Gen 8 This is the only team I've ever made and it has kinda worked. Any thoughts?

This is my OU Team. I've gotten a decent win-rate with it but I was wondering if it could be improved.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/952191a35407ef5f

Clefable: Clefable: Special Wall and Support. It destroys every Sword/Dragon/Quiver Dancer. Full HP and 176 SpD to live two of Dragapult's Shadow Ball and the remaining on Defense for more bulk. I get the feel that it's frail sometimes so there could be some improvement on the EV Spreads. Aromatherapy gets rid of annoying status, Calm Mind for setup and Soft-Boiled for recovery.
1.png
Pink Moon (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-T: Multipurpose. EVs spread it's kinda weird. I wanted to have max HP and somewhat equal Def and SpD. I initially used Rest instead of EQ for recovery and taking advantage of Clefable's Aromatherapy but I realised that I didn't use it as much so I ended up using EQ for Toxapex and Heatran. It could definitely be improved. Knock off and U-Turn are just useful moves.
645-1.png
Overused (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

A-Ninetales: I use A-Ninetales because it's one of my favorites. Anti-Weather and a Surprise Special Attacker (most people expect Aurora Veil). It can beat a rain team almost by itself. Timid so it can outspeed a bunch of foes. I use Blizzard and Freeze Dry most of the time. Moonblast is for some coverage but I don't use it very often. I hardly ever use Psyshock but I don't know what else to use.
38-1.png
Mozilla (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Rillaboom: Physical Attacker. Grassy Glide for a strong priority, U-Turn and Knock Off for some coverage and utility and High Horsepower for some coverage. Sometimes I feel it's missing something but it has carried a lot of battles. I feel it's too frail sometimes and I can't safely switch to it most of the times but it's a great pokemon to start the battle.
812-0.png
Monke (Rillaboom) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- High Horsepower

Heatran: Anti Melmetal/Ferrothorn/Kartana and Physical Wall. I used to have a different pokemon instead of Heatran but I realised that I needed an answer to Kartana. It can live two Sacred Swords from Kartana thanks to its EV spread. Flamethrower (for obvious reasons), Flash Cannon for coverage, Stealth Rock is almost mandatory and Protect for various reasons (healing from leftovers, stall and even gives room for some mind games).
485-0.png
Dan (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mew: I added Mew recently because my team was too weak to Tapu Lele and Urshifu-RS. EV spread and nature is: enough speed to outspeed Timid Scarf Lele, full Atk and some HP because why not? Moveset might need refinement. EQ is for coverage basically, I-Head for Tapu Lele and other fairys, Psychic Fangs is for Toxapex and Urshifu and Trick helps me with things like Chansey or Toxapex.
151-0.png
Better BEAR (Mew) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Psychic Fangs
- Trick
- Iron Head

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions, and I will be happy to unlock this.

Why did you choose this mon

What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it

What are all 4 moves for

This is my OU Team. I've gotten a decent win-rate with it but I was wondering if it could be improved.

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/952191a35407ef5f

Clefable: Clefable: Special Wall and Support. It destroys every Sword/Dragon/Quiver Dancer. Full HP and 176 SpD to live two of Dragapult's Shadow Ball and the remaining on Defense for more bulk. I get the feel that it's frail sometimes so there could be some improvement on the EV Spreads. Aromatherapy gets rid of annoying status, Calm Mind for setup and Soft-Boiled for recovery.
View attachment 473725
Pink Moon (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Landorus-T: Multipurpose. EVs spread it's kinda weird. I wanted to have max HP and somewhat equal Def and SpD. I initially used Rest instead of EQ for recovery and taking advantage of Clefable's Aromatherapy but I realised that I didn't use it as much so I ended up using EQ for Toxapex and Heatran. It could definitely be improved. Knock off and U-Turn are just useful moves.
View attachment 473726
Overused (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

A-Ninetales: I use A-Ninetales because it's one of my favorites. Anti-Weather and a Surprise Special Attacker (most people expect Aurora Veil). It can beat a rain team almost by itself. Timid so it can outspeed a bunch of foes. I use Blizzard and Freeze Dry most of the time. Moonblast is for some coverage but I don't use it very often. I hardly ever use Psyshock but I don't know what else to use.
View attachment 473727
Mozilla (Ninetales-Alola) (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Rillaboom: Physical Attacker. Grassy Glide for a strong priority, U-Turn and Knock Off for some coverage and utility and High Horsepower for some coverage. Sometimes I feel it's missing something but it has carried a lot of battles. I feel it's too frail sometimes and I can't safely switch to it most of the times but it's a great pokemon to start the battle.
View attachment 473728
Monke (Rillaboom) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- High Horsepower

