and phaze it out before it got too many Curses.
Frillish: Occasionally I used to take several of my LC teams(levelled up to 100) to low ladder Ubers and laugh at the result. Frillish was almost always the MVP of those games, beating poorly played Ubers without any boosts. Being the only NFE Ghost with reliable recovery(sorry Yamask and Dusclops) that doesn't stack weaknesses with the rest of my team(sorry Pumpkaboo), this was already the perfect pick. Being able to beat Slowbro and Regice and spinblock Hitmonchan and beat it if it lacked Thunder Punch was even better. This could have put in work all by itself if the rest of my team hadn't already done its job for it.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Actually played a game and won, gg Illusio
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-368697859
I suppose I gotta do this so here:

Gastrodon: didn't do much in the replay however it's an amazing mon with 121 / 78 / 92 defenses which is nothing to laugh at. I ran the curse physically defensive set because looking ay my mons, most were fat and bulky. I wanted a win condition on the stall team I conjured up so there
Hypno: Also didn't do much but has amazing spdef and decent HP, outclassed by many other mons so I wouldn't really say to use this
Mandibuzz: just bulkier than it usually is by a tiny bit, used a toxic taunt stall set
Boldore: Definitely outclassed but I wanted to fit the criteria and wanted the bulkiest possible rocker with the best suited typing for my team. Ended up stalling out Donphan with toxic and kept rocks on the field, sick
Floette: I wanted a dark resist + a cleric for my team and Floette seemed like a decent option. It has about 350 def and spdef with the eviolite in tier shift in decent HP, so it's not bad. Dunno if this would be better than Florges, probably actually.

Won vs. Lax in a gg with a bit of hax.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-370888348

EDIT:
Galio (Spritzee) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect

Zyra (Cherrim) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flower Gift
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Energy Ball
- Healing Wish
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Morning Sun

Renekton (Krokorok) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Cassiopeia (Seviper) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Switcheroo

Lissandra (Cryogonal) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Quinn (Swellow) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

I'm running out of naming themes...

Thoughts on the low-tier squad:
Swellow: My highest-tiered member from the prestigious NU. Not too shabby, honestly, just because its disgustingly fast and has high-power STAB, despite its disappointing offenses. I ran Modest Specs and still outrun pretty much anything my opponent could bring outside a Scarf user or Timid Electabuzz (which I had another Scarfer to outspeed). Boomburst hits pretty hard despite terrible SpA, and Heatwave came in clutch to outspeed and kill +2 Klang. In normal TS, you'll probably still pass it up for better Pokemon, but it did well here (I even got to use 16 Atk Quick Attack to evade Sucker Punch lol). If you're trying it out in TS, I'd experiment with a Guts set, which seemed more exploitable by the matchup (Gliscor has higher Def and can stall out Poison damage with Protect, Whimsicott can spam Sub) but might be good in other battles.
Seviper: Versatile, fun and pretty bad. I considered running a Coil + Rest Shed Skin set for the hell of it, but I wanted a Scarfer so I could run Modest on Swellow. Knock Off did exactly what I wanted it to by crippling Gliscor, but otherwise it didn't do much other than get some damage off on Klang. Your movepool, Atk and SpA are all pretty solid, honestly, but you're still fairly slow at 85 and your bulk isn't too great. If you're just messing around, Seviper has a few cute options -- you could do worse.
Cryagonal: Yeah, 90/155 special bulk is kind of nuts for a friggin' snowflake. I EV'd it to take on Servine because I was afraid of it, but with 115/125 special offenses, you could also run it as an attacker. Pretty good spin support that I didn't end up needing, though you'll probably pass it up for better spinners in normal TS because Ice type is still pretty bad.
Cherrim: It wasn't bad in this battle...but there are so many options for Grass types. Healing Wish support is cool, but why not just use Lilligant or a non-Grass type like Latias? Anyway, it was one of my three ways to handle annoying-ass Whimsicott, so I appreciate you for that, Cherrim.
Spritzee: Yeah, I used this thing again, both as a Sliggoo counter and a stop to Absol which had the potential to slaughter my team. Not recommended for normal play, but Eviolite + 98/80 physical bulk on a Fairy is very valuable to take on a variety of physical attackers.
Krokorok: Yes, another Absol check, because I was that afraid of it. I wouldn't recommend it normally, but it definitely pulled its weight that game (mostly by dodging 2 Play Roughs in row like a champ). Didn't set up Rocks like it supposed to, but it tanked Attack Order and killed Vespiquen with Stone Edge, and its Intimidate support helped me deal with Absol alongside some Def investment to take 2 Superpowers.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
pissed at the hax

Golduck: Specs is the most usable set, although calm mind doesn't seem horrid. With Swift Swim unbanned, it's a decent alternative to Omastar.
Luvdisc: Utter garbage.
Regigigas: Utter garbage that's even more weak to toxic.
Swampert(non-mega): There's better bulky water/grounds, like Seismitoad and Gastrodon.
Bergmite: Incredibly niche. The typing really kills it, but decent otherwise.
Sliggoo: lol how many people have analyzed this already

Final thoughts on all the mons I got throughout all the rounds:

Magmar: Decent surprise factor, pretty speedy, and surprisingly bulky. Unpredictable and guessing wrong can be disastrous.
Wartortle: Decently bulky spinner. Could see use on bulky hazard stacking teams.
Wooper: Now that Quagsire is OU, this could rise as the preferred Unaware wall.
Simisage: Very unpredictable, extremely fast. All of the monkeys fit this description really, but Simisage can break through bulky waters much easier with STAB Grass moves.
Kingdra: Double Dance is amazing as a setup sweeper that beats Unaware and seriously puts the hurt on walls before it goes down.
Quilladin: I liked this thing so much I used it twice.
Shieldon: If, for whatever reason, you want a Steel type that knows Ice Beam, this is NOT the mon for you. Use Empoleon instead.
Frillish: Silly and bulky as all hell.
Pikachu-N: This already sees major usage in Extreme Tier Shift. Who knows, maybe it could become the next big thing.
Tornadus-I: Decently quick Defiant attacker, either mixed or physical.
Sliggoo: If usage alone in this tour determined viability, Sliggoo would be S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)