Thunder Wave (and assorted goods)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thunder Wave / paralysis in general

I feel like this status condition is underrated. However, with so much fast stuff you can almost just throw a T-Wave or Serene Grace Body Slam / Thunder and something gets screwed over. A slow Blaziken, Genesect, Deoxys-S, *Keldeo, Dragonite, Chandelure, or even Breloom is basically a non-threat (if you're carrying the right stuff, of course). Obviously, you aren't going to want to paralyze Blissey or something, but slowing one of the threatening sweepers pays much more than accidentally paralyzing a wall.*

What are some good paralyzers? I would imagine Pokemon that attract faster threats such as Dragonite and Starmie could more easily paralyze the fast Mons, but is T-Wave worth a moveslot? Maybe a set should focus on paralysis rather than a normal set with T-Wave slapped on? Parashuffler Dragonite is in this vein. Furthermore, is it possible to base an entire team off paralysis abuse? Etc. Etc. Etc.*

Gogogogogo.*

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well the best one has got to be Thundurus because it gets priority on Twave. I've been using it as a way to make sure I won't get swept by something ridiculous or slow down a fast scarfer. It's a great move to use when Thundurus is weakened almost to the point of being knocked out. Also can use a pretty strong Hp Ice for Ground types, and Focus Blast for Excadrill.

I slap it on bulky gyarados and it is extremely effective. It nullifies many threats, and sweepers that are frail and rely on speed, when paralyzed, are of little threat. I used to use it on jolteon, but most of the time the switch in is immune to electric attacks, or it's just better to switch out on Jolteon rather than paralyze because if they're staying in, they're likely able to one shot him.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell is a good Thunder Wave user because it lures in Chandelure and paralyzes it with ease. The same can be said about any threat it lures, but with Ferrothorn, you always have to ensure you are not setup fodder. A good way to do that is to run both Power Whip and Gyro Ball or use Bulldoze over one of those moves so that you have decent attacking power.

^Far too gimmicky.

In my opinion Thundurus, Ferrothorn, and Tyranitar are currently the best users of Thunder Wave.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Prankster
Timid 0/0/4/252/0/252
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Is currently one of my favorite Dream World sets. Not only does it heavily reward good prediction, but the ability to mitigate the threat of Blaziken, Venusaur, Choice Scarf Genesect, Choice Scarf Chandelure, etc. at any given moment is amazing. It struggles with Choice Scarf Garchomp / Choice Scarf Landorus, but on the bright side Hidden Power Ice OHKOes both of them if they predict incorrectly and miss out on an attempt to switch into Thunderbolt / Thunder Wave.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell is also a good user of Thunder Wave, though it does sadly conflict with Gyro Ball, which is very useful against things like Breloom. Paralyzing Chandelure and then switching out works nicely, and Blaziken often assumes that Ferrothorn can pose it no real threat, so a Thunder Wave as Blaziken attempts to set up really neuters it.

Tyranitar is similar to Ferrothorn in that one of its biggest Thunder Wave targets is Blaziken. Unlike Ferrothorn, though, Tyranitar has access to Ice Beam, allowing it to destroy Garchomp, Gliscor, etc, and its sand prevents Manaphy from healing itself for free with Rest. Granted, a paralyzed Manaphy will be cured as soon it comes back in while rain is active.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I too am a fan of Ferrothorn with Thunder Wave. Ferrothorn is a strangely difficult Pokemon on whom to switch as you fear Thunder Wave and / or Leech Seed, and revenge killing it is not really an option since if you're sacrificing something to Ferrothorn, you're playing wrong. Thunder Wave has excellent synergy with Leech Seed if you are able to pull them both off (it's not that hard, really). It's a shame that Gyro Ball becomes significantly worse, but it's not like it has room for it on such a set anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)