Heatran: Anti Melmetal/Ferrothorn/Kartana and Physical Wall. I used to have a different pokemon instead of Heatran but I realised that I needed an answer to Kartana. It can live two Sacred Swords from Kartana thanks to its EV spread. Flamethrower (for obvious reasons), Flash Cannon for coverage, Stealth Rock is almost mandatory and Protect for various reasons (healing from leftovers, stall and even gives room for some mind games).
View attachment 473730
Dan (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Mew: I added Mew recently because my team was too weak to Tapu Lele and Urshifu-RS. EV spread and nature is: enough speed to outspeed Timid Scarf Lele, full Atk and some HP because why not? Moveset might need refinement. EQ is for coverage basically, I-Head for Tapu Lele and other fairys, Psychic Fangs is for Toxapex and Urshifu and Trick helps me with things like Chansey or Toxapex.
View attachment 473731
Better BEAR (Mew) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Psychic Fangs
- Trick
- Iron Head

Thanks in advance :)
Cool team!
Some changes i would make are:

:Heatran: Flamethrower -> Lava Plume/Magma Storm and Flash Cannon -> Earth Power

Although Flamethrower is accurate and strong, Lava Plume and Magma Storm are better options. Lava Plume has a ridiculously high burn chance which is very useful for a more defensive pokemon like heatran. Magma storm is super strong and the passive damage is very strong. Earth Power is a better option than Flash Cannon because it pairs well with fire coverage wise.

:Mew: Iron Head -> Flare Blitz and maybe Earthquake -> Close Combat

Iron Head doesn’t help mew very much and it gets walled by corv. Flare Blitz fixes that issue. I say Close Combat is also good because it hit dark types who want to switch into mew but this depends on preference.

:Ninetales-Alola: Psyshock -> Dark Pulse/Psychic

You can keep psyshock for Blissey, but Blissey isn’t
all that common. Psychic is stronger and hit pex stronger. Dark Pulse hits steels neutrally and hits ghosts

I’m not all that good at rating but hope this helps!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello there,

Cool team, I like the use of Ninetails on the teams, and love what it brings to the table.

I'll give threats I see and then suggest changes:

Threats: I can see Swords Dance Bisharp being a problem, it would break through Clefable regardless of Unaware being present via Iron Head, after 1 SD Landorus-Therian cannot do anything because of Defiant, and the only answer you have is Heatran and Ninetales. If Heatran or Ninetales are in low Health, they could get beaten by Knock Off / Sucker Punch (So be careful if you see it in team preview).

Suggestions:

I feel like to use Unaware Clefable to the fullest potential, it should start of as a physical wall so if you need special defense you can just Calm Mind so go with (Bold Nature 252 HP/ 252 Def /4 SpD). The move set looks fine, definitely kill off Poison, Steel, and Fire types so you can setup late game with Clefable.

For Landorus-Therian I would go with different EV set as well. Since I made Clefable more of a physical wall, and Landorus already has a lot of physical bulk in the first place thanks to Intimidate, I would go with a (252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Careful Nature). Also I'm not a fan of Heatrans set, I feel with this team you can benefit more from the Magma Trap Taunt set to kill off certain walls. So I would go with Stealth Rock > Knock off since Rillaboom already has Knock Off.

For Ninetales-Alola I think Choice Scarf would be better since 328 Positive Speed sometimes isn't enough (Referring to Scarfed Mew) and Ninetales-Alola gives 348 Positive Speed. This will allow you to outspeed Garchomp (After 1 Scale Shot) and allows you to Speed tie Kartana if it's Beast Boosting speed, which I can see both Pokémon could be problematic. Weavile and Dragapult usually don't see it coming (Ninetales being scarfed). Also since you don't use Psyshock that much I would say Foul Play could be a great option when it comes to hitting certain mons that have their Physical Attack stat already boosted.
:Ninetales-Alola:
Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Foul Play

Rillaboom - I would go with Superpower > High Horspower in order to hit Ferrothorn and Corviknight harder.

Heatran should go with this Magma Storm trap set, it breaks down certain switch-ins (Like Tyranitar) that look to beat out Heatran, you can go for the Toxic and wear them out throughout the game.
:heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

With Mew, this is just an opinion but a Cosmic Power set can work real well with Clefable since if you get poisoned you can go ahead and heal up with Aromatherapy. You can keep the current Mew set if you prefer it.
:mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Body Press
- Roost

Good luck with this team!

Last edited:
Cool team!
Some changes i would make are:

:Heatran: Flamethrower -> Lava Plume/Magma Storm and Flash Cannon -> Earth Power

Although Flamethrower is accurate and strong, Lava Plume and Magma Storm are better options. Lava Plume has a ridiculously high burn chance which is very useful for a more defensive pokemon like heatran. Magma storm is super strong and the passive damage is very strong. Earth Power is a better option than Flash Cannon because it pairs well with fire coverage wise.

:Mew: Iron Head -> Flare Blitz and maybe Earthquake -> Close Combat

Iron Head doesn’t help mew very much and it gets walled by corv. Flare Blitz fixes that issue. I say Close Combat is also good because it hit dark types who want to switch into mew but this depends on preference.

:Ninetales-Alola: Psyshock -> Dark Pulse/Psychic

You can keep psyshock for Blissey, but Blissey isn’t
all that common. Psychic is stronger and hit pex stronger. Dark Pulse hits steels neutrally and hits ghosts

I’m not all that good at rating but hope this helps!
Psyshock doesn't even 2HKO Blissey so it really wasn't worth it. I do feel Mew's moveset is kinda awkward lol. Thanks so much for the comment :)

Hello there,

Cool team, I like the use of Ninetails on the teams, and love what it brings to the table.

I'll give threats I see and then suggest changes:

Threats: I can see Swords Dance Bisharp being a problem, it would break through Clefable regardless of Unaware being present via Iron Head, after 1 SD Landorus-Therian cannot do anything because of Defiant, and the only answer you have is Heatran and Ninetales. If Heatran or Ninetales are in low Health, they could get beaten by Knock Off / Sucker Punch (So be careful if you see it in team preview).

Suggestions:

I feel like to use Unaware Clefable to the fullest potential, it should start of as a physical wall so if you need special defense you can just Calm Mind so go with (Bold Nature 252 HP/ 252 Def /4 SpD). The move set looks fine, definitely kill off Poison, Steel, and Fire types so you can setup late game with Clefable.

For Landorus-Therian I would go with different EV set as well. Since I made Clefable more of a physical wall, and Landorus already has a lot of physical bulk in the first place thanks to Intimidate, I would go with a (252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Careful Nature). Also I'm not a fan of Heatrans set, I feel with this team you can benefit more from the Magma Trap Taunt set to kill off certain walls. So I would go with Stealth Rock > Knock off since Rillaboom already has Knock Off.

For Ninetales-Alola I think Choice Scarf would be better since 328 Positive Speed sometimes isn't enough (Referring to Scarfed Mew) and Ninetales-Alola gives 348 Positive Speed. This will allow you to outspeed Garchomp (After 1 Scale Shot) and allows you to Speed tie Kartana if it's Beast Boosting speed, which I can see both Pokémon could be problematic. Weavile and Dragapult usually don't see it coming (Ninetales being scarfed). Also since you don't use Psyshock that much I would say Foul Play could be a great option when it comes to hitting certain mons that have their Physical Attack stat already boosted.
:Ninetales-Alola:
Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Foul Play

Rillaboom - I would go with Superpower > High Horspower in order to hit Ferrothorn and Corviknight harder.

Heatran should go with this Magma Storm trap set, it breaks down certain switch-ins (Like Tyranitar) that look to beat out Heatran, you can go for the Toxic and wear them out throughout the game.
:heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

With Mew, this is just an opinion but a Cosmic Power set can work real well with Clefable since if you get poisoned you can go ahead and heal up with Aromatherapy. You can keep the current Mew set if you prefer it.
:mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Body Press
- Roost

Good luck with this team!
Wow tysm for commenting on the EVs spread, I feel that's my weakest point when it comes to teambuilding.
I never went for Magma Storm because I'm to afraid of it missing but I always see it being used against me so I figured I was in the wrong lol.
Also that Mew set is beautiful, I've never seen it before.
Thank you so much for the answer and taking the time to comment :)

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Hello! This team has a very solid Grassy Terrain core with Rillaboom/Landorus-T/Heatran/Clefable, but there are a few things that look odd to me. I hope my suggestions can lead to a better experience playing this tier :woop:

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/ac118fc006c61609

Main changes were swapping Mew and Alolan Ninetales for Rotom-W and Kartana respectively. The core of this team is a relatively bulky one that relies on status and positioning to slowly wear down opposing teams, so the inclusion of two choiced Pokemon that don't add much to the defensive profile of the team felt rather awkward. Rotom-W has fantastic defensive synergy with Heatran and Landorus-T, as it can soak up the Water-type attacks that threaten the two while making progress with Will-O-Wisp/Volt Switch/Pain Split. I do recognise that this team needs Speed control, so Choice Scarf Kartana is an excellent choice due to its excellent Speed tier and Leaf Blade being strengthened in Grassy Terrain.

Unaware Clefable is a perfectly fine Pokemon, but it is mainly found on stall teams looking for a sturdy win condition as they can reliably clear hazards and shield it from status conditions. Your balance team does not have that luxury, so I changed the pixie into a standard Magic Guard set that is an excellent Stealth Rock setter and great disruptor with Thunder Wave.

With Stealth Rock duties elsewhere, Heatran is now free to run Toxic, which pairs well with Defog Landorus-T to check special threats like Dragapult and Tapu Lele. Rillaboom was changed into a bulky Swords Dance set as this team makes progress at a more methodical pace, so the extra recovery and ability to become a late-game sweeper is incredibly valuable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